• Published 27th Dec 2020
  • 1,118 Views, 74 Comments

One Thousand Years Ago - Scroll



The past has come back to haunt Cozy Glow in more ways than one. The fate of those who shared a similar history hangs in the balance.

  • ...
7
 74
 1,118

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: The Culprit

There are many reasons Cheese Pie loves the tour of Sire's Hollow. This is the first time she's been here, she loves the crowds (even though it is very physically draining to her), it is so fascinating to see the birth of a new culture dawning, and she shares this experience with some of her closest friends.

But there is a reason she cannot tolerate experiences like this for too long, as much as she might like to. Cheese Pie is an empath, but she is not a psychic empath. Instead, she is a physical empath. It is her body that reacts the most to the emotional impressions of others, not her mind. At least, not at first.

All sorts of physical sensations permeate her body when she is around others. In general, the more positive those emotions are, the more comforting the physical sensations are and vice versa. She is still learning the details of the process. It's like speaking a new language, except there is nopony in the world that can teach her. She is the only pony in the world (that she knows of) that speaks this kind of empathic body language.

For example, if she is around somepony who is irritable, Cheese's hide gets itchy. The more severe the irritation, the greater the physical effects. If she is around gut-wrenching raw agony instead, Cheese can barely stand for more than a few seconds, for she grows extremely ill due to multiple severe symptoms. It's like blasting her energy with a cannonball.

The biggest problem with her is the fact that these symptoms are cumulative. The more creatures she is surrounded with who are capable of emotion, the more all of those effects stack on top of each other. Being in a crowd is blasting her body with a multitude of physical sensations, very often many kinds of symptoms at a time. Most of the time they shift very quickly, but there are times when crowd mentality unites. When they do, they project very similar kinds of emotions. Events, like parties, generally evoke positive emotions en masse. Cheese often feels such a high when ponies sing together in joy and harmony. So strong are these effects for her that it can leave her dizzy for quite a while afterward.

A blast of high energy can temporarily make her feel hyper, but it eventually causes a physical drain due to exhaustion. Conversely, life-sapping energy, such as being around depressed ponies, is a drain on Cheese's vitality, and it is very difficult to recover from that as long as she remains around that influence. That is a major motive for Cheese to cheer others up. Either that, or completely leave.

The latter doesn't always work for her, however. Generally she only feels the emotions of others in a very local area, but there were a few times her body has been blind to the emotions of others even if they are directly adjacent to her. Conversely, she's been known to feel the emotions of others from a substantial distance. The difference between the two seems to depend on how close of an emotional attachment she has to another. The more she cares about somepony, the greater the distance she can feel them. It's as if her body gets adapted to the circadian rhythm of another.

As much as she loves parties, there is a factor that causes Cheese to need to withdraw after a while. That is why she isn't into parties as much as her parents. She does enjoy it, but can only tolerate it in limited doses. The same things goes for crowds in general. Cheese wants to be more sociable, but there are deterring factors.

One thing that can help compensate for that is the consumption of sweets, particularly anything that has sugar. Not only can that help give her a boost of energy when she needs it, but it turns out her body downright requires it because her family's metabolism is so dangerously high that they can actually digest and gather nutrition from rocks, although in that case, it's like trying to squeeze moisture from a dry turnip. It works if they're desperate, but they'll have to eat a whole lot of it to make up for the lack of nutrition. Fortunately for her family, rocks cost nothing on their farm, so they can essentially survive without any money at all.

However, food with actual nutrition in it can cause a huge jolt of energy considering they can gather something from almost nothing, such as rocks. Sweets, such as cupcakes, is an especially strong pick-me-up.

On the other hoof, the energy it provides tends to be short-lived. It can cause such an intense blast of energy for a short time that she can literally bounce off the ground and walls, but that much extra energy is very draining in the long gallop, and besides . . . her family digest that stuff unusually fast. They have to eat a ton of sweets just to struggle to maintain normal body weight, else they'd starve out quickly.

So, for multiple reasons, the Pie family learned it is necessary to remain prepared for the important things. It might also be why their mane has grown adapted to store lots of stuff, for that is required in case they need to pop a cupcake just to maintain normal energy level, or more likely cause a short spike of energy followed by a sharp decline unless they pop yet another cupcake.

In Cheese's case, her metabolism is not that powerful. She tried digesting rocks at one time. It made her kind of sick, and she ultimately threw it up. Just because her metabolism isn't as high as the rest of her family, however, doesn't mean it isn't unusually high. It's more like an eight out of ten instead of a ten out of ten in terms of strength, while the rest of Equestria comfortably sits at an average five out of ten.

So, with both interest augmented by critical necessity, Cheese has learned to bake some delicious pastries thanks to both of her parents, and her mother in particular. Also, the Cake family. On top of that, Cheese has learned it is necessary to stock up on an extra supply of pastries to carry with her just to make her functional in normal pony society.

Since Cheese's digestive system is not as crazy strong as her mother's side of the family, it means the nutrients of food can last a little longer in her system, or at least that would have been the case if it weren't for the physical drain caused by the presence of emotions from others.

