• Published 14th Dec 2020
  • 3,905 Views, 166 Comments

Of Dragons and Maternity - SymphonicSync



When Twilight visits Ponyville to prepare for the summer sun celebration, her assistant Spike develops a crush.

  • ...
4
 166
 3,905

(6) The Morning Market

"Would the young sir like to buy some flowers?"

Twilight glared at the mare and almost shouted "No, why would he want to buy flowers?"

Spike patted her on the withers and said "Twilight, it's fine, let's just go."

With a snort, she resumed their trot. It seemed like every street she turned down somepony wanted to heckle her or Spike about something. First it was that pink mare that ran off the first time they met offering them coupons to the candy store. An awkward acceptance had warded her off.

Then it was the photographer, and the jeweler, and now the flowers, what would he even do with flowers?

"Don't you eat them?" Spike inquired.

"Oh, ah," Twilight realized that she'd been voicing her thoughts, "Yeah, ponies do. Why would she ask you?"

"I don't know," he answered, "Maybe I'd like them though."

Twilight didn't need to turn around to feel the made looking at her. "I'll pick some up another time. Aren't you full?"

"Kinda. I could go for some gems."

She thought she'd seen him finish an entire plate at lunch just a few minutes ago. "Oh, uh, I can go ask the jewelry pony?" She proposed, stopping mid-gait.

She could feel him shake his head on her back. "They'd be overpriced."

"Alright." She affirmed, resuming their walk. Her thoughts drifted again; had Spike started to eat more lately?

He was about the age for a molt. Or was that a few years from now? Or several months past?

She'd forgotten.

"It's just plain rude," she mused, catching herself off-guard, "we're just walking here and they keep coming up."

"I kind if like it," Spike answered, "these ponies seem friendly."

They kept pace down the surprisingly busy street. It seemed to Twilight like this was a sort of holiday, ponies hustling around. Rounding a corner, she saw more vendor's stalls set up before her. At the end of the block, hanging before the town hall, was a banner spread over the road that read '1108th Annual Morning Market'.

Dear Celestia, it was a tourist trap.

She remembered AJ mentioning that she cleared out an acre or so of farm equipment to host a campground for visitors. Royalty appearing in such a small town for such a large event was bound to attract some creatures.

She could pick them out now, the locals from those out of town. Many of the ponies had perturbed looks on their faces, a visage Twilight likely shared despite only being in town for a day.

They weren't even entirely moved in yet.

Many of the tables had banners or signs in front of them, displaying the name and address of the business or pony that worked them. Those without seemed to have more of the annoyed ponies present. No doubt locales talking to their friends.

In contrast, Twilight could make out a number of unicorns who seemed rather out of place. They flocked to the larger, more decorated booths in the street. No doubt posh unicorns just off the chariot from Canterlot.

Her cheeks reddened as she thought of her arrival the day prior.

At least she wasn't as dressed up as they were, and Spike lacked the snobbery some of their children displayed as they followed their parents. It seemed like, for the first time since she arrived, Twilight was going somewhat unnoticed in the town.

One affluent gentlecoat stepped away from a vendor's table, a new hankerchief tucked into his vest pocket, and the mare behind him was revealed to Twilight.

Purple eyes met blue as Twilight felt the sudden sensation of being noticed.

Their gaze broke as Rarity turned to speak to some customer. It had only lasted a moment, but something felt different than the last time they'd met.

Why should it, though? She didn't hear the conversation in the library.

Twilight had seen a tension on her face. She just couldn't put her hoof on a reason why.

"Hey Spike!" A high pitched voice split the air as Twilight turned to notice Rarity's... smaller self standing beside them.

She'd never quite caught their relation yesterday.

"Oh," Spike mumbled, "hi?" An empty claw brushed over his wrist as the drake shied away.

"Hello, Sweetie Belle." Twilight started as she lowered her stance, both so that Spike could hop off and she would be speaking even with Sweetie's height. She'd read about that trick to talking to kids in a book. "How are you today?"

"Rarity said I could go look around!" The filly exclaimed with a small hop.

"That sounds, fun." Spike said hesitantly.

Sweetie looked at him and asked, "Want to come with me?" She glanced at Twilight and followed it with "If that's okay by you, I mean."

The mare gave a smile and said "Of course it's fine by me. Spike?"

"Oh- K!" Spike's answer, if it was one, was cut off by the filling wrapping a hoof around his arm and sprinting off into the crowd with him in tow.

Spike looked at her once before she lost him amongst the larger ponies. His eyes were full of surprise, a dash of concern, but also some measure of joy.

Her face stayed mirthful as she faced city hall.

A smile was shared by Rarity, just for a moment between customers, as she saw her sister abducting the young drake.

It had disappeared by the time Twilight might have seen it as she answered another customer's inquiry.