• Published 12th Feb 2021
  • 5,012 Views, 302 Comments

Sunset Heritage - luckyboys121



After undergoing mysterious transformations Sunset is forced to dig into a past she does not remember and confront the parents she's never met

  • ...
11
 302
 5,012

End of Eternity

As Nero, Trish, Lady, and Sunset geared up for the fight, though Sunset doing so reluctantly, Lilith gaped in fear as she said, "Mundus, but you... you can't be here, the treaty."

"The treaty forbids me from entering your realm, but this is not your realm is it?" asked Mundus with a wicked smirk.

Lilith gaped for a moment while Nero stepped forward saying, "No it isn't, but it sure as hell aint yours either, so why don't you go on home before we make you go home!"

"Take it down a notch kiddo, this isn't an opponent you can underestimate," said Trish as she readied her sword.

Mundus then turned his smirk to her as he said, "Ah my lovely creation, still heaping praise unto me even after rebelling against me, you know it's never to late to return to my side."

Trish glared at him as she said, "Like hell, just because I know not to underestimate you doesn't mean I'm afraid of you."

"WELL I AM, RETREAT!" called out one of Lilith's men before he pulled a rod like device out of his pocket and gestured it forward creating a portal that he quickly hopped through.

Mundus glanced at that as he turned to the crowd and said, "Go on, my feud is with the traitor's spawn, you others are welcome to leave if you value your lives."

This was the only cue the other guards needed to open their own portals as Lilith gulped and reached out a hand saying, "Sunset quickly, come with me."

"Why should I?" asked Sunset as she simply flexed slightly for the coming fight.

"He is ruler of the demon realm, the bringer of ends, one of the few beings in all realms able to rival the emperor's power, if you truly want to see your parents you need to leave with me now!" called out Lilith in a mix of frustration and fear as she reached out her hand towards her.

Sunset looked at the hand with a glare as she said, "And what, just let this guy destroy the world?"

Lilith slightly flinched at that before glaring back as she said, "So what if he does?! It's not really your world!"

"Maybe not by birth, but I've spent a lot of time here, made friends here," she then glanced back at the apartment with a slight smile as she said, "Found love here, and if I had to choice between meeting my parents and dieing to protect this world, then just make sure they pick out a good head stone for me back home."

Lilith looked at her for a moment before pulling out her own rod and opening a portal behind her as she turned away and simply said, "They'd be proud of what you're doing."

Sunset smirked at that as she glanced back at her saying, "Be sure to tell them about it then."

Lilith stood for a moment before sighing as she said, "Fight hard to tell her them yourself, and you all," she then turned back to the group as she said, "Do what you all do best, and be a thorn in the side of those much more powerful then you."

She then walked through the portal as Lady said, "Hum, I think that's the nicest thing she's ever said to us."

"Yeah, so let's not disappoint her," said Trish with a smirk before turning to Sunset as she said, "You ready for this little lady?"

Sunset pointed her gun as she said, "Ready as I'll ever be."

Trish blinked for a second as she said, "Is that gun all you have?"

"Well that and my arm yeah," said Sunset as she blinked in confusion at that.

Trish thought for a moment before smiling as she turned her sword handle first and gestured it to her saying, "Here, I think this will help."

Sunset looked at her in disbelief as she said, "Seriously, I can't just take your-"

"It's not really mine sweetie, it was your grandfather Sparda's, and your dad lent it to me... it's probably about time it goes back into the family," said Trish as she moved the sword towards Sunset.

Sunset blinked at that before reaching her hand out and taking it. She looked at it thinking, "Despite how big it is, it feels pretty light, and good to hold... almost as if it has a power of its own filling me up." She then blinked as she turned back to Trish saying, "Wait but what will you fight with?"

"Oh trust me honey," said Trish before moving into a punching stance as lighting wrapped around her arms and she continued saying, "I got my own way to fight."

Sunset smiled at that but was soon interrupted as the rumbled returned. She then looked forward as Mundus said, "What a touching moment, be thankful I needed more time to finish coming through, otherwise you would have never heard it."

The group watched as two clawed hand appeared to grip the edges of the portal before pulling the rest of him forward as it closed behind him. Now getting a full look at him, Sunset watched as what appeared to be a large distorted of statue of Zues, floated in the air periodically flapping his wings.

