• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 1,729 Views, 78 Comments

The Name's Shadow, Shadow Eternal... - EternalShadow54



"I wonder what Celestia would do if she captured me. Nothing I couldn't handle, I'm sure...&a

  • ...
5
 78
 1,729

The Scaredy Pony...

Author's note: This part has been written since I began this story, only for it to arise now that I've been able to make it fit. I did a bit of editing, but don't expect it to be of TOP quality. Nonetheless, ENJOY! I'll get around to editing it out better my second go around.

It was only a day or two after Peach Puppet had paid Shadow a visit, and he was about to have his fun with another pony, a stallion, one whom had fried nerves and seemed scared of everything...

A darkness fell upon the pony traveling through the Everfree, the woods as dangerous as ever with its strange creatures and ravenous beast. There was a sudden noise in the distance, a crack of a twig as a low growl came just out of the pony's sight. There was a sudden eerie silence.

A shadow flew over this pony for nearly a second. The figure landing somewhere within the treetops around her. A pair of blue eyes appeared within the leaves of the tree branches. The beast's growl was also heard by him, so he was more tha cautious than usual.

The shady figure started to circle the mare, its speed becoming faster and faster to almost blinding as the growls now came from every direction. The mare was twisting her head in all directions, unsure of the way to run. Suddenly, the beast came from behind her, drawing back its claws as it was ready to end her life in one fell swoop.

The figure from the tree suddenly burst from the branches and tackled the creature. His form was revealed once the light hit his body. A blue and black coated stallion tackled the creature. But this was no ordinary pony. His front legs seemed to be like eagle talons, and his wings were like a bat's. His head was crowned with a few gray sharp spikes. His long spike glowed in a black aura, just like a unicorn horn. "You will not harm anypony as long as I'm here!" he exclaimed. With a blast from his spike, the creature was knocked into the woods. "That will keep him back for now..." he said between breaths of exhaustion.

The mare behind disentigrated into dust, another figure flashing from the woods edge toward the unique stallion. Within an almost instant, a blade was at the throat of the pony, the figure in the form of another stallion, but the appearence hidden by a low shade. Suddenly, the figure speaks, his voice gruffy and the tone un-nearving. "Who are you!" the pony said, his tone revealing that it was, in fact, a stallion. "Answer me!"

The stallion was surprised by the mare's sudden disappearence, but was even more surprised by the sudden blade. The blade accompanied by the gruff voice scared the colt back into what he usually is, scared. He remainded silent, quivering in fear of the other stallion above him.

"Answer or die!" the voice bellowed, lifting his head to face that of the stallions before him. The pony with his blade at the others throat glared with furious anger, his words sharper than a edged sword. The mysterious stallion's appearence of his black and white mane with colorless eyes was one of question. "WELL!" he roared, pressing the edge closer to his victims throat.

The edging of the blade caused the stallion to panic still, but the one demanded an answer, so he needed to give him one. "I-I-I'm M-Midnight..." he stammered. "P-P-Please...d-d-don't hurt m-me..."

"Midnight..." the figure stated, twirling the blade back into his sheath. A sense of confusion washed over Midnight as he saw a hoof jut from the shade, the same voice now a friendlier tone than before. "I'm Shadow, Shadow Eternal, but just call me Shadow." A few moments passed, the stallion still in a state of shock from earlier. The pony within the shade that called himself Shadow stepped forward showing his face once more as he still held his hoof out. "Don't worry, that's how I greet everypony," he says with a grin. "Well, usually anyway."

Midnight felt like fainting, but now everything was safe. He was still a bit shaken. However he managed to compose himself to make one statement, "That is some way to greet a pony."

Shadow chuckled, taking his blade from his sheath again. "You should see how I greet guards." He says, waving his blade around like it was some sort of toy. "Anyways, what's a stallion like yourself doing walking around my woods? Dontcha know that I have explosive traps set through this path?" The shaded pony stated, now stepping from the dark to reveal his full figure. His mane and tail were unkept, his coat the same colorless shade as his eyes, and his vest along with his armored boots black as the void. "Don't mind the lack of color in my eyes. Just because I don't have a soul doesn't mean you have to be afraid," he snickers.

