• ...
10
 93
 4,075

15. An Enemy Rises

It was a normal day for Sunset. Wake up, take the Dazzlings to school for the day, go to work, then come and pick up the Dazzlings. That is what she normally did, but today was different. A small difference but still an... interesting difference. Every day when Sunset came to pick up the Dazzlings, they would all run up to her and give her a hug. But today only two of three Dazzlings came running up to her. Adagio and Aria ran up to her mother and gave her a hug. Sonata on the other hand just walked up, gave a little wave and smile, and got into the car. Another thing about Sonata was that she had her hair down and not in the ponytail her mom had put it in in the morning. Sunset was without a doubt confused, Sonata was normally the most hyper between the three of them, and she loved her hair in a ponytail. She was perfectly fine in the morning before they went to school. Did something happen at school? Sunset was determined to find out what happened.

Sunset and the Dazzlings walk into Celestia's house. Sonata instead of going with her sisters to do her homework went upstairs to her room. Sunset was now even more confused, was Sonata sick or something? Instead of going to Sonata right away, she decided that maybe Aria or Adagio would know something. Sunset walks over to the table where Aria and Adagio were working on their homework. They look up when they see their mother walk into the room.

"Hi, mom. What's going on?" Adagio asked as she looked up to face Sunset.

"Do either of you know what's up with Sonata? She's been acting a bit off right now. Did something happen at school? Did she say anything to either one of you?" Sunset asked the two girls.

Aria and Adagio look at each other. They knew something that Sunset didn't. Something did happen at school, and Sonata wasn't telling her mom. Adagio and Aria nod their head, and they both look back at their mother.

"It was after lunch and we had just got back into the class." Aria said as she started thinking back to what had happened earlier that day.

Flashback...

Lunch had just ended for the Dazzlings. Adagio and Aria walk into their class and sit down. A little while later Sonata walks in, but instead of her normal ponytail, she had her hair down covering her face. Adagio and Aria were both confused by this, Sonata loved her hair in a ponytail. Sonata hated her hair down, so for her to have her hair down was a surprise to them. Sonata takes a seat and looks at the front of the room, not even looking at her sister right next to her. Aria decides to speak up and have a sisterly talk with her sister.

"Nata, is everything ok? Why is your hair down, don't you hate your hair down?" Aria asked worried for Sonata.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine, just tired from playing. As for my hair... I'm just trying new things. A boy said that I would look better if I had my hair down. I've been getting compliments from a bunch of people saying how good I look. This might actually start to become a new thing now." Sonata said as she continued to look at the front of the room.

"O-oh ok." Aria said still confused.

"Sonata just because a boy said you'll look better with your hair doesn't mean you should keep it like that. Momma makes your hair like that because you like it. What'll happen if momma sees you without your ponytail, she might think you don't like the way she makes your hair. And that might make her really sad." Adagio said trying to get Sonata to change her hair back.

"Fine, but I'll like to keep my hair like this for a while. She'll be ok with that I think." Sonata said still not looking at her sisters.

"She'll understand Sonata. Just be sure to tell her that you want your hair to be down." Adagio said with a small smile.

Sonata doesn't say anything, she continues to look at the front of the classroom. Adagio and Aria look back at each other again, what was wrong with their sister?

End of Flashback...

"And that's what happened." Aria said finishing the story as she looked down at the ground, she was worried for her sister.

Sunset looks at Aria and back at Adagio. Adagio nods her head... now something was off. Sonata was hiding something from everyone and Sunset was going to get to the bottom of it.

"Come on let's go to Sonata's room. We're going to find out what's wrong with her." Sunset said as she started making her way to Sonata's room.

"Ok, mom." Aria and Adagio said getting up from their seats and following their mother to Sonata's room.

Sunset, Aria, and Adagio all start to walk upstairs. Sunset felt as though, she had failed Sonata as a mother. Sonata knew she could tell her mother anything, so why hadn't she said anything? Sunset gets to Sonata's door, the door was closed. Something Sonata also didn't do, if she was trying to hide anything she wasn't good at it. Sunset opens the door, she hears a small gasp and a few things being moved. When Sunset opens the door she sees Sonata on her bed, looking away from Sunset.

"Sonata is everything ok?" Sunset asked as she walked into the room with Aria and Adagio behind.

"Y-yeah I'm fine," Sonata said turning around to look at her mother, she still had her hair down covering a side of her face.

"Your sisters said you've been acting different since lunch. And you didn't run up to me and hug me like you normally always do. Another thing is that your hair is down. I'm not going to keep asking you questions if you don't feel like it, but can I at least see all of my daughter's beautiful face, please?" Sunset asked looking at Sonata waiting to see what she would do.

Sunset sees Sonata flinch when she hears that. Sonata takes a deep breath and turns around, she messes with her hair for a while. A while later it's back to its normal ponytail, Sonata turns back around looking right at her mother. Sunset, Aria, and Adagio gasp. Sonata was crying but that wasn't the only thing, she had a black eye!! Something DID happen at school and she had tried to keep it a secret.

"Sonata, what happened to your eye? Why do you have a black eye? Who did this to you?" Sunset said clearly pissed off.

"T-this girl... she just came out of nowhere... she started to make fun of me... and then she punched me." Sonata said as she started crying again.

"Why didn't you say anything to anyone? A teacher, your sister, me! Why, you know you call to tell me anything." Sunset said nearly in tears herself.

"I-I'm sorry..." Sonata said not even able to look at her mother.

Sunset walks up to Sonata and gives her a hug. Aria and Adagio walk up and give Sonata a hug as well.

"I'm a little mad that you didn't tell anyone about this before, but as long as your ok then I'm ok. I'll talk to the school tomorrow about this whole ordeal, you guys don't have to worry. Now, how about we get some ice cream to make you feel better." Sunset said as she rubbed Sonata's back.

"Thanks momma." Sonata said as she hugged her mom tighter.

Sunset walks out of the room. Sonata and Aria look at Sunset and walk out. They start to follow her until Adagio walks up to the door and closes it, closing them into the room. Adagio's hair was over her eyes, she looked kind of scary to Aria and Sonata.

"What's wrong Adagio?" Aria asked wondering why Adagio was now acting weird.

"Yeah, I want that ice cream." Sonata said sadly that she had to wait to get the ice cream.

"Girls, tomorrow isn't going to be a normal day at school. Tomorrow we're going to find out who did that to Sonata. And we're going to make them pay." Adagio said looking up at her sister.

When Adagio looks up at her sister she had the most serious look on her face. For a spilt second, it looked like her eyes glowed like some anime characters. Aria and Sonata step back in fear, they nod their head in fear. Adagio opens the door and starts to walk out of the room, Sonata and Aria follow closely behind.

Adagio had a plan for tomorrow, that girl that did that to Sonata. She was going to have more than just a blackeye once the Dazzlings were done with her. That was a promise Adagio made to herself. But she had no idea what danger she was putting herself and her sisters in.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Part one of the half way mark of A Dazzling New Life. Yes, this is the half way mark for this story. But don't worry there is still much to be made for this story.