• Published 16th Nov 2020
  • 597 Views, 11 Comments

Secret of the Pies - Player 4



On a random family trip to Rockville, Pinkie and Maud are hit with info that changes their outlook on their lives forever.

  • ...
0
 11
 597

Chapter 3

After that plunge into darkness, both with regards to Pinkie's vision + mind and the sky's color, Pinkie Pie awakens into the 03:00 night with her crying process finished. A visual memory of that bunch of brutality is present, however, with Pinkie's pillow being drenched in tears. The wetness could be felt even if the pillow was flipped over.

But that is somewhat escaping her right now. Having correctly cleared out the emotions of yesterday by letting them flow out in her tears, Pinkie's mind shifts, as her night awakeness session, dedicated to thinking, begins.

What is she thinking about? She's now thinking extensively about her biological parents, in a change from the previous day.

Who is my original mom? Where does she live? Why couldn't she keep us?, Pinkie thinks to herself, looking up at the white ceiling from her top bunk.

Who is my original dad? Is he still together with my original mom, or not? Did he have a say in our mom's decision to get rid of us?

Oh shoot. That last part "get rid of us" sets off Pinkie's mind back into sadness in a flash. There were no tears; she had run out of those, but here's a layer of betrayal on top of the already-existing one! Yikes!

Pinkie lets out a soft wimper at this thought, and would cry again if her supply of tears was not empty. As painful as it was to straight-up not be told by her adoptive family the important knowledge that she and Maud were adoptive, Pinkie couldn't help but also feel betrayed at the fact that her original parents removed her from their lives, even if she didn't know the reason.

That sack of sadness even starts spilling over into a desire of Pinkie's. Goodness, can't she catch a break?

I should go and meet my real parents. I want to do that.

But... if my bio parents had to send Maud and I off, would they even want us to meet them? Did they not love us? Why did they send us off?

During this minute, Pinkie cannot build up comprehension of a reason she and Maud would get shipped off for adoption besides their bio parents not wanting them around, so she believes the possibility that they wouldn't welcome a visit stands tall in her perceived reasonable sense.

But... that's the activity she wants to use as a sunbeam during this dark time.

I want to go look for my real parents. And take Maud with me. Yeah, I want to go on an adventure to meet the other parents! What are they like? Will we like them? And most importantly, why didn't they keep us?

But again... if the reason they gave us away was because they didn't want us, then would they even want us to visit?

Pinkie's desire to meet her biological parents held enough strength to get that question really put into... question. It wasn't going to let her give in and say "they wouldn't want us to come." Pinkie's mind puts itself to work, despite the sky being black and showing no signs of a color change anytime soon. Sleep can wait, apparently.

Well, you do have to think about the fact that it's been a long time. Maybe our original mom has had enough time passed that she would want to see us again! Maybe she regrets her decision and wants us back!

Here's the power of not giving into the first thoughts right away! Pinkie does strongly consider the regret possibility, and despite the negative things continuing to try and reignite their flames, she solidifies her decision to ask Maud to go on this adventure. Whatever the attitude, Pinkie really wanted to meet her original parents, and she feels it's worth it to go and see for herself whether the parents will accept meeting them or not.

With a crucial process beautifully completed, Pinkie is able to splash back into the dream waters, lit up by the anticipation of a possible exciting entailment starting in the morning.


When the long, cold, dark night finally puts itself away, Pinkie sun-rises into the second day (first full day) of this adoption saga that she knows she must go through. There is no way around, or out, or anywhere but through.

It's too late to change anything. They told me, I know they are not my real parents.

What I want to do now, is find out who my real parents are. And I will invite Maud to come with me. Everything else, like how we'll feel about this down the line, will show itself later.

Good planning by Pinkie. She has paved herself a path, with milestone signs she will keep track of. The task given by sign #1 is asking Maud if she will tag along.

Pinkie hops down the stairs to her sister, who is by herself on the breakfast table, eating green rock soup. None of the other Pies were anywhere to be seen across this main downstairs area, so it seems that the family's conflict-controlling protocol of not speaking to each other outside of each designated pair was still in effect.

"Hey, sis.", Pinkie says. "Got time to talk?"

Maud looks at Pinkie, then back at her bowl, and takes an eyes-closed sip, which symbolizes her mood.

"I'm trying to just enjoy my food and not think about what's happening, but... sure.", Maud responds.

"Good.", Pinkie says. "So I'm here to ask you about going on a trip to find our real parents. Last night, I found out that I really want to know who they are, and meet them, to see who we should be calling our family, whether it's Cloudy and Igneous, our original parents, or both."

Maud's facial expression changes to smiling, as the two sisters' desires have luckily clicked into mutuality.

