• Published 29th Dec 2020
  • 322 Views, 12 Comments

Tales of the Sapphire Carousel: The Chef's Guardian - Undome Tinwe



A fanfic of the fanfic Crimson Lips. Shimmer Glass learns to trust again when she befriends the bodyguard of the Sapphire Carousel, Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
3
 12
 322

Chapter 8

"And then Fancy tells me that he met Upper Crust at Lady Wish's soirée last week. And she told him — quite seriously, I might add — that Celestia's former student had run off to join a travelling circus!"

Rarity huffed as she took another gulp from her glass of wine. "A travelling circus! Can you believe it?"

Shimmer held back the urge to laugh. "Well, you do perform in front of a crowd most nights."

"Oh, please, don't compare my performance to that of those charlatans." Another gulp as Rarity waved her hand dismissively. "I cannot believe that the rumour mill has downgraded me so swiftly. A month ago, I had perished from a rare and exotic affliction that no one could quite remember the name of. And then there was the time I was actually a princess-in-training and had to return to my kingdom with my dashing bodyguard because the king had fallen ill and I had to prepare to take the throne."

"I don't think there's a kingdom nearby with a dying king," Shimmer said dryly. "And you don't look like you're from some distant land."

"Looks can be deceiving," Rarity replied. "Really, if my dear former teacher is too ashamed to admit the truth, could she not at least dangle some delectable hints that imply I met some appropriately tragic end or went off on some grand adventure? Perhaps I found a mysterious princess trapped within the Everfree Forest and had to travel the world seeking out a way to free her so that she could whisk me away to her castle and shower me with the finest silks this world has to offer. Wouldn't that be an ending our Fairytale Lady could be proud to boast about?"

Despite her dramatic words, Shimmer sensed real pain in her voice. "Well, I think she should be proud of who you are now," she said, hoping that her sincerity shone through in her words. "We are all so very lucky to have you, and those high society folk won't ever know what they're missing."

That got a bitter chuckle from Rarity. "Plenty of them know exactly what I have to offer. Though, they'd never say it in polite company, as the wild rumours surrounding my ultimate fate prove."

"Fancy and Fleur do look great in the clothes you make for them," Shimmer said. "And really, who matters more to you? The people who cast us out and pretend we don't exist when they don't need us, or your friends who actually care about you and see you for who you really are?"

Rarity set down the bottle. "Thank you, dear," she said, then hiccoughed. "I don't know what came over me just now."

"It happens to all of us." This time, it was Shimmer's turn to laugh without humour. "I think all of us have things in our past that hurt to remember. As long as you know that we're here for you, in good times and bad."

"I'll toast to that." A devilish grin formed on Rarity's lips. "And speaking of good times..." she waved at someone behind Shimmer. "Good evening, Rainbow Dash."

Shimmer turned to see the bodyguard standing by the doorway. "Hey girls," she said, "just wanted to let you know that my shift's starting now, so if you need me for anything, just call out, okay?" She smirked as her eyes met Shimmer's. "Well, not anything. If you want a taste of this awesomeness you'll have to wait until after I clock out." The words were punctuated with a wink, and Shimmer felt her own answering smirk on her lips.

"I don't know if I can wait that long," she shot back, uncaring as to who overheard. The girls were all familiar with their routine by now. "What if I need you right now?"

Rainbow laughed. "Well, I guess I could make an exception for you, babe. Anyways, see you around, girls!" With that, she turned away and strode off down the hall, no doubt to do her usual patrol route and make sure all the clients were behaving.

"So, how was your trip to the fair yesterday?" Rarity's voice drew Shimmer's attention back to the woman sitting in front of her.

"Oh, it was wonderful," Shimmer gushed. "We played games, at cotton candy, and then Dash took Shard up on the Ferris Wheel. Shard loved it, of course. I haven't had that much fun in way too long. I'm so glad Dash suggested it."

"I see." There was a glimmer in Rarity's eye, one that hid some emotion Shimmer couldn't put her finger on. "And that's all that happened? The three of you had a grand old time partaking in the festivities?"

"Umm, yeah?" Shimmer tilted her head in confusion. "Why, was something else supposed to happen?"

"I suppose not," Rarity replied. Then, so softly that Shimmer was sure the words weren't directed at her, she muttered, "As much as I might have hoped otherwise."

"Excuse me?"

"It's nothing, dear," Rarity said, her eyes focusing on Shimmer once again. A calculating look settled on her face. "You know, I'm glad you decided to join us this time. I understand that Shard needed you last month, but it's really not the same without you."

Shimmer shook her head. "I appreciate the kind words, but I'm sure you girls can have fun without me."

