• Published 28th Jun 2020
  • 3,440 Views, 62 Comments

A Rifting Rebirth - Undead Night Fury



On my way back from the movies, I was mugged. Like the idiot I was, I chased him down and ended up getting shot. I woke up... but I shouldn’t have.

  • ...
8
 62
 3,440

A Rifting Rebirth - Friendship is Magic

My name is Alexander Blaze, and I’ve got one really weird story for you all. You will likely think this didn’t happen or that I'm insane, but what I've written here actually happened to me.

It all started when I first saw the new Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom trailer. The moment I saw the Indoraptor I fell in love with it. Immediately after finishing the trailer I went online and ordered tickets to one of the first showings I could.

Over the next few months it was all I could talk about with my friends, I couldn’t wait for the release date. Finally after 3 long months of waiting I was walking into the theatre to watch it. Sitting bored through the first half of the movie I finally got to see the Indoraptor in all its glory. Watching the Indoraptor fight Blue in the final showdown before getting impaled on the trikes horns made me sad.

Soon the credits were rolling and left walking out of the theatre and out into the parking lot beginning my walk home. As I was walking past the mall when I was slammed into the ground hard. Before I knew what was happening, my wallet was torn out of my pocket, and I heard someone sprint off. Getting up, shaking my head to reorient myself before going after the fucker.

Running after him, struggling to catch up, as I had never been very athletic. However, I knew my local area rather well, and I took a shortcut that enabled me to gain a lot of ground, enough for me to snatch at his clothes in desperation.

Then he turned and pulled a gun on me, I stopped in shock and frantically tried to get away from the weapon, before three loud bangs rocked my world. There was a terrible pain in my chest and I collapsed to the ground, gasping for breath for a while before I lost consciousness.

===---+---===

Waking to utter blackness, I looked around, seeing nothing.

‘Where am I? Am I dead? Is this the afterlife?’ I wondered.

Suddenly, out of the darkness, a little, bright light appeared in front of me, then began dancing around my palms, as if it wanted me to touch it. Tentatively, I brushed a finger over it, and was blinded by a moment of agony. It felt like I was being boiled alive. Every fibre of my body screamed in protest, pleading for the pain to stop. Instead, my mind was just overloaded, and I lost consciousness. Again.

===---+---===

Groaning a bit as I returned to consciousness. Groggily trying to remember what happened, after a few moments of struggling my eyes snapped open in shock as It finally hit me and I panicked.

I’d just been shot! My hands shot to my chest, frantically trying to feel the bullet holes. But... there weren’t any. Instead, I was introduced to a very different problem. Instead of my regular arms, I was graced with the slightly terrifying sight of black-scaled arms with three fingers that ended in long-taloned claws.

I won’t lie, I screamed when I saw that I had scaly limbs instead of my normal arms.

“What... what happened to me?!” I yelled, feeling something hanging off my lower body and trying to turn and look behind me, I ended up on my back dizzily looking down at what I recognized as a long muzzle, looking up at what I realized was a long tail, "I... I have a tail?!"

After a few hours of panically examining my new body I remembered recent memories of something I had watched just several hours ago passed through my brain. It took a moment to click, but I realized that I was an Indoraptor. My brain froze as that registered, and I started to freak out even more. How had this happened?! What would happen to me? Would I be hunted down by the army and killed? Captured and put in a zoo? Forced to kill people against my will?

Eventually, my brain just decided ‘no’, and shunted all of those problems to the side, which allowed me to slowly take in my surroundings and become... not ‘satisfied’ with my situation. Just simply acknowledging that it had happened, and that I was, for better or worse, stuck like this.

Looking around, noticing that I was laying in the middle of a large ravine. There was a large forest above me, nestled on one of the sheer cliffs that trapped me down here. Twisting my head to a degree that was impossible for a human, I looked straight behind me. The top of the cliff to that side was bare, although there was a large cave at its base.

Struggling to get up on unstable, unfamiliar legs, I attempted to take a step... only to face-plant my muzzle into the ground.

