• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 1,298 Views, 9 Comments

Silver Lining - ZoNoZ



After a loved one passed a away on the line of duty, Scootaloo will have to hang on with her love...

  • ...
1
 9
 1,298

Amber Skies Fade...

Neighvember 10th,

I had just received a letter from my father, he's been in the military since I've been a little filly, in this tour he was down in the Badlands giving out care and food for refugees from the war with the Diamond Dogs.

In his letter he had said how much he missed me and my mother, wherever she was...he mentioned how they might get sent back early for a month holidays with family, i had only hoped that he would be able to make it this time, he hadn't been able to the year before and i haven't seen him since last winter, i missed my father so much i took my to tears thinking about him coming home.

Living without any parents was ok, Rarity took me in like her own little sister, when Sweetie Belle was with her parents i had her room all to myself, even was she was here we had more then enough room to have both of us here. Rarity was calling for me for awhile before i realized it, it was time for school, coming down the stairs with my bag and scarf i made my way out the door with only a small blush and my face as Rarity smiled at me and laughed, "You will never learn, will you?" i giggled at the statement, no i probably wouldn't.

The first little bit outside was ok, the leaves were turning into beautiful amber oranges and yellows as the the wind drew a small breath and chilled anything it could find, making my way down the path towards the school i was greeted by AppleBloom and SweetieBelle like every other day, it started to become routine; Talk about yesterday, what we are doing to get our cutie marks...and the some school gossip. None of the gossip interested me, i never cared for anyone else at the school as they all had their own friends and issues to deal with...

Making my way into the schoolyard i saw everyone as they were, Snips and Snails were on the swings, Twist was talking to Dinky Hooves, and Diamond Tiara was being her old bossy self-but what i didn't see was Silver Spoon, normally she was with her-i felt a little concern but shook it off since its getting colder and ponies are getting sick and taking days off.


After Miss Cheerilee rang the school bell for us to come inside from the yard we all assembled into a line and trotted inside the school house, after we all found our assigned seating and quieted down down Cheerilee started her lesson, for the past week we have been learning about Remembrance Day and the current war going on, not many student had much interest in the war but i was all ears, "Now my little ponies, who can tell me what day is on the 11th?" ...No hands..i shot up my hand as i saw nobody knew, "Its Remembrance Day on the 11th" i said with a small smile, Cheerilee looked at me with eyes of understanding, knowing that my father is fighting in the war.

Slowly as the day went by we recited poems, crafted reefs, and practiced for the minute of silence that would take place soon, "So, how is you father doing scoots?" Asked the White unicorn i was well acquainted with, "He's been doing good, he might even be able to make it down for Hearths Warming Eve..." i said with a small smile, i knew my father put his life on the line to save ponies like me, but i never knew how it would feel to lose him...Putting that past me, "How are your parents Belle?" i asked cocking my head trying to move the conversation away from me,"They've been doing good, and since the moved from Las Pegasus to Canterlot, i can see you guys more often." I smiled at that.

As the school day ended me and the girls went out to Bon-Bon's candy shop, Twist worked here after school to help out, after we all bought a small treat of our own with our pocket change we all headed our own ways home, Applebloom went across town up the the ranch and SweetieBelle came with me to Rarity's, as we made our way down the walkway something was amiss, Rarity wasn't there to meet us and take us home, seeing this we made our way home quickly as possible, not stopping by to visit anybody we made our way into the Boutique and Rarity was on the phone, she looked disheartened she only signaled us to go to our room, "What do you think that was about?" SweetieBelle said with concern in her eyes, "I wouldn't know for the life of me..."

After about a hour Rarity made her way up, she had been crying. "S..s Scootaloo, may i speak with you for a bit?" Why would she need to talk to me? as i followed her down into the living room she had me take a seat, "I just got off the phone and i..i heard some very bad news..." News? what news could do this to Rarity? "What happened?" i said with concern in my voice.

"Its about your father...."


- - - - - - - - - - - -


"NO! It can't be true!" i yelled out as Rarity told me the news.

My father had been killed, struck by a missile his whole platoon had been wiped out with no survivors..."I-i- cant believe..." i started crying. "I cant believe he's gone!" i was bawling like a baby foal at this moment and didn't care who heard me, SweetieBelle came down the stairs wondering what was going on, but the second she saw me she knew it, she tried to come up and comfort me, but i stood up and ran, not caring where i ended up.

As i ran it started to rain, the rain in fall time was cold and unforgiving as it pounded every sorrow of the skies onto you, the amber skies of the afternoon faded and so did my vision...