• Published 23rd Jul 2020
  • 188 Views, 3 Comments

The Patrol's Last Mission - DougtheLoremaster



They protected the Princess without ever having been noticed. Now they've retired. When one of their own was murdered a year ago, they sort of drifted apart. Twilight has one last mission for the group of mercenaries known as the Royal Patrol.

  • ...
3
 3
 188

In Her Heart Of Hearts

The Matriarch of Equestria watched Octavia rush over and proceed to talk to Vinyl and Lyra, throwing her arms around her partner. Giving a silent laugh, Twilight paused for a moment to glance at the scene. How long has it been since they smiled in such a genuine way? At that moment a cheer went up from everypony on the bench; The Doctor had arrived.

In a flash of light, Doctor Hooves appeared before the group, brushing himself off. The Doctor had been the leader of the development of arms and machinations for the patrol. A self-proclaimed mad scientist, The Doctor was a favorite amongst the team. He paused for a moment to examine a strange harness about his midriff and gave a small frown. Glancing at a scorch mark on his shoulder, he turned towards Button Mash.

“Agent Gamer take a note: lower the output by two ticks and avoid using it in sunlight.”

“Yeah, I gotcha Doc.”

Button Mash; AKA Agent Gamer, had been The Doctor’s assistant in creating weaponry. He pulled out what appeared to be a gamepad of his design; until he pressed a few buttons, and it began to broadcast a hologram. Speaking in what he called Elder Ponish, the group watched in fascination as the avatar recorded the notes for his friend. The avatar suspiciously looked extremely familiar to Lyra. Is that Sweetie Belle?

The world seemed to stop as Lyra watched an almost forgotten memory played in her mind: The day Button Mash and Sweetie Belle got married; almost one year ago.

***

The ceremony had just ended and the banquet had begun. The food was piled high, and the attendees were having a ball. All but one that is. Lyra had snuck out the side door to sit on the empty steps and cry alone. Though she wasn’t alone for long; the bride had noticed Lyra taking her leave. After a short conversation with Button; asking him to distract everypony, Sweetie Belle stealthily made her way to the same steps.

Sitting beside her without a sound, Sweetie Belle gently rested her hoof on the sobbing mare’s shoulder, causing her to jump. Turning to look up, Lyra found herself staring into the kind and gentle eyes of possibly the most terrifying of their group; Sweetie Belle. She tried to stammer out an apology.

“I-I’m sorry, I-”

She found a hoof pressed against her muzzle, as Sweetie gave her a warm smile.

“Don’t- It’s alright, I understand. I miss her too.”

Gracefully she pulled Lyra to rest upon her shoulder, whispering to her.

“Go ahead, let it out. I got you.”

Lyra held nothing back and began to bawl, letting the tears flow down her face into the wedding dress. Sweetie Belle gently patted her on the back as tears welled in her own eyes.

It had been little over a week since Bonbon had been laid to rest. Though Lyra felt the brunt of the pain from the scene, the other members had felt empty since; completely heartbroken. Sweetie Belle gave her a soothing hug, as she nodded.

“There, there let it out.”

Lyra cried for 5 minutes straight before her tears subsided; completely staining Sweetie Belle’s shoulder with the salt from her tears. Recognition dawned on her and she jerked back in shock and began apologizing once more.

“I’m so sorry- Your dress. I-”

Once again the bride’s hoof pressed against her muzzle. Her words were sweet and loving.

“Don’t apologize; it’s just fabric. Don’t ever feel you need to be sorry for wanting to cry. You aren’t embarrassing me or anypony else; you are healing. And if anypony ever gives you flak for it…”

She smiled, showing several teeth sharpened to a point behind her front ones.

“We both know, I’ll convince them of my points over a round of tea.”

Lyra’s blood ran cold at the statement. Sweetie Belle had been in charge of interrogation and torture. ‘A round of tea’ was what she called those private questionings. Nopony ever saw her perform them, but the screams of her guests were legendary. Nopony said no to Agent Belle. When she wanted information, she got it. Lyra gave a shaky smile.

“Thanks, Belle.”

Nodding with approval, Sweetie Belle hugged Lyra tightly.

“Anytime Lyre. Ready to head back in? Gamer is probably running out of distractions.”

“Yes, let’s.”

***

Lyra felt that same salt stinging her eyes, as sitting on the bench, her tears began to fall once more.

“Why is she crying?”

“I don’t know.”

“Dammit! What did you do?”

“Nothing Tavi I swear!”

The voices echoing around Lyra snapped her from her reverie and blushing, she started stammering out an apology.

“Sorry, guys, I-”

“What did I tell you about apologizing, Lyre?”

The veins of all present froze solid at the sound of the stern voice. Frozen in place, all turned towards the speaker. A white unicorn mare, with a cold glare in her icy blue eyes, was slowly approaching them from the road. On the unicorn’s flank was a cutiemark; indicating a shield with a musical note inside. Her mane was naturally curly and held a bubblegum-pink hue. Draped over her side was a small satchel that seemed to be moving. The Infamous Torturer; Agent Belle had arrived.

“Don’t ever apologize for wanting to cry.”

“Do you mind not doing that with me so close to you, Belle?”

Blinking, the white glow faded from Sweetie Belle’s irises, causing all within her sight to feel the warmth slowly return to their bodies. Turning to look at the speaker beside her, she gave a sheepish smile consisting of her famous back row fangs.

“Sorry Diamond, a force of habit.”

“You nearly killed me!”

“Eh, I’ll buy you a milkshake later at Sugarcube Corners, we’ll call it even.”

“I-”

Looking her dead in the eyes, Belle’s own twinkled with malice.

“You what?”

