• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 1,146 Views, 15 Comments

Alabaster: Magical Findings - Hegamonia



An asteroid that was conveniently missed on sensors has collided with a colony ship

  • ...
 15
 1,146

Part 1: Background check on us

Name: USS Alabaster
Class: Alabaster-class Colony/warship
ETA to LV-426: MALFUNCTION, UNABLE TO CALCULATE
Due date: May 25, 2233
Current date: August 1, 2509
Hull integrity: WARNING; HULL BREACH DETECTED, ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP
Crew: [CORRUPTED]
Acting captain: WILLIAM A. NIKKEI
Passengers: [CORRUPTED]
Cargo Status: 3/4 boxes intact and inside
Current Cargo Roster[CLASSIFIED]: 4,000,000 kilograms Titanium, 50 M41A4 Pulse Rifles, 5000 clips ammunition, 50,000 kilograms Steel, 500 barrels dry fuel, 250 boxes of motherboards, 250,000 kilometers of wires, 50 25m fiber-optic cables, 55 full suits of armor, 4 Class-V Drop-ships, 5 Class-VII Armored Personnel Carriers, 1 class-II assault tank, 3 Class-VI Fast Attack transports, 2 Class-I Space/atmosphere combat fighters, 2 kilograms of Ostrich eggs[WARNING: DO NOT OPEN]

Hello there, chaps! My name's William A. Nikkei, acting captain of the remains of the USS Alabaster, me and about three-quarter dozen more, Kara N. Walker, our outback engineering expert, and local hothead; Drave'n Del Lavionne, Russian drunkard and firearms specialist; Legion, AI of the ship and expert on all things in it; Strosstrupen, a German scientist; Samsung V. Nikkei, my brother and scientist; Kayleb T. Reine, French secondary engineer; and three security guards stuck in cryo. Our ship was hit by a stray asteroid on its way to LV-426, a colony world on the fringes of UN space, over 6 thousand were aboard and all hands were either killed on impact or sucked out into the vacuum, aside from the lucky ones; us, we were in a different compartment of the ship that wasn't hit by the stray rock. The asteroid crushed the hull about halfway to the hold and sheared off portions of it the rest of the way up, all the necessary components; the bridge, life support, engines, reactor etc. were in the rear end of the ship, and the hold was in a vacuum already, so none of the cargo that was not hit by the debris was lost; about three-quarters of it was still inside. Half of the ship was open to the void and a small piece of debris was lodged inside of life support, frying that, the fuel tanks were damaged badly, but fortunately were not leaking, the reactor was shot and nobody was able to find their way to the cargo hold, food, well, real food was low and the dried up, preserved 'food' was in the front of the ship, damn Weyland Yutani and their inconveniently placed areas. The ten of us were changed when the ship entered some sort of spacial distortion, forcing us on four hooves, giving us equine bodies, wings and horns, I was the tallest of the bunch, and Kara was the shortest, considering her profession it would be helpful, the rest were all either just at my chin or above Kara's eye level. A few days after the incident, Kayleb was working on unsealing one of the doors and the hull breached next to her, blasting her out into space, but I was looking out a window when I saw her flying by, imagine my surprise at seeing her doing the impossible, and when I tried it, I actually felt the solar wind on my wings, and went outside for quite a while every 72 hours, admiring the beauty of the void without the blockage of windows. Every time I did I felt the winds grow stronger and stronger, until several years ago I was able to circle around a gas giant in twenty minutes from a geosynchronous orbit, and I only got faster, the antimatter engines were barely operating in acceptable efficiency, and Kayleb was hard pressed to make it more efficient on the amount of Antimatter we could produce daily, but now that we know we could cut power to the life support, which was one of the most power-hungry pieces of equipment on the ship, he is no longer under so much pressure.

