• Published 23rd Jul 2020
  • 188 Views, 3 Comments

The Patrol's Last Mission - DougtheLoremaster



They protected the Princess without ever having been noticed. Now they've retired. When one of their own was murdered a year ago, they sort of drifted apart. Twilight has one last mission for the group of mercenaries known as the Royal Patrol.

  • ...
3
 3
 188

Friends Can Make the Rain Fall Slower

“Sorry we’re late, Twilight.”

“Button you will address her as your majesty.”

“But mo-om!”

“No buts.”

Lyra’s eyes took on a new life. No way. Standing there were two members of the old patrol; Button Mash and Cream Heart, also known as Agent Gamer and Agent Mama. The two smiled at Lyra. Cream Heart gave a flirty laugh and winked suggestively at her.

“It’s been a while Lyre. How are you?”

She hasn’t changed a bit.

Button Mash grinned as well and turned towards Twilight, making sure to address her properly.

“Your Majesty, the girls said to tell you they’ll be here shortly. Retirement seems to have made us a bit lazy, my apologies.”

The girls? Wait. Surely he doesn’t mean…

“Vinyl hurry up! And knock it off with the mute act. Got tired of that five years ago!”

Octavia and Vinyl Scratch trotted up side by side. Vinyl lifted her glasses when Octavia wasn’t looking and winked at Lyra, much to her amusement. Tapping on Octavia’s shoulder, the former Agent Scratch pantomimed being unable to talk.

“Oh, you are just…”

Octavia glanced around at the group in desperation as even Twilight tried to keep a straight face at the display.

“A little help?”

Lyra couldn’t help it and began to laugh.

“Still the comedian, eh, Vinyl?”

Grinning cheekily, Vinyl took off her glasses and laughed. Her voice was surprisingly gentle, though containing a slight rasp.

“Couldn’t help it, Lyra. Tavi is just so cute when she’s miffed, as she puts it.”

Vinyl held up a hoof as Octavia sputtered in dismay, which Lyra gladly bumped with her own.

“Some things never change.”

Octavia, now fully flustered, turned away from them, and addressed Twilight.

“Ugh, those two, thick as thieves. Your Majesty, forgive the tardiness, we were busy spreading the word. ETA for Agents Muffin and Doctor is about five minutes. Others within fifteen minutes.”

Twilight grinned.

“I’m not your boss anymore, Octavia. Let’s drop the formalities. I’m just Twilight.”

Octavia seemed aghast at the thought.

“But you're royalty, I couldn’t possibly-”

Twilight gave a more roguish grin.

“Alright then. Let’s do it this way. Agent Strings, as Ruler of Equestria, I hereby order you to refer to me as Twilight from now on. Failure to do so will result in me being rather cross with you. Am I clear?”

“Yes, T-Twilight.”

Sighing, Twilight gave her a gentle hug; wrapping her wings around Octavia and whispering to her.

“Don’t worry, I know you are all business and mannerisms, but you’ll get used to it.”

As a pronounced blush began to spread across Octavia’s face she glanced over towards the bench. Vinyl was currently in the process of giving Lyra an energetic noogie while both laughed. Lowering her voice so only Twilight could hear, Octavia whispered to her.

“So..Uh...How’s Lyre doing? It’s been a year now, hasn’t it?”

Twilight nodded.

“She’s stable for now, but I thought maybe we could all show our support and give Bonbon one last hurrah. What do you think?”

Octavia nodded thoughtfully.

“Yes, Yes I think Vinyl and I can spare some time for such a worthy cause, Your Maje-”

The disapproving look in Twilight’s eyes caused her to immediately backtrack.

“Er-I mean, Twilight. Hm, we have visitors. I count two, on our six, a Pegasus and an Earthpony; judging by the hoofsteps.”

Twilight couldn’t see them, but she had little doubt of Octavia’s tracking skills. The musician had been one of the best scouts within the Patrol; tied only with her partner, Vinyl. Glancing over at Vinyl, Twilight made note of the two signaling between each other, by blinking and moving their eyes. Both eventually nodded slightly in agreement before Octavia whispered.

“All clear. It’s Muffins and The Doctor. No cause for concern. Wait-”

Twilight looked away from watching Lyra turn a brilliant shade of red, while Cream Heart whispered into her ear. Glancing down at Octavia, she asked curiously.

