• Published 14th Feb 2021
  • 595 Views, 1 Comments

A Royal Getaway - IronStories



Princess Celestia takes Queen Novo on a long deserved vacation. Wholesome fun hijinks ensue.

  • ...
 1
 595

Chapter 3: A Hippogriff in Manehattan

After a rather long flight from Mount Aris, Celestia and Novo finally arrived in Manehattan, one of Equestria's biggest and most prominent cities. Novo always wanted to visit this place, but her busy schedule wouldn't allow her. And now she can finally do so. But before she and Celestia could do that, they had to recover from their long journey. They headed for a hotel that Celestia booked for their trip. It was fairly large and luxurious.

"Wow, Celestia!" Novo looked in amazement. "This must have costed a wing and a leg! How did you get a room here?"

"I stay here whenever I am in Manehattan on royal business," Celestia said, "or any other occasion."

They soon checked into their hotel room and laid on their beds. Novo wanted to go explore the city, but her wings were sore, and so were her front legs and talons from carrying her luggage. So they decided to take this day to rest and recover from their flight. They ordered some food and told stories to each other. They even decided to relax in the swimming pool, where Novo showed off her swimming skills as a SeaPony. She and Celestia even got in a "How Long Can You Hold Your Breath Underwater" contest, though Novo had a unfair advantage, since SeaPonies don't need to go up for air frequently. After that, they went back to their room and went to bed, ready for a big day of fun and excitement.

Morning arrived, and the Sun was positively beaming. Celestia was still sacked out. Novo, on the other hand, was well and wide awake, eager to get the day started.

"Come on, Celie!" Novo tried to wake her friend up. "We got so much planned today!"

Celestia struggled to get up, but she begrudgingly did. Her mane was messy, drool ran along her face, and her eyelids were still a tad heavy. "Let me get some coffee first..." she mumbled.

"Already got it!" Novo beamed, handing her a cup of coffee.

"Thanks, Novo." Celestia took a sip. She noticed Novo was very chipper today, a sight she never expected to see.

"I see where Skystar gets her energy from." She chuckled.

"I'm just eager to do all sorts of exciting things today!" Novo exclaimed. "There's so much that Manehattan has to offer! What should we do first?"

"Well first I need to get ready. You can wait in the lobby or go get some breakfast. Then we'll discuss what we'll do."

"Oh, okay then." Novo replied. "I am a bit hungry anyway. I'll go get us some breakfast!"

Novo darted out of the room and headed for the breakfast bar. She hadn't eaten anything since dinner the previous night, and she'll settle for anything. Fortunately, the hotel had a big breakfast bar that served almost everything you could think of. Novo went ahead and made herself and Celestia some chocolate chip waffles, and grabbed several biscuits and premium Manehattan bagels. Celestia headed to the bar where she saw Novo. The Queen waved to her, and they found a suitable table next to a window that had a great view of the city.

"These bagels are delightful!" Novo said, gorging herself. "They're almost as good as the ones back at home."

"I'm sure they are." Celestia was completely surprised at Novo's huge appetite.

"So anyway, how should we go about the day?"

"Let's see..." Celestia pulled out the list of things Novo wanted to do on vacation. "Well, the Equestria Avian Sanctuary is already open, and you said you also wanted to do some shopping, so we can defiantly knock those out. And there's plenty of shops I know you'll want to visit, and by the time we are done, the Coloratura concert will be ready to start. Then, after the concert, we'll be able to catch the next train and head over to Vanhoover."

"Sounds like a good plan!" Novo said, finishing off the last of her big breakfast. She and Celestia headed out the hotel and made their first stop to the Equestria Avian Sanctuary. As they did, many of the ponies were staring at Novo. They had never seen a hippogriff in their city before, and they were in awe at her appearance. Novo knew they meant well, but she began to feel a tad uncomfortable. She wasn't use to so many ponies looking at her.

At last, they made it to the Equestria Avian Sanctuary. It was a large sanctuary for all kinds of birds, from the tiniest hummingbird to the biggest condor, and even housed magical birds like the majestic phoenix and even the dreaded cockatrice. Novo always wanted to visit this place, especially to get insight on how to help some of Mount Aris' population of tropical birds, which have started returning after the hippogriffs resurfaced.

They entered the building and were greeted by a light orange pegasus with a blue mane and a birdhouse Cutie Mark. The sounds of a thousand chirps, squawks, and tweets were heard all across. Novo was in awestruck, and so was Celestia.

"Hello!" the pegasus greeted them. "My name is Fleetfeather. Welcome to the Equestria Avian Sanctuary! I heard you two would be visiting."

"Hello my dear!" Novo said. "I'm Queen Novo, and I assume you know who Princess Celestia is. It's such an honor to be here."

