• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 884 Views, 16 Comments

Project Gateway - DeloreandudeTommy



In 2047 a new technological breakthrough sends a scientist to the world of Equestria.

  • ...
2
 16
 884

Entry to Equestria

You wake up in a field, but you can’t see anything yet.
The bright light seems to have temporarily blinded you.
You then realize that you can’t move, but can breathe just fine.
As your eyes begin to recover and the phosphenes in your eyes obstructing your view begin to fade away from the stimulatory overload you just experienced, you see you’re sitting in the middle of a vast field of bright green grass.
You see gray, snow capped mountains off in the distance.
But you realize that this is no ordinary world, this is the world of a cartoon.
The entire world, while realistic, is as surrealistic as it is realistic.
“Hey, anybody home? Do you read?”
You look down at your Armboy, you then make a startling observation,
you’re a horse.
You attempt to press the button to talk with your ha…hoof, but resort to the neural telekinesis module to do the work for you.
“Yes, I read. And I’m a horse.” You say over the radio.
“You’re a what?”
“I’m a cartoon character in a cartoon reality, Mike. The universe I’m in is a cartoon world and now I’m somehow a horse.”
“Are you okay?”
“Apart from being a horse, yeah. I’m just peachy perfect. Now to figure out how to walk.”
You try picking yourself up with your ar…forelegs but can’t.
“Uh, Atlanta. I have a problem.”
“What?”
“I can’t get up with my suit on.”
You remember now why you are supposed to ditch the suit as soon as you arrive in a universe, the sucker weighs 150 pounds due to all the radiation proofing.
It takes you 5 minutes on earth to exit the suit (thanks in part to the helpful scientists being able to reach the buttons on the back easier) but here it’s going to be difficult, if not impossible since you can’t reach your back and you can't use telekinesis on things you can't see.
You decide to use your telekinesis module to lift yourself up. You raise yourself to your fee…hooves and let yourself go. You land on the ground but manage to hold yourself up.
“Atlanta, I guess I can hold myself up.”
“Can you stand up?”
You try to stand on your back legs but end up falling over again, flat on your back.
Fortunately you land on a pebble which pushes the exact right button to open up the suit, releasing you from it.
“Well, Atlanta, I’m out of the suit. Apparently coincidences happen in this universe a lot more than they do in ours.”
“Good, good. Can you get me any readings on the climate?”
“76.5 Fahrenheit with a relative humidity of 45%…Hold on, my compass doesn’t work on this planet. What the heck? How does this planet not have a magnetic field? It has to!”
“Use the ADF mode on the suit to find it again so you can find it later.”
You flip on the ADF mode switch, which turns on a radio beacon on the suit to help you find it again.
“Atlanta, I think I see a city in the distance. Permission to enter and observe the populace?”
“Permission granted”
You walk towards the city. It’s at least ten miles from your current position.

You walk down the dirt path, looking at the trees along the side of the road, the adorable little birds flying hither and yon, the snow-capped mountains off in the distance. However something strikes you as odd.
This place seems familiar.
It’s as if it’s from something you saw in your childhood, something your parents showed you from their childhood, something that you saw many years ago, perhaps even something you saw in a dream, but what.
You know that there’s no way you or anybody…any anything you have come in contact with up until now could’ve had any idea this place existed…right?
You remember reading the Thompson papers, a set of papers published in the late 1990’s which talked about the theory that anything that’s ever been thought of exists for real in another universe. That means every TV show, every book, every thought is factual and real in another universe.
“Could this be something from a book I read? From a movie I saw or a TV show I watched? Had I thought this up? How in the world do I know about this?”
Your train of thought is broken by something that causes even more confusion to rise from this situation.
Another pony is standing in the middle of the road in front of you.
This is no normal pony, this pony is green. Her (or is it his?) coat is the color of the ocean, a rather eye-friendly shade at that.
“Um…Hi…” you say to him or her.
He or she, continues staring at you blankly.
“Uh…Guten Tag? Wie geht es Ihenen?” you say in your sloppy German you learned in high school.
It continues to stare at you, but you notice something.
It has a growing smile on its face.
“Why are you looking at me like that?” you ask.
“You’re not from around here, are you?” she says.
“Oh good, you speak English.”
“English? This is Equestrian you silly filly!”
“Silly what?
“Oh sorry, I can tell that you really aren’t from around here!”
She walks up to you and looks at your hi…flank.
“What kind of cutie mark is that!?
You look at your…flank…and realize that you have something on it.
“That’s just the MilTEC lo…wait, why is it on my skin!? I’ve never had a tattoo before, how do I get it off!?”
“Your skin? Sir, I have no idea what kind of weird foalhood you had or where you came from, but you really have some catching up to do.”
She walks up to you and looks at your high-tech device that’s on your arm.
“What’s this? It says ‘MilTEC Scientific Armbo…Armb…Oh my Celestia I have to go.”
She runs off, shooting you a glance with her yellow eyes as she does so.
“Boy, people…ponies in this universe sure are weird. But at least they speak English.”