From an early age, Cheese was taught to appreciate the uniqueness of every pony. That kind of mentality is deeply intrinsic to a race where their individual destiny is so strong and so blatantly advertised that it is on display on the rump of every adult pony. For this reason, her culture taught her to appreciate her own value, contribution, and differences in society.

Just like everypony is taught, she had to learn to feel her own way through her life and discover more information as it comes. It's an ever-evolving process that tends to lead to some very rigid thinking in the long gallop because each pony tends to get trapped in their own mode of thinking. Enough so that their whole life revolves around some central theme such as rocks, apples, parties, or whatever.

Ponies like Rumble seem to be a very rare exception for the race. After all, having a cutie mark indicative of the pursuit of “everything” would seem to make him a rare example of flexible thinking, but Cheese has a sneaking suspicion that he has his own pattern too, and his own limitations as well.

So, despite her intense fascination with the tour, Cheese found some necessity to pull back eventually. Not enough to bring it up herself, but enough not to reject when somepony else suggests a break first.

Besides, this tour brings about an unusually intense reaction with her traveling companion Cozy, and in a very bad way, though most other creatures would not know that from the surface. In fact, Cozy seems unusually innocent and friendly, but Cheese has learned that is just a front to hide Cozy's true emotions. Whenever she gets especially cutesy, that is actually a dangerous sign that Cozy is secretly up to no good. Right now, Cozy is dripping with ultra-intense, sugary-sweet charm. It is absolutely chilling for Cheese to notice how much Cozy's surface emotions sharply contrast her inner emotions. This is the most intense example of insincerity Cheese has ever seen from her friend.

All the innocent smiles, rapidly blinking eyes, blushes, girlish giggles, and “golly gumdrops” serve as a front to hide an insidious amount of pain, loathing, fear, and dark schemes.

When Cozy bumped into another creature on accident at one time (and from what Cheese has observed, it was a true accident on both of their parts), Cozy immediately hovered in the air as she places both of her hooves on her cheeks with a bashful expression as she wails, “Oh golly goodness. I'm so sorry, Mister. Will you ever forgive me? I am such a klutz.”

“No. Entirely my fault,” the very long-necked creature with dark gray hide says as he attempts to pick himself up, but his long brown robes cause his balance to be a tad tricky.

“Please, allow me to help you, Mister,” Cozy pleads as she offers both of her hooves. “It's the least little ol' me can do to help make up for your inconvenience.”

“Ah . . . sure,” the creature eventually decides.

As an outside observer to this, Cheese learns that Cozy's tactics to conceal her true emotions definitely works. In fact, Cheese had noticed that the other creature was initially wary and suspicious of Cozy, as if he was afraid that Cozy might have used that “accidental” bump to steal something. However, he fell for Cozy's act completely, which is precisely what reinforces Cozy's behavior. She does it because it works, even within a wary society. A more gullible society, such as pony society, tends to fall for her tricks all the easier.

However, as Cozy aided the other creature’s balance by pulling him up, Cheese felt an inward shudder as she sensed Cozy's intense urge to do some extreme harm to the one she's pretending to help, such as snap his long neck. If she did it, she'd likely maintain that innocent smile even if blood splashed on her face, thereby making her expression all the more unsettling.

“Thank you, young lady,” the creature says to Cozy in gratitude. “You're such a sweet young thing.”

“Oh golly, Mister. I try my awful best! You have a great day, and don't make a habit of bumping into any more strangers. You hear?”

To Cheese’s more preceptive senses, she realized there was a hidden threat behind Cozy’s otherwise kind and innocent-sounding words.

“Such a nice young pony,” the stranger says with a pleasant smile. “Good day to you too, young filly.”

There is an extremely subtle twitch in Cozy's eye that is easy to miss. Cheese would have missed it if she wasn't looking right at Cozy's face.

“It's mare now, but thank you! You have a scrum-diddly-umptious day, Mister!” Cozy cheers.

“I will,” the stranger returns before moving on his way.

Cheese sighs with relief. That stranger had no idea how tempted his “rescuer” was to murdering him in cold blood. The fact that they were both in public view might have been Cozy's primary deterrent, but if this encounter had occurred in an isolated alley, the results likely would have been far more evil.

There is a chilling look in Cozy's eyes when she glances at Cheese, as if to threaten, “I know that you know how I feel, and you better keep it to yourself.”

I'm not usually the one to cut a fascinating tour short, especially if it gives me a chance to observe a unique and budding new culture. However, after observing that newest encounter and sensing its hidden and sinister undertones, I've got butterflies in my stomach now, and it's making me feel tired and drained.

“I really appreciate the tour you have given us, Mister Coppertop,” Cheese says to their tour guide brightly. “I really mean it.

“However, it is getting late, and I feel concerned about the fate of Sunset Shimmer. She might need some emotional support right now, so I would appreciate it all the more if you can start giving us a tour that leads in that direction.”

“Aww! Tired of me already?” Chester playfully teases Cheese.

Ironically, Cheese has the exact opposite impression of their tour guide compared to Cozy. He seems sinister on the outside, but inwardly he's a big softy.

As a friend, Cheese loves Cozy to death, but right now she's feeling far more comfortable with this evil-looking spider creature than she is with her smiling and giddy-looking friend who might be inwardly giggling with insane glee as she privately debates how many strips of flesh would it take to peel off others before they painfully die.