"Perhaps, but Rainbow Dash is no fun without you anymore." The way those words were said, with such a predatory air, made it clear that Rarity was waiting for Shimmer to take the bait, to ask the obvious follow-up question. To what end, Shimmer didn't know, but she could hardly refuse now.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, you didn't know?" Rarity asked, false surprise in her expression. "In the past month or so, our darling, if often crude, bodyguard has been nothing but professionally respectful to all of us. The only time she ever even attempts to make an overture towards someone is when you're present, and even then, it's generally directed at you."

"Really?" Shimmer's heart skipped a beat as she considered what that could mean. Surely it wasn't because...

"Truly," Rarity confirmed. "It's quite dull without you. I must say, it's quite odd what one takes for granted. I never imagined that I'd miss Rainbow Dash trying to proposition me. Then again, there are many things I never imagined I'd end up doing."

"Yeah." As the conversation continued, Shimmer only half-paid attention to whatever Rarity was talking about, the rest of her mind stewing on the information she had just been given quite deliberately by Rarity.

Part of her wanted to hope that Rainbow's refusal to flirt with anyone except her was a sign that her feelings were reciprocated, but that hope was tainted by the fear of being wrong. If Rainbow didn't want her...

And even if she did, then what? Shimmer was definitely down for a quick roll in the hay with her, but what if Dash wanted more? Did Shimmer want more as well? She'd been hurt before, and if she opened up her heart and Dash turned out to be like Shard's father...

Uncertainty plagued her mind, and she decided that the only thing to do was to talk to Dash, no matter how much the prospect terrified her.

The rest of the night passed by in a haze of terror, and Shimmer could hardly remember what she said or did. Eventually, though, the girls all retired to bed, and glancing at the clock, Shimmer saw that Dash's shift was just ending.

The alcohol had long since passed from her body, and with sober clarity, she hurried down the halls towards the changing room where the bodyguard would be.

She skidded to a halt at the entrance when she saw Rainbow Dash standing next to a locker, her uniform off as she was in the middle of changing. At that moment, Shimmer realized that despite where they worked, and despite the fact that Dash saw her in various states of undress on a regular basis, Shimmer had never seen Rainbow without her shirt on.

Her tongue caught in her throat as she struggled to speak, her mind struggling to process the sight of a very attractive Rainbow Dash standing in front of her in her undergarments. It was ridiculous. The bodyguard's clothes could at best be described as "comfortable," but, after all the time she'd spent this night thinking about her, this was apparently enough to stun her into silence.

"Hey, Shimmer," Dash said, seemingly completely oblivious as to the effect she was having. "What's up?"

Shimmer forced herself to look Dash in the eyes instead of elsewhere and cleared her throat. "I... uhh..." It was at this point that she realized she hadn't actually figured out what to say yet. Would it be too forward to confront her directly? Maybe not, but Shimmer's earlier courage had faded when faced with the actual reality of speaking with Rainbow Dash.

Who still hadn't put on a shirt, so that wasn't helping either.

"Is there a problem?" The cool swagger she normally wore like a second skin immediately faded into concern. "Did someone try anything funny?"

Ironically, the threat in her voice calmed Shimmer. This was Rainbow Dash, who would do anything to protect her, and nothing that happened tonight would change that. She looked her in the eyes, and even as her voice trembled, she took the plunge. "Rarity told me you haven't hit on anyone else lately!" The words were rushed, tumbling out of her mouth before she could take them back.

Silence filled the room as Rainbow Dash's eyes widened. "S-She told you that, huh?" she finally stammered, all of her usual cockiness gone. "I forgot that Rarity notices a lot of stuff."

"She does," Shimmer agreed. Then, she asked, "Why? Why just me? Is it because I'm the only one who flirts back?" That would make sense — maybe Dash was bored of rejection and thought it was more fun when Shimmer played along. Maybe that was all there was to it.

"That's not it!" Or maybe not. With that level of vehemence, Dash had to be telling the truth. "It's just..." She raked her hand through her unkempt hair in agitation. "Ugh, it's dumb."

"Rainbow." Shimmer said softly. Something was eating at her friend, and whatever it was, she had to help. "It's me, Shimmer. You've seen me at my lowest too. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's giving you trouble, it's not dumb." Swallowing the last of her fear, she asked the question that she had been on the tip of her tongue all night. "Did you... mean it? When you said you wanted to sleep with me?"

"What? No!" At Rainbow's shocked words, Shimmer's heart fell. Noticing her reaction, Rainbow immediately backpedalled. "I mean, yes! But, like, I..." She groaned again. "So much for being smooth and suave."