"You know what Pinkie, that's I was thinking too. So yes, let's go do it. But how exactly do we find them? We have no idea who they are or where they live."

Pinkie's excitement drops to low levels quickly at the speaking of that last sentence, as she realizes Maud is totally correct. "Oh, right. Shoot sis, this is going to be hard.", she says.

Maud hops off from her table chair and goes in for the comfort. "It will, Pinkie. But I'm sure we'll find a way. Let's think for a bit, and we'll come up with something."

Maud initiates a hug with Pinkie as she says this, letting in the best technique of flushing out build-ups of worry and bringing careful thinking to a return. As always, it worked wonders, as Pinkie makes a suggestion right after their forelegs unwrap.

"Ooh, I know what we could do! Let's go ask Twilight! She knows so much stuff about so many different subjects, including family history! I'm sure she can find out some stuff about us!"

Maud, who did want to meet the bio parents, but had been refusing to let this topic into her mind, begins to see an open path to a good event in Pinkie's suggestion. "That sounds great, Pinkie.", she says.

"Let's do it!", Pinkie responds.

And there's the theme of Day 2 successfully uncovered.

It's amazing what a small hug can accomplish, isn't it?

Pinkie and Maud know there's a myriad of shots that could be fired at them in this attempt to find their biological parents, it will be a task, but what's important right now is that they have one part of the path clear. They know where they're going in the present. Asking Twilight; good. Good choice; let's focus on that.

There's another patch of mud before they can get to that point, though.

"Uh, I guess we have to tell everyone we're doing this.", Pinkie says.

"Yep. Can't sugarcoat it or anything; Mom and Dad must know our true desires and emotions. We made it clear to them we felt betrayed, we can't stop.", Maud responds.

"But I'm afraid we'll hurt their feelings!", Pinkie says. "I mean, we probably already did that; I don't want to do it more!"

Maud again uses the trusty method of touch, planting her front hoof on Pinkie's. A common display in Equestria.

"I'm sure they'll understand, Pinkie. They're already upset with themselves for not telling us. Maybe you are right to be concerned about causing more damage to them, but we can say in our announcement that we love them."

"If we are going to go on this adventure, it is important for them to know."

That last sentence sets things off in Pinkie's mind. "You're right, sis. We have to do this. Let's ask them if they can talk."

Maud nods.

The two adopted sisters retreat back up to the bedroom, allowing Cloudy and Igneous time to clear their sleep-foggy minds and fuel them with breakfast before breaking out this meteor of emotional news to them.

When the time comes, Pinkie and Maud have to usurp the title that Cloudy and Igneous held yesterday. The title "news-breakers."

Pinkie peeks around the corner of the hallway leading into the same livingroom that this whole thing started in, where their adoptive parents are just sitting there, hardly doing anything. Looks like the perfect environment for a heavy discussion.

"I think it's time, Maud, but... I don't want to do this! This is going to hurt them!", Pinkie says.

Maud's work isn't done. She must give Pinkie another reason why this is the right thing to do.

"We're adults, Pinkie.", she says. "We make our own decisions, and sometimes our parents need to know about it."

That was all it took.

"Alright. Let's do it.", Pinkie says.

The two sisters walk up to their parents and begin the process.

"Mom and Dad, we need to tell you something."

Cloudy and Igneous didn't like the sound of this. With what's been going on, a sentence like would naturally be one of the last things you'd like to hear. But they must accept.

"Sure, our daughters. What's going on?"

Pinkie and Maud sit down on the nearby chairs, and Pinkie has to do the same thing as her adoptive father from yesterday.

"Mom and Dad, we have decided to try and meet our biological family."

"It's what we know we should do.", Maud adds.

"But please, don't think that we don't still love you.", Pinkie responds. "We do, a lot..."

As Pinkie speaks that sentence, she can't help but go up and hug her adoptive parents while shedding tears in the process.

"Aww, we love you too, Pinkie.", Cloudy says. "Adoption will never change that."

"DNA doesn't determine your family.", Igneous says.

"And we respect your decision.", Cloudy says. "We understand if you want to meet your other parents. It's perfectly natural."

Pinkie continues to hug, and Maud smiles in her chair.

"Things don't turn out as bad as they seem when the emotions are still fresh.", Maud says. "Day 2 was bound to be different from Day 1."

That is true.


It's also the passage of time that has assisted the sisters in clearing out the fog on the path. Had the plan for this trip been made yesterday, they may not have thought to look for Twilight as a source for the info they're after.

Only thing is... now there's another pony who will require the news-break to be delivered to her. This adoption thing had only been discussed between the Pies themselves at their isolated Rockville home, so now there's another piece of this, which Pinkie notices the presence of as she seemingly gives the green light to this trip.

"Alright! Let's go and see Twilight!", Pinkie says, pointing to the door with grinning teeth... and then planting it back down with a frown.