I looked out the window at the vastness of space, my original figure going into lean muscle that practically melted the fat off my body, especially in my chest and barrel, where most of the flight muscles were located, Kara was never strong, but her technical skill was invaluable in repairing the ship, and when she was changed she was put out of action until Legion could help her relearn how to hold something. I was one of the best and brightest programming minds in the world, so good, in fact, that everyone either wanted me to get through some sort of security wall, reinforce one, or just plain wanted me dead due to my knowledge, even my PDA and Tablet expressed how good I am at my job, and only one other person could match me, and he was long since gone up there. Strosstrupen was a physics expert and actually calculated how likely it would be we would crash into a star, which was highly unlikely in our lifetimes, if we had lifetimes, Reine was an expert on anything energy and managed to fly into a red star and come out the other side completely unscathed, I can't say so much for myself, considering that I was badly singed when I left it, Samsung could talk your ear off but he made a lot of sense, his apparent special skill was that he could go on and on for hours at a time in one breath, Lavionne was a linguist and when he started speaking in languages nobody understood it made enough sense to make his be he could talk any known language, mine was speed, pure speed, in an atmosphere I could travel close to five times the speed of light in a year, in the void, it was far faster, clocked in at the same numbers, but in seconds instead, I joked that even Superman would be hard pressed to beat me. The tattoos on our flanks all corresponded to what we achieved, but mine was oddly absent, Kara had a screwdriver and a spanner forming a cross, Reine had a sun with a hair-thin line going out of it, Samsung had a picture of lungs, Strosstrupen had a very famous formula on his flank; E=MC squared, Lavionne had a mouth with sound-waves coming out. Last year, we came across a yellow star and I felt much, much more refreshed, so much, in fact, that I was almost shivering with energy, my horn was glowing a dark blue while my orange coat looked almost electrified, with sparks jumping across it every now and then, the area around me began flowing like water and caused the metal to crumple and break open, sucking me out and headed directly at it, unable to move and the others had no clue.

The frozen look on my face spoke of unimaginable amounts of sheer terror in my eyes, as my horn glowed even brighter and the energy discharges got more intense the closer I got, not even my heart was spared as it's beats went erratic, then go into super beat that sounded completely constant in my ears, then all I heard was the storm of wind inside of the star when I breached the ionosphere, and my body twitching in all directions, the muscles trying desperately to break the iron grip. When I got into the inner sphere all I could see was yellow, and the pulses of tendrils extending out to encase me in more energy, it seemed the closer I got to the middle the more it coiled around me, and when I got to the middle I let out a silent scream as my twitching body jerked and twitched, my nerves firing off random and erratic signals that my brain interpreted as pain, pleasure and more pain, the tendrils encircling me started pulsing faster, and faster, and faster, until it pulsed so fast that they looked completely solid. All I could see was white, all I could hear was the rushing winds from the solar core, then, all at once, it stopped, no whiteness, no noise, nothing, all I saw were stars and their tendrils, coiling and encircling each other in their golden energy, some red, others blue, a few purple, it was absolutely beautiful. Then I saw our ship, the energies were coiled around the hull breaches, and I looked at myself, and in my new sight, I saw that I was covered in golden light and surrounded by grasping tendrils, each connecting to a different star. Each one had something inside of it, whether it was more energy, knowledge or locations, it was overwhelming, and then, as if it knew, there was silence, and my vision returned to normal, and when I looked down at myself again I still had everything intact, and when I saw my flank it was a star, a yellow star, connected to a small group of other stars by the same tendrils that encircled me, with an obsidian sword and golden shield side-by side behind them. I flew back to the ship and trotted to my quarters and went to bed...


({LOCATION REDACTED BY ORDER OF CELESTIA})

The underground command center was crumbling, the bombardment above was still going on, but below the headquarters of a once unbelievably technologically advanced faction, lay a chamber, and in that chamber was a series of many tanks, and in each of these tanks lay a bipedal being, each the exact same one as before it. The one furthest back had several areas where metal covered and even replaced flesh, his right eye now a camera with a red lens; his left arm replaced by a robotic replacement; his right leg covered in greyish-black metal, a portion of his chest covered in the same material. His eyelids were twitching as adrenalin was artificially created and pumped through his veins, the sleeper agents being destroyed by a special enzyme in the adrenal, the body started slowly moving, as if it had not used its muscles in a while; if at all, the head looked up and a dark blue eye darted around, before settling on the glass in front of it, his tank quickly drained and he moved his left arm backwards, before smashing it through the thin glass and retracting it. He moved out of the tank and landed on the ground with a soft thump, on the wall opposite the tanks were uniforms, each the same thing: a black and red robe with black coverings. He took one off and put on the garments and left the chamber, headed for another part of the facility to plot his revenge...