Midnight was surprised by how he acted, waving the sword as if it was made of wood. "Well... I visit my marefriend from time-to time and..." Midnight was shocked when the mentioning of no soul. He gulped, trying to choose his words carefully. This stallion was dangerous, more dangerous that anything he has encountered before. It was true that he was braver than what he used to be, but what the stallion said was troubling. "I n-never meant to disturb y-you. I just heard growling and hid myself. When I saw the mare, I though she could use some help." Midnight trailed a claw in the dirt, "Do you... think I'm a monster...?"

Shadow suddenly took notice to Midnight's unique body layout, his form certainly not normal to say the least. "No more than I," he answered, twirling the blade in one hoof as he drew a dagger from his vest, now spinning two blades, one in each hoof. "A marefriend?" Shadow stateed, throwing his dagger at the hooves of Midnight, causing the stallion to jump. "Interesting..." Shadow then threw the blade in the air, the weapon disappearing into the night as its landing would be completely random. "Tell me..." he started, lifting a hoof and causing a field to form around the two. "With whom do you align? Solar Empire or New Lunar Republic? Also, do you find me dangerous?" A moment passed. "I'd answer quickly before my blade comes back down."

Shadow's words scared him even more. He had no idea what Shadow was talking about. Solar Empire... Lunar Republic? What does he mean? Is he talking about Princess Celestia and Luna? "Uh...I am sorry to say that I have no idea what each of them are," Midnight responded. "It sounds like your talking about Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Weren't they on the same side?"

"My friend, we have only a possible few more moments before my blade decides to make its way back down to Equestria, so I'll answer your question when you answer my second one. Do you, or do you not find me dangerous?" Shadow's eyes grew a sinister black, his voice becoming slightly distorted.

Midnight stepped back in fear. His wings blocked his face from Shadow, scared of what he might do. "I-I do f-fine y-you d-dangerous... m-most dangerous p-pony I-I have ever m-met." Midnight ducked down, afraid of what would come next.

There was a long silence as nothing happened. Shadow glared at the cowering pony before him, a smug grin forming across his face. With one hoof, Shadow extended his foreleg to help Midnight up, the other hoof catching the blade right beside him.

"You should never judge a book by its cover..." Shadow says, a chuckle escaping as his eyes returned to their normal colorless state.

Midnight uncovered the wings from his face, letting out a huge sigh. Very gently, he extended his claw, grasped Shadow's hoof, and stood up. "Thank you." he said. "I never judge a book by its cover, just look at me. If anything, I was mainly afraid of your actions and words."

"My actions, I can understand... but my words were true..." Shadow stated with a sorrowful sigh. "I really am without a soul, and if you were a guard, you wouldn't be alive right now." The stallion picked his dagger from the ground, twirling the blade ONCE MORE in his hoof. "So why in Equestria would somepony like you travel these dangerous roads? Couldn't you just fly over?" the mysterious stallion asks, unfurling his wings as he walked back over to Midnight.

Midnight thought over his words. "It is true that I could fly, but Everfree holds a secret beauty," he replied. "And it is much easier to get to Ponyville from my marefriend's place by taking the path." The last reason popped into Midnight's head, brining a sorrowful frown onto his face, "And when you've been through what I have, walking is probably the best option... especially when you are forced to flee..."

"Heh... trust me kid. Your past can't compare." Shadow states, glaring at the disheartened stallion. "Care to try?" he starts, the stallion called Midnight looking at him with a bit of confusion. "About horrible pasts I mean. It's not like you were in the war, accidentally killed your sis-" Shadow stops himself in mid sentence. "Nevermind, tell me your story and I might let you pass."

Midnight looked at Shadow with sadness. He hasn't told anypony his past in a while. He wasn't trying to compete, nor trying to get pity from Shadow. And from the few words that Shadow spoke, he seemed to have it even rougher than he did. But, he asked, and Midnight might as well tell.