"And I'm pleased to have you here too!" Fleetfeather replied. "I'm glad to have a hippogriff visit our sanctuary, let alone the Queen!"

Fleetfeather gave Celestia and Novo a tour of the facility. Each habitat was constructed to fit a certain bird's needs and the staff works tirelessly to ensure that they are happy and healthy. There was a large area where the birds could fly around and hang onto branches, and guests could even feed and pet them. Novo was particularly excited. She started whistling to the birds that came near her, and, surprisingly enough, they whistled back. Almost as if they were having a conversation with each other.

Celestia and Fleetfeater were in awestruck.

"Novo," Celestia said in amazement, "did you just... talk to the birds?"

"Of course I did." the Queen replied. "Hippogriffs have the ability to communicate and understand birds of all kinds. We have the most wonderful conversations. And Fleetfeather, honey, they told me that they are having the most lovely time at your sanctuary, and that you are your staff are doing a good job in caring for them."

"Awwww, really?" Fleetfeather blushed. "We do our best to make sure our feathered companions are getting the care they need."

Novo was quite happy to hear that.

"You know, maybe we could ask for your help on a little matter."

"Oh, certainly." Novo said. "We have plenty of time. What's troubling you, dear?"

Fleetfeather took Novo and Celestia to a special part of the building where they house their magical birds. Apparently, one of the phoenixes they have, named Pyro, has not been doing well. He just sits on his perch and doesn't interact with the other phoenixes. He also hasn't been eating much either, instead feverishly pecking at his wings, and the staff were fearing the worst. Fleetfeather believes that Novo might be able to talk to him and see what was wrong, and Celestia, having a phoenix as a pet, might also be able to help in the matter.

At last, they arrive in the phoenix enclosure, and see Pyro sitting on his perch, looking rather down. Celestia noticed that he felt a tad cold, at least by phoenix standards, and Novo tried to talk to him She whistled to him and he started to chirp back at her, and they had a small conversation. Fleetfeather was anxious and a tad nervous. Soon, their conversation finished.

"So what's wrong with him? Is it anything severe?" Fleetfeather asked.

"No, it's nothing major." Novo replied. "But he told me that he's got some ash-mites in his wings, and he's worried that if he were to fly with the other phoenixes, he might spread them. He just needs his wings cleaned, that's all."

"Also," Celestia added, "his heat perch seems to me worn out. He felt a little cool to the touch by phoenix standards. I suggest maybe getting him a new heat perch too."

"Oh, thank goodness!" Fleetfeather breathed a sigh of relief. "I nearly gave myself a panic attack! We'll definitely schedule him for his wing cleaning."

Afterwards, it was time to leave. Fleetfeather thanked Celestia and Novo for their help with Pyro, and Novo even suggested a couple hippogriffs to come join so that they can help the staff out. The pair then left the Equestria Avian Sanctuary, and Novo pulled out her list and crossed that part out.

"That's one thing knocked off the list!" She said. "And we still have plenty of time to hit up some shops before the concert!"

"Great!" Celestia added. "I'll show you some of my favorite stores. I guarantee you'll love them."

Novo was excited. They headed back into the city to check out several stores. Most of them were big, high-end stores that sold expensive and lavish things, but some of them were small little places that sold unique items. They stopped by Marecys, where Novo bought some lavish beauty products and perfume, and a couple souvenirs for Skystar. She even got some things for her sister Ocean Flow, her niece Silverstream, and her nephew Terramar. It seemed that all that shopping would mean that they would be late to the concert, but Celestia helped keep track of time.

After the shopping spree, Celestia and Novo checked the clock tower.

"We made good time." Celestia said. "Only 20 minutes until the show begins."

"Excellent!" Novo was worried she spent too much time in the shops. "What do you say we drop our stuff off at the hotel and head to the concert?"

"Of course. But let's be quick about it!" The Royals then headed back to the hotel as fas as they could, almost like a race. They eventually headed back with 15 minutes to spare, so they took a little bit of time to quickly rest before heading back out to the concert hall. And right on the nick of time too.

Novo managed to get 2 VIP tickets to this concert as a gift, but she was so busy that she was worried that she couldn't use them. But now she was able to see it with her best friend. As soon as they got in, Novo was pretty excited, but at the same time a bit down. Celestia noticed pretty quick.

"What's wrong, Novo?" she asked. "Aren't you having a good time?"

"I am, Celestia." Novo replied. "It's just I was hoping to take Skystar to this concert. She's a big, big Countess Coloratura fan. She has a few records and even a poster of her back home, and she would have loved to meet her."

"I have an idea" Celestia told Novo. "Maybe we can see her when the concert is over. You did have VIP tickets."