Nero chuckled as he said, "He doesn't look so tough," before pointing at a number of wholes and scars on Mundus's chest as he said, "He looks like he's about to crumble apart on his own."

Mundus flinched as he mentally traced one scar in particularly before glancing down at Nero.

"LOOK OUT!" called out Trish as she watched a bolt of red lighting shoot out from Mundus's eyes towards Nero.

Nero turned forward and just as it looked as though the Lightning was about the hit him, Sunset stood in front of him swiping her newfound sword and knocking the lightning to the side.

"Woah, thanks for the save... what's your name by the way?" asked Nero.

Sunset blinked for a moment as she realized she had never actually introduced herself to them as she said, "Sunset, Sunset Shimmer."

"Well Sunset, what do you say we send this guy packing?" said Nero as he revved his sword.

Sunset had a brief smirk as she said, "You read my mind."

"INSOLENT CHILDREN! STOP ACTING LIKE THIS IS A MERE GAME!" cried out Mundus as he flew down and prepared to strike at the ground with his claws. As he came down though, he was suddenly halted by an explosion at his finger tips as he turned to see Lady pointing her rocket launcher at him. "How... HOW DARE A MERE HUMAN STRIKE AT ME!" he cried out as his eyes began to flare with a red hot intensity. Before he could fire his lighting this time though he lurched as he fell to the ground as someone else's lighting struck him.

Trish smirked as she held her still sparking out saying, "Hmm, maybe I was overestimating you Mundus... but then again I suppose that makes sense after all."

As Trish talked Sunset and Nero glanced at each other as a silent plan began to form and they both began to run towards the now prone form. "What?!" asked a bewildered Mundus.

"You see, it's been a long time since you and Dante fought and since that time we've all had to face some hefty threats. Argosax, The Savoir, Abigail, The Beast Heads, and... god I feel like there was more but I can't for the life of me remember."

Lady shrugged as she said, "You could always mention Arkham or Gilver, sure they were before him but they still put up more of a fight then this guy," before letting out a chuckle

Mundus glared as he called out, "ENOUGH OF THIS!" as he sent a shockwave into the ground that knocked both Lady and Trish to the ground as Sunset flapped her wings to stay up while Nero formed a blue figure behind his back doing the same. As Mundus rised into the air he said, "How dare you make light of me! I am Mundus, the one true king of demons, and ruler of all worlds and I-" suddenly he stopped as he found his left arm being held still by a giant blue and red fist. Before he could react though he suddenly found his right arm in the same predicament as he looked down to see Sunset and Nero holding him in place with their Devil Bringer arms as they both readied their swords in their other hands.

Nero smirked as he said, "You know... I think Sunset had it right, you're just an asshole."

"A men to that," said Sunset as she flew forward brandishing the large sword behind her, as Nero did the same.

Mundus glared at them as he thought, "The fools, you think this shall be that easy, just because I can not move does not mean I can not kill you insects!" As Mundus's eyes began to glow red again, he was suddenly stopped by a surge of pain as he turned down to see another lighter blue glow wrapped around his throat. "What is this how.." he said before turning forward as he noticed off in the distance a small portal open and a white staff poking through it as he said, "Damn that witch, she-" but was interrupted as the two swords cut through his body, replacing any words with a cry of pain.


As Lilith stepped back through the portal and allowed it to close she breathed out a sigh of relief saying, "You may not like it child, but expect to get a little help from your aunt from time to time... after all... it's the least I can do." She then twitched as a memory started to worm its way to the surface of her mind before shaking it clear as she said, "Come, let's go back to the castle."

The guards all looked around awkwardly as one of them stepped forward saying, "Buy my lady, what about Steve?"

Lilith sighed at that as she said, "He has a portal rod just like the rest of us, I'm sure he'll be back eventually... unless one of you wants to try and mount a rescue."

They all collectively gulped at that as, none of them where particularly eager to face anyone currently in the human world right now, as they all began to make their way towards the castle.


Mundus laid down with a thud as blood dripped from the freshly opened chest wounds. He coughed elleciting more blood as he raised his head to glance at the pair before him saying, "This is not over, I am eternal and I shall return just as I always have."