"Well...it all started when I was just born" he started. "I did not grow up around Ponyville or Canterlot. I was born like what you see now, a horrifying looking monster. Despite what I looked like, my parents cared for me with love. When I was about three, I was running home because of a few ponies bullying me. However when I got home, I saw my parents being killed before my eyes." Midnight fought back a few tears before he continued. "The other villagers believed that I would die on my own, so they left me be. But I survived, survived from... from stealing food... I was never proud of that... Then... when I was around six or seven, I got my cutie mark."

Midnight's eyes were obviously filled with tears. He looked at his flank and sighed. "Three bullies showed up, stole the food I had for the week, and started to beat me up. But two of them intended to kill me. They nearly succeeded, but then..." Midnight broke down into tears at the sheer memory. He did not stop, the painful memory of the sadness and guilt rung through him greatly. The worse part was that he was doing this in front of Shadow. Who knew what he was thinking right now.

The other looked with little pity upon the stallion before him. "Heh, you wanna hear a rough life? Pull up a chair kid." The stallion before him was still crying, but Shadow cleared his throat and started.

"When I was just a young colt, I'd say around the age of five or seven, my village was... well, oblitherated by a demonic force conjured up by a good friend of mine's curse. There were few survivors, me being one of them... thuogh my parents weren't as lucky..." Shadow puts the dagger back into his vest, glaring at the stallion before him with no emotion upon his face.

"I lived on my own for about a year after the horrible destruction of my home before those creatures finally found me, ripping from my body the only thing I thought I could never lose, my soul." He took a momentary pause before he continued. "They blessed me with the curse of dark majik, the use of which will eventually consume my entire being over time." He takes a second to compose himself, the story obviously becoming harder to tell with time.

"I thought there was one pony who could cure me, to save me from myself so to say. I traveled to Canterlot and begged Celestia to help me, but that came with the price of joining her royal army." Another pause. "She never kept her promise." Shadow looked at the stallion, his eyes still clouded with tears. "There's my childhood kid, everything I loved lost in an instant and my very essence taken one year after. Let's... not get into my military career."

Midnight was, at the most, shocked. His story was indeed worse than his. Midnight only lost his parents and killed a couple of innocent colts. But Shadow, Shadow lost much more. How did he lose his soul anyway?

"I... I am sorry" said Midnight. "I never meant for you to relive such a tradegy. How long until your being is... consumed...? I might be able to help you... I know a lot of..." Sadness hit his voice once again, "Forebidden magic..."

Shadow bellowed in laughter. "There is no hope for me. Celestia herself told me so. Though some have tried... Like this one- Nevermind." Looking deep into Midnight's eyes, he started back on his story.

"You feel sorry? A few years after, I found out that one of my sisters had survived and was living in Manehatten. I went to meet her, but she was in allience with another rouge group sought after by Celestia's army. I spared her, but we had reports of a planned attack on the fair town of Ponyville from a spy we had in the system. I was appointed captain of the team that was to erradicate the rouges... Guess who had to kill their leader... and guess who was the leader..."

Midnight gasped, "Y-You...y-you had to k-kill....your s-sister...?!" Midnight stood in complete stun at what he heard. The remainder of his story was nowhere as sad as his. Midnight wanted to help him in some way, but he had no idea how. "You... You don't have to continue if its too painful."

"Other than a few encounters with stranger ponies than you and the daily killing of innocent guards a few years after Celestia betrayed my trust, I think you get the idea." Shadow stood still, looking at Midnight with a face that could cut steel. "I'm assuming you have got a bit more from your side that I should hear?"

Midnight gulped as he nodded. "Well... y-yes..." he replied. "After those three bullied me, like I mentioned before, two of them decided to kill me. I was cut, injured, and nearly died of the lack of blood. But, everything after that was a blur. But I remember it all." Midnight shuttered at the thoughts, "Blood gushing, flesh tearing, screams of pain, and I was the one causing it. When I snapped back into reality, two bloody corpses laid in front of me. The third bully escaped, only because he never tried to hurt me. I ran from home then, knowing I would be killed if I stayed." A singled tear fell from his eye, "Ever since then, I ran from place to place, trying to find a place to call home. I only stopped to eat or sleep a little."