“Ugh,” I groaned, before getting an idea. Resting a moment, I waited before making another attempt to stand again. This time, I used my new tail to balance myself. Taking a small step using my tail as a counterbalance, and it actually worked! Letting out a small yip of happiness I got to work.

Slowly making my way towards the cave entrance when I noticed a familiar crystalline tree inside it. It looked uncannily like the Tree of Harmony from My Little Pony. Cautiously entering the cave to get a closer look at the crystalline tree, keeping a close eye on my surroundings in case of danger. Slowly approaching the tree, I examined it, finding two marks near the base of the trunk of the tree.

“It can’t be!” I exclaimed in shock, only now noticing that my voice was deeper than before. Shaking my head lightly I checked again.

It was definitely the Tree of Harmony. My brain froze, I started to freak out again at the impossibility of it. Backing away from the tree I turned and ran out of the cave tripping over something. Looking down I noticed a tiny golden key of some kind.

Picking it up, I saw it had a picture of a sun and moon on one side, and some kind of floating island on the other side. Odd. Placing the strange key back on the ground next to the cave entrance I left the cave.

Looking up, I noticed the sky was getting darker. The sun was setting, and I saw something that made my heart stop for a minute. Looking up at the moon, I saw the Mare in the Moon.

”... Well, there’s no denying it now.” I mumbled to myself. I was in Equestria.

“This must be before the show, as Luna hasn’t been redeemed yet,” I mumbled to myself quietly, now knowing that there are other things here more deadly than me.

===---+---===

Over the next few weeks, I learned how to use my new body. After almost starving, I also learned how to hunt, being extremely careful to only kill non-sentient life. Being very aware that almost everything in this world was self-aware, and I was not a murderer; but if I had to defend myself, I wouldn’t hold back.

However, I was not alone. I’m almost sure that I was spotted by Zecora a few times, but I never saw her outright. There was only the rustle of branches and leaves when there was no wind, and the occasional flash of black and white. Was she studying me, maybe?

I also discovered that, unlike the Indoraptor in the movie, I had the camouflage ability of the Indominus Rex. It wasn’t straight-up invisibility though. It only worked when I kept stock-still, and even then, it did better while I was still hidden somehow. Standing around in broad daylight? No, that wouldn’t work at all. Still, once I had discovered it, I did my best to train until I was fairly capable of using it.

Before I knew it, a month had passed since I woke up as an indoraptor. After some thought I had decided to take on the name Phantom instead of keeping my old human name. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, and all that. Over the last few weeks I had used my camouflage ability to sneak to the edge of the forest from time to time. Yesterday, I made the trip to the edge of the forest camouflaged and as I sat in the shadows I had overheard that it was nearly time for the one-thousandth summer sun celebration.

And so, I sat near the edge of the Everfree forest, waiting for things to happen. Eventually, I spotted Twilight and Spike’s carriage land, and the guards leave shortly after.

Now all I had to do was wait until Nightmare Moon returned. So, I slunk away into the trees, knowing that I had hours and hours until anything interesting happened, so I had enough time to hunt. Making my way through the everfree silently, like a shadow listening for heartbeats, smelling for scents. Blinking rapidly my vision changed allowing me to see in thermal, now able to see the heat of my prey, a deer. Moving slowly towards my prey stalking it, carefully so as to not alert it to my presence. Listening to its calm heartbeat knowing he didn’t know I was hunting it.

When he was leaning down to eat more grass I made my move. Rushing the deer alerting it to my presence but it was already to late I had already pounced. Digging my sickle claw into the soft underbelly quickly disemboweling it, the deer screamed(idk what else to call it?) in pain as I let my instincts overtake my rational side of my brain and began feasting on the dying animal. Digging my muzzle up into the deers chest and snap my jaws onto the animals barely beating heart tearing it out and swallowing it whole. Finishing my meal I came to my senses as my bestial instincts to subside and I looked down at the remains of my meal before heading to the nearby river to clean off the blood and gore before heading back to the edge of the forest to wait.