“Not in the slightest!” Cheese cries back happily. “I love this tour, and I love seeing these new and interesting sights.” Cheese's smile fades as she continues, “But our friend, Sunset, might be in a lot of pain right now. For my own peace of mind, I want to check on her. Besides that, I am feeling a little tired.”

Chester lifts the top of his tall black hat as he says, “As you wish, my dear. It's your bits, after all, and I'm only too happy to serve.”

“A tour that has been quite informative,” Sunburst chimes in. “For that, I do indeed appreciate it. It has been a while since I've been back in my old town, but right now it's starting to feel trivial next to the important events that might be unfolding in the Duchess mansion.”

Sunburst floats his glasses off of his face for a moment as he wipes it with a cloth, then replaces it on his face as he requests, “Please escort us to the mansion, my good sir.”

Chester taps multiple limbs together as he suggests, “If you all feel the situation is that urgent, perhaps it would be best to hail a carriage down. If so, I know the best place to do so, and I could get you a good deal on it.”

“That would be perfect!” Sunburst agrees. “Lead on, my friend.”


After knocking on the large front double doors to the mansion, Sunburst looks from the door to Cheese as she exclaims, “Wow! Now I can see how you were able to personally afford so many books, Sunburst.”

Sunburst sighs as he looks back at the door while waiting, then says, “It's true that books aren't cheap, especially considering the sheer volume of the ones I have, but many of the books I have in my youth wasn't purchased myself. Instead, they are things my family has accumulated across multiple generations. Since I was able to make the most of it, it was decided that they should go to me. Aside from that, I took very good care of them and also kept them well organized.

“However, I do not closely associate myself with this side of the family. In fact, every time I come here, I feel like I'm entering into a stranger’s home and that I need to be on my best behavior, for high society like this will indeed judge others very critically.” He shakes his head. “So I can't relax here. This isn't a standard of living I feel personally comfortable with, which is why-”

Sunburst cuts himself off when the door opens. Before long, he is muzzle to muzzle with the tall and angular elderly Headmaid of the household.

“Good evening, Missus Karmichael,” Sunburst greets diplomatically. “It is my understanding that my cousin, Sunset Shimmer, has proceeded here before us.”

“Indeed,” the Headmaid agrees with a pointy nose arrogantly holding up in the air. This forces her to look down upon Sunburst literally and figuratively, especially considering her natural height. “Took you long enough to return to the estate, Master Sunburst.”

“Oh, please. No 'master' stuff,” Sunburst requests as he floats his glasses further up his ever sliding muzzle. “I'm just a guest here. One who requests admittance for myself and my compony.”

Missus Karmichael rolls her eyes in disgust, but she also steps aside to let them pass.

“Mistress Sunset is indeed within the estate,” Karmichael confirms. “Do you request for me to alert her to your presence?”

“Please,” Sunburst gladly invites. “In the meantime, I would also appreciate an escort to the study room. We can reconvene there.”

“Very good,” Missus Karmichael acknowledges with a nod to another servant, silently bidding that pony to guide the guests to the study room.


Cheese Pie pulls her fluffy pink mane down for a moment with a hoof. Doing so causes it to stretch. After a few seconds of building tension, she releases her hold on her mane. When that happens, her mane bounces back into its previous puffy shape, except it also ejects a cupcake spinning in the air. After making an upside-down U shape pattern in the air, Cheese gobbles it up in one fell swoop. Her mouth briefly stretches to impossible proportions to accommodate for that trick, but she thinks nothing of it.

Mmm! Tasty, if I do say so myself, Cheese thinks to herself before her eyes scan across the wall of books in the study room, eventually to settle on one of the doors just as it opens and admits Sunset Shimmer, Luster Dawn, and one other middle-aged mare earth pony with bright purple hide, purple eyes, mix of dark purple and lime green mane, and somewhat chubby figure. Cheese has never seen this maid before, but this pony’s proportions kind of reminds Cheese of Missus Cake somewhat.

Eager to make friends, Cheese happily bounces up to Sunset but regards the stranger upon her approach. Upon arrival, she asks, “Hey, Sunset! Who is your new friend?”

“Huh?” Sunset looks bewildered and taken aback for a moment. She even scans the company that followed her in to identify whom Cheese might be referring to. Doing so causes her to quickly figure it out. “Oh! You mean Fluffy here.” Sunset smiles at Cheese warmly. “Well, the pony who may be a new friend to you is a very old friend of mine.” Looking across the room, Sunset announces to everyone in the room, “Everypony, meet my old friend here in the mansion, Fluffy Muffin.”

“Ha . . . hello,” Fluffy Muffin greets with a shy but also happy blush. “Pleasure to meet you all. I'm so pleased to learn that Sunset has finally earned herself some new friends. That's quite a relief, actually. For the longest time, her friendship list was startlingly narrow.”

“I've had plenty of practice, since then, in that department,” Sunset assures over her shoulder to her old friend as she continues to trot into the study room. “Trust me on this.”

