• Published 24th Sep 2020
  • 2,351 Views, 42 Comments

MLP-Twilight's Journey - Tigerarrow



Twilight was known by many names. Celestia’s other student. Prodigy, powerhouse, unstable, crazy and in the darkest of shadows Monster. The lavender filly cared for none of it. She simply wanted to be left alone, but destiny has come calling...

  • ...
4
 42
 2,351

Grumpy Unicorn

“Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night.

Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn.

The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony.

Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since..”

“…But Nightmare moon could not be stopped forever and on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape and she will bring about nighttime eternal. Hmm.” Twilight Sparkle hummed quietly to herself as she closed the book of prophesies.

The fourteen-year-old tapped her chin wondering where she had heard the story before. She had only picked the book up because she didn’t remember having read it before, though she now wondered if she had wasted her time. The mare in the moon was just an old pony’s tale used to frighten foals on nightmare night. Everypony knew that Celestia had no sister, she had always raised the Sun and Moon by herself and the elements of harmony were simply an overinflated myth.

She snorted shaking her head. Nightmare Moon, really. She rolled her eyes. A story book character suddenly coming to life and returning after a thousand years. This could only mean one thing….

“We’re all going to die.” She deadpanned tossing the book over her shoulder.

“Die!” a tiny voice squeaked as a small purple and green dragon shot up from his resting place at her side. The four-year-old gripped at her fur pulling himself onto her back.

“I don’t want to die Twilight!”

“Oh, it won’t be that bad.” The purple unicorn snorted trotting over to the bookshelf to find a new book. “I mean you’re a dragon so you can probably go live in the center of the world or something and eat lava rocks or whatever while we all freeze to death.” She explained sounding remarkably unconcerned with the certainty of her own death.

“Twilight!” Spike whined tugging at her mane, “We have to do something I don’t want to live off lava rocks! They taste salty!” Twilight rolled her eyes shaking her head to dislodge the parasite.

“Oh don’t be such a drama queen brat. Eternal night doesn’t even sound that bad.”

She pulled out a few of her favorite astronomy books, humming as she flipped through the pages. “I can get some nice star gazing done, cake flank can get taken down a peg or two ha and—” She twirled around smirking victoriously.

“With all the stupid ponies fighting over who gets to kiss our new queen’s flank first no one will bother me. No more seeing their annoying faces.” She stroked her chin and nodded firmly to herself.

“This nighttime thing might not be all that bad. Maybe I should help. Think she’ll be looking for an underage librarian.”

“Twilight!” Spike cried looking like he was about to burst into tears. She rolled her eyes.

“Alright, alright whatever. Do you have a plan for fixing this?” She asked not in the mood to listen to his whining if she continued to refuse to help in preventing their untimely deaths. Spike smiled wiping his eyes, happy she was now taking this seriously.

“Of course!” he beamed running to pick up a piece of parchment and a quill.
“We just got to send a letter to the princess! I bet she’ll know what to do.”

Twilight simply grunted refraining from telling him that it was her sister that she banished in the first place, so sunbutt most likely already knew the exact day baby sis would be coming home.

Then again this was cake-flank so she might have forgotten with all the rocks in her head.

Now that she thought about it if Celestia had somehow forgotten that the sister, she had banished to the moon was coming back for revenge she was a pretty crappy sister so maybe Nightmare moon had the right idea to try and dethrone her.

Deciding those problems would be best left to someone who cared Twilight turned her thoughts to more important things. Namely the slight problem of who would be sending the scroll.

Twilight’s ears flatten before she shook her head face settling back into a familiar scowl. Even if she did send a message there was no way Celestia would believe her problem student about a threat to Equestria.

She would more than likely see it as a stupid prank and give her a long lecture about respect and false reports that Twilight would happily ignore.

