• Published 20th Sep 2020
  • 1,627 Views, 17 Comments

Tales From the Crystal Empire - Mystic Sunrise



A look at the life, before that fateful Royal Crystaling, of reigning Crystal Princess, Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
21
 17
 1,627

A New Foalsitter

Amicitia eyes the young Pegasus in front of her with a critical eye. There was something fishy going on here, and she didn't like it. Nope. Not one bit, as she looked up at her mother. "Who is she?"

Venus sighed. "She is your new foalsitter, Amicitia. Please do not scare her off as you have the last several."

Amicitia scrunched up her face. "I hate broccoli. It's all green and icky!" She pouted, sticking her tongue out to prove her point.

Venus rubbed her snout irritably as she tried to keep her composure. "I am sorry about this, Cadance. My daughter is usually not this difficult. She likes meeting new ponies most of the time. I do not know why she is acting like this."

Cadance chuckled. "It's no trouble, your highness. This isn't the first time somepony has reacted like this when they first meet me."

Venus nodded, before smiling. "I must insist you do not use my title while you are here. I have heard nothing but good things about you from around the empire. Do not treat us any differently than you would other ponies."

Cadance's ears lowered. She wasn't sure she could do that. This was the Royal Family for Lumena's sake! This was nothing like her other fillies and colts she looked after. Forget getting grounded. She'd be lucky not to get banished from the Crystal Empire if she screwed this up.

Venus saw the hesitation, and her own ears wilted. This happened every time she needed a new foalsitter for her daughter. No matter how hard she tried to make them comfortable, they never could treat them as normal ponies. She scooted her daughter forward, hoping she would have more luck. "Go on, Amicitia. Say hello. Don't be afraid."

Amicitia pouted but did as her mother asked. Oddly, being this close to the Pegasus was comforting and warm. Like being wrapped in a big fuzzy blanket. She liked it whatever it was. She squinted at the older filly. "You're really pink," she said after a moment.

Cadance blinked in surprise, before giggling. "Yes. Yes, I am. Mom says I get it from her side, but dad also says the same thing. So I don't know who to believe. I got asked a lot about it when we moved here."

Amicitia gasped, pointing a hoof. "You lived outside the Shield?"

Cadance nodded. "We did. In the Pegasus Enclave. But we were forced out for something stupid mom and dad still won't tell me about. When I'm older I guess."

Amicitia groaned. "I hate it when grown-ups say that! Mommy says it all the time. I'm plenty old enough to know. I'm four!"

Cadance giggled before her eyes widened in surprise as Amicitia's horn poked through her mane for the first time. This was new.

Amicitia saw where her eyes went and sighed sadly. "Ponies always stare at me when they see my horn. It's why I hide it. Nopony tells me what I am. Nopony else looks like I do. I hate being different like this."

Cadance's heart fell as she heard the sorrow in the filly's reply. She truly hated being different from other ponies like she was. Not as a princess. But as whatever kind of pony, she was. It was all she could take as she heard Amicitia sniff. She quickly pulled the filly into a hug with a wing. Amicitia didn't seem to care as she buried her head in Cadance's shoulder. The older filly looked up at the empress with a pleading look.

Rose nodded and backed quietly out of the room, leaving the two alone for now. Her head fell in despair as she headed for her first meeting. She hated not being able to do more for her daughter for this problem. She could only hope that Cadance could help in some way.

For Amicitia's sake, and for her own broken heart, Rose hoped so.


Venus sighed irritably as she left the Conference Room as she glared back at the armored Pegasus that sat with a scowl at the table. "If Commander Hurricane cannot be bothered to come here himself, then I have nothing more to say to you or to him."

The stallion's scowl grew. "This could mean war, your majesty. I suggest you consider your words wisely."

Venus laughed, but there was no mirth behind it. "You think I haven't heard it all before? Use that empty space between your ears. Armies have broken themselves against the Shield. Many more never made it that far. There are things out there on the tundra that even I fear. Atali has been seen recently."

The stallion snorted in derision. "Ymir, the Frost Giant's daughter? Old wives tales. Nothing but words from ravening mad ponies too long in the cold. I had thought you smarter than that, your highness."

Venus smiled sweetly. "For your sake, Captain Weatherbe, I hope so. But I have lived a long time, and have seen many strange things. Things that would break the minds of many. But that is neither here nor there. There is a room prepared for you. In the morning, you can return with my reply. Do not make me regret it."

Weatherbe looked ready to argue this, but Venus turned on her heel and left, leaving no doubt her thoughts on the matter.

As soon as she was out of sight, Venus sighed irritably. These demands from the Three Tribes were becoming increasingly irksome. How weak did Bullion, Hurricane, and Puddinghead, think she was? That she would just roll over and give them all that they demanded of her. Not asked. Demanded. As if she was nothing but a common noble. The Umbra had thought the same.

Now they were extinct and the pony they had sent in to weaken the empire was dead by the hooves of the one pony who had ever stood by him.

She shook her head, pushing the unpleasant memories aside as she headed for her daughter's room. None of the staff had reported anything wrong, so Rose hoped against hope that this could work. It was almost time for lunch.

As she came to the door, she heard excited voices from beyond. Not wanting to interrupt, and curious as to how things were going, she strained her ears to see what Amicitia and Cadance might be talking about.

"So what do you think of colts?" Cadance asked with a giggle.

Amicitia gagged. "Yuck. Boys are icky. Who needs them?"

Cadance giggled in return. "You say that now, but you might change your mind when you grow up."

Amicitia snorted, earning a giggle from Rose herself as she imagined the indignant look on her daughter's face. "Grown-ups are a bunch of dumb-dumbs. They do dumb stuff all the time."

"Even your mother?" Cadance asked shrewdly.

Amicitia gasped in horror. "Except mommy! She's smarter than everypony put together. And that's final! Royal Order!"

Cadance giggle-snorted, before breaking into laughter. A moment later, Amicitia joined in. A sound that put a smile on Rose's face as she turned to leave, letting the two have their privacy. She could wait.

"I think this is the beginning of something wonderful," Rose said as she headed for the Dining Hall with a spring in her step.

Author's Note:

So Atali, Frost Giants, and her father Ymir do all exist in this world. All of them as Robert E Howard had them in The Frost Giant's Daughter for Conan the Barbarian. They're just too damn cool of a concept not to use in My Little Pony.

And as I told Block last chapter. It's not weird to know where the Doctor Who actors come from. If I could tell you every single little detail about them. Then it would be weird. But this is common knowledge.