"You mentioned that you had a special somepony, she won't let you stay with her?" Shadow asks, paying no regard to the story itself directly. "Or if you need a momentary place, I have an old war encampment nearby that you could call home for a few days. Hay, I'm not doing much except killing wondering guards anyways, maybe you could help me..." Shadow stares blankly at the ground. "I doubt it, but if not so, maybe I could help you."

"Oh no... she lets me stay. Its just that I have a house of my own too. I met her after I was allowed in Ponyville." Midnight gulped nervously at his offer, "Uh... I'm not much of a killing pony. My looks say otherwise, but I am not. Anything else you need help with?"

"Oh, you thought-" Shadow roared with laughter. "Silly, I wasn't asking you to help me kill guards, that I can do on my own. I meant, did you wanna help me with my soul or something with your magic or something." He sheathed his sword finally, taking off towards his camp. "If so, follow me. If not, then we shall meet again... soon..."

Midnight thought it over. He wanted to help Shadow, especially with his soul. Midnight trotted over to him, "I can help you with your soul, if that is okay with you."

"Heh..." Shadow gruffed. "If you wanna stick with me however, you're gonna need to toughen up a bit. I can't be responsible for you if we get in a fight."

Midnight looked at Shadow as he departed. "I can be tough! Its just that against something as scary as you, its tough to be brave..." Midnight laughed nervously. "I mean, I did risk to get that beast from that mare didn't I?"

"Listen, a beast like that comes normal around these parts." Shadow states, brushing through a few bushes. "And you risked your life to save a decoy. Being brave is one thing, but being smart is another." The moon beamed as they came to a clearing. "Besides, I wouldn't hurt something as defenseless as you. I may not have a soul, but I still feel."

Midnight felt proud and yet stupid at the same time. "I... I really never thought of it that way," he said. "I mean, usually I always think things through, but then I just... for some reason jumped." Midnight felt embarrased. "You are very wise Shadow... and I know that even without a soul,you would at least keep some form of honor. If I was royalty, I would assign you as the captain of the guards."

Shadow didn't want to take offense to this, but he couldn't help but grunt at the mention of his posistion. "Thanks..." he said with a low growl. Eventually, the two finally reached an opening, there before them a small encampment with few tent, all with the insignia of the Solar Empire. "I'll be sleeping out under the stars and keeping guard. You can help yourself to my tent." Shadow states, gathering a few pre-cut logs and placing them into a firepit. "Or... you could stay up and talk about how you plan to help me... but it's up to you..."

Midnight noticed Shadow's anger towards what he said. Maybe mentioning a guard wasn't the best of words he could have used. He saw that the tent could be cozy, but he honestly was not tired. "I am fine at the moment, I usually always had to run during the night" he said. "And, the stars are beautiful tonight. I think I might as well enjoy them." Midnight laid down by the evergrowing fire as he looked to the skies. "You know Shadow, so far the spells I managed to study actually provided some help more than disaster. I might be able to help you get back your soul or even heal your body in general."

"You have confidence, and that's rare in many ponies today..." Shadow said as he stared at the fire. "Kid, I can see that you're fragile, so I'm going to have to tell you something. If we ever encounter a fight that become too much for either of us to handle, look away..." Shadow pulled his dagger from his vest again. "I wouldn't... want to scar you..."

Midnight turned to Shadown with some shock. "Shadow... I have killed two ponies before my eyes, watched my parents get killed, and even watched my daughter die a slow and painful death" he said. "But, I will take your word for it. I will look away." Midnight continued watching the stars. "So...while we are still on the subject on fighting... how did you get so good with that sword?"

