• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 1,332 Views, 27 Comments

Equestria's Assassins: Bringer of the Night - Moonshine9012



“From childhood's hour I have not been. As others were, I have not seen. As others saw, I could not awaken. My heart to joy at the same tone. And all I loved, I loved alone.” ― Edgar Allan Poe

  • ...
3
 27
 1,332

Chapter 5: The Telling of an Old Tale (Part 5)

What's up everypony! Not really a lot to say today except that I am still excepting OC's at the moment. Hope yall enjoy the fifth chapter! Oh and before I forget, if you think I should start giving the chapters actual names, go a head and tell me when you comment and review! Thanks yall! (Note: Bold italics are imagination, regular italics are Night Bringer. You'll get it in a sec.)

Chapter 5: The Telling of an Old Tale (Part 5)

March 28, 1065

It's about 2:00 a.m., couldn't sleep....... AGAIN. I'm telling you this whole not sleeping thing just isn't working out for me. Oh well, a little coffee and violin will probably help me sleep. Yeah I know, coffee does not equal sleep for somepony normal but then again I'm not normal.


Just finished my third cup of coffee and seventh song on the violin and it doesn't seem like I'll be getting sleep anytime soon. Normally, I would be passed out right now in the music studio here in my house but those stupid nightmares won't give me a break.

They just keep getting worse and worse. I keep seeing Equestria in turmoil, blood coating the ashen and body ridden ground. Each time, the horrors only multiply. In every single one though, I see two apposing armies from afar, one clad in dark blue and black armor and the other in white and gold.

I can never tell who fill the ranks of the armies. At the forefront of each force is an imposing figure, leading them and their's into a blood induced battle.

I have experienced first hand all that I have seen in my dreams but that was almost forty years ago. I cannot let Equestria fall into that kind of chaos again. It's all I can do not to shout in frustration but I don't want to run the risk of waking my wife upstairs.

I would only worry her if she found out I were having these. She would probably just tell me they were just remnants of the war but I don't think so. I think there is more to this then meets the eye.

I will speak to Princess Luna about it in the morning and see if she can give me any insight to what is going on. For now though, I must continue my story, for I'm just getting to the best part.....


Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

This was all I heard as I floated in the darkness that was the deep expanse of my mind. The beeping sounded like it came from far away, from somewhere in the never ending blackness.

The sound would echo throughout my mind, like it was a majestic cathedral. The sound rebounding off of tall walls and high roofs till it faded to nothing.

I don't know how long I floated there, with nothing but my thoughts and that annoying beeping. I don't really want to know. Nothing seemed to matter as I floated there, suspended in the void.

I couldn't feel anything, my body was completely numb. I couldn't move anything, not even blink. All I had to myself were my thoughts and they too were a little dampened.

Well mom and dad, I did it. I finally avenged your deaths. I wish you both were here today. I thought with more then a hint of sadness. I didn't know what to do then. For so many years, the pain and sorrow of my parent's death had pushed me to keep going, to avenge them.

Now that I had accomplished what had completely consumed me for so long, I didn't know what to do. The logical part of me was telling me I could still go on, that I had an adopted family that loved me as much as my deceased parents had.

The other part of me, the painfully cynical and emotional part, kept reminding me of what was going on. So I started arguing with myself... Again.

Well, we did it bro, we finally got that no good SOB.
Yeah, we did didn't we?... So I guess this is the part where I say 'bye-bye, so long cruel world' and just let go?
I couldn't tell you, I'm only a figment of your imagination. I will remind you of Tavi though.
Ugh... Did you really have to bring that up?
Yes, yes I did and for a good reason.
Well, good reason or not, it didn't help. It only makes me want to let go even more. You remember what she said, she already found the 'perfect one'.
So that's it? Your going to let it all go, just like that? Come on brony, your not THAT stupid! Please tell me your NOT. THAT. STUPID.
Ha, well I guess I am. I don't have anything left to live for.

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard a deep, booming voice through my ears as well as in my mind.
Yes you do Night. You don't know what plans I have in store for you, would you throw it all away that easily? Remember the dream Night Bringer, it may yet come true.

Who's there?! I shouted in my mind.

The Voice was silent though.

Who in the name of Mike was that?!
How the heck would I know?!

Just then, a small golden dot appeared in the darkness in front of my eyes. It started out small, no bigger then a mustard seed. Then it started to grow and grow and grow, til it engulfed me in its warm glow.


As I passed through the light, I heard the beeping increase rapidly as pain washed over my entire body. I heard voices around me as a splitting headache decided to pay me a visit.

I moaned as I cracked open my eyes a little. Almost immediately the room fell silent except for the murmuring coming from beside me. "Ugh.." I said as I opened my eyes all the way.

I was in a hospital bed, in a room that smelled overwhelmingly like disinfectant and rubbing alcohol surprisingly enough. To my left was a nurse and doctor, studying all the machines that I was hooked up to.

On my right were three chairs against the wall and in them sat Treble, Octavia, and Shadow. Treble sat closest to me, with Tavi sitting next to him, her head on his shoulder and his arms around her. It looked like she had been crying recently.