Novo liked the idea. Soon the lights dimmed and the special effects took hold. Thousands of ponies screamed and applauded as the Countess made her appearance. Novo hadn't heard so much noise before, not since a pod of humpback whales visited Seaquestria. It felt a bit overwhelming.

"Hello Manehattan!" the Countess announced. "Are you ready for the biggest show for Equestria's biggest city?"

The crowd road in applause and excitement. Novo tried to fit in by applauding too, and Celestia found it quite adorable.

"Excellent! Now prepare for the Spectacle!"

Coloratura would go on to perform some of her hit songs as the crowd cheered on. Novo enjoyed the atmosphere and cheered on too, even if this type of music really isn't her cup of tea. But Skystar would certainly be into it. And throughout the whole concert, Novo kept thinking about her daughter, and she began to worry a little. Giving Skystar so much responsibly while she played around for a few days. But she needed to take a vacation, and Celestia was here to help her feel at ease. But she just had that gut feeling.

Finally, after a few more songs, the concert ended and the VIPs were able to enter backstage. Celestia and Novo joined in, and many were in awe at the fact that not only was the Princess here, but the Queen from Mount Aris was too. The first VIP holder got to see Coloratura for about 10 minutes, where you get the chance to talk and hang out with Equestria's biggest pop star. Celestia and Novo waited patiently, even though they were on a strict time-crunch. They had to check out of the hotel and catch the train to Vanhoover in roughly a half hour, so they couldn't really dawdle too much. Fortunately, they were next in line.

"Next!" The bouncer announced.

"That's our que! Let's go!" Celestia anxiously said.

They entered the room and they say Coloratura in a less flashy outfit than the one she had on stage, looking more relaxed. She was sitting on a chair and ready to chat with her fans.

"Welcome! I can't wait to chat with you-"

Coloratura was in utter shock and awe that Princess Celestia has visited her, along with one of her friends. She showed her respects by getting out of her seat and bowing.

"Your majesty!" She said. "I had no idea you were here!"

"It's okay, Coloratura," Celestia was a tad flattered, "I'm not here on royal business. I'm here with my friend on her vacation."

Coloratura looked at Novo. She had never seen a hippogriff before, and she was blown away by the Queen's beauty.

"Sorry for staring. I hope I didn't offend you or anything." Coloratura said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Queen Novo, the ruler of the hippogriffs. You didn't do anything wrong, honey. I've kind of gotten use to ponies looking at me a bit. Your music is awe-inspiring, Countess Coloratura."

"Aw, thanks!" Coloratura was flattered. "I have a lot more creative freedom with my songs now that I got a better manager. By the way, you can call me Ra-Ra if you want."

Novo and Coloratura continued to talk to each other until Celestia noticed the time. They needed to get going soon.

"Sorry to cut our chat short, my dear Coloratura," Celestia interupted, "but Novo and I need to head out soon. I hope you understand."

"It's fine. I have to get ready for my next show soon."

"Wait, Ra-Ra!" Novo had one last thing to say. "I need to tell you about something."

"What is it, Queen Novo?" Coloratura asked.

"Would you ever think about coming to Mount Aris to perform? My daughter is a huge fan of yours and she would love to meet you, especially with her birthday coming up."

"I'd love to!" The Countess replied. "I'll ask my manager about it. I should be able to. I would love to visit your kingdom." She then handed Novo a poster that she signed, and it even included her trademarked hoofsie sign too. "You can give this to your daughter."

"Aw, thank you dear!" Novo beamed. "She's gonna love this."

The Royals stepped out of the room and made their way back to the hotel to get their things and check out. And not a moment too soon, for when they arrived at the Manehattan Station, the train just arrived. They boarded and headed straight for Vanhoover. As they took their seats, they looked at Novo's list.

"Enjoying your vacation so far, Novo?" Celestia asked.

"Enjoying it? This is the most fun I've ever had in years!" Novo chirped with joy. "If only Waverider was here to enjoy it with me. How about you?"

"Anytime I get to spend with you is a joy." Celestia replied. "Now then, what shall we do when we arrive at Vanhoover? We have 'Visit Neighagra Falls' and 'Dive with the sea creatures'. What do you want to do first?"

"The first thing I wanna do when we get there is lay down." Novo yawned. "It's been such a long day, and I need my beauty sleep."

Celestia chuckled. "Well, it's your vacation." She watched the stars light up the night sky while Novo started dozing off. They had a big day today, and they certainly could use some rest. The train continued forth and ultimately arrived at Vanhoover on schedule. Celestia woke Novo up from her nap, and they got their things and checked into the cabin that they rented for their stay. After unpacking, they went to bed, worn out, but satisfied. And there was still more fun awaiting them, so getting some rest for tomorrow was the best approach.