• Published 23rd Jul 2020
  • 188 Views, 3 Comments

The Patrol's Last Mission - DougtheLoremaster



They protected the Princess without ever having been noticed. Now they've retired. When one of their own was murdered a year ago, they sort of drifted apart. Twilight has one last mission for the group of mercenaries known as the Royal Patrol.

  • ...
3
 3
 188

In Every Life, Rain Must Fall

The once brilliant sea-green colored fur of the mare was faded; dulled with the passing of time. She sat on a bench; the only bench in all of Ponyville. Her hooves hung over the edge; unlike how other ponies would sit upon it. Her mane carried a silver stripe showing her age. Across the way the mare watched a young foal being pushed on a playground carousel by a mare; resembling herself.

Lyra was a proud grandmare watching her adopted daughter playing with her foal. Time in Ponyville sure had changed since she had married Special Agent Sweetie Drops; though Lyra always called her Bonbon. A couple of seasons ago, her partner of twenty-five years had been laid to rest in the company of legends within Canterlot’s Royal Cemetery; for her service in Delta Horse. Sweetie Drops had served the crown on black ops, before retiring to be with Lyra.

Twenty-five years. For twenty-five years, their marriage had been blissful and wondrous. They had adopted an orphaned foal, and they had raised her with abundant adoration. Together they had taught her about the world and were there to support her every hoofstep of the way.

Lyra had even taken to writing fiction about a fantastical creature she had called a Human. At first, it was hard for Lyra, but with Bonbon’s support, she continued writing. Even though Bonbon was her only reader; she had never felt more on top of the world.

Bonbon had been there through everything; even going so far as to get Princess Twilight herself, to read Lyra’s book. Needless to say, Twilight was so tickled by the writing style she had personally promoted it for the masses. Within the week it had become a top-selling bestseller. But it had only been possible because Bonbon believed in her; even when she herself, hadn’t. And now Lyra sat alone on the old bench.

The wood was warped from age. The bench itself was nothing fancy. In fact, while the rest of Ponyville had embraced iron and metalworking; the bench’s rustic style seemed a bit peculiar to the residents. Nopony other than Lyra sat upon it, and even that was only once a week. However, Twilight had been adamant with her royal decree: The bench stays.

It was wooden, rickety, and crafted in a bygone era. The Princess never told the residents why, though many tried asking. She simply told them, only those who knew its importance would know why. Many thought it was odd. Lyra however, was beyond grateful for it. And now she sat, as she did once a week upon the old bench. She dangled her hooves over the side as she watched her granddaughter play. A sudden voice next to her almost made her jump.

“How are you holding up, Lyra?”

The voice was gentle and almost motherly. Lyra Heartstrings gave a soft smile and turned to face the speaker.

“Your Majesty I-”

The alicorn interrupted her.

“We’ve been over this, just call me Twilight. I’m not here as royalty Lyra, I’m here as your friend.”

Lyra’s eyes welled with tears, showing her appreciation. Every week for the past year, Twilight had taken a day off to visit Lyra and ask her how she was doing. It had never been revealed to the public; Bonbon’s occupation, or what she had done to ensure the safety of Equestria. Even more secretive had been Lyra’s involvement.

Agent Lyre had been a member of the Royal Patrol; a group of fifteen ponies who would watch the Princesses undercover while they were out in public. All fifteen were trained to take down any possible threat at any time. To everypony else, they looked like normal citizens of all ages and species. To the Princess, however, their involvement had been immeasurable.

“You have to keep going, you know.”

Lyra’s smile faded. Her eyes took on a hollowed look. Her pain showed on her face. It had been just one year ago that Bonbon had been murdered. Slain by a suspect she had once taken pity on years prior. Lyra had snapped. Within days, she had found the culprit and effectively erased all trace of them from existence in the most brutal of ways. Not even a bloodstain remained.

Twilight knew what had occurred. No otherpony had ever been told of the ghastly fate of the culprit; Twilight had seen to that. She had been the first to find Lyra at the grisly scene. She understood Lyra’s fragility and she understood what it would have taken to destroy her self discipline. What it would’ve taken for the unicorn to have gone to such lengths; such depravity.

Lyra’s depression had hit and hit hard. Not only was Bonbon gone, once Lyra had learned what she had done she had attempted to end her own life. She would have been successful too, if not for Twilight standing right there at the time.

“I-”

“No, Lyra. I won’t allow it.”

Every week, Twilight checked up on Lyra. And together they would sit on the bench, and chat. Though this time was a bit different. This was the one year anniversary of Bonbon's death. Twilight decided she couldn’t do it alone, and so she had requested some assistance, from some very familiar faces.