Milling over this hiccup in her plan, technically it was Spike’s plan but seeing as she basically owned him all his great plans were her greats plan. At least until they failed then they were his and she completely blamed him, her though process was forcefully interrupted when the door to her tower suddenly slammed open, an light blue colored unicorn trotting in with a haughty toss of her mane.

“The great and powerful Trixie demand for you to vacate this space as her mentor Princess Celestia has assigned her a book report.” Trixie scoffed looking down her nose at the smaller pony. Spike squeaked hiding behind the purple unicorn as she glared.

“Why are you even here you fake clown? If you’re doing a book report, there a thing called a library.” Twilight sneered, tail lashing. Trixie eyes shot fire at her most hated nickname but then she smirked, flipping her mane.

“Well egghead unlike you the great and powerful Trixie actually has a life and a reputation to think of and the last thing I need is somepony seeing me reading about..” she shuddered “History,”

She flipped her mane again, pointedly looking around the large room filled from top to bottom with books. “but as you have no life or friends and are an isolated little freak on top of that. Trixie figured this would be the perfect place to get this done and over with.”

Twilight growled opening her mouth to tell the other unicorn where she could shove her idea when a light bub went off in her head. She smiled slyly gathering up a few items in her magic before grabbing Spike by the tail and carrying him out.

“Sure Trixe its allll your..” she singsonged mind racing. Celestia may not listen to her but there was no way she would dismiss her Faithful student’s words. She snickered quietly, plans forming quickly in her mind. If she was lucky Trixie would bully her way to the frontlines, there was no way the arrogant unicorn would pass up the chance to face an alicorn and prove herself better, and if the stars were really on her side maybe Nightmare Moon could banish her to an asteroid or something. Maybe even the sun. Remarkably more cheered she whistled happily as she set off to forge a letter.

“I hate you.”

Twilight was fuming. Everything was going so perfectly and of course Fat Flank had to go and ruin it! She’d sent the fake Trixie letter to Celestia with all her finding and when the response had come back so quickly, she was sure the rock headed princess had grown a brain for once and mobilizes the military or something but no! This idiot tells her student to stop reading dusty old books and to go over see the Summer Sun celebration in Ponyville. And what was worse she ordered her to take Twilight with her!

Of course the purple unicorn had no desire to be anywhere near ground zero and had took off running. Sadly, after a lengthy chase through the castle it all ended with the pout worthy predicament, she found herself in now. Namely being carried by the tail toward a scowling Trixie by Cake flank herself. Stopping at the edge of the chariot Celestia set Twilight down before picking her up by the scruff of the neck and placing her next to Trixie. She beamed at her students, ignoring Twilight’s murderous glare with well-practiced ease.

“Now my faithful students off you go. Trixie I’ll expect you’ll have everything well in hoof. Twilight listen to Trixie and at least try to behave yourself.” She nuzzled both unicorns, placing a kiss on Spike’s nose.

Twilight simply scowled curling into a ball facing away from her while Trixie sulked. The spoiled unicorn had argued fiercely against going to some “backwater town” not wanting to leave the shining capitol but had eventually grudgingly surrendered to her mentor. Celestia smiled softly nuzzling her eldest.

“I know this isn’t what you wanted Trixie but try to have fun.” She bopped her nose affectionately “and make some friends.”

The arrogant unicorn tsked and looked away, Twilight simply brooding as the chariot took to the sky. Waving cheerfully as the chariot took off, Celestia waited till she could no longer see them before letting the smile drop, her eyes growing sad.

“This is it. It’s up to you now Trixie.” Snow white ears fell, her head dipped with a deep sigh.

One student. One last chance, no time to train another. Nightmare Moon would be returning in a few short hours and that was it. If Trixie didn’t make friends, if she didn’t awaken the Elements of Harmony then-

Tia!

Purple eyes squeezed shut and her breath hitched as she fought back a sadness a thousand years strong. No more waiting, no more planning, no more time. One last chance, one last hope. She couldn’t fight Luna, wouldn’t and if this didn’t work, if her sister couldn’t be saved, there would be nothing left. No reason to stay, no reason to liv- Stop. Deep breath. Choose to hope. A vison of glaring little unicorn flashed across her memory and she winced. Mostly she just hoped Twilight would stay out of the way.

