• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 1,332 Views, 27 Comments

Equestria's Assassins: Bringer of the Night - Moonshine9012



“From childhood's hour I have not been. As others were, I have not seen. As others saw, I could not awaken. My heart to joy at the same tone. And all I loved, I loved alone.” ― Edgar Allan Poe

  • ...
3
 27
 1,332

Chapter 2: The Telling of an Old Tale (Part 2)

Hey everypony! Hope yall enjoyed the first chapter! Again, I'm sorry for the first being so short, things have been a little hectic around here and I haven't been able to put as much into a chapter as I would like. I will try to do better! As always, please comment and review!

Chapter 2: The Telling of an Old Tale (Part 2)

March 25, 1065

I just got back from dinner with my wife and kids (Who are grown and have foals of their own mind you). Apparently, they had taken me out for my sixty sixth birthday and were celebrating at 'Le Pâtissier'.

That was fine of course because that's Pinkie's restaurant and it's my favorite. The only problem is that my birthday was two weeks ago. When I asked them about it, they claimed that I was mistaken and they were sure it was today.

Mistaken my hoof. They do this to me every year. Oh well, at least I got some of Pinkie's famous pastry ale. I never did find out how she made alcohol taste like cake.... Anyway, I guess I should get back to writing of my story.

I had just past out on the side walk from lack of blood and oxygen...


The weird thing about dreams is that in some you know your dreaming and then some you don't know. I was in one of those situations. I couldn't figure out what was real and what was fake.

At some points I would see doctors with masks around me and hear screaming in the background before everything went black. Then other times I would be with my parents, ether out buying Christmas gifts for other ponies or singing carols.

Back and forth these realities swapped. A never ending sea of peace and chaos, harmony and discord, pain and joy. At some points I wanted to scream in agony and confusion and at times I think I did.

There was one thing though that penetrated the tumbling thing that was my mind, one thought that out shouted all others. I heard it over and over again: I'm going to kill him.

Sometimes I would think it was important beyond anything else. Then other times, I would cast it aside like it was an annoying fly or troublesome dust in my eye.

But still, it persisted.

I do not know how long I went between my two worlds, nor do I wish to know. All I know is that, after what seemed like an eternity, I finally began to stir and awaken to what was reality.


I slowly opened my eyes and stared at a white tiled sealing. I started to sit up from my prone position and while I did, I got a good look at the room.

I was lying in a hospital bed in a tiny twelve by twelve room. To my right were machines with wires hooked to me, beeping every few seconds and showing different readings and such.

To my left was a counter with a nurse and doctor leaning over it, studying a clipboard. As they heard the rustle of the sheets, the two ponies turned around to face me, genuine smiles on their faces.

“Why good morning young foal, how are you feeling today?” asked the doctor as he came over to the side of my bed.

“Good sir” I replied in a quiet voice.

The doctor smiled sympathetically as the nurse came over and handed the clipboard to him. He looked it over as he said, “Your looking good for somepony who’s been out for a week.”

My eyes widened as I heard him say that. A week? I thought in bewilderment. The doctor saw my eyes get wide and said hastily, “Don’t worry, your better now. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

He smiled again while handing the clipboard to the nurse then left without another word. The nurse went and checked my machines before giving me a shot for pain.

As she worked, I studied her for a moment. She had a light pink mane and tail streaked with white. Her eyes were a dark magenta that captivated me.

She had an all light pink coat that was adorned with a Cutie Mark of a Red Cross on her flank. She must have noticed I was looking at her because she startled me by saying, "You know, you could have asked to scrutinize me like that."

I jumped a little and quickly looked into her smirking face. "I'm sorry, I-I was just... Umm... Ah crap..." I said while blushing.

She laughed and said, "No need to apologize, it's quiet alright. So has the pain gone down yet?"

"A little" I replied. I sat for a minute before saying a little softer, "So how bad am I?"

She looked at me a moment before looking down at the clipboard and saying, "Well, I could say you aren't that bad and you'll be fine. But I'm not going to sugar coat it. Your heart was about 5 minutes away from complete collapse. Your esophagus was almost completely crushed and there might be brain damage. All in all, your very lucky to be alive."

I sat there, stunned by the shear bluntness of the nurse and the realization of how close I was to death. My pity party was shortly ended as I thought about the reason I was in the hospital.

"My parents?" I whispered, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

The nurse was quiet for a moment before answering, "I'm sorry young one but your parents are dead. We found their bodies in the alley shortly after we picked you up."

I nodded my head as a single tear rolled down my cheek. I felt a hoof on my shoulder and looked up to see the nurse with a sad smile on her face. Without thinking, I instinctively clung to the nurse.

After a moments hesitation, the nurse hugged me in return as I sobbed into her shoulder. After a few minutes, we broke apart as we heard a throat clear.

I looked up and saw a brown unicorn with a black main and tail standing in the doorway. His Cutie Mark was peculiar because it was a spyglass and a dagger crossed over each other.

"I'm sorry for interrupting but I need to speak for Night Bringer here for a moment" the unicorn said. The nurse looked at me and I nodded. She nodded in return and slowly walked out of the room.

The stallion stepped aside for her then came in and shut the door behind him. He went and brought the one chair in the room, a rolling chair, over to the side of my bed and sat in it. "My name is Treble" he said. I didn't bother to reply.

We both stared at each other for what seemed like forever til finally, he readjusted himself in his chair and said, "I'm sorry about your parents Night. I knew them both very well."