"You do that," said Sunset as she raised the Jade level with his face.

"And we'll just keep knocking you back down," said Nero as he leveled his own gun.

As the two fired Nero's bullets left behind a slight blue trail where as Sunset's where mainly red, but with flakes of other colors throughout forming a slight rainbow. As the bullets struck Mundus a look of horror formed on his face that caused even Sunset and Nero to lurch back as Mundus let out a cry saying, "What... what is this!? This isn't just demonic energy it-" He cut himself off as he started screaming as his body began to crumble apart at the harmony magic racing throughout it.

Lady and Trish soon ran up to get a look as the once mighty king of demons now writhed in pain as his body cracked apart like the statue it appeared to appear before finally Mundus's cries went silent as he crumpled to dust, and seemed to dissapear from existence.

They all blinked for a moment before Lady spoke up saying, "What just happened?"

"I think... you two just killed him," said Trish as she approached the spot Mundus once occupied in disbelief.

"Well... I mean that was kind of the idea," said Sunset.

"No... I mean killed him killed him, like he'll never be back," said Trish.

Nero shrugged at that as he said, "So his immortality was all talk, not the first time we've seen that."

Trish shook her head as she said, "No, this is different," she then looked at Sunset saying, "I think this was because of you."

"What?" asked Sunset.

Trish simply closed her eyes for a moment before saying, "Your energy... isn't entirely demonic, which I guess makes sense when your moms a witch. It's because of that, that you where able to finish him."

Sunset blinked at that but quickly was snapped out of it as she felt an arm pat her on the back as she turned back to see Nero as he said, "Not bad for a first time Devil Hunter."

Before she could respond she felt another arm wrap around her as she turned to see Lady saying, "Gotta say, you're a hell of a lot better then your dad was at your age."

Trish sighed before joining into the group huddle as she gave Sunset a pat on the head saying, "Great job sweetheart."

Sunset took this moment in as she thought, "This warmth... it's like when Lilith touched me but somehow more... like whatever kindness or love was conveyed in that, is being conveyed even harder from them." Sunset smiled for a moment just taking this in, but soon blinked in realization as she said, "So... not to put a dampener on this but how exactly do you all know my parents?"

"Well we mainly know your dad," said Trish as they all broke out of the huddle.

"He used to be a Devil Hunter with us here on Earth... though I guess used to is a bit of an understatement since he's more then happy to come back for a bit if we need him," said Lady.

"He's a bit of a pain in the ass, but he's alright," said Nero with a shrug and a smirk.

Trish then tapped her chin as she said, "As for your mom, Eda is..."

"Way to good for Dante?" added Lady resulting in a slight chuckle from the assembled group.

Trish then continued saying, "Honestly she's a lot like him... just replace fighting demons with fighting Lilith's crew and pizza for Apple Blood and your good to go."

"Apple... Blood?" asked Sunset.

"Yeah, that might be better for her to explain since I don't fully get it either," said Trish with a shrug.

Sunset gulped at that as she said, "So does that... mean you can take me to them?"

"Oh... um, kind of," said Trish.

Sunset blinked in confusion as she looked around at the group. Nero sighed as he said, "Sorry Sunset but we don't actually know how to get to the Boiling Isles, whenever we visit them Dante or Eda open up some kind of weird glowing door in front of us, and boom we're there."

Sunset lurched at that as she said, "What about when you need there help, you can call them right?"

"I mean... yes, but the only way is with a special phone we have back home," said Lady as she awkwardly scratched her head.

"And it was a couple days road trip to get here, looks like we barely got here in time at that," said Trish as she once again glanced at where her former master fell.

Sunset body began to turn back to normal as tears began to form in the corner of her eyes as she said, "I'm sorry... it's nice to meet all of you, it's just... for a second I thought."

Before she could finish though she found herself wrapped up in a hug as Trish said, "Hey don't worry about it, we get it."

Soon Lady joined in as she said, "Believe me I know what it's like to miss a family member."

Sunset found herself slightly heaving as she said, "Is... is miss even the right word? How can I miss people I barely remember?"