“Oh, I trust you,” Fluffy says with a brighter smile. “Just seeing everypony in this room, I am reminded that-”

Fluffy is cut off when Gallus clears his throat, then he says, “I hate to be a buzzkill here, but not everyone in the room fits the 'every pony' category,” Gallus says with talon quotes.

“Oh! Excuse me, Sir!” Fluffy exclaims to Gallus. “My apologies!” She focuses on him for a moment, then grew doubly surprised in addition to being embarrassed.

The maid is also afraid of Gallus for some reason, Cheese is caught off-guard to notice.

“My goodness!” Fluffy explains. “A palace guard?” she inquires after noticing his uniform, minus his helmet, which he is currently tucking under a wing. “I . . . I . . . I didn't know anypony employed your kind at the Royal Canterlot Castle. You must be very good at your job!”

“Well, I'm fairly good,” Gallus says with a cocky smirk, “but it isn't because of my race.” His look suddenly shifts to a far more serious one. “It's because of my friends and those who trained me, and also my determination to protect my friends. That is why I'm good at my job.”

For a moment, Fluffy stands up on her rear hind legs and uses her forelegs to curtsy to Gallus with her maid’s outfit as she says, “That's very admirable of you, Sir.” She lowers herself back to all four hooves. “It is a pleasure to see a non-pony race working towards the stability and security of everypony.” She looks out the window with a sad sigh. “I just wish there were more out there who think like you do.”

“What?!” Gallus asks in a bit of alarm. “Are there security risks out on the streets of town?”

“More than I'd care to admit, I'm sad to say,” Fluffy laments. “The streets of Sire's Hollow isn't what it used to be. What, with all the new immigrants pouring into the town practically every day.” She brightens back up a bit. “But at least it's been a pretty big boost for our local economy. I'm pretty sure that's why the Mistress did what she did.”

“It's more than that,” Sunset assures as she approaches behind and rests one hoof on the back of one of the chairs in the room.

“You told me that you found something out,” Luster Dawn reminds Sunset, “but you wanted to speak of it here so you can explain this to all of your friends simultaneously. Well, we're all here, aren't we? So spill it.

“Also, hello, Father,” Luster says to her father directly. “It's good to see you again.” Her expression hardens to a slightly grim expression. “We need to talk later on.”

“I figured we would,” Sunburst replies to his daughter.

“Where's Mom?” Luster checks with her Dad.

“Still at the school,” Sunburst replies again. “Classes are still in session, and we figured that this trip didn't require all of us. Starlight was tempted to temporarily close the school so that we all can deal with this family matter, but I assured her that it wasn't necessary. That I could hoofle this issue myself.” He waves at his daughter. “Plus, I knew you were here, and I trusted you to take care of matters. I'm just here to support you.” He looks at his cousin. “And Sunset too, of course.”

“Last I checked, Mom didn't seem too keen to come,” Luster recalls.

Sunburst rolls his eyes as he says, “Well, you know how she is. Despite being a councelor for so many years, your mother has some trouble expressing herself when things get too personal.” He looks down. “Believe me, I understand. There are things about this place that I would have preferred to put behind me, too. Why, just outside the front door to the mansion,” he continues as he looks back up at his daughter with his eyes only, but his face remains directed downward, thus he is looking at her over the top rim of his glasses. “I had to endure being called 'Master' again.”

Luster grins at her father as she says, “Me too, except I think I could get used to that.”

“It comes with a bigger price than you might think,” Sunset warns. “Sunburst and I endured that as we grew up in this town. It can be quite socially isolating.”

“Then I definitely would have loved that when I was younger, but now . . .” Luster trails off.

Sunset looks down for a moment as she takes a deep breath as if to gather her courage. Looking upon her, Cheese realizes that is exactly what Sunset is doing.

But, just before Sunset speaks, she is interrupted by her friend.

“My goodness!” Fluffy exclaims in surprise again. “Are you . . . are you Cozy Glow?”

“That's me!” Cozy concurs with a bright smile and rapidly blinking eyes. “That's my name. Don't wear it out.”

“I hear that you are the adopted daughter of Princess Twilight now!” Fluffy continues in surprise.

“Indeed,” Cozy agrees with narrowing eyes and a devious grin spread across her face. “So I'm royalty now, and don't you forget it!”

“No wonder a palace guard came here,” Fluffy realizes. “So . . . you're really Cozy Glow. Funny . . . after all the rumors I heard about you, somehow I thought you'd be taller.”

“Well, I was while under the influence of chaos magic,” Cozy mumbles bitterly under her breath, but Cheese is close enough to overhear.

“What was that?” Fluffy wonders while aiming an ear at Cozy carefully. “I didn't catch that.”

“Nothing!” Cozy reflects while suddenly raising her charming mask with her bright, innocent, and exceedingly fake happy smile again. “Continue with whatever you were doing, peasant.” She focuses on Sunset with a much more serious expression. “Actually, you had something important to say, didn't you?” She narrows one eye at Sunset. “What did you find out?”

Cheese suspects that she's not the only one in the room to realize Cozy was simply trying to divert the subject matter away from herself, but she also knew that her friend was genuinely curious about the answer to that question.

They all are.