Yep. There's the unplanned red light.

"But... but Twilight is one of my friends!", Pinkie says. "She doesn't know about this yet, and I think it will break her heart too!"

For the nth consecutive time, Maud knows what to do.

"It is hard, Pinkie. But we've already done this. We can do it again.", she says.

"Let's just go and do it. We'll have to wait and see what happens."

And Pinkie does.

"Thanks sis. You're always my trusted helper."

They both set out and hop on the morning train from Rockville to Ponyville, moving themselves to a long session with Twilight involving another round of questions, emotions, etc; the harsh likeness of late-discovery adoption.

But then, while they were focusing on this topic on the train... something weird happens.

Pinkie's cutie mark turns on its glow, and for her, there's zero need to wonder what's going on. That is, until what should be going on gets impeded.

"Oh, The Cutie Map is calling me! I have a task to do, which means..."

...Yep.

Her mouth hangs down, then her head follows suit. This particular Cutie Map call is an anamoly in that it leads Pinkie to believe she won't be moving forward with her plans today. As if that weren't enough, she has to let the pony tagging along with those plans down.

"Maud, I have something bad to tell you. I'm being called by The Cutie Map, which means we can't go find our biological mother tod..."

Maud isn't listening.

That's because she's staring down at her flank and holding her clothing up. Why? Because... her cutie mark is also glowing!

"Wha-wha-what?", Pinkie Pie yelps as she looks down in direction with Maud. "You're being called by The Cutie Map? But... but you're not one of us who hold the Elements of Harmony!"

"I know.", Maud says, with her tone of voice seeing a rare turn-up to higher volume. "I'm as shocked as you."

"Well! I guess this gives us more reason to see Twilight then!", Pinkie says.

Totally. Good thing they were already on the train headed towards the correct city. In any case, though, both sisters had the seemingly inevitable done to them; another jaw-dropper event. This saga's status should be updated from "crazy" to "insane."


They arrive at Twilight's castle, and just go in for it. They're tired of delaying the inevitable.

Or, seemingly inevitable, as that pre-labeled status gets ripped away.

"Pinkie! Maud! Awesome to see you came!", Twilight squeals, sprinting out of the castle doors. "Yes, I know, it makes no sense that Maud, someone who isn't registered to the Cutie Map, is being called to it! But don't worry; I found something in a book about it!"

...Wow! Now that's a lift off the shoulders!

"Oh, you did? Eee! That's so awesome, Twilight!", Pinkie exclaims, hopping up and down "What does it say?"

"It says that ponies outside of the primary group can be called to the map if there is a presence of magic strong enough. It's really rare, but it does happen."

"So Maud, what's happening with you is that there is something going on that's far too important for you not be called. It's so impactful on your life that it overrides the restrictions."

Wow. What could that be?

Could it be...

!

At this point, Pinkie and Maud completely forget to even tell Twilight what they had come for. All that's on their mind now is the possibility that what the map was calling them for was to direct them to the location of their biological parents!

"Alright, so where do we go?", Pinkie asks, fully believing in this.

"The map says you should go to this place called the "Temple of Portals.", Twilight responds. "Apparently, what you're looking for is in an alternate universe."

"But here's the thing; unlike in most cases, I can't tell what exactly the map is calling you towards. For some reason I can't find anything about, the purpose of the trip is blocked off. You'll just have to see when you get there."

That's enough for the sisters. They think it's more likely than not that the map is directing them towards their desired location.

"Thanks so much, Twilight!", Pinkie says. "Off we go!"

Off they go indeed. They take their trip to this temple, ready to take the chance.

It's a long journey. They have to hike across valleys, climb across mountains, and hike through the forest, exposing their muscles to an absolutely grinding haul.

At least they're able to stray their minds away from the physical roughness by conversing about what kinds of things they should do when they meet their bio parents. Exciting distraction.

That word "distraction", though; it's about to become relevant for a second time... negatively.


At sunset time, when the sisters have reached a dark forest, Pinkie is so physically tuckered out that she lets her legs collapse, laying on the grass.

"I can't go any further, Maud. We have to stop and sleep.", Pinkie says.

Maud would normally be one to say "But we have no choice but to keep going. We can't sleep in the middle of a forest. We don't even know where we are. It could be dangerous.", and she is preparing this sentence in her mind for a speak, in fact.

However, upon looking to her right, she can reciprocate a common Pinkie technique on Pinkie herself.

"I agree, and it turns out there's a hotel right around the corner. Look at this sign."

The prospect of having a hotel right over there when she's laying on the grass, to be that fortunate, is a possibility wielding enough power for Pinkie to walk on her feet seemingly like normal. She looks at the sign Maud point to, and indeed, the word "hotel" followed by a left arrow and the text "2-minute walk" is there. This perks Pinkie up all right, a lot.