Knowing she was beaten, the pink earthpony mare, known as Diamond Tiara, admitted defeat.

“I accept. But I also want sprinkles! Like old times!”

“Oh C’mon!”

Diamond Tiara, unlike the others, had not been an original member to the Patrol and had stumbled upon initiation by completely different means. She had not been hired by Twilight. No, she had been invited as a filly. By Sweetie Belle. The silver-rimmed glasses of her late childhood friend sat upon her face, the frames tinted a slight rosy red; an eternal reminder of a promise she would keep until the day she died.

“It has to have sprinkles!”

***

Diamond Tiara had a schoolfilly crush on Silver Spoon. Both were inseparable while at school or walking to and from school. One day, she didn’t come to school. As if by instinct, or perhaps fate, she had ventured to her house to see her. Upon arriving though, she found the front door busted in. Venturing into the house she found a classmate, Sweetie Belle, with her back to her; standing amidst the grisly and shattered remains of Silver Spoon and her family.

She was talking to someone on a strange device. And what’s more Diamond could hear the one she was talking to.

“Yeah, it’s just like the others, Captain.”

“Alright, finish your cleanup and get the Tartarus out of there. Come back to HQ and we can-”

“Not this time.”

“Belle, I know you’re good but don’t do anything rash. Our job was to-”

“To Tartarus with that! We’re being hunted like deer!”

“Belle. Don’t-”

“Sorry Captain. She was family.”

“Belle that Nightmare Cult’s power is too-”

“Tell Gamer I’m sorry; I’ll be late for our date.”

“BELLE!”

*CLICK*

Without turning around Sweetie Belle spoke in a loud voice.

“I know you’re there, Diamond Tiara, stop hiding.”

Without warning, Diamond Tiara found herself hurled bodily forward to land sprawling before Sweetie Belle. The pink earthpony found herself staring into her merciless eyes as she struggled to stand; her limbs hurting immensely.

Shaking and still trying to process what was going on, Diamond stared at Sweetie Belle; her classmate, a filly just like herself. Was this the same blank-flanked unicorn she teased daily?

“What...A-are you?”

Sweetie Belle didn’t say a word and turned to leave the horrific scene.

“Answer me! What is this? What happened? Please, tell me!”

“Forget everything you’ve seen here Diamond. I don’t want to have to kill you.”

The words were as frigid and cold as the expression that had been in her eyes. Diamond Tiara felt like if she moved, she would shatter; her body frozen in fear. Still, she refused to let that stop her. Sweetie Belle whirled around to stare in surprise at Diamond Tiara, who now had her forehoof shakily holding onto Sweetie’s shoulder. The pain as she tried to speak from the blistering cold; evident from her shivering stutter.

“I-I’m coming t-too! You- You said you’re g-going after her k-k-iller, right?”

Blinking; startled from Diamond Tiara’s determination, the glow of Sweetie Belle’s eyes faded. Shortly after, Diamond found herself able to move once again with ease; her body’s warmth returning.

“No, you stay. It’s safer here.”

Once again she turned to leave only to find Diamond in her way.

“I said I’m coming!”

The eyes of the little Earthpony welled with unshed tears as the strain of holding them back proved too much.

“Please… She was my only friend, she meant everything to me. I’m begging you, take me with you.”

“This isn’t your world Diamond.”

Her words were different. No longer cold or hostile, they conveyed concern.

“You could die. And you can never return to the life you knew.”

“I already have nothing left to lose.”

Seeing there was no dissuading Diamond, Sweetie Belle’s eyes softened. Her mouth opened in a partial smile that revealed a back row of freshly sharpened teeth.

“Idiot, say that again and I’ll kill you, myself. Fine, you can come. We need to move quickly, and by Celestia’s flank; if I say do something, you’d better listen. Got it?”

Sweetie Belle watched as Diamond bent down to pick up the silver frames of her fallen friend; sniffling. Turning away, she called out to her before walking out the door.

“Let’s go, and stop trying to be brave. Just let the tears flow, it’ll help. Tell you what if we survive; I’ll buy you a milkshake with sprinkles!”

***

Lyra just watched in fascination as Sweetie Belle, who was now putting Diamond Tiara in a headlock, shouted at the now-retired assassin-turned-elementary teacher.

“Alright! You can have your sprinkles, just stop pestering me!”

At that moment the saddlebag at Sweetie’s side began crying; or rather the precious object within it. She immediately let go of the struggling Diamond. Agent Belle’s horn alit with her icy blue magic and a small foal, which was crying incessantly, was levitated out of the bag and into her hooves. Instantly her entire mood shifted as she rocked the little infant whispering to it.

“There, there. Mama’s got you. C’mon, show mama that big girl smile.”

The foal began to giggle and snuggle into her beaming mother’s hooves. Sweetie Belle glanced over at the bench and her eyes glowed a bright blue as she roared.

“What are you idiots staring at? Are you looking to die?”

All by the bench stared at them with a grin plastered on their face; even as their blood momentarily froze before subsiding as Sweetie Belle blushed and eyes dimming, turned back to her daughter. She had the biggest, warmest, smile as she gently nuzzled her foal.

They knew no matter how scary Sweetie Belle could get when angry; it was well-known amongst the group just how much she treasured them. And of all of them, Agent Belle’s heart was the purest, gladly bleeding for any of them if they needed support. Lyra began laughing as she watched the comical display, the trails on her face; the only sign she had been crying before.

The foal just giggled and cooed happily at her mama’s outburst. Like mother, like daughter after all. Twilight thought as she observed the group’s interactions. Button must be one proud papa. It’s almost time to begin, but while we wait for the rest, I’ll let them catch up. They need this.