“Everypony, I . . .” Sunset sighs as she trails off, then flashes Gallus an apologetic look. “Excuse me, everyone . . . I have an important announcement. My mother . . . the Duchess of Sire's Hollow . . . has recently passed away.”

The room grows deathly quiet, except for Fluffy bursting into a sob. Other than that, the silence is eventually broken first by Sunburst.

“So . . . we really have arrived too late to save her,” Sunburst laments.

“I told you all we should have all gone to the mansion right away!” Cozy growls irritably. “If we all came here first instead of wasting our time with that accursed tour, I could have saved her!”

“Really?!” Luster exclaims in surprise at Cozy. “How?”

Cozy stomps a hoof on the ground in frustration as she complains, “I already told you this . . .” She trails off when she realizes whom she's talking to, then amends in a calmer tone. “Um . . . no. Ah, I didn't explain this to you.” She points to a red crystal dangling on her neck as she asks, “You see this? This is a magic crystal I've gathered from another world. Normally it only has the power to control and recharge machines, but it also happens to house a mighty spirit at the moment who also just happens to be an expert at crystal magic.” She focuses on Sunset again. “If I had come here sooner, I could have locked your mother's body in a crystal stasis spell, exactly like the one currently housing my counterpart.”

“Okay, you lost me,” Luster informs with a confused blink and a brief shake of her head.

“I don't think it would have worked,” Sunset returns to Cozy.

“Why not?” Cozy asks back.

“It's . . . it's hard to explain, but suffice to say that I sincerely believe it was my mother's time to go,” Sunset announces to the room with a heavy heart.

“You did speak with her, didn't you?” Luster realizes in astonishment. “Your magic crystal actually worked!

“Wait a second.” Luster peers sharply at Cozy. “Is your crystal anything like hers?”

“Yes and no,” Sunset explains to Luster as she turns to face her fully. “The crystal she has stemmed from a similar source, but it is a different crystal and it has different powers. Technically, it isn't her crystal exactly, but the one it is meant for is basically like her identical twin who happens to dwell in another world and has a similar but also alien form.”

“So,” Luster begins at Sunset, “did you manage to contact your mother or not?”

“I did,” Sunset replies.

“And?” Luster tilts her head. “Don't keep all of us in suspense. What did she say?”

Sunset looks off to her side. It is difficult for her to meet anyone's eyes. “Mother, she . . . she wasn't the same pony that I knew in life.”

“That stands to reason,” Sunburst figures. “Your knowledge of your mother is decades out of date.”

“It's more than that!” Sunset snaps at Sunburst more sharply than she intends. Immediately after saying that, and particularly due to the intensity of her reaction, she reels afterward with regret. She sighs as she looks down and rubs the back of her neck, then laments, “Darn it, Luster, I wish your mother had come. I could use a counselor right now, and the irony is I was studying to become one myself.”

Cheese scans the others in the room. Most of them are hanging their heads in collective silence and regret. After that, Cheese bounds her way next to Sunset and places a sympathetic hoof on her shoulder, then says, “We may not have an official counselor with us for the moment, so how about a friend?”

“Agreed,” Gallus concurs. “And you are surrounded by those. Both the old and the new.”

For a moment, Sunset is closed in from all sides by the other occupants in the room into one massive group hug. Gallus and Cozy are the last to join.

“I know it's sappy,” Gallus says to Cozy with a roll of his eyes just before he approaches Sunset to join in the group hug, “but she is our friend. You care about her too, don't you?”

Cozy Glow really is the last holdout, but Cheese senses that Cozy understands the pain of that kind of loss. Cozy dwells on it for a brief moment before finally moving to join in the group hug. She even wraps her wings around the group.

“Thanks, everyone,” Sunset says tearfully. “That really does make me feel better.”

After everyone pulls back away from her, Sunburst asks, “What did you mean exactly by Aunt Eventide not being the same pony?”

“Well, that's just it. She wasn't,” Sunset assured. “I met the version of her that already kinda-sorta crossed over into the afterlife. You have to understand, I met her mere moments after she just passed away, yet she seemed like the kind of pony that's already been there for a long time.”

In astonishment, Sunburst's glasses slid down his muzzle again until it nears the tip of his muzzle. When he recovers his wits enough to talk, he also uses his magic to float his glasses back up his muzzle while asking, “Are you telling me that you actually spoke with Eventide after she passed away?” His excitement seems to rise. “This could answer so many questions about the other side. The great mystery beyond!”

Sunset shakes her head as she says, “She didn't come to me to answer questions about the afterlife, she came to me to say goodbye. To give me closure, and to give me a message.”

The reaction this causes in the room causes Cheese to realize something horrifying. After that, she immediately tries to seize Sunset's attention.

“Sunset, I need to talk to you urgently!” Cheese begs Sunset in a frantically uncharacteristic way.

“What is it, Cheese?” Sunset asks.

Cheese leans in close and whispers into Sunset's ear, “You know your old friend, Fluffy Muffin here?”

“Yeah,” Sunset replies.

“She killed your mom!” Cheese exclaims in a grim whisper to Sunset's ear.

What?!” Sunset cries aloud in astonished horror. “No! That can't be! She wouldn't do that! Besides, Mom died of illness.”