As Nero watched at the display he slightly turned away as his mind turned to the three kids at home who only recently started calling him dad, and then to years ago at a white haired boy asking who is father was, and never getting an answer. He had a few tears of his form before gritting his teeth slightly as he said, "Trust me... miss, is the right word... I know it's not much help but we promise to call Dante as soon as we get back."

"Of course we will, in fact if you want you can come with us, see where your dad used to live when he was on Earth," said Trish as she stroked Sunset's hair slightly.

Sunset looked at her as she wiped the tears from eyes saying, "That would be good but..." before trailing off.

"You got your hopes up," said Lady with a sigh.

Nero looked back at her as she said, "Believe me, we'd get you to them if we could, but unless you have an Emperor's Coven member stashed away somewhere that just can't happen."

Sunset stopped heaving at that as she blinked for a second before letting out a nervous chuckle as she said, "Actually."


"YOU LEFT ONE OF THOSE GUYS IN THERE WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND!" said Trish as she ran alongside Sunset to the door.

"I figured it was fine, he was tied up and passed out," said Sunset as her worry mounted.

"Still, though that doesn't seem like the smartest move," said Lady as she cocked her weapon.

"I thought you said these guys where a bunch of jokes?" said Sunset to try and calm herself as they reached the door.

"To us maybe, but to a normal human," said Nero before pulling out his pistol and nodding towards Sunset as she did the same.

"Alright everybody, we got a hostile with a hostage most likely so be ready," said Trish as she looked at everyone.

They all nodded in response before the door was slammed open, as they all burst through ready for a fight. Instead though they where greeted to the sight of Steve laying on the couch sobbing while Fluttershy patted his shoulder.

He wailed as he said, "And no matter how hard I try or how much I do, Lilith and the others just see me as some of kind of joke."

"It's OK, just let it all out," said Fluttershy as she smiled down at him reassuringly.

"I deserve respect damn it! I'm not some kind of comic relief henchman, I'm a powerful witch just like them!" said Steve.

"Yes you are Steve, never forget that," said Fluttershy.

"Thanks, I really needed to hear that," said Steve as he wiped the tears from his eyes and noticed the bewildered group before him as he said, "Oh um... hi," and waved awkwardly.

Fluttershy looked up as she said, "Oh Sunset good news, I think he'll be willing to help us and..." she then took notice of the other people that came in with Sunset as she looked around saying, "Um, who are these guys."

The others all turned to Sunset as she stood another moment before letting out a chuckle as she said, "Looks like we were both making friends." She then gestured to the group as she said, "Fluttershy and... Steve, these are Lady, Trish, and Nero."

"Nice to meet you," said Nero with an awkward wave.

"Damn she's cute, glad to see you have better luck with the ladies then your old man," said Lady with a smirk that caused Fluttershy and Sunset to blush.

"Don't listen to her sweetie... even if what she's saying is the truth," said Trish with a shrug.

"Oh well... it's nice to meet you all," said Fluttershy as she awkwardly smiled at them.

"We actually met once before when Lilith had us attack the Owl House and she kicked me in the back of the head," said Steve as he pointed towards Lady.

"Did I... sorry you guys all look the same in those masks," said Lady with a shrug.

"So um... care to explain what happened out there exactly?" asked Fluttershy


Some time later

"And so yeah, that's pretty much it," said Nero.

"Oh my," said Fluttershy before grabbing Sunset as she said, "Are you OK?"

Sunset chuckled as she said, "From the fight yeah, not a scratch on me, emotionally though... well I suppose that depends if Steve is willing to help us."

They all turned towards the brown haired man, half of them preparing their weapons to threaten him, as he stood up saying, "Hell yeah I'll help you out."

"Really?" asked Sunset in shock and glee.

"And you won't be bringing her to Lilith or anything right?" asked Trish.

Steve groaned as he said, "No way I'm bringing her to Lilith, I'm done with that toxic system that makes ya feel like garbage."

Fluttershy smiled at that as she said, "I'm happy to hear it Steve, and remember, whose opinion of you means more then anyone else?"

Steve beamed with pride as he said, "Steve's does!" He then pulled out a rod as he said, "Which is why Steve is gonna defy the Emperor and take Sunset to see her parents and-" he then paused as he looked closer at the rod saying, "Oh no."