“ok listen here shorty cause I’m only going to say this once.” Trixie snapped glaring at the purple filly as the chariot pulled into Ponyville square. Digging into her saddle bag she pulled out a long scroll shoving it into Twilight’s chest.

“I have no desire to hang out or “make friends” with any of these inbred losers. So you’re going to take care of whatever it is that Celestia wants done while I am going to hopefully find some alcohol that doesn’t taste like piss around here and forget I was ever banished to this place.” The older unicorn sneered turning and stomping away, Twilight jerking back in time to barely avoid being slapped in the face by her lashing tail.
She glared after her tossing the scroll to the ground in disgust.

“Well this is about as fun as a kick in the teeth.” She sneered leaning down to groom her chest like the scroll had cooties. Shaking out her fur she stood and stretched.

“Come on Spike lets go find that library we’re staying at.” She bends down grabbing him by the tail to carry him away.

“Wait!” the little dragon yelped scrambling to grab the scroll before he was lifted into the air. He waved it in her face.

“We’re already here and Trixie not going to do it so why don’t we check on the preparations.” He widens his eyes, and trembled his lip attempting to spear her heart with his soulful gaze.

“Yeah no.” The worst pony in the world deadpanned dropping him on his head. He yelped but being a dragon he wasn’t really hurt.

“Aww come on Twilight.” He whined rubbing his head. “Trixie bailed and we can pick up the slack and make the princess proud of us for once.” He implored.

Twilight rolled her eyes. The only way cake flank would ever be proud of her was if she could go two seconds without something exploding. Her nose twitched and she sneezed, a stray bolt of magic from her horn hitting a random house and causing it to burst into flames. She winced slightly as ponies started panicking a dark green mare’s screams of “MY HOUSE!” echoed in her ear.

Well so much for that.

Deciding it wasn’t her problem she turned back to her whelp, narrowing her eyes. “Weren’t you just panicking about the whole enteral night- thing.” She grouched sarcastically. “You know returning alicorn? Impending doom? That ring a bell?”

Spike waved away her protest. “No way Princess Celestia said it was just an old story so it’s all good.”

Twilight rolled her eyes but decided not to push it. Personally, she was of the mindset that watching the world burn would be great fun, so it didn’t really matter to her either way.

“Come on Twilight even if we don’t do the celebration stuff I thought we could well..” he scraped his foot across the ground giving her a sheepish smile
.
“I thought we could maybe you know…make some friends.” he asked nervously, giving her a wobbly grin.

Twilight glare immediately hardened, lips curling back into a sneer. “Seriously, friends! That what you’re going on about what have I taught you about friends?”

“Other ponies are worthless idiots who aren’t worth our time, energy and barely the air they breathe.” The baby dragon dolefully repeated the unicorn’s most frequent teaching. He clenched his fist biting a trembling lower lip before looking up at her with all the courage he could muster.

“I know, I know but I really want to try please.” Twilight gave him a look a war waging in her heart before finally she rolled her eyes and grunted. “Fine.”

Spike squealed and pumped his fist. “yes!” he cheered. Griping her fur he pulled her toward an approaching pink filly who had come up to see about all the noise.

“Well go on.” He pressed pushing her forward. Twilight huffed giving the filly an unimpressed scowl. “Hi” she deadpanned with all the warm of a blizzard.

The larger filly stared at her with wide eyes before jumping into the air with a startled gasp and flying off. As in, she really flew. Like seriously, Twilight was sure her hooves didn’t even touch the ground. They both blinked after her.

“Nope.” She declared putting the whole thing out of her mind. Tossing Spike on to her back she pulled the scroll out and unrolled it in front of her.

“Alright first thing food. That would be Sweet Apple Acres.” She read trotting out of town.