“And do you know why?” Cheese asks aloud. “Trust me, she's hiding something. Her feelings of guilt are way too intense, and in a very specific way. Also, she is afraid of getting caught.”

“Are you sure?!” Sunset asks critically.

“I suppose I'm not,” Cheese admits. “But . . . there is a way you can be.”

“Why? What's going on?” Cozy asks in rising alarm.

Cheese tilts her head towards Fluffy subtly but maintains eye contact with Sunset along with a pleading “trust me” kind of expression.

Sunset locks eyes with Cheese with a hard stare for several long moments, then she trots over to her old friend.

“What?” Fluffy asks while shriveling with a very worried expression.

Sunset closes her eyes, sighs, then says, “Forgive me,” then touches Fluffy Muffin while igniting her crystal's magic power. This causes her eyes to glow white for a few seconds before fading away.

“Wha . . . what just happened?” Fluffy asks, feeling frightened and bewildered.

“That was a mind scan,” Cheese explains grimly. “She knows everything now. She knows what you did.”

“What are you talking about?” Gallus asks Cheese.

Cheese snaps her head sharply in Gallus's direction as she says, “Sunset will explain that in a second, unless Fluffy confesses first.” She looks back at Fluffy with sudden sympathy. “I think . . . I think a strong part of her wants to.”

“You killed the Duchess,” Cozy realizes aloud. “Didn't you?” she asks towards Fluffy.

What?!” Sunburst exclaims with similar intensity as his cousin a moment ago.

“It was poison, wasn't it?” Cozy figures. “One designed to look like a natural illness.” She pauses a moment as she glances down, then looks back up at Fluffy. “I even think I figured out why you did it.”

“More specifically,” Sunset begins as she ignites her horn with magic. As a result, a tiny vial floats out of Fluffy's maid dress. “this poison.” She floats it closer to Fluffy. “Care to drink this and prove that it's benign?”

Fluffy endures her old friend's hard look for only a few seconds, then looks down glumly as she asks, “How did you know?”

“With this!” Sunset exclaims sharply as she floats her magic crystal up. “As I mentioned earlier, this allows me the power to read others’ minds.”

“Does it, now?” Fluffy asks as she bravely fought to look back at her friend. “Then you also realize how much I regret this necessity? Does that also mean you know why I had to do it?”

“You didn't have to do ANYTHING!” Sunset yells at the end of her sentence. “YOU KILLED MY MOTHER, FLUFFY! I thought we were friends!”

“My actions were never meant to betray you,” Fluffy assures. “I only did what I thought was right to save Equestria.”

Save?!” Gallus asks incredulously. “You committed murder to save Equestria? How does that figure?”

“It's the immigrants, isn't it?” Cozy figures. “You took her out because of her policy.” She looks sharply at Luster. “My guess is you were hoping to guide the next successor of the Duchess into a different decision. That is what you wanted to talk to your father about in privacy, isn't it? The old Duchess left everything to you.”

“Wha-?” Sunburst looks at Cozy in shock, then passes that same look to his daughter. “Sunny-Beam, is this true?”

“Ah . . .” Luster looks about at everyone in the room uncomfortably, then admits as she closes her eyes, “Yes, Father. She left it all to me.” She opens her eyes again and looks back at her father. “You know what this means, right, if I accept the job?”

“Cozy is right,” Sunset announces. “That's exactly why you killed my mom,” she says to Fluffy directly, but her voice is a little more steady. More understanding. “You were afraid that if they continue pouring in, they'll eventually take over Equestria.”

Or corrupt it!” Fluffy adds emphatically. “You scanned my mind, right? Then you know it’s already started to happen. Fights are breaking out on the streets all the time!” she swears to Sunset, then glances at Gallus as she explains to him, “That is the security risk I implied earlier.” She looks back at Sunset. “They are not that bad at ponies yet. I know because I met them personally. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, Sunset. I really did. For a while, too, I was honestly convinced that this could work . . . but eventually I started to notice cracks growing at the seams everywhere!

“Many fights were breaking out on the streets ever since they came. Most of it was between the non-pony races, but eventually, it spread to ponies in a different way.” She put both of her forehooves on Sunset's shoulders as she cries out, “It's the foals, Sunset! They are starting to get as violent as the immigrants! They are young and impressionable, and they see how the newcomers are acting with each other. Plus, there are other ways they influence our youths. They encourage them to lie, cheat, steal, and act violently. It's only a matter of time before members of our own kind start to get as bloodthirsty as them.”

“You don't know that!” Gallus accuses.

“Yes I DO!” Fluffy cries out. “You think this is easy for me to accept? I fought this conclusion for so long, and even when I finally realized the truth . . . all I did was send multiple letters of concern to your mother.” She looks back at Sunset. “I wasn't the only one to do it, either. Multiple petitions signed by many ponies were sent to her, and she ignored them all. This is our town too, Sunset! Every decision she makes . . . every act she does or doesn't do . . . deeply affects us all, and she didn't care!”

“Yes she did,” Sunset assures. “Far more than you know.”

Fluffy looks taken aback by the intensity of Sunset's conviction. After that, she realizes why her friend might be so certain, so she concedes, “Okay. So you do know how much she cared. Maybe it is far more than I thought. I'm willing to acknowledge that, but the fact remains that her actions and inactions allowed this problem to continue to fester, and I'm sure it would have spread into the rest of Equestria.

