• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 5,202 Views, 83 Comments

The AppleDash Project: Wherever Life Takes Us - bookplayer



A look at a behind the scenes relationship between AJ and Dash set around episodes from Season 3

  • ...
12
 83
 5,202

Raising Barns isn't for Everypony (Too Many Pinkie Pies)

Dash sighed. The question of what to do today was decided for the moment. The answer turned out to be 'smack around clouds that didn't know how to stay in the stinking sky.' This was not her favorite answer, but it was better than just pushing them around at least.

She gave the cloud a few sharp smacks with her tail.

“You show that fog who's boss.”

Dash looked up from the annoying patch of fog to see Applejack smirking at her.

“Want me to show you next?” Dash said, smirking right back.

“Only if ya' want your tail tied round an apple tree.”

“No fair, flirting with me when I'm at work.” Dash grinned and flew over to AJ. “What's up?”

Applejack nuzzled her. “I was just wonderin', do ya have any plans for the afternoon?”

“Nope!” Dash's eyes lit up at the idea of possible excitement. “Why? Wanna do something fun?”

“Well, I sure do. We're havin' a barn raisin'!” Applejack said, proudly.

Dash was actually caught off guard for a moment. She knew a barn raising usually came with a party, but something about the idea was unsettling. Never one to question why she was feeling any given thing, Dash just stared at AJ, arching an eyebrow. “Barn raising?”

“Yup!” Applejack went on, not seeming to notice Dash's lack of enthusiasm. “We're askin' anypony who wants to come to help out!”

“Um, no thanks. I have plans.”

Applejack's face fell. “You just said you weren't doin' nothin'!”

“My plans changed.” Dash shrugged. “Now I'm not doing anything that involves building a barn.”

“You sure you don't wanna come?” AJ asked hopefully. “You've never raised a barn before, it'd be somethin' different.”

Dash cringed a little, she hated to disappoint AJ. But she did not want to raise a barn, so she latched on to an excuse. “I'm not dumb, this is totally one of those things where you tell me how much fun something'll be to trick me into working!”

“Well, I ain't sayin' there's no work to be done-”

“Ha! Told ya!” Dash smirked.

“But everypony's gonna be workin' together, and in the end we can all have a bite to eat and feel proud of what we did.” Applejack finished with a smile.

Dash frowned. It did sound nice. “Can I come for the dinner and feeling proud part?”

“Not if ya' ain't gonna help,” Applejack said dryly.

“You know I'd totally help, but. . .” Dash glanced around and caught sight of the fog. “I have to work all morning. I just wanna relax after that.”

Applejack nodded, definitely seeming disappointed now. “Well then, that's just fine. I just thought ya' like to try somethin' new and fun. I mean, I'd never say ya' don't work hard at stuff, and ya' help me out all the time, but I don't think I've ever seen ya' build somethin', somethin' that lasts and you can look at years from now.”

Dash blinked. “I- I haven't.”

“Don't ya' wanna give it a shot?”

“Nah,” Dash said automatically, wondering why AJ's speech left this nagging feeling in the back of her mind. She shoved it aside and smirked at AJ. “But, if you've got a new barn, maybe I could come over tonight and we could break it in.”

Applejack's face melted into a smirk. “I see how it is. You don't wanna help build a barn, but you sure wanna use it. You sure that ain't gonna be too much work for ya'?”

“Try me!”

“I'll just haveta do that tonight. I gotta go haul some apples now, sugarcube. You stay outta trouble!”

As AJ left, Dash returned to the fog, wondering what was wrong with her. She's just disappointed AJ and turned down a probably fun new thing to do. But it just wasn't her kind of new thing. She liked moving fast and danger and excitement. Building a big, solid barn that would be there forever. . . that was the sort of thing AJ did. AJ could have fun too, of course. Dash loved it when AJ had fun with her. But when it came to making stuff that lasted. . . that was totally AJ's department.

Dash went back to attacking the fog with her tail, trying to think of something to do after work, since AJ was going to be busy.