Midnight looked at Shadow a bit, "This may sound kind of crazy, and don't take this the wrong way, but do you hate Celestia? Don't get any ideas! It's just that, you seem to hate being a guard."

Shadow glared at Midnight. "I'm a former captain yes, and me and Celestia ALONG with Luna aren't on the best terms, but I was promised a cure for my lost soul if I did her bidding. She made me a captain, I obeyed, and weeks after the incident with my sister, she told me there was nothing she could do." Shadow then looked back into the fire.

"Ever since, I've been living at my old encampment here and killing any wondering guards. I'm currently one of the most wanted in Canterlot, which is my favourite place to visit on vacations!" Shadow states with sarcastic enthusiasm. "But seriously, if you're ever captured, I would deny knowing me." Shadow states with a grin.

"If I ever get captured, and they asked where you were to be freed, I would rather go to prison." Midnight said with courage. "You have proven to be that you are good, despite a few things. So, I would never rat you out to save my own flank. That, you can count on Shadow."

This was new to Shadow. 'Good...' The word itself rang through his mind, like a constant annoying fly. "You think... I'm good?" Shadow shook his head, glaring back into the fire. "Heh, glad you would say that, but prison? No, I think they would prefer the torture meathod rather than wait for an answer about me," he chuckled as he turned back to Midnight. "Tell me, how many innocents do you think a good stallion like myself has killed?"

Midnight pondered at the question. "Well, you seem very noble... meaning you would have killed none." started Midnight. "But, after what you have told me before... you at least regreted killing a few, and those could be considered. So, I would say maybe less then ten... at the most..."

Shadow laughed harder than he had in a long time. "Sorry, but ten? TEN!?" Shadow chuckled once more. "I appreciate the gesture, but let's leave it at over fifty, OK?" he said, staring at the stars. "Keeping control in a fight was hard that night in Canterlot. I'm surprised there WAS survivors at the Gala that year." Shadow started, his words trailing off into memories with a grin plastered on his face.

Midnight was surprised by the number. "Well then...remind me not to invite you to the Gala..." Midnight joked half-heartingly. He stared up at the stars. "I wonder how my family is doing... well, what's left of it that is..."

"Seems you do have a sense of humor." Shadow stated with a smile, a bit more respect for the pony. "Tell me about that, your family. I mean if you don't mind. I've heard a lot of tales in my time, but I love to add another to the collection." Shadow asked, his attention now focused on Midnight.

Midnight looked into the flame. "Well, after watching my parents die before my eyes, I never believed I had anypony else," he said. "But, that was before I met my brother. His name is Color Burst, and I think he's about your age. He left shortly after I was born. He works as a fireworks and grand finale expert for carnivals and festivals than such. He has a wife, Misty Fog, and a son named Easel. From what I heard, Misty Fog is apparently a model, and she does look rather dashing... and Easel, he's a natural born artist. But I think I have a family growing on my own."

"Remember when I mentioned my daughter? Well you're probably thinking I'm too young. But, she is technically not my daughter. She was created by a spell. I think I nearly dragged my girlfriend into being her 'mother.'" Midnight sighed, "But, things are going great now. Oracle is warming up to her, Cirria is getting better at her magic, and I am finally reunited with my brother. Life is good so far."

Shadow looked to the ground, a little disheartened. "At... least you have somepony..." He quickly snapped from his trance, thinking of a few words to say. "Sorry to hear about your parents, and about your girlfriend and daughter, take care of them." Shadow stood up and started off into the woods. "I'm going on patrol, so make yourself comfortable. I'll return in a few minutes."

Midnight looked at Shadow as he left. Something he said, yet again, set this pony off. Midnight felt more guilty than ever. He stood up, his spike glowing as he did. The magic cast over Shadow, bringing him closer to the tent. "No, you have been on patrol for too long now," he said. "I'll go, you stay here. I may be fragile like you said, but I know when to help others despite what I am."

Shadow took a nice feeling towards his bravery for first off, daring to cast magic on him, and secondly offering to patrol his dangerous woods. "Again, I appreciate the gesture, but you don't know where the traps are set around here. I'd hate for you to step on one of my explosives." Shadow waved his hoof, disbanning the magical aura holding him. "Besides, it's routine..." Shadow started off once more, his smile never fading from earlier. "Be back in a few..."

Midnight was about to protest, but Shadow made some valid points. What would Oracle say when he's missing one leg? 'I was visiting a friend?' Midnight smiled, "Of course, take your time." He stuck his main spike into the ground, it glowing with black energy for a few seconds before he raised it. "When you come back, I will introduce you to somepony." Midnight spread his wings and began to take off, "I used a tracker spell, so I can tell where this is even if I get lost."

Shadow watched as his new friend took flight. "I'll be sure to not keep ya waiting, and be careful, I don't wanna have to come and find your sorry flank" The stallion joked, observing his tree markings. Shadow suddenly dashed off, his speed almost as though he had just disappeared.

It took about a few minutes for Midnight to go where he planned to go. And it only took him a bit longer to use the spell to find this place. "Hello? Shadow?" he asked.

"In here!" Shadow exclaimed, stumbling out of his tent. "I was just writing in my journal. What's up?"

Midnight nodded. "Shadow, there is somepony that I believe you should be introduced to." Midnight side stepped as a new figure entered the clearing. The pony was a small female filly. Half of her coat was black while the back half was gray. Her mane was fluffy like a cloud near the top that straightened and smoothed out when it went down. Her eyes were completely white as a small yellow pupil filled the white void. A black horn protruded from her mane and tow small wings stayed by her side. The mark on her flank was a sun covered by a cloud with a tornado underneath. Her tail shined with all seven colors of the rainbow. "Shadow, I would like you to meet my daughter, Cirria."

Shadow stood there, his mind in awe. "You... brought your daughter..." It seemed as though a tear was about to stream from his eye. "I..." Shadow stammered. "I... I..." He couldn't think of what to say. A nearly complete stranger who knew most of his past wanted him, an old murderous retired captain, to meet his young filly daughter. Shadow bent down to her level, looking deep into her eyes. "Hey," he started. "My name's Shadow. Nice to meetcha."

She slowly backed up, but Midnight's wing prevented her from going far. She looked up at her father, who gave a reassuring smile and nod to her. Cirria, with newfound courage, slowly walked back to her original stance. "Hello..." she said in a sweet voice, "My name is Cirria."

Shadow was almost as excited as though he was a young colt getting a gift on Hearths Warming Eve. "You have a nice daughter Midnight." Shadow said, looking up at the other stallion with a smile before returning his attention back towards the young filly. "You're awfully brave to be out here aren't ya?" The filly gave a gleeful nod. "It's because you're with your dad huh?" Cirria gave another innocent nod. "How old are you?"

Cirria smiled at how nice the stallion was. "Well... Daddy says I am not even a year old, but have the body and mind of a six year old. But I think I am smarter than that, I love to read books!"

Midnight chuckled, "Remember when I said my daughter was created by a spell? Well, this is her. An accident at the Weather Institute created a massive storm made of several weather abnormalties. When I used a spell to destroy it, Cirria was created. Although she was create by magic." Midnight nuzzled his daughter. "She's my daughter no matter what. And thanks to Princess Celestia, no pony can undo this little magic trick ever again."

Shadow had the biggest grin on his face that he had ever had. "You have a magnificent father Cirria, don't you forget that." There was a sudden pause before a thought suddenly crossed his mind. His smile slowly came back to his normal look. Shadow looked at the two. Even this stallion had a family. Looking to the stars, Shadow felt a long lost feeling wash over him.

"What I wouldn't give." he softly spoke, his mind once more trailing off into thought. His mood was a bit lighter as he spoke to the two who were happy as could be. "It was nice meeting you Cirria. Take care of yourself..." With the remark, Shadow turned and stepped into his tent, leaving the two outside in the dark.