And Shadow? Well, Shad was chained to his chair by hoof cuffs on both his arms and legs. Can you spell freakin over kill? I thought groggily. I looked towards the door and found two royal guards on ether side of the frame, glaring at me.

I looked back at Treble and Shad; both were staring at me rather intently. I smiled weakly and said quietly, "Hey everpony."

At my voice, Octavia's head shot up and looked right at me. Our eyes met for a moment before she rushed over to my bed and pulled me into a tight embrace. My body screamed in protest from the cuts, bruises, and possibly broken bones as she squeezed me.

I didn't want to ruin the moment though so I just enjoyed it. It turns out I didn't have to ruin the moment because after a few seconds, she seemed to remember why I was in the hospital in the first place.

She pulled back quickly as she audibly smacked me across the face. It stung but I took it like a stallion because I knew I deserved that. I looked back at her to see tears forming in her eyes as she glared at me.

Finally, she screamed, "Asshole! Do you know what you put us through?! Put me through?!" She proceeded to slap me again before embracing me and sobbing quietly.

I was stunned for a moment, not because of the slap but because I had never heard Tavi curse before. I slowly started to stroke her mane as I tried to calm her.

"Shh, shh, it's ok. I'm ok, don't you worry." I said.

She broke away and looked at me before saying quietly, "I thought you were going to die."

I smiled weakly as I shakily raised my hoof and gently caressed her face. I almost shed tears of joy when she didn't pull away from it. (Yes I know, I'm very emotional and sappy sometimes)

"I'm not going anywhere, I promise" I gently said as I continued to stroke her face.

We were interrupted as the doctor checking the machines cleared his throat quit loudly. We both looked at him then at each other as we both blushed and pulled away from each other quickly. (Though Tavi left her hoof over mine, to my immense pleasure)

"Well, it's good to see you awake young colt. I'm sorry it has to be under less then ideal circumstances." he said with a bit of a frown.

My ears drooped a little at this as I replied, "Yes, I know what you mean." There was a long pause before I asked, "So how long was I out for?"

"Only about a day but it was a very long day indeed. You almost stroked out from blood loss early on then we almost lost you from a punctured lung that we didn't know about til it was almost to late." he said with a somber look.

I paled and I could feel Octavia tense as she squeezed my hoof. So that's why. She didn't just think I was going to die, she really thought I was going to die.

I squeezed her hoof in reply as I smiled a small smile at her before turning me attention back to the doctor.

"... All and all, you'll need plenty of rest here for awhile" he was saying.

At this, one of the guards cleared his throat and said, "I'm afraid that won't be possible doctor. These criminals have a hearing with Princess Celestia tomorrow. After that, they will be sentenced to whatever the Princess deems fit for them."

I flinched a little at being called a criminal with such venom. Shadow on the other hand just stared at them with a steely glare.

The doctor huffed and said, "Fine, I guess he can go in a wheel chair tomorrow but I'm going to write a letter to the Princess about this such short notice. Excuse me."

With that, the doctor and nurse walked out of the room and turned down the hall, muttering to himself. "Good luck to 'im" Treble mumbled as he got up from his chair and walked over to the side of my bed.

I gave him a weak smile again but he just looked at me sadly.

He sighed before saying, "I told you to get the royal guard and Don't.Do.Anything.Stupid. BUT DID YOU LISTEN TO ME? NO!"

By this time, he had started to shout at me and let me just tell ya, it made the royal guards flinch like mares in front of a manticorn. (Not Fluttershy though, of course)

I cringed as he yelled at me but I took it like I had when Tavi was giving it out because I knew I deserved it.

I lowered my head and said quietly, "I know but.... I couldn't just let him get away.... I had to catch him, to make him pay for what he did to me."

Treble seemed to soften as he said quieter, "I know you did... and now you have... but because of that, you brought consequences on yourself. Just because you thought killing Paladius was justified, doesn't mean the Princess is going to see it the same way. I hear she can get very.... interesting when condemning killers."

I simply just nodded my head in reply because I knew what he said was was true. I had to fess up and take whatever as thrown at me in stride.

I looked over at Shadow and saw that his steely glare hadn't left the guards this entire time. I called over to him and said, "Hey Shad, how you holding up bro?"

Without taking his eyes off he guard, he answered, "Just fine man. How you holding up?"

"Pretty good I'd say. Listen,sorry bout pulling you into all this." I replied.

Finally looking towards me, he chuckled a little and said, "No apology needed, I knew what I was getting into when I said I'd help."

I smiled a little at my friend. Shadow was one of the of the few ponies I could call an actual friend because no matter what I was getting into, he'd always be there to help me.

My lungs decided to hurt right then so I was sent into an enraged coughing fit. After settling me down, Treble announced that I need to my rest. As everypony filed out of the room, the guards were loath to move from their post.

A word from Treble though put one outside my door and the other outside of the room they had put Shadow in. Before she left, Tavi came over and hugged me one more time. As she pulled away, I could tell she wanted to say something.