Finding the farm was easy enough and the two of them walked through the gates searching for somepony in charge. Hearing a fierce yell her ears perked up and she turned to see an orange filly who looked to be a year or two older than her running toward an apple tree. At the last second, she stopped spun and bucked, hooves hitting the trunk with a hard thump, apples falling perfectly into the waiting baskets. The filly snorted with satisfaction and Twilight rolled her eyes at the sight.

“Meathead.” She grumbled shifting her hooves.

Seeing the tiny signs of the unicorn desire to bolt Spike gave her a pleading look and she groaned head and tail lowered like a mare being led to her execution.

“Fine, let’s get this over with.”

Walking toward the other filly she cleared her throat to catch her attention.

“Hi.” She said. “My name is Twilight Sparkle and I’m here to oversee the stuff for the summer sun- “

“Well howdy there sugarcube I’m Applejack. “the orange filly interrupted wiping the sweat off her brow with a bright grin. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Twilight. We here at Sweet Apple Acres sure love to make new friends!” she reached out and to grab her hoof in an overenthusiasm shake but Twilight smoothly side stepped, slapping the offending hoof away.

“Yeah no.” she said pulling back a step. “Look the palace send me to oversee the summer sun whatever and you’re doing the food right.”

Applejack frowned at the rudeness but soon found her smile again, chest puffing out in pride. “Sure as shootin sugercube, just let me introduce you to the family.”

She took a deep breath. Twilight backed up shaking her head. “No its fine I just need to know--”

“MA! PA! WE GOT COMPANY FROM THE PALACE!”

Applejack thundered ignoring the younger filly’s protest. Twilight grit her teeth hoof slamming into her face as Spike snickered behind her. She glared at him, bouncing her shoulder to jolt him around in revenge. The little dragon was pleading for mercy when two adult earth ponies came trotting up.

One was a large yellow stallion with a red mane while the other was a peach colored mare with a thick curly brown mane. She walked with a noticeable limp.

“AJ who’s your friend baby girl?” Pear Butter asked nuzzling her daughter. Applejack beamed up at her parents throwing a hoof around the smaller filly’s neck, ignoring the way she stiffened.

“This is my friend Twilight. She’s here to check up on the food for the celebration.” Twilight growled slapping her hoof away and stepping out of reach.

“I’m not your friend.” She snarled shaking her fur to get rid of the sickening feeling of touch. She backed up a few more steps.

“Look you obviously got everything well in hoof so I’m just going to—" she turned, tried to walk away but soon found her way blocked by the large stallion.

“Whoa there little filly what’s the rush. “he gave her a friendly smile, lowering his head to seem less threatening” Don’t you want to sample some of the food.”

Twilight shrank back, ears folding back before she forced them straight again. “Uh no thanks I got stuff to do and—”

Her denial was cut off by Spike’s stomach releasing a fierce growl. The baby dragon chuckled sheepishly when she shot him a glare. The purple filly grunted slapping the infant with her mane before mumbling.

“Fine as long as it doesn’t take too long.” She groused. Needing nothing more than a word Applejack disappeared grabbing a metal spoon and ringing a large bell vigorously.

SOUPS ON EVERYPONY!”

Twilight flinched as the ground began to shake, pulling in on herself as a large herd of ponies came stampeding toward them. Before she could blink, she was seated at a low sitting table and surrounded by grinning ponies. Applejack smoothly appeared beside her.

“Let me introduce you to the Apple family.” She grinned. “You’ve already met my Ma and Pa Bright Macintosh and Pear Butter—”

“How can you be a apple family with a pear in the group.” Twilight grumbled but Applejack ignored her and kept going like she hadn’t spoken. “Apple Fritter, Apple Bumpkin, Red Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Caramel Apple, Apple Strudel—“

Twilight toned out all the names that she didn’t care to remember, the unicorn filly much more interested in the large amount of food that threated to break the little table in two. She tuned back in just as Applejack took a deep breath.