“What is it?”

Frowning, the former scout answered her.

“The Pegasus vanished. Her hoofsteps stopped and I don’t hear any wing flaps-”

Twilight blinked at her and her eyes went wide with surprise. She was sure nopony had been behind Octavia. Now, however, in the time it took to blink; there stood a grey Pegasus mare. On her flank was a well-known cutiemark of seven bubbles, though her eyes were not the normally seen wall-eyes they usually were. She winked roguishly at Twilight before tapping Octavia on the shoulder.

“Looking for me, Tavi?”

Whirling around at the sound of the silky voice, Octavia let out a shriek. Quick as a flash, the Pegasus had wrapped her hooves around Octavia in a fierce, yet warm, hug. Finding herself completely flustered by the actions of the now nuzzling Pegasus, Octavia sputtered out the name of her assailant.

“M-Muffins!”

Derpy Hooves, one of three professional assassins employed on the original Patrol; code-named Muffins, grinned up at her, and teasingly whispered.

“Yes, Captain?”

Octavia found herself staring into Derpy’s amber-colored irises, mere inches from her own. The seductive glance of Derpy made Octavia freeze as Derpy leaned closer to her. Just as she was about to kiss her, however, Derpy turned around and grinned cheekily at the thoroughly amused Vinyl Scratch, who was watching the display.

Apparently having been pushed too far, Octavia barked at her.

“Why does everypony insist on teasing me?”

Whirling back around to face her, Derpy gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek, causing Octavia’s face to drain of all color in shock.

“Who’s teasing Tavi? Though, I will be a bit late tonight. I have a contract, so providing it goes well, expect me twenty minutes late for dinner, ‘kay?”

Vinyl burst out laughing at the scene, while Octavia muttered in a defeated voice.

“Yeah. Fine. You’ll pay for teasing me like this though.”

Nodding, Derpy simply walked over towards Lyra slowly, calling back.

“Can’t wait!”

Stopping in front of Vinyl, Derpy giggled and blinked, her eyes going cross-eyed. Her voice changed to a sweet innocence.

“I just don’t know what went wrong!”

Blinking, her eyes returned to normal once more, and amidst the raucous laughter, she smiled. Every member of the Patrol was a trained mercenary, though they appeared to be normal citizens to onlookers. Nopony ever witnessed them in action, and they preferred it that way. Though their results had gone unnoticed by the public, they had been essential to allowing the Princess and her friends to achieve their goals.

However, they themselves were a circle of close-knit friends. They knew each other's skills, weaknesses, and strengths. Friendly competitions, and even cozy get-togethers, all were commonplace between them. And they were always aware of the status of each other. It had been common knowledge to them that they may not come home from any given mission. And because of that, they had become a family. What affected one, affected all. Though they all wore smiles, Twilight saw what lay behind them.

Thirty-five years; for thirty-five years, Twilight had been ruling Equestria. It hadn’t taken her long to learn and embrace the same secret Celestia had discovered: The Princess isn’t an all-knowing leader. No. The Princess is a mother.

As an Alicorn, her life was without end. Her job was not to issue commands and pull rank. Her job was to nurture, guide, to promote growth. She would outlive them all. To her; regardless of age, they were her children.

Even now staring down at the much older than her currently Octavia, it was no different. She heard her adoptive daughter’s sadness. And she knew. She knew what Bonbon’s murder had wrought upon the group. She understood why; the Patrol had been perfectly content with possibly dying in the line of duty.

Bonbon and Lyra had been retired and enjoyed twenty-five happy years together. Together they had adopted a daughter of their own and had proudly watched her grow and even find her own path in life. It would have hurt, but been fine had she perished while defending Equestria. But this had been cold-blooded retribution, from a suspect, Bonbon had willingly let go after jumping through hoops to clear their name. This had been unjustified. It had been unfair.

Staring down into Octavia’s weathered eyes, Twilight saw not a mare, but a young filly eagerly searching for comfort from her mama. Smiling, the Alicorn gave her another quick hug, whispering to her.

“Go on, go play with your friends, Octavia.”

“Huh?”

The Earthpony stared up at her in confusion. Twilight nudged her with her head.

“I said, dismissed Agent Strings, go on. Go talk to them.”