“I care about our town too, Sunset, and I deeply care about our youth. I hate what I've become and what I had to do, but I do not regret it because I understand how necessary it was. No matter what it takes, no matter what I have to do, I have to protect our foals! They are innocent. They are our future, and they don't deserve the awful fate we're starting to condemn them to.”

“Just because they are not ponies doesn't make them automatically evil!” Gallus cries out passionately. “I know! I'm one of them.”

Fluffy shakes her head at Gallus as she says, “I'm not accusing you personally of anything, Sir, and I don't hate you either. I don't even fear you anymore. I used to because of your authority, but I think I'm now at peace with that as well. You see, I want to be punished.” She looks back at Sunset. “I deserve it. I know, but I consider my actions a necessary sacrifice to protect the greater good. You haven't been here for many years, Sunset. You haven't seen what their influences have been like, and I'm not the only one to notice either. We realized it's going to get worse if we do nothing to stop it.”

“Did you act alone?” Gallus asks critically.

“Yes, she did,” Sunset assures, “other than the vendor she bought the poison from, but even then . . . the vendor didn't know whom that poison would be used on.

“In fact, the poison she got wasn't lethal at all at first. It only became that way when it was mixed with several other ingredients. Sold separately, the other ingredients were perfectly legal for the most part.”

“This is true,” Fluffy confesses. “I acted alone in this heinous act, so I alone bear the responsibility of this action.”

“You used the books here, didn't you?” Sunburst realizes. “Our family has access to a great deal of information. It isn't hard to imagine that one of them might involve alchemy.”

Fluffy nods in silence for a moment, then says, “As you have said.”

Fluffy focuses on Sunset again as she says, “I'm not asking for your forgiveness. You lost too much for that. What I am asking for is understanding because the cause itself is too important. Do whatever you want to me, but you all need to know the danger that is growing here. I beg you . . . stop the immigration before it's too late! The damage they've already done may last for generations, but it's so much better than what will happen if nothing is done to oppose this awful pattern.”

There is a moment of silence between the mostly stunned group, broken first by Cozy.

“You ponies don't know how much this land is a paradise,” Cozy begins grimly. “You'd never know that until you have seen the lands beyond it. I have! That's why I'm not as gullible as all of you.

“Fluffy is right! Everything that she fears that might happen to Equestria will happen. I know because I've already been there. I was born into it. I was raised there. I lived it! Ponies locked in cages. Ponies used as slave labor. Ponies used as food!

“NONE of you know what it's like to grow up with that kind of fear, pain, and humiliation!” Cozy cries out as she spreads her wings wide and tears rise in her eyes. “I have! I was tortured by that every single day! Unable to fly! Unable to be free! Unable to embrace my destiny because-”

Cozy got cut off in astonishment when Cheese suddenly hugs her. After a moment of stunned silence, she asks her friend, “What are you doing?”

“Giving you what you need,” Cheese replies tightly as she gives her friend a desperately affectionate squeeze.

Cozy suddenly struggles to wiggle herself free from Cheese's grasp as she complains, “Let go of me! I don't need your pity! I don't need your help! I don't need ANYPONY!!!”

“Yes, you do!” Cheese counters wisely and perceptively. “You need this right now, and you need a friend. Now more than ever.”

“Are you calling me a liar?” Cozy accuses. “Let go of me! You are embarrassing us both!”

Instead, Cozy grows more shocked when everyone else starts hugging her too as if they realize Cheese has a good point. Even Fluffy joins in.

“Stop it! Stop it all of you! I command you!” Cozy demands as tears rush more and more forcefully to her eyes. “I am the future princess of all of Equestria! You have to obey me! I demand it!”

“Shhh,” Sunset hushes. “Shush, Cozy. Just accept this . . . and let all of your pain out.”

“NO!” Cozy screeches much more desperately as tears rush to her eyes uncontrollably. “NO! YOU ARE ALL WRONG! I DON'T NEED THIS! I DON'T NEED ANYPONY! I SURVIVED ON MY OWN! STRUGGLED AND BUILT AN EMPIRE ON MY OWN! I AM YOUR EMPRESS! I AM YOUR QUEEN! I DEMAND YOU ALL TO . . . to . . .

“. . .

“Oh Celestia!”

Cozy finally gives in, and when she does, she cries out really hard! She practically screams as she wails into the hugs all around her. So many years of extreme pent up frustration, fear and terribly raw rage just pour out of her.

Cheese finally understands her friend. This was what Cozy was hiding earlier. No wonder she seemed so much worse this past day than Cheese had ever seen in her friend before. It was because Cozy was directly confronted with the symbol that caused her downfall in the first place. To face this again not only confronted her with many awful memories, but fear and bitterness that the pattern would repeat. The setting that Sire's Hollow grew into was all too familiar to Cozy. While Cheese saw a fascinating new culture and many potential friends, Cozy saw something significantly darker, and for good reason.

For the next ten minutes, Cozy continues to cry really hard. That kind of activity Cheese knows is cleansing, but also really draining.