Judging by the look on her face, I probably looked the same way. Before ether of us could say something though, I heard Treble call for her. Giving me a reluctant good-bye and a fleeting smile, she left, shutting the door behind her.

I sighed as I reached over and and hit the light switch by my bed and layed down in my bed.

I have got a long day tomorrow.
Heh, your telling me
Oh, there you are annoying voice. I had wondered where you had gotten off to.
That sir, is MY business. Though, I couldn't help but notice some of YOUR business.
What exactly are you talking about?
Why, Octavia my dear chum. It's time you made your move.
I'm going to bed.
Ah come on mate, you know it's true. Especially when I make you dream about her tonight.
Shut up.


As I cracked open my eyes the next morning, I realized something very important. I realized that the stupid voice actually could control my dreams.

Why yes, yes I can. Didn't you believe me?
Go away, I'm to tired to deal with you.

The voice sounded like it was going to say something but was cut off as the door opened and the light flickered on. Standing in the door way was the doctor with a wheel chair. Behind him stood the other guard, Treble, and Shadow.

Shad was also sitting in a wheel chair, with his hooves chained to it. The doctor came over and said, "It's time."

I nodded as he unhooked me from all the machines and pulled the chair up to the bed. I slid off of the bed and into the chair. A moment later, I was being pushed out of my room and down the hall.

Apparently, they didn't think I was much of a threat because they didn't chain me like they did Shad. As we were wheeled out of the hospital, I noticed Octavia was no where to be found.

I glanced back at Treble, who was pushing my wheelchair, and asked, "Where's Octavia?"

Treble's eyes flashed as he looked down at me for a split second before looking back up, his face expressionless.

"She's back at the house. I didn't want her to come to this."

I nodded, a frown forming on my face. Probably trying to keep her away from me I thought. As we kept going, I noticed we were heading in the direction of the side ally for the hospital.

I glared at the guards then back at the ally. This does NOT bring back happy memories. It turns out the only reason we were going to the ally was so that we could be teleported to the castle by one of the guards.

I almost audibly sighed in relief. History wasn't going to repeat itself.... for now. The unicorn guard charged the spell on his horn and before long, there was a bright flash.

I shut my eyes at the golden, blinding light. As I reopened my eyes, I was greeted by the sight of Princess Celestia sitting atop her throne. She did not look happy at all.

They stared at Shadow and I with a glare that turned my bones to ice it was so cold. We were wheeled closer to the thrones before the guards and Treble all stepped back.

Nervous as I felt, I managed to hold there stare with a blank expression. I looked to the left of her throne and saw a filly about my age with a lavender coat and a dark purple mane with lighter purple streaks running through it.

She stared at Shadow and I with a bit of surprise as she held a quill and parchment in her magic in front of her.

Celestia examined us for a few more moments before saying, "It is a pity to see such young colts like this. I would have hoped ponies had given up murder after what happened with my sister all those years ago. I can see that my hope was in vain."

I resisted the urge to growl at her. I almost did but stopped myself when Shadow caught my attention with a whisper and shook his head.

I didn't growl but I bore daggers into the Princess with my eyes.

She continued by saying, "Now, before I pronounce sentence, is there anything you would like to say in your defense?"

This time I did growl and it took everyone in the room by surprise, except for Treble and Shadow. (Because they were the only ones who knew me that well.)

"Yes I do", I snarled then continued, "Princess, you know what it's like to lose somepony you love, for them to be taken from you. Yes, I do speak of Nightmare Moon taking Princess Luna. So you know the pain you have to endure to lose somepony you love with all your heart.

Well, I lost two ponies I loved and they were my bucking parents. You probably remember a couple of years ago, the colt who's parent's were murdered?"

Celestia's eyes flashed in recognization but other wise didn't show anything. "Yes, I remember." If the mare beside her looked surprised before, she was beyond shock now as she scribbled down notes.

Keeping the hurt and snarl, I continued, "Those were my parents. The zebra that I killed, was their murderer. So, sentence me if you will but don't insult my integrity. Also, Shadow had nothing to do with this."

I was cut off as Shad cut me off by saying, "Princess, I agreed to help him in his plot for revenge and if he is to be sentenced I should be as well."

I looked at him in disbelief and stared back at me, determination in his eyes. I couldn't believe it. I was willing to take the blame for everything but he wouldn't let me do it.

I reminded again how great a friend Shadow was.

Celestia stared at us both, a hint of sadness now entering her expression. "This... does put a new light on things. For now, all I can do shorten your sentence. I am sorry."

I wearily shook my head and waited for the axe to come full circle.

"For the murder of the zebra Paladius, I hearby pronounce that the stallions Night Bringer and Shadow Wing be sentenced to ten years in the Royal Canterlot Prison, with parole in five years time."

There was a light then flash. I landed on cobblestone, free of my wheel chair and chains. Looking up, I saw Shadow land next to me in the cell we now occupied.

Well Night, welcome to prison life
Go die in a hole.

Hey guys! Hope you liked the chapter! The assassins part is coming ether the next chapter or the one after. Comment and review please!