“Big Macintosh, Applebloom annnnd” she drew out the last word as she pointed out a lightly snoring old green mare. “Granny smith. Up and at em granny we got guests.”

The ancient pony snorted awake mumbling quietly to herself as she wandered over. Applejack grinned finally succeeding in wrapping her hoof around the small unicorn.

“This here Twilight sparkle ya’ll and I’d say she’s already part of the family.” Twilight bristled, shaking herself loose with a snort. “Yeah no so look the foods is all good so I’m just going to go…”

“Aren’t you going to stay for brunch.” A tiny, trembling voice asked.

“Don’t look down, don’t look down. don’t look down.” she chanted but it was no use. She looked down straight into the large soulful eyes of a tiny yellow filly.

As a rule, Twilight hated all of ponykind and everyone else in the world, but she had a large weak spot for foals and any other baby creature.

“I’m..sorry but I have a lot to do still.” She forced out valiantly trying to resist.

“Awww.” The foal sighed turning upon her a look so heartbroken and sad Twilight was sure her heart had frozen in her chest. She was dimly aware of the adults echoing the sound but all she could see was the large teary eyes and a wobbly lip.

“Fine.” she moaned knowing she was beat. The Apple family cheered hurriedly dragging the purple filly off before she could change her mind.


“That was fun Twilight! We should visit them again latter.” Spike chirped totting along behind her as he licked a caramel apple.

Twilight only groaned holding a hoof up to her mouth lest she lose her lunch..agian.

“Ugh what do we got to do now.” She grunted holding up the list. She read over it quickly muttering to herself.

“weather team blah, blah, blah sunny sky blah, blah, blah Thunderlane ok.” She said tossing the list back into her saddle bag.

She looked up at the sky seeing the big blue still filled with clouds and scowled.

“Apparently somepony named Thunderlane is supposed to be clearing the sky though it looks like he’s—ofg” Twilight yelped as she was suddenly slammed into the mud by a flying blue bur. Landing in a tangle of hooves her attacker stood up revealing herself to be a young rainbow maned filly.

“ops sorry.” The large blue idiot chuckled not sounding sorry at all.

“Get off!” Twilight yelled bucking the other pony in the stomach. The rainbow filly grunted clutching her stomach from the hit as she fell back into the mud.

“Hey what the hay was that for!” she yelled angrily as she gingerly pulled herself to her feet. “Who the heck goes around bucking ponies for no reason!”

“The same pony who’s too stupid to watch where she’s flying!” Twilight yelled back shaking her fur to remove all the mud. She grimaced as a wet strand of mane slapped her in the face, glaring at the other filly before taking a deep breath.

“Look are you Thunderlane?” she asked using magic to try to squeeze the mud out of her mane. Rainbow snorted pulled out of her annoyance by the misunderstanding.

“That geek, please. I’m Rainbow Dash fastest flyer in Equestria! And you must be new if you don’t know who I am!” she bragged shooting up in the air. Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Whatever I’m here to oversee the summer sun thing and he’s supposed to be clearing the sky.” She said dully already done with this conversation. Rainbow blinked then waved a hoof airily floating on her back.

“Oh, that yeah he was supposed to clear the clouds but he got super hammered last night celebrating his new marefriend.” She reached up and dug into her mane pulling out a jiggling bag of bits with a wide grin.

“Paid me twenty bits to make sure the boss mare doesn’t find out he’s home with a hangover.” She snickered. Twilight groaned and rubbed her temple already feeling a headache coming on. “Ok so why haven’t you got it done then.” She asked trying to brace herself for the stupid she was sure was going to come out of her mouth. Rainbow Dash waved her away lazily.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah I’ll get to it in a second once I finish practicing.”

“Practicing for what?” Spike asked peeking out from behind Twilight’s leg. Rainbow’s eyes lit up and she zipped into the air.