"Let's go!", she says.

Only for that "let's go" to be stopped by another red light.

"Wait a minute, Maud... where is this place?", Pinkie Pie says, concerned. I don't think the map told us to go through a forest."

Maud's eyes snap into an uncharacteristic wide-shoot, as she takes a look around and realizes that no, this place was not in the cards.

"You're right. We veered off the path.", Maud says.

"But let's figure that out tomorrow. There's a hotel nearby, and we're tired."

Pinkie can't help but agree. She's frustrated that they did this to themselves; that they let themselves get so distracted that they'd wander off, and that the temple of portals might now be a further distance away, but she accepts Maud's declaration that the tasks of this day had been accomplished, That dealing with the wander-off was for later.

They're a little scared of entering this hotel due to not knowing where in Equestria they are, but a hotel is a hotel and they desperately need one, so they take the dive.

And, after a very short walk, their location reveals itself, thanks to the reception desk worker greeting them as they walk into the hotel.

"Welcome!", a creature who looks like a pony, but slightly different, says. The front desk worker is a pony with a mane binding itself together under her chin, and some sort of tall red spike where a unicorn's horn would be.

They were in the Kirin village.

Well, good! They had, by random chance, ended up in a place full of friendly creatures! Since they had strayed from their path, the possibility of them walking right into the heart of a timberwolf territory or something like that kept itself in their minds. But it didn't come true.

Although, their Pinkie sense and Maud sense could have easily given them a warning if they had been entering a high-risk area. It has that ability, as Pinkie realizes.

"You know what, I think our Pie-sense bodies would have told us if we were going somewhere dangerous. We were fine all along.", she says to Maud.

In any case, with luck on their side for this part, Pinkie and Maud check into the hotel and make their way into the third-floor room, out of the building that has four floors. The room is coated in a wall of orange paint, then the bedspreads are crimson, then the chairs are constructed and colored by natural wood.

They finally get a chance to wash off all that grime they picked up from their nature adventure, and give their muscles a relief.


As the sky returns to blackness and Pinkie and Maud's bodies and minds finally reap the benefits of not being on that both physical and emotional hike that was today, Pinkie's mind lightbulbs one of, in her view, one of the most awesome ways to unwind, especially on a day like this.

No matter how much her mind was swirling with the adoption, physical exhaustion from today, or even the added stress of having wandered off the path, she knows this technique has proven itself in putting all worries on hold. She's used it for such before and had it work.

"Hey Maud, I think I know what we should do tonight after this long day. We should cuddle."

Maud's face changes from her usual to a smile, indicating she's made her decision, which is somewhat uncharacteristic of Maud. She welcomed hugs from her sister, but overall wasn't touchy-feely, much like Limestone and Marble.

However, the absolute craziness that has been this whole thing so far continues to unfold exceptions.

"That sounds great, Pinkie."

"Eeee!", Pinkie responds. "Cuddle time with my sis!"

Maud climbs under the dark crimson bedspread and invites Pinkie in to get as close to her as physically possible.

Pinkie hops into the right side of the bed, rolls herself under the covers as well, and shuffles her way over to the location of her sister's soft gray fur. Maud then wraps her warm forelegs around Pinkie, hugging her to the point of dissolving away cold (it was currently winter in Equestria) and replacing it with warmth, topped off by helping her relax from the revolving door of strong emotions caused by this saga.

Pinkie feels her body go dreary at the sensation of a tight hug and soft warm fur on her. But before she can sleep, she must reciprocate the action. She slides her left foreleg under Maud and drapes her right foreleg above her side, completing the honeymoon hug position.

Maud feels her eyes widen at the shock of her sister's hug tightness level, but soon finds herself uncharacteristically relaxing from the sensation too. She, like Pinkie, is finding herself loving bathing in the warmth, softness, and love.

"You know what Pinkie, cuddling is better than I thought.", she says.

"Aww, glad you like it!", Pinkie responds. "I figured it was a great thing to do between us tonight!"

"And you were right about that, Pinkie.", Maud says.

Powered by the magic of cuddles, they drift off to sleep. Much better ending to the day than before.

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to get this chapter out. Hopefully it was an outlier.

Pinkie's behavior during the concern scenes, where her concern seemed to dissipate as soon as Maud responded to it, I had doubts about that, but remembering that scene from the pilot episode, I think it makes sense. Taking from that, it's my headcanon of Pinkie; she is vulnerable to feeling like her plans might fall apart from one punch, but on the other hand, she's easy to comfort and persuade.

Also, cuddles! :heart: It doesn't have to be a full-on cuddle story for them to make an appearance! :pinkiehappy: