• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 1,642 Views, 22 Comments

The Element of Identity - CEverw00d



Changeling goes rogue and searches for a new purpose.

  • ...
4
 22
 1,642

Ch 2. Off to Ponyville

Ch 2. Off to Ponyville

Princess Luna and Exulus watched from the tower and did little. Luna would occasionally talk and would simply receive a “meow” as a response. Morning came and with it, Princess Celestia.

As Celestia flew over to them, she smiled at Exulus and said, “Good morning sister, Good morning Mr. Cat. Did you keep each other company last night?”

“Indeed we did, sister!” Luna said with a smile, “In addition, he has helped me to formulate a request that I have.”

“Hm? What is it?” Celestia tilted her head in curiosity. It wasn’t often that Luna had a request.

“I would like to visit Twilight and her friends this day, then I would resume my duties during the night.”

“I don’t see why you couldn’t. They’re your friends too, but won’t you be tired during the night if you stay up?”

Luna shook her head, “I shan’t be awake all day. I will return to my quarters at about noon to get rest for the night to come.”

“Very well. Would you like to take my carriage? I’m sure your guard would like to be sleeping about now.”

“Yes, I shall let them rest. Thank you dear sister.” As Luna spread her wings and was about to take off, she then remembered something and looked down at Exulus, “Would thoust like to come along and meet these friends of ours, Kitty Cat?”

Friends of both Princesses….and ones that don’t live in Canterlot? Could she be talking about those six ponies with the elements? DO I want to meet them? Hmm….I suppose it couldn’t hurt. Exulus thought this and jumped upon Luna’s back where she gently flew to Celestia’s carriage.

The carriage itself flew, carrying Luna and Exulus through the skies. Flying wasn’t anything new for Exulus, but this high up? And not by his own wings? It was somehow different.

As the carriage approached, various ponies down in Ponyville, who were beginning their morning routines, saw the carriage and set everything aside to gather and see. When the carriage landed, however, they were surprised, but not disappointed. It was a princess, but not Celestia. Everyone wondered what was going on.

Twilight was the first on the scene as she knocked open the door and rushed out to greet her, “Welcome Princes…..Luna?” Twilight tilted her head in confusion like the rest. There was no occasion planned, no letter sent ahead of time, just an arrival.

Spike soon followed, then poked Twilight’s side, “Uhhh, did you know about this?”

Twilight looked at Spike, “The only way I would know is if you cough up a letter. You didn’t swallow it or something, did you?”

“No way! I might be a baby dragon but I’m not THAT clumsy!”

“Twilight Sparkle!” Luna interjected, “How I am pleased to see you are well! Do tell, what new do you have as of late?”

“Uhhh news?” Twilight questioned. “Nothing…er….special has come up lately. Did something happen? Is Discord out again?”

“No, no, thou needn’st worry. My visit is purely for recreational purposes. I wish to, how you say, ‘catch up’ on what is new with you and your friends. I do not receive letters like my sister does.”

“Oh! Okay then! We actually were going to meet up today in the park and play with our pets together. Would you like to come along?”

“Yes, indeed I would be delighted to join in this fun! As it would happen, today I have brought a pet with me!”

“I didn’t know you had a pet Princess Luna! What kind of animal is it? Is it a Phoenix like Philomena?”

“Nay, t’is a cat. One that I met last night and have grown a tad fond of.”

Exulus hopped out of the carriage and moved up next to Luna and faced Twilight. He stared directly at her, This unicorn….she’s definitely one of those element-holders. So this is the friend that Luna spoke of? Twilight Sparkle? If I recall correctly, she’s the main one who could tell the difference between the Chrysalis and the real Cadence. She must be very observant.

“Is this him?” Twilight said, directing a hoof to Exulus.

“Yes, this is he. My sister and I have taken to calling him ‘Kitty Cat.’ T’is a fitting name!”

“Yep. It sure is!” Twilight said, trying to sound sincere. It was a fitting name, it was just….obvious. She leaned her head down to get a closer look at Exulus and said, “He looks like a very nice cat! I’m sure he’ll enjoy everyone else’s pet! Especially Rarity’s! Let’s get going! Owlowiscious! Let’s get going!”

The owl came flapping out of the top window of the library and perched on Twilight’s back as the five of them made their way to the park. Most of the other ponies who had gathered around earlier had gone back to their everyday business. Some gathered around the Pegasi who had pulled the chariot.

Twilight and Luna were the first to arrive, but Rarity arrived soon after with Opalescence in tow. She gasped as she spotted Princess Luna and hurried over, “Twilight, Princess Luna, hello! What Bring you here, Princess?”

“I am here to have fun with my friends and their pets. This is a cat I met last night. His name is Kitty Cat. Kitty Cat, this is Rarity.”

Exulus lazily tossed a glance at Rarity and meowed.

Rarity smiled, “Hello Mr. Kitty Cat. My, he’s got quite the clean coat and such a majestic figure to him! He’s a very handsome-looking cat indeed! I’m sure Opal would just adore him! Come here Opal, make a friend!” Oplalescence came over slowly. The cat’s eyes suddenly widened, her pupils turning to hearts and a tongue swiftly passed over her kitty lips.

Exulus, however, saw Opal and drew back in disgust. Ugh! What IS that creature!? Is that a CAT!? It’s hideous! It’s so…ugh!

Despite his mental protests, Opal pounced on him and tried to hug and lick him while Exulus struggled to get her off.

Rarity giggled, “Awww, they’re playing already. So adorable! Opal, just try not to get your fur too messy!”

Soon the others began to arrive. Fluttershy and Applejack came together while Pinkie Pie arrived with a small wagon of toys. Rainbow Dash would be the last to arrive, each asking about Luna’s presence as they arrived and each was curious about Luna’s very own pet, which was far less grand than a phoenix, but still interesting that she had a pet.

Time passed. After playing with their animals, the group moved to Sugarcube corner and spent the rest of their time walking and talking.

Luna looked sun-ward and said, “I have enjoyed our time together, but I dost believe it time to go. I must get my rest for the night to come.”

Twilight nodded, “Alright. Remember, you can come visit any time! I’ll try to start sending letters to you too!”

“T’would be much appreciated, Twilight Sparkle! Now, come along Kitty Cat,” Luna said as she entered the chariot.

Exulus merely sat beside the chariot and looked up at Luna. He passed glances to the other six ponies, then back to Luna, “Meow.”

“Oh?” She said. “Is that so?”

“Meow.”

“Are thoust certain?”

“Meow.”

“Very well then. Until we meet again!”

“Wait,” Twilight said, “What did he say?”

“He wishes to stay here for the time being,” Luna replied. “And I shall respect his wishes. Until next time, my little ponies!”

With that, the chariot took off, whisking a tired Luna back to Canterlot.

The six ponies now turned Exulus-ward. They approached him and then passed glances to one another.

“So, uh, what should we do with him?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I don’t know. If I understood the princess correctly, he’s a stray cat that she and Princess Celestia found.” Twilight noted.

“Well shoot, if it’s a stray, don’tcha think we should just let ‘im roam around town?” Applejack added.

“No way!” Twilight objected, “He might be a stray, but if it’s a cat that the princesses are fond of, then I think we should take care of him!”

“I don’t have much experience with cats and I don’t know if Gummy would like him!” Pinkie Pie stated. “What about you Fluttershy?”

“I wouldn’t mind taking him in. Though, I don’t know what Angel would think.” Fluttershy commented.

“Oh don’t worry Fluttershy,” Rarity started, “I’ll take him in. I already tend to one cat, one more handsome cat wouldn’t be too much trouble! He seems well-behaved and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind the food that Opal eats. I’ll take care of him!”

“Thanks Rarity,” Twilight said, “Why don’t you show him around your home then so he can get used to the place?”

“An excellent idea Twilight! Come along Kitty Cat, I’ll show you your new home!” Rarity headed home with Exulus following. The other ponies said good-bye to one another and headed their separate ways for the rest of the day.