“The Wonderbolts! They’re going to be flying at tomorrow celebration and I’m gonna show em my stuff.” Twilight face twisted in confusion and she flicked her ears.

“The who?”

Rainbow gasped falling out of the air as she turned to her with wide disbelieving eyes. “You don’t know who the Wonderbolts are! Have you been living under a rock!” she cried shooting back into the sky.

“The Wonderbolt are only the most amazing, most famous the most amasomest flyer in all of Equestria!” she breathed staring at a magically appearing poster with two parts worship and three parts creepy.

“and once they see my performance, I’m going to join them.” She finished cockily.

Twilight snorted out a laugh. “Please if they’re so amazing no way would the want a lazy Pegasus who can’t even keep the sky clear for a day.” She jeered.

Rainbow pulled up short flying down to glare at the small filly angrily. “Say what! Who you callin lazy! I can clear this sky in ten seconds flat easy.” She snorted. Twilight smirked arrogantly narrowing her eyes.

“Prove it.”

Rainbow started but never one to back down from a challenge she leapt into the air, zipping and diving as she busted cloud after cloud.

Bursting through the last one she landed with seconds to spare striking a pose. “See ten seconds flat I’d never leave Ponyville hangin.” She boasted.

“Uh uh.” The little unicorn muttered already wandering away now that her objective was complete.

“Yeah, great whatever weather now done by Rainy trash.” She muttered checking it off the list before tossing the gawking Spike onto her back.

“It’s Rainbow Dash!’ the offended filly yelled but Twilight only flicked her tail and continued her way without a backward glance.



“Alright next are decoration.” Twilight muttered heading into the main hall, Spike struggling to keep up on his wobbly legs. Twilight having thrown him off for no other reason than she felt like it.

“Keep a look out for a mare named Twisted Design she’s supposed to have this in hoof.” She said looking around.

The hall was lavishly decorated. The bright white and golds of the sun monarch colors were on full display and Twilight had to admit it looked good.

“Pretty.” Spike breathed in a small voice and Twilight nodded absently.

“Yeah its pretty nice.” She agreed but Spike shook his head pointing at white unicorn filly a little way away.

“No, her.” Twilight followed his pointing claws rolling her eyes when she caught sight of the other young mare. “down boy.” She muttered fondly before grabbing his tail and tossing him onto her back.

“Hey!” she yelled trotting closer. “My name is Twilight Sp-“

“Just a moment darling. I am in the zone as it were.” The other unicorn interrupted adjusting a bow on the ceiling till it was just right. Giving a snort of satisfaction she turned to face them.

“Now how can I help yooooou! Sweet Celestia what happen to your mane!” she recoiled in horror at the wet tangled heap on Twilights head before gasping again as she spotted the mud-spattered coat. “And your fur! Darling you look simply awful!”

Spike giggled cheekily and Twilight glared at him shoving the little dragon onto the floor and ignoring his pained yelp. She tossed her mane groaning in annoyance as it slapped wetly against her face.

“Whatever look I’m just here to-“

“Please darling say no more. I know exactly what you need. Now if you’d just come with me back to the boutique…” Rarity said circling around and nudging her slightly in the flank. Twilight jumped spinning around quickly with her tail tucked between her legs.

“Hey where do you think your touching!” She growled horn sparkling. Rarity took a step back looking surprised.

“oh really forgive me darling I was only..” “

Being a pervert.” Twilight deadpanned ears back. The white unicorn turned red but Twilight pushed forward in order to get the meeting over with.

“Look are you Twisted Design my name’s Twilight and I’m here to look over the summer sun stuff.” Rarity shook her head still looking a little embarrassed.
“Huh oh uh no darling. My name is Rarity I’m his apprentice. Twisted got inspired to go on a design journey to look for a new muse last minute so I’ve taken over till he comes back.”

Twilight groaned head dropping, “You know what whatever I don’t even care anymore.” She turned away gripping Spike’s tail to drag him along. “Your decoration looks good, fine whatever bye.’ She grunted quickly trotting out before the white filly could say anything else.