Sure enough, after ten minutes, Cozy cries herself to sleep.

Following that, Luster Dawn makes an important announcement.

“Father . . . everyone . . . I've made an important decision.”

Luster pauses for a moment to make sure she has gathered everyone's attention. When it seems like she has, sans Cozy Glow, she resumes speaking.

Fluffy Muffin regards Luster with especially intense nervous and rapt attention who returns that attention.

“I think I understand you too, now. After seeing Cozy's pain and what she must have gone through beyond the lands of Equestria, I understand how you must have felt justified in your actions.

“But the lands beyond Equestria is not all black. There surely were non-pony races that helped Cozy too. My mother told me of some of Cozy's tragic backstory.

“And I know this for sure . . . the reason Klugetown was so awful is due to the influences of the Storm King. He was the one that put corrupt leaders in charge, and they are the ones that influenced their entire society to be far less than they could have been.

“I used to be a shut-in as well that thought I could only experience fulfillment in books, but friendship opened my eyes, just as it once did to my mentor. Much wisdom has she taught me, but none more powerful than the bonds I've shared with my friends, and many of them are non-pony races. They have been kind, loyal, honest, generous, fun, and positively magical friends in my life. They have shown me the best of non-pony potential. They have shown me what the citizens of Klugetown could have been.

“And, by all the power that is invested in me, what they will be.”

Luster points at Fluffy boldly as she declares, “By your own admission and the evidence I have gathered in this encounter, I find you guilty of first-degree murder, Fluffy, and I sentence you to help me redeem this town. In doing so, you shall earn your own redemption.”

“Huh?” Fluffy asks as she tilts her head in confusion.

“You have a point,” Luster says as she lowers her hoof. “That alone does not justify what you have done, but it does make it understandable, and yes . . . if the problem is ignored, it very likely will get much worse. At the very least, I can take your actions and interpret them as a warning. Even if you didn't kill the Duchess, somepony else probably would have in your place eventually.

“So I need to attack this problem at its core, or better to say . . . I need to heal this problem where it is wounded the most.

“Cozy is right that the lands beyond Equestria must be awful if it promotes behavior as we've seen, and it likely will escalate if we don't nip this one in the bud. As such, I decree that I shall use the power invested in me to build another Friendship School!” Luster boldly declares.

Everyone, except for Cozy, gasps in astonishment.

“If we are going to have a better future, it is through friendship,” Luster explains. “We have to guide the others into realizing there is a better path and a better way to live. Equestria truly has been a paradise the likes of which most of us don't realize. Few do realize they are living in a Golden Age until it is gone. History has taught us that time and time again.

“But it got this way for a reason. I think it's time to spread that reason to others. These creatures are coming here because they have hope in their souls. They want a better life, and that requires them to be better beings. They may want that, but they don't know how to do it. All of their previous experience taught them otherwise. Like Cozy here, they were trained to raise their guard, else some other creature would try to come and exploit them.

“But there is a better way. Friendship shall be that way. It shall be the medicine that nourishes and heals their souls. If we teach and guide them on how to not only accept but also maintain paradise, then the rainbow light shall shine ever brighter.”

Luster cuts a hoof across the air as she says, “Once the school is built, I shall not make it mandatory for the immigrants to attend because, for true friendship to flourish, it must be willing.

“However, I will apply numerous incentive programs to encourage them to participate, including waiving their tuition, at least for a time. Once more of them goes through this curriculum, their success and happiness will serve as an example to others. In time, the motivation will feed itself.

“Then, eventually, instead of us being surrounded by enemies, we shall be surrounded by friends who willingly commit all that they have for mutual gain. When the number of our allies grows too great, that alone would heavily discourage future antagonists against us, or at least reduce the scope of its severity.”

“But, for this plan to work, you'd have to move away from Ponyville,” Sunburst brought up. “Are you sure you're ready for this?”

“That's the most painful part of my plan,” Luster admits. “Though I can make new friends here.

“Also, after the school is built, I'll want to fill it with the most experienced staff that I can, and I'd like you to be among them, Father. I offer you the position of Headstallion of the new Friendship School.”

Sunburst is stunned silent for a few seconds, then he replies, “Why . . . I'd be honored . . . but I'll need time to discuss this with my wife and many friends back in Ponyville. If I accept, other arrangements need to be made.”

“I know,” Luster accepts. “It will take a while for the school to finish its construction.” She looks at Fluffy. “I'm giving you a choice too, but this option will ease your sentence significantly in the long gallop. If you repay this community with this service to make amends for what you've taken from it, then eventually you might be cleared of all charges.”

“Except the one in my heart,” Fluffy laments.

“Perhaps even then,” Luster counters. “By becoming a force that heals others instead of causing problems, you may find it to heal yourself as well. Please give it a try. I also want to restore your hope that we can guide others to become a positive force. As you see each successful example roll by, I think it will restore your hope and faith that an antagonistic relationship is not our only option with non-pony races. After all, if pegasi, earth ponies, and unicorns could once look past their differences and unite in harmony, why should we be convinced the possibilities stop there? Keep going . . . and we'll see how far this Friendship Train chugs. Personally, I think there is no end to this line.”

PreviousChapters Next