It was late in the night when I returned with a full belly, I only had to wait a few hours before I looked up and noticed the Mare in the moon disappear and heard Nightmare Moon’s maniacal laughter in the distance.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted Rainbow Dash as she tried to fly after her, and I knew it was game time. Seeing the mane six approach and then enter the forest, creeping silently after them, keeping to the shadows as much as possible. It took all my nascent skill in stealth to keep hidden, especially from Pinkie Pie. Who nearly caught me several times when suddenly I saw the cliff collapse, sending the mane six tumbling down the cliffside.

Things went normally until the manticore. I could easily tell that something was off, as events started to deviate from those of the show. When Rarity bucked it in the face, instead of roaring, it took a swipe at her with its deadly claws. Twilight was able to pull her away with magic just in time. Knowing that their only chance was if I intervened to save them. So, while Applejack and Rainbow Dash took their shots at it, carefully I snuck up behind it and was prepared when Fluttershy yelled “Wait!”

That’s when the manticore took its chance, charging Fluttershy while she had her back turned. Taking that as my cue, and rapidly closing the distance between myself and the manticore in a bolt of black lightning, my camouflage dropping. Tackling the monster, the two of us rolled away into the trees, clawing at each other, and allowing the mane six to cross unimpeded.

Separating, the manticore struck out at my left side. I saw the strike coming and dodged to the right before backing up and trying to form a strategy. However, I’d forgotten about the manticore's tail. It snapped out and stung me in the thigh, making me yelp in pain.

However, committing to that attack had given me an opening I could use. And so, I did, punching it twice in the face as hard as possible, stunning it. “That should keep it down for a while,” I thought to myself. A small part of me wanted to end the hunt and feast on my prey, but I knew I had to catch up with the mane six, as something was interfering with the events of the show. After quickly making sure the manticore was truly unconscious and wouldn’t follow us.

I turned to start making my way back to the main cast, but my right leg gave out and I collapsed. The sting hadn’t been as light as I’d thought, and my entire leg was numb and practically dead weight. Thankfully, I still had full control over my three other limbs, allowing me to limp off after the mane six.

Limping along I quickly found the mane six at the trees a few minutes later. Thankfully, nothing exciting happened outside of Pinkie Pie’s song. Tripping over a hidden root I muzzle planted into the dirt.

“Urk!” I let out a groan of pain while I struggled to get back up.

There was a collective gasp from multiple people nearby. Then I heard some quiet talking off to the side. I just lay there for a bit, letting the pain fade slightly.

“Oh my gosh, you poor thing!” Said a vaguely familiar voice.

Looking up I saw none other than Fluttershy looking in horror at my injured leg. To my surprise she looked about a third of my size, she was tiny compared to me. Glancing down at my leg, I saw blood was leaking out of the wound and running down my right hind leg. Honestly, it looked worse than it felt, but not being able to move the limb probably contributed to the ‘injured animal’ look.

Looking back up at Fluttershy and saw she had run back to the others and started ordering them around while I just lay there. After a few minutes, the ponies hesitantly approached me with various items, such as vines and huge leaves. A bright light nearly blinded me for a moment before I noticed Twilight’s horn light up, and felt a fuzzy feeling coming from my hind leg, drawing out what I assumed was the manticore’s venom.

After she was done, she immediately backed off, smelling of what I assume was fear. I was then treated by Fluttershy, who placed the leaf onto my wound and wrapped the vines around my hind leg, making a makeshift bandage.

“Thank you…” I said softly, looking up at Fluttershy. There was another loud gasp from everyone.

“You… You can speak?!” Rainbow Dash asked, I glanced over at her hovering off to the side.

“Yes?” I said glancing around nervously looking for any threats.

“We need to keep moving! We are running out of time!” Twilight said to the other ponies.

Struggling a moment to get up to follow as well, getting some strange looks from the ponies. They look at each other before looking back at me nervously.

“What… what are you doing, mister?” Fluttershy asked shyly.

“I am coming with you. I don’t like how that manticore attacked you and want to make sure you ponies get to wherever you’re going in one piece.” I said, getting to my hands... err... paws.

“Uh…” Twilight looked nervously at the other ponies.