Rainbow sighed and started again. "Look, I like you, okay? Like, really like you." She blushed and looked away. "Sorry, I know I shouldn't have said it. I'll talk to the boss about making sure that I'm not taking a shift whenever you have clients."

"That's ridiculous," Shimmer immediately replied. "There's still no one I would trust more to keep me safe than you."

She reached out to cup Rainbow's chin, thrilling at the contact she forced the bodyguard to turn and face her. Their eyes met, and Shimmer knew she was lost as she stared into those eyes so filled with uncertainty and yet a resolve that made her feel so many things at once. "I know you'll never be like the guards in my old places." Heart pounding in her chest, she continued. "And... I like you too."

"You do?" The sheer surprise on Rainbow's expression would have made Shimmer laugh if she wasn't so nervous. "Why?"

At that, Shimmer did laugh. "I was going to ask you the same thing! This place has the most beautiful and interesting people I've ever met! Why would you settle for me?"

"Okay, first of all, anyone who says they're settling for you is an idiot." A smile lit up her already beautiful face. "And second, all of the other girls are great, but you're the only one I feel like I can really be myself around, and I have the most fun with you." She shrugged. "I'm not great at being sappy, but you're, like, really nice, and sweet, and funny, and hot, and I'm just really happy when I'm around you. Also, Shard's a great kid, so you definitely had to be awesome to raise an awesome kid like that."

Shimmer blushed at the praise. "And you wonder why I like you. No one has ever made me feel as safe and loved as you have. I finally feel like I'm living my life thanks to you, and you make me feel like I could do anything I wanted." She brushed a finger against Dash's cheek. "You made so many of my dreams come true, and if you'll let me, I'd like to make another one happen right now."

"A-Are you asking what I think you're asking?" The burning desire in Dash's eyes was reflected in Shimmer's heart, threatening to set both of them aflame.

"Can I kiss you, Rainbow Dash?" Shimmer waited for Dash to nod enthusiastically before leaning in and capturing her lips with her own.

Rainbow Dash was clearly inexperienced, but Shimmer didn't mind. Years of experience and expertise were brought to bear as she did her best to blow Rainbow's mind, and given the raw enthusiasm of the response she was getting, she figured she was doing a good job of it.

It wasn't the most skillful kiss she'd ever experienced, but it was definitely the most pleasurable one, for the very simple reason that Rainbow Dash was the one she was kissing.

Eventually, they pulled apart, and Shimmer felt a thrill at the sight of Dash looking dazed and deliriously happy, a dopey smile on her face that was positively adorable. "Wow," she said, staring at Shimmer in wonder. "That was awesome."

"I told you I was good at what I did," Shimmer said, smirking.

"Never doubted you," Dash replied. "Just, I don't think I could've imagined that it'd be this good."

"If you think that was good, wait until we get to the bedroom." The words slipped out before Shimmer realized the implications, and she paled as soon as her brain caught up with her mouth. "Sorry!" she quickly said, placing a hand over her mouth. "Force of habit!"

"It's fine." Despite her words, Shimmer could see that Dash's cheeks were bright red, the fire in her eyes still burning bright with lust. "We don't have to do anything you don't want to."

"I know," Shimmer replied, "but, I want you, all of you, if you'll have me. As long as we both know what we want." She pulled back from Rainbow, already feeling empty but needing to think straight. "We can just go into one of the bedrooms and have some fun, and I'm fine with that. But, I want more." It was terrifying to say those words out loud. Terrifying and liberating at the same time. "I want us to be more than friends. I want to wake up with you in the morning, and go to bed with you at night, and be together whenever we can during the day."

"I..." Dash grinned. "Shimmer, you have no idea how much I want that. You make me wanna do all the sappy things that the characters do in those romance books Rarity loves." She paused. "Well, most of them. I hope you aren't expecting any poems or love songs. And, uhh, it'd probably be better if I didn't try to cook for you."

Shimmer laughed, the tension finally melting away as they laid out all their cards on the table. "I wouldn't dream of it. And don't worry, I don't expect you to ever go near a kitchen, unless you're going to try to steal some of the cookie dough before I finish baking it and to try to lick the spoon again."

"Well, I could always lick something else if you want," Dash said, waggling her eyebrows.

Shimmer pulled her close. "I'll hold you to that," she whispered sultrily before taking her hand and leading her out of the changing room and towards the bedrooms. She paused at the entrance. "We don't have to sleep together tonight," she said, realizing that she'd never given the same consideration to Dash that her new girlfriend — oh, thinking of her like that gave her a pleasant flutter in her chest — had given her. "I understand if you're not ready."