“she was so nice.” Spike cooed smiling goofily. Twilight just dropped him on his head.

“ok last is the music.” Twilight grumped marching through town. She was sooo done with this. She had been touched, nuzzled and spoken to more ponies today than she had in the last year and she was done. She didn’t care if cake butt hated her forever. She just wanted to go back to her tower and curl up with a good book.

“Cheer up Twilight just one more and we’ll be done!” Spike said cheerfully, bouncing along behind her. The unicorn only grunted scanning the crowd with narrow eyes. According to the paper she was looking for two mares named Octavia and Vinyl Scratch who were supposed to oversee music.

“Lets just get this over with.” She said moving toward a music shop she spotted. Her ears flicked when she saw the darken windows, her heart dropping when she saw a tiny slip of paper fluttering in the wind.

“oh come on!

She glared daggers at the happy little note which read

Last minute business be back soon!

And the smaller text below which sent her temper flaring.

If your looking for information about the Summer Sun celebration music find Fluttershy”

She groaned slamming her head against the door. “You have got to be kidding me.” She snorted harshly, tail lashing before spinning on her heels and marching off.

“Screw this I’m going to find a book and hide under a rock or something till the world burns.” She grumbled.

“Wait Twilight!” Spike struggled to catch up, grabbing her tail in a futile attempt to stop her. “We only have one more! We can’t give up at the end!”

“Watch me.” She said without looking back.

Spike dug his heels in desperately, but it didn’t slow the unicorn for a second, so he started begging.

“Please Twilight this is our big chance! We’re doing the job she gave to Trixie. Trixie! Her favorite student and there only been one fire! That’s a new record! No police or lawsuit or angry mobs we can do this! And if we do well maybe..” his words slow as the unicorn came to a complete stop, then soften to a whisper.

“Maybe she’ll want to spend time with us.” Twilight’s eyes squeezed shut, ears falling back to block out the words.

“Maybe she won’t look at you like you’re a disappointment.”

She clenched her teeth, tail lashing as her mane fell over her face. She knew she wasn’t the best student. Oh, she was powerful a thousand times more powerful than Trixie would ever be and her power was still growing but she was also a ticking time bomb.

Four years since the princess had taken her on as a student and she was barely passed kindergarten level work. She was too unstable, too emotional, her magic fluctuating violently at the drop of a hat and often going out of control. She was the reason there were so many new buildings in Canterlot, the one who caused Celestia endless frustration cause she could never just get it right. She hated it. Hated how much of a screw up she was, hated how weak she was. But mostly she hated how much she craved her mentor affection.

“Fine!” she growled snapping her tail to toss the baby dragon on to her back with a yelp.

“Let’s just get this over with.”

Luckily Fluttershy wasn’t hard to find, Twilight only had to walk a little way out of town before she heard the music.

“Oh excuse me everyone oh could you stop please.” A soft voice asked as Twilight poked her head out of some bushes. Looking around she spied a butterscotch yellow filly flying toward a group of birds resting on some branches.

“Oh, I’m so sorry to tell you this but you were just a tiniest bit off on that last note.” The pegasus continued as Twilight moved closer.

Flying back from the red bird the pegasus waved her hooves once more “an one, two, an one two thre-“

“HEY!”

Fluttershy eeped her birds scattering at the annoyed call. Looking down at the small purple filly glaring at her she immediately landed, head lowering as her eyes instinctively sought the ground.

“Are you Fluttershy?” she asked her voice soft despite her mood. She’d seen the bruised look in the pegasus eyes and even she wasn’t that heartless.

The yellow filly scuffed a hoof not meeting her eyes as she muttered something under her breath. Chalking the answer up as, good enough don’t really care, she powered on.

“My names Twilight Sparkle I’m here to check on the stuff for the summer sun thing. I guess you’re doing music.”