“I could help protect you from the other inhabitants of the forest. Not many of the other creatures will want to attack me.” I said softly, trying to convince them to take me along.

“Uh… okay?” Twilight said, looking at Fluttershy.

The ponies started making their way deeper into the forest while I limped behind them at a slight distance. All of them looked at me over their shoulders from time to time, probably as a mix of concern for my wound and fear of me. Shortly afterwards, things took a turn for the worse when I heard a scream of terror up ahead. Quickly running ahead, arriving on the scene I found Steven Magnet, the sea serpent, brutally ripped apart.

There was blood and guts everywhere, I turned and saw the mane six frozen in terror. I was about to try to get them moving when I spotted a small pack of Timberwolves sneaking up on the stunned ponies.

Tackling the nearest Timberwolf, before yelling, “Run! Get out of here! I’ll keep them busy!” They jumped and got moving.

Biting into the neck of the Timberwolf, while, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the mares run across the river. Shattering the Timberwolf, I had in my jaw, before I turned to find another target when one attacked me from the side. The Timberwolf tackled me to the ground, slashing my side open. Letting out a small roar of pain, I turned and slashed the Timberwolf, shattering it. It took me a good ten minutes to finish off the pack when I realized that I would never catch up with the mane six while in the forest. Fortunately, I knew some shortcuts after spending months in this cursed forest and went straight to the castle, arriving in the room where I knew Twilight would confront Nightmare Moon well before anyone else did.

Utilizing my camouflage, I hid in a dark corner of the room, doing my best to see everything while remaining unseen. Losing track of time, I didn’t know how long I had to wait before I heard the mane six enter the other room. Soon enough, I heard a commotion in the other room, and saw NMM appear with Twilight.

I could feel something wasn’t right with Nightmare Moon. The look in her eyes wasn’t how the show had displayed it. Watching as the two ponies charged at each other, trying to find an opening to help. It was just after Twilight teleported that I saw something was wrong. Nightmare Moon charged a mana blast with her horn, aiming at Twilight.

I knew that Twilight had no hope of surviving such a blast. Feeling something surge inside of me and I moved as fast as I could, dropping my cloak. Quickly tackling twilight out of the way, twisting myself so that I would land on my good side.

Letting out a roar of agony as I crashed into the wall hard, while Twilight landed off to the side. I blacked out for a few moments before I groggily awoke to Nightmare Moon blabbering to Twilight about how she had killed Twilight’s pet lizard.

I was feeling really woozy when I thankfully heard the rest of the mane six run into the room. Knowing she was going to be safe, I allowed myself to black out during Twilight's speech about the Elements of Harmony.

===---+---===

When I woke up, I found that I was in the corner of a room, everything was so small. Peering out the window that was conveniently placed near my corner, saw it was daytime now. When I glanced down at my body, I saw that I was wrapped in various bandages, which stretched all across my sides and right hindleg. Nosing the band-aids softly sniffing them, I could smell the scent of various medicine coating my wounds.

“G-Good morning” A familiar voice said softly from the stairway.

Looking over to the voice and saw Fluttershy on the stairs looking at me. She hesitantly walked over to me and checked my bandages before redressing them.

“What happened?” I asked her, tilting my head confused.

“Well, when you tackled Twilight out of the way, she landed on your bad side, which only made the wound worse,” she told me.

“What happened next?” I asked.

“After that, the rest of us arrived, and Twilight made a big speech about friendship, before summoning the elements of harmony. We blasted Nightmare Moon with the elements and saved both princesses...”

And so, she continued to explain what happened during my impromptu sleeping session. When she had finished telling me, I noticed that it was getting dark outside. Still feeling woozy from my injuries, I laid my head back onto my paws and fell asleep.

Author's Note:

This is my part of the riftverse series started by Sleepysaurus Rex over on FFN you should go read the start of the series Trial by Lightning there. You can join us on the discord server here: Riftverse Server just a heads up however that this is NOT an MLP server it is a riftverse server and there are people there who don't like MLP!

===---+---===

Updated: 6/26/2022 3:40 PM EST - Rewrite posted!