Sunset lurched at that as she said, "What's wrong?"

"Well, don't panic OK, but I sort of forgot to charge it before leaving the castle," said Steve as he shook it hoping the power level on it might go up, which it did not.

"So what... you can't open a portal?" asked Lady.

"No I can, it's just... I can only take two of you with me and after that it's dead... and I don't think they'll let me back into the castle to charge it after this so you'd have to figure your own way back," said Steve.

The group stood in silence for a moment before Trish spoke up saying, "Well... obviously Sunset's going, and I think we know who else is."

"You're darn right you do," said Fluttershy as she let out a huff.

Sunset turned to her as her face became flush with concern as she said, "Hold on, we don't know for sure what we'll have to deal with when we get there... it could be dangerous and if it turns out to be to much I can't just send you back here."

Fluttershy looked at her with an unwavering smile though as she said, "I've told you before that I want to stick by you through this no matter what, and so even if it is dangerous I want to come with you and I know for sure I won't want to turn back.

Sunset tried to think of something to say only to be interrupted as Fluttershy blushed slightly as she said, "Besides... I want to meet my girlfriends parents."

Sunset blinked at that before letting out a slight chuckle as she couldn't help but lean into the hug and give her a kiss.

Lady let out a chuckle of her and a slight clap as she said, "Bravo kid, you got a good one there."

Trish bumped Nero's shoulder as she said, "Looks like you're not the only one around here to get the girl in the end."

Nero simply smiled at that as the spectacle reminded him of when he and Kyrie first set off on their lives together.

"Um... I hate to interrupt Lady Fluttershy but the Portal Rod's power goes down at least a little even when not in use," said Steve.

This caused the two to break apart as Sunset let out a fake cough in embarrassment and said, "Oh of course..." she then turned back to the others as she said, "Well, I guess this is goodbye for now."

"Don't get too sappy kid, you'll see us again," said Lady as she nonchalantly put her hands behind her head.

Trish rolled her eyes slightly at that as she said, "It may not have been long, but it was good to meet you Sunset.... you know it's kind of funny, we've always been kind of like a family with your dad at the center of it all, so in a way I'd like to think you're our family to."

Sunset smiled at that as she said, "I feel the same way... Aunt Trish."

Trish smiled back as Lady let out a groan saying, "I told you not to get too sappy."

Sunset let out a chuckle as she said, "Sorry Aunt Lady."

She let out another groan as Nero stepped forward saying, "In the meantime we'll stick around in case there's any demons left around here to clean up," he then sat on the couch and put his feet up on the table saying, "Hope you don't mind if we crash at your place for a bit."

"You got it Cousin Nero," said Sunset with a thumbs up.

Nero blinked as he said, "Ahh what! I don't get to be Uncle Nero?"

Sunset chuckled at that saying, "What can I say, you already said no to being a brother and you're too young for the uncle role."

"My wife and kids would beg to differ," said Nero simply.

Sunset thought on that for a moment before shrugging and saying, "Either way it just feels like a better title you know."

Nero thought on that for a moment as he shrugged himself saying, "Yeah I guess that's fair."

The group simply sat in each others company for a moment before Sunset turned to Fluttershy with a sigh as he reached out for her hand saying, "Ready?"

Fluttershy smiled at her as she said, "Ready."

"Alright then Steve... fire it up," said Sunset as she turned to the man.

He nodded as he held up the rod and opened up a portal as the three soon went trough, dissapearing in a flash of light.

Author's Note:

Well then, Sunset and Fluttershy are going to the Isles and Mundus is dead. What will happen next? Find out around this time next week.

Firstly, sorry the Mundus fight wasn't much... I tried to do more with it but the more I did the more I kept thinking about how in the novels it's implied Dante's fight against Mundus wasn't too much of a challenge for him and how Nero, Trish, and Lady where leaps and bounds stronger then Dante was then so, plus any collateral damage wouldn't make sense given how this world works (more on that later) So yeah, it is what it is and I hope you enjoyed it regardless.

Ans while not my intent I am super excited that the first chapter that takes place in the Isles well occur after Owl House's season 2 premiere (super excited for that)

Thanks for reading, hope you liked it, any constructive criticism is welcome, have a great day