Fluttershy made some tiny noise that sounded vaguely like words.

“Didn’t catch that.” Twilight said blandly.

A tiny whimper that didn’t even pretend to approach any known language.

“Right well keep it up then.” she declared walking off.

“That was easy.” She said as Spike came trotting out of the bushes.

There was a large gasp and a excited shout of “A BABY DRAGON!” before the yellow filly suddenly rushed forth. Twilight whirled around eyes flashing as she saw Fluttershy flying toward her with hooves stretched out to pick up the infant.

“Don’t touch him!” she snarled stepping in front of Spike with her horn sparking. Fluttershy drew up short, scrambling back from the suddenly furious unicorn. She cowered pitifully squeaking out a hurried apology as Twilight glared down at her, Spike hiding behind her leg fearfully.

Twilight sucked in a deep breath as she bared her teeth at the trembling Pegasus doing her best to ignore the hysterical voice screaming deep within.

Not safe. Not safe. Not safe. Not safe.”

“Don’t touch hm.” She repeated quietly clamping down on the whirling magic that had surged with her emotions. Closing her eyes, she turned away scooping Spike up and trotting off missing the sudden understanding that crossed over Fluttershy face.

“She didn’t seem so bad.” Spike said lowly, tiny fist balled in purple fur. Twilight only snorted, a furious burst of magic shooting from her horn. Spike watched curiously as it soared across Ponyville slamming into the side of the brand-new house a dark green mare was building just after she hammered in the last nail.

The poor mare watched in horror as all her hard work burst into flames. “MY HOUSE!” she sobbed. Twilight didn’t even look up.

“Lets just get this over with.” She said moving slowly toward the library.

“Hey! You..uh purple loser!” A slurred voice suddenly cut across the silence and Twilight groaned. Turning her head, she spotted the stumbling figure of Trixie wobbling toward her.

“The great and..udge drunk Trixie demands you take her to..to..her-” a large blech “-bed this instant.” The blue mare slurred out trying to lift a hoof in a superior fashion but only succeeded in falling on her face.

Sighing Twilight simply grabbed the snoring mare’s tail gagging slightly at the strong scent of alcohol before dragging her along behind her. It was a struggle. Twilight had always been smaller than most foals her age and Trixie was an adult, if in name only, which made her twice her size, but she managed.

Kicking open the door she pulled her limp weight into the darkened room just as her skin stared to tingle and her hair stood on end. Whirling around she jumped back just as the lights snapped on and an deafening yell of “SURPRISE!” filled her ears.

Eyes widening in rapidly increasing panic she backed away from the large wall of ponies in her house. Her space, her safe place.

“How did they even get in?” she heard Spike ask distantly over the sudden roar in her ears.

The voice was screaming again.

Earing folding back, her pupils narrowed as the pink filly she’d met earlier was suddenly in her face.

“Hi I’m Pinkie Pie and I threw this party just for you!” she cried with a disturbingly large grin, the fillies she had met through out the day standing behind her. Fluttershy was giving her a worried look and looked like she wanted to say something, but Twilight could barely see with the white filling her vision.

The pink filly jabbered on, jumping from place to place, getting too close. Spike was pressing into her mane, ponies were drawing closer and she needed it all to stop-.

A snort from behind her. Trixie rose unsteadily to her feet smacking her lips as she looked around with glazed eyes. Hazy eyes pasting right over the trembling mass of purple rooted in front of her she zeroed in on the crowd of ponies, decoration and general level of merriment.

Arrogance + Alcohol equal one conclusion.

“The Great and important Trixie acknowledges your feeble attempts to gain her favor with your foalish party!” she cried face flushed with her own importance. “You may bow before her greatness!”

Everything stopped as everypony stared at her in confusion before it registered what she had said. As a cry of outrage sounded from the crowd nopony noticed the little purple shape slip out the door.

Author's Note:

My first story! So excited! Tell me what you think, criticism welcome.