• Published 3rd Dec 2020
  • 379 Views, 6 Comments

Home - Northguard



Lightning Dust has had enough of living as a slave and wants nothing more than to go home. Luck appears to be on her side.

  • ...
2
 6
 379

Chapter 2

She didn't know how long it had been out. The only thing she could do was guess. Her guess was a few hours as the snow hadn't covered her that much.
When she opened her eyes, she was first greeted by snow and a white cloud-filled sky. The next thing that came to her was pain. Her head pounded and her entire body ached. When she looked over herself, she discovered something that lit her mood. The rope around her wings had been so damaged by her escape that it barely hung on. She grabbed it with one hoof and gave it a firm, albeit weak, tug. The rope snapped and fell onto the snow. She sighed with relief and stretched out her wings for the first time in six years. The joints cracked and popped loudly and painfully as she opened them and flapped them several times in order to get feeling back into them. As she did this, she also felt Stuart climbing onto her back and then onto her head.

"I see you made it too," she said with a chuckle.

She looked around the area she now found herself in and the only way she could go now was straight into the desert of snow that stretched as long as the eye could see. Lightning Dust let out a sigh as she looked at her wings.

"It's worth a try at least," she said as she began flapping them.

It took some effort, but soon she found herself elevated above the ground. She started to fly forward at a slow pace as she knew that she couldn't push her body too hard, but due to her wings' six years of inactivity, the pain quickly began to grip her and after only a few moments she had to land.

"I guess we'll have to walk." she sighed in slight disappointment as she began to walk away from the cliffside.


Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned hours. She had walked across the frozen land for so long that she no longer knew how long it had been. It was beginning to get dark and she began having problems seeing out in the night. She looked up at the sky, expecting to see a pitch-black void of darkness due to the clouds, but instead, she saw a sky filled with stars. The moon was full and shone down on the land. The sight mesmerized Lightning Dust and she stood there like she was stuck. When she looked downwards, she saw something that gave her hope.

Light.

It wasn't much, but it was there. The light was visible in the distance. Not only that, but smoke was present as well. Smoke came from fire and fire meant heat. Hope filled her as she began walking towards the source of the light that grew brighter with every step she took. Her effort led her over a small hill that revealed the source of light as a small village. Great joy swelled up in her chest, a smile spread across her face and her eyes began to sparkle with hope. Despite the odds, she had managed to find her way back to civilization.
She began to walk down the small hill, but because of the aching pain in her body, she couldn't keep her balance and ended up falling over and rolling around a few times before she slid down the rest of the way. When she came to a stop, she found herself a few meters from the border, but the pain in her body wouldn't let her stand up again that easily. She lay there a few minutes before she managed to muster the strength to make an attempt to stand up again. After three failed attempts she managed to stumble up on her hooves again, but walking wouldn't come easy either as she almost fell over several times. The only thing really keeping her on her hooves by now was her willpower and the adrenaline that coursed through her veins. She wasn't giving up, not now, not ever.

"Come on Lightning Dust. You promised." she hissed to herself as she forced her body to walk towards the village.

She walked through the silent village as she looked for a place that she could walk right into. After a few minutes, she spotted a bar not far away and immediately set course for it. When she reached the door, she could feel the warmth radiating from the building. She pushed the door open and a massive wave of heat hit her like a runaway train, but as if the warmth triggered something, the pain in her body returned tenfold. She fell onto wooden the floor and she began sweating like crazy. Her head felt like it was about to split open and every single muscle in her body was aching to the point she almost wanted to scream in pain. Through the pain, she felt Stuart crawling out of her mane and beginning to scratch her face carefully in an attempt to get her back to her senses but to no avail.
The bartender ran out from behind the counter and came up to her and put a hoof on her forehead. Lightning Dust's vision began to grow hazy as she heard the bartender shouting for help as somepony sat down next to her. She couldn't really see any major details, but she could at least see a light blue coat and a rainbow-coloured mane before everything went black.