• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 759 Views, 11 Comments

Legends of the Night Guard - Alfalfa Falafel



The Night Guard battles against the dark things that lurk where the light of day cannot reach.

  • ...
0
 11
 759

Introduction

My name is Silver Herald, son of Silver Wing and Bright Sky, and the third Chronicler of the Equestrian Royal Night Guard.

As it was for those who held my position before me, it is my esteemed duty to record the actions of the Night Guard, the perils we face, and the battles we fight. I do this so that future generations may learn from our experiences. Though I hope that will never be necessary.

I pray upon every star in the Firmament that none of the horrors recorded in this tome will ever resurface to blight our fair kingdom of Equestria. I pray to Celestia that the Gates of Tartarus shall forever remain shut. I pray to Luna that ponykind will never have need of the dreadful knowledge detailed herein. Yet I also know that anything may come to pass in the infinite turnings of the world. So if ever Equestria is engulfed in terror and strife, look to our stories for guidance. Let our knowledge be your lantern in whatever dark times may lie ahead.

We are the Night Guard. We guard the night.

Our brothers-in-arms in the Day Guard are chosen for their sense of honor, for their steadfast hearts and for their honest souls. They stand as the protectors of the realm, as hammer and shield, ready to defend against all those who would threaten Equestria.

The same cannot be said of us. Those selected to join our ranks are often thieves, liars and on occasion, murderers. But do not mistake us for a band of petty criminals and brutish rogues. For all brothers of the Night Guard are those who have recognized the error of their ways and acknowledged their sins. By the infinite compassion and mercy of Our Lady, Princess Luna, we have been granted a second chance. We have been reborn with new purpose. An opportunity to redeem ourselves and our souls, by using our dark skills in faithful service to Equestria.

We are thieves that sink into the shadows to keep a watchful vigil.

We are liars that deceive to ensnare daemons wherever they tread.

We are murderers that kill to slay the monsters that threaten ponykind.

We are the Night Guard. We guard the night.

These collected stories are our penance. Our redemption. Our victories. Our failures.

But perhaps most of all, they are simply our stories.

It is very likely that you read this tome long after my death. Long after my bones have turn to dust and the dust has been worn away into nothingness. Long after my sons and their sons have died. And though I may never know your name reader, though I may never know what Mark you bear upon your flank, though I may never know whether you are unicorn, pegasus or earthpony, I ask one thing of you.

I ask that after you have read of us, of all we gained and all we gave, of our lives and our deaths, I ask that you remember us.

Remember us not as thieves or liars or murderers.

Remember us simply as ponies.

Ponies who did wrong and sacrificed everything they had to make it right.

We are the Night Guard. And we guard the night.