For a moment, she saw uncertainty in Dash's eyes, before it was washed away by excitement. "Shimmer, I've been waiting for this for months. I'm definitely ready." She smiled sheepishly. "Just, remember that I haven't done this before? I know I'll be awesome at it, since I'm awesome at everything, but it might take me a little bit to figure out how to rock your world."

"Of course," Shimmer said, smiling. "Now, why don't I show you how a professional does it first?"

With that, they left the room, hand in hand as Shimmer prepared to give the woman who had won over her heart the first of many unforgettable nights.


"Okay, so now I see why people pay so much for that."

Shimmer giggled. "Was it good for you too, dear?"

It was a familiar scene for her. Lying in bed, herself and her partner completely naked save for the blankets partially covering them, basking in the afterglow of a night of passion. The only thing that made this different was the identity of her partner.

And that had made all the difference.

Rainbow Dash stretched and reached out an arm around Shimmer. "That was amazing!" she gushed. "You were amazing! Is that what sex is always like?"

"Sometimes," Shimmer said. "It's different when it's with someone you lo—" she cut off, her cheeks burning for the first time that night as she realized what she had been about to say. It was too soon, wasn't it? They had just become a couple a few hours ago.

But...

But they had known each other for over a year, now, and had seen each other at their best and worst. Wasn't that what love was supposed to be about? Rarity said it was about accepting the other person for who they were, and wanting to be with them more than anything else in the world.

Maybe it wasn't too early, in that case. Maybe it was really, really late.

Rainbow Dash seemed to be thinking something similar. "I love you too, Shimmer." She paused and then laughed awkwardly. "Bet you've heard that one before too, huh?"

"A few times," Shimmer admitted. "This is the first time I didn't have to make up something to laugh it off, though." She leaned over to kiss Rainbow on the cheek, because she could. Because there was nothing stopping her from peppering kissing against Rainbow's body whenever they both wanted. "I love you," she said, this time without stopping herself. The words felt right, and she felt the warmth in her chest bloom once again as she said them.

There were a few more minutes of silence as they basked in the afterglow of their lovemaking, before Shimmer finally asked, "So, what happens now?"

Rainbow shrugged. "I dunno. I've never had a girlfriend before. I guess we should go on dates and stuff?"

Shimmer smiled. "I'd like that. And I guess I should cancel all my appointments tomorrow." She held back a wince as she tried to work through how to budget for her cooking lessons with the extra money from clients. It would be tight, but she wasn't going to give up her education for Rainbow, no matter how much she loved her.

"What? Why?" Rainbow glanced at her in surprise. "Why would you have to cancel?"

Shimmer stared back, equally surprised. "Rainbow Dash," she said slowly. "We're dating."

"Yup, and it's great," Rainbow replied. "And do you really think I'm the kind of girlfriend who would want you to quit one of your jobs just to have more time with me? Really?"

"I..." Shimmer shook her head, trying to process Rainbow's words. "You really don't care if I keep sleeping with other people for money?"

"Shimmer," Rainbow Dash said, raising an eyebrow. "I work here. I get that it's just a job, and if you wanna keep working it, then I'll keep making sure that you're safe. Honestly, what kinda jerk would dump a girl just because of her job?"

Shimmer's smile returned. "And here we all laughed at Rarity for dreaming of a boyfriend who would let her keep taking on clients after they got married."

"Hey, I told you all you were missing out." Rainbow pulled her closer into her embrace, pressing their bodies together. "None of you ever believed me. Well, who's laughing now, huh?"

Her words reminded Shimmer of her earlier conversation at the beginning of the night. "By the way," she said. "Rarity told me that she misses your flirting. You don't have to stop on my account, you know." A wicked grin played on her lips. "Just, if you ever succeed, let me know so I can watch."

Dash's eyes widened at that, and she burst out laughing. "I love you, Shimmer," she finally said when she could speak again. "And I'll make sure you're there when I tell Rarity that I'm still on the menu if she wants to taste the Rainbow. Her expression is gonna be priceless!"

Author's Note:

Mono: Shimmer Glass and Rainbow Dash are single in Crimson Lips.
Me: You mean dating in secret?
Mono: Uhm, I--
Me: DATING. IN. SECRET.
Mono: But--
Me: IN. SECRET. DATING. SECRETLY DATING. DATING IN SECRET.

Well, technically, off-screen, but I wanted to make the joke.

Also next chapter is going to time skip to Crimson because what's even the point of writing this if I can't have Rainbow giving colour commentary on the events of the fic?