• Published 2nd Jul 2020
  • 1,004 Views, 24 Comments

The Sleepover Story - The_Incognito_Brony



When Rainbow Dash is the only one who shows up to Applejack's sleepover, there's no telling what could happen. An Equestria Girls Appledash story.

  • ...
2
 24
 1,004

Party of two

I was late. Again! Sure, I’m loyal to a fault, but that doesn’t always make me the most reliable of my friends. Heck, I’ve got stuff to do and other awesome people to see. Can’t be everywhere all at once, right?

You’d think having super speed would make time-keeping a damn sight easier, huh? Well, it doesn’t. I’m still always running behind, sometimes quite literally. Having powers sure does help when we’re facing some form of evil, Equestrian magic, but it doesn’t cut me any slack when I’m late to a friend’s sleepover.

And late to a friend’s sleepover was my exact dilemma that evening.

With my duffle bag in hand and the wind tumbling through my hair, I sprinted over to Sweet Apple Acres as fast as my legs would let me.

Yep, the sleepover was at Applejack’s place. I felt pretty lousy being late considering she’d never hosted a slumber party before; that was usually Pinkie’s job.

Scenarios ran through my mind as I continued my pursuit of the farm.

She’s gonna be so pissed that I’m late!

Urgh, she’ll probably give me the “attack eyebrows!”

Not that I’m complaining. It’s pretty hot when she does tha-

Just as my mind began to wander into unknown territory, I arrived at Applejack’s farmhouse. I immediately knocked on the large, wooden door, not giving a single thought to my windswept hair or reddening cheeks.

My stomach tightened as I heard footsteps approaching. I braced myself for the attack eyebrows, a southern colloquialism, or a smack on the head.

“Oh. Howdy, Dash” said Applejack in a surprised tone.

I was confused; very confused.

Is she trying to throw me off by acting all normal?

No attack eyebrows yet.

What happened to my head smack, huh?

I realised it was probably my turn to reply to my ambiguous friend, so I straightened myself up, caught the rest of my breath, and readied myself for the oncoming assault.

“H-hey, AJ. Super sorry I’m late. I was-“

“Late? Ya ain’t late, Rainbow. Heck, no one else is here yet.” Applejack interrupted as she leant up against the doorframe.

It had never happened before. I, Rainbow Dash, had arrived at a friend’s gathering before anyone else. It was completely unheard of, so I was naturally intrigued about everyone else’s whereabouts.

Still in shock, and frankly pretty taken with AJ’s stature, I found myself shaking back to reality to reply to my host.

“Huh? Really? Not late? Me?” I said finally.

“Pretty much sums it up, Sugarcube” the farm girl responded with a chuckle.

Dumbfounded for a second as I heard Applejack’s laugh, I unknowingly gave off a goofy little smile.

Man, that laugh of hers frickin kills m-

“Y’all comin’ in or what?”

I was absentminded again. I’m always sharp and focused; always! But that darn farm chick always seems to catch me off guard!

“Uh, yeah! Totally!” I managed to respond as I wandered into the farmhouse.

Tossing my bag into the corner, I took a moment to take in my surroundings. Sure, I’d been to Applejack’s plenty of times, but this was the first time any of us had slept there, including Rarity, AJ’s longest friend.

No one besides Rarity knew for sure what happened to Applejack’s parents, but we all guessed that it was a pretty awful event. I mean, my parents are a handful at the best of times, but losing them and having to go on without them while acting totally fine? I don’t know how that girl does it!

I never say it, ‘cause we’re rivals and all, but she’s pretty awesome.

The Apple’s farmhouse was just as you’d expect it to be. The sound of creaking wood resonated with every step, the smell of apples and farm animals seeped through the air, and it radiated a strong sense of belonging throughout.

Sounds lame, I know, but you always feel at home on the farm. Don’t know about everyone else, but that’s my take on it.

“Man. I’m always the late one! Wonder what’s keeping the others” I asked as I unlaced my sneakers.

“Ah’ve no idea, Dash” AJ replied in a somewhat baffled manner.

“How ‘bout you text ‘em all while Ah grab us something to drink? Tea okay?”

“You got it, boss” I said as I gave Applejack a mock salute.

I took my usual place on the couch as AJ wandered off into the kitchen, and I suddenly realised I hadn’t fully answered her question.

“And uh- Tea’s fine by the way” I answered at last.

Applejack turned to me, adjusted her hat, and propped herself lazily against the kitchen’s doorframe.

Damn, how does she make everything look so flawle-

“Milk and no sugar?” she asked in her sultry, southern tone.

“Yup. I’m sweet enough” I replied as I tried my hand at the “innocent” look.

After rolling her eyes and letting out a slight chuckle, Applejack walked off into the kitchen.

I watched her go for a second, but I clocked myself before my eyes started to wander a little too freely.

I reached into my pocket for my phone, selected our group chat, “The Rainbooms”, and sent the following message to our friends:

“Hey, guys. You’re all coming tonight, right? Waiting for more awesomeness to happen right about now!”

*DING*

Rarity responded almost immediately.

“Hello, darling. What is happening exactly? Where are you?”

Are you kidding me? She FORGOT?!

“Seriously, Rares? It’s AJ’s first time hosting a slumber party and I’m the only one here. You guys comin’ or what?” I responded.

*DING*

Another immediate response from Rarity. Odd...

“I’m ever so sorry, darling, but I won’t be able to make it this evening. I have dozens of new gowns to complete by Monday morning, and if I falter then my fall line will be ruined”.

What?! It’s December and she’s already working on next year’s fall line?! For Christ sak-

*DING*

A message from Fluttershy appeared, interrupting my train of thought.

“Oh dear, I’m afraid I can’t do anything tonight either. I’m needed at the shelter so that I can look after a sick litter of kittens that were brought in today. So sorry, Rainbow Dash”.

Urgh! C’mon, Fluttershy! Not you too?

I decided to reciprocate with my own response.

“Okay. Fine. Cool. No biggie, guys. Twi, Sunset and Pinkie are still coming, right?”

I felt a little sick to my stomach after asking the latter question. I had an underlying feeling that something was amiss with my friends, but what?

*DING*

It was Sunset Shimmer.

“Hey, Dash. Afraid I’m out of town this weekend. Bit of a last-minute decision by my folks. Hope you understand. See you Monday”.

WHAT?! Sunset too? Urgh! This is getting ridiculous!

*DING*

Twilight Sparkle was next to respond.

“Hello, Rainbow Dash. So sorry to disappoint, but I’m going to be spending my weekend in the library. I’ve got a very important book report to finish for extra credit, and it needs to be absolutely perfect. Sorry again”.

That egghead is going to be the death of me! Of course she’d be in the library all weekend! Where else would she be?!

*DING*

“DASHIE! SUUUPER SORRY FOR NOT REPLYING SOONER. Had my hands full of cake batter; the usual. ANYWHO, I’m babysitting the Cake twins tonight. I’m also hosting a HUGE party on Sunday! It’s gonna be CRAZY!!! But yeah, can’t make it. Have a super-duper FUNTASTIC time without me, though!”

P-Pinkie Pie too?! I can’t believe it! She NEVER misses a slumber party!

It was just as I feared. Each of our friends had other places to be that evening, and I was alone with Applejack.

Alone.

With Applejack.