I looked at him in confusion. I had never seen this unicorn before today and yet he claimed to have been a close friend of my parents. I didn't understand any of this.

Despite the confusion I felt however, I didn't answer; I felt like I couldn't answer. It was like my tongue had swollen up and I couldn't form any words, not even make a sound.

So as I stared at him, he continued to speak, saying, "I know what your going through, losing people you love. I lost my wife and youngest daughter years ago, so I know the pain you feel."

He smiled sadly at me before saying, "Never the less though, I need you to push aside your pain for just a moment and tell me about the pony who killed your parents."

Again, I couldn't form the words, couldn't open my lips to speak. So I continued to stare at him with an unwavering gaze. We sat there for another few minutes before he let out a heavy sigh.

"Alright, take your time. I'm going to step out and look over the crime files again. In the mean time, I think you should get acquainted with my daughter, Tavi. I think you to will get along just fine."

With that, he got up and went back over to the door. He opened it and exited, stopping briefly to speak with somepony in the hallway. With one final smile through the door way, he was gone.

I stared at the door, wondering who he had spoken to. I was about to call out when the single most beautiful mare I had ever seen walked through the door way.

She had a light grey coat with a pink ribbon with a white strap around her neck. Her mane and tail were a darker shade off grey with what looked like tiny whit lines running threw them.

Her Cutie Mark was that of a musical note that I could not remember the name off. What captivated me the most were her eyes. They were a purple color that differed in shades according to if she was in the light or not.

She looked about fourteen, two years older then I. The way she carried herself though, you would have thought she was five years older. The way she held her head high as she walked over to me, the stare that seemed to see into my very soul.

I was astonished, nay, awestruck at the beauty that was walking towards me. Walking towards me?! Snapping out of my fantasy land, I noticed that she had sat down in the chair her father had been sitting in a few moments ago.

Frantically searching for something to say, I started to sweat a little bit. I opened my mouth to speak but my tongue still wouldn't respond correctly, so all I got out was a "Hi."

It had sounded more like a mouse squeaking in fright then an actual greeting. Feeling my face flush with embarrassment, I quickly turned away and hid my face with a hoof.

Quietly scolding myself, I waited for the mare to leave because of my foalness. Instead, I felt a hoof on my shoulder, heard a giggle, then a voice (Which had a little of a Canterlot accent to it) as sweet as honey say, "Now why would you want to hide your face? You turn the most becoming shade of red."

Blushing even more at this comment, I slowly removed my hoof and turned around. The mare had the cutest smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye. Seeing her smile made me smile as I felt my nervousness and embarrassment wash away.

She giggled again before saying, "That's better, I would prefer to look into your eyes and not at the back of your head."

My eyes widened a little as I replied, "You mean, your not creeped out by them?"

She chuckled as she brushed some hair away from my face and said, "Of course not, why would I be?"

My face drooped a little as I said, "Everypony else is so I just thought..."

My vice trailed off as she lifted my head up and said, "Well, I'm not everypony. I think your eyes are beautiful."

I blushed and, without thinking, said, "Yours are to."

I blushed harder as she laughed and said, "My, such a charmer. I'm sorry, allow me to introduce myself: my name is Octavia Florence. What's yours?"

It took me a second before I said in a stronger voice then earlier, "My name is Night Bringer."

She smiled and said, "That's a nice name Night. How old are you?"

"Twelve, almost thirteen. What about you?" I replied, also with a smile.

"Fourteen, going on fifteen in a month." she said, a hint of pride in her voice.

"Oh really, when's your birthday? Mine's July the seventeenth." I replied, getting curious.

She seemed to think before saying, "January fourth. So where do you live?..."

Back and forth we talked, for what seemed like hours. We talked of both our lives, our hobbies and interests. I told her of my flying tricks and wanting to be an elite pegasis one day.

She told me of her cello playing and of how she wanted to be in the Canterlot Royal Orchestra, as lead cellist. On and on we talked, til we couldn't talk our throats were so dry.

Eventually, Octavia's father, Detective Treble (For he was a detective) came back the room and announced that it was time for Tavi and him to leave. We both groaned in disappointment but perked up as he announced that they would be back the following morning because the detective still needed to talk to me.

As Octavia followed her father out of my room, she turned around and said, "I'll see you in the morning! Good night!" As she shut the door behind her, I giggled at the irony of the statement 'Good night'.

Then I thought about it and said out loud to myself, "Wait, 'good night'? But, last time I checked it was..." My voice trailed off as I turned to look at my clock. 10:35 p.m. it read. My mouth dropped open. I had woken up at about nine that morning. It couldn't be sleep time already.... Could it?

Oh well, I got to meet Tavi so that's all that matters right now I thought happily. Then my thoughts turned on me as I thought of my parents and how I was alone now, an orphan.

I shook my head and pushed those thoughts aside. I didn't want to think about that right now. All I wanted now was sleep. I turned and flipped the switch by my bed, turning the lights off.

As I snuggled into my warm sheets, my mind drifted back to Octavia. I am going to be dreaming tonight I thought with laugh. Eventually, I felt my eye lids get heavy til I couldn't take it anymore and I surrendered myself to the blackness that was slumber.

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed the second chapter! Sorry for taking long and having short chapter but I wanted to get it out there. I am faced with a choice now though: I can ether get chapters out there quickly and have less quality or I can take my time and have time spaced between the chapter for quality and story. Tell me how you feel about this please and I will act accordingly! :)