Cirria and Midnight watched as Shadow changed emotions almost suddenly. Midnight recognized that look, he was longing for something. And once again, Midnight only blamed himself. Bringing the filly was probably not the best idea. Shadow probably had no family, no love life, and possibly no children.

Cirria, on the other hand, hated to see ponies like this. She wanted to do something special for this stallion, even though she only knew him for a few minutes.

Very quickly, her horn glowed a gray shade as her front hooves glistened in blue. Midnight looked over her shoulder, and smiled at what she was doing. Very quickly, Cirria ran into the small tent with her horn still glowing. "Mr. Shadow!" she said formally, "I want to give you this." Shadow turned as an object floated into his hooves. The item was like his cutie mark, only it was formed in ice and shaped exactly. "I used a certain spell so that the ice won't melt. It will still crack, but I'm not that skilled with magic. I hope you find a certain special somepony."

Shadow couldn't understand this young filly, but at that particular moment, he didn't care. The smile returned to his face, the feeling still there, but he was able to supress it, for the Cirria's sake. "It's beautiful... Thank you..." Shadow said, his voice a bit dry as he pat the little filly's head and tusseled her mane. This stallion he just met was trying to help, this he was sure of, but it was still pointless. Shadow was still without a soul, still without anypony to call his own, and still alone in understanding.

A sudden cheerfulness overtook Shadow, reaching into his vest and pulling out a hoof made pouch, the designs of which were elegantly embroided as it depicted several lilly flowers and a humming bird. "I want you to keep this for me alright? This... was my sister's... and I think you'd take better care of it than I would," Shadow says with a grin, placing the pouch into her hooves and clasping both of his over hers as he looked into her eyes.

"Don't lose it, ok?" Shadow looked up towards Midnight as he peeked his head into the tent. The stallion figured that he should repay him for his kindness. "Don't think I don't have something for you too." Shadow said with glee as he pulled out his dagger. "It was my father's, and I've forged the steel on several occasions. It's guarenteed not to break... and I want you to have it..." Shadow says as he placed the weapon into his friends hoof. His father always carried two, so he had one more in his oldened chest in the corner. "I'd rather you two have these momentos, considering that if I kept them, they'd eventually go to waste."

Cirria gasped at the small pouch. It looked simple, but to her it was beautiful. Cirria slung it around her neck and quickly hugged Shadow. "Thank you!" she said with glee. "I promise to never lose it!"

Midnight was stunned. A hoof made dagger forged by his father and guarenteed not to break, and he was giving it to him? Midnight said nothing as he grasped it. The cool metal was indefinitely strong as he stroked it with his claw. "I...I couldn't take this." Midnight said. "This must mean a lot to you, but I know now its better to accept this. Thank you, I will treasure it." Midnight levitated a dark colored book in front if him and began to turn the pages, "Now Shadow, I think I believe I need to help you. However to fix your problem, I need to know exactly how you lost your soul..."

Shadow seemed a bit shocked. "I don't think the story would be best told around fillies." he said, glaceing over to Cirria. "I'll tell you the details tomorrow." Shadow walked over Cirria, getting back down to her level as he spoke. "That pouch has fifty bits inside. Spend them wisely." Shadow didn't have use for money. Most of his supplies came from the constant raids on nearby farms anyways.

Cirria smiled, "Thank you mister!" She turned to Midnight, "Daddy... don't you think we should go back?"

Midnight turned to Shadow first, "Indeed, I will see you again. But right now, I need to return my daughter back home. I will see you sooner than you think." With that, Midnight and Cirria flew off with their new gifts. The filly waved her hoof one last time before leaving.

As the stallion watched the two leave, he had to sit and wonder to himself. After staring into the fire for what seemed like forever, he was finally able to bring himself to say something about the matter. "That certainly was... something..." Shadow states before he returns to his tent. Laying there, he really does wonder if his new friend would return, considering all of his are gone, or dead. He finally rested, the thought of tomorrow and repeating the same routine he has for years somewhat calming to him. This was the last he actually ever seen of those two. He never met them again, but never could he forget such a peculiar pony either...