• Published 28th Jun 2020
  • 2,132 Views, 106 Comments

Sunset of Star Strider - ScopeEva



When she fled Canterlot, Sunset travelled so much further then she thought possible, into a galaxy so much larger then any first thought. Yet with her homecoming, she finds that galaxy has not left Equestria alone. But ambition only sees opportunity.

  • ...
1
 106
 2,132

Chapter 5 - A World in a Bottle in a Ship - Part 1/4

Sunset could not help but grin in mischievous glee as she looked back at the gathered group of now human shaped ponies… and one changeling.

That was an oddity she would need to investigate later.

Each were stumbling forward, a little shaky on their two long legs, not unlike freshly born fawns. That was kind of amusing by itself, however what Sunset truly relished was their faces; each looked up and around with disbelieving but wondrous stares at a sight they couldn’t quite make sense of.

Sunset herself couldn’t help but lose herself in the view for a few minutes too. How vast empty meadows filled with wild flowers, rolling hills, scenic sparkling rivers and lakes of perfectly blue water, distant mountain like formations all blended together occasionally intersecting with roads, regularly dotted with villages or individual homes and a few scattered patches of farmland. And then it just all curved up. The horizon never visible as the land gently peeled upwards until it was directly overhead and then started to curve back down again towards you from the other side. But what was more, it wasn’t some product of universal laws and nature’s slow work, it was made, crafted by thinking and relatively mortal minds.

Again she looked back to her new companions. Their faces mixed with barely believing fascination, wonder and just a touch of fear - not to mention a little vertigo – as they looked up into the sky and at the ground above them, eyes falling around in circles as they surveyed the lush cylindrical vista before them.

“That look’s never going to get old,” she murmured to herself, empathetically basking in their sense of awe, remembering all too well when she first emerged out of the underworks and service tunnels below, into the light of the habitat.

The break in the silence, however small, seemed to break the spell the sight wove over Cadance’s faculties. Her now muzzle-less head turning slowly to look at the grinning woman, she struggled to articulate her thoughts.

“Sunset… how… what is this?” Cadance stumbled out her question uneasily.

Everyone began looking to Sunset to answer the question Cadance had so helpfully voiced for them, as vague as it is.

Sunset merely shrugged, grin growing cocky and gestured to the view before them. “Told you. This, is the colony ship Star Strider. Flagship of the forty ninth galactic colonisation fleet; Endless Venture. Locally? Cylinder A, section two, generally known as Catalonia District. That little city over there? Great Sticks. Don’t ask me where the name comes from, believe me, I tried pretty damn hard to find out and came up empty anyway,” she explained, as one thumb stuck out pointing out across the glimmering lake at the small city with its shining spires beyond. Dropping her arm she turned back to look around for herself once more, before adding her own thoughts more wistfully. “Quite the view isn’t it? Been living here years and… and I could still just… stand here for hours looking at it.”

“We’re on a ship? Just… how?! And the sky, or the ground, how can it just… wrap around like that?! Without falling… at least the water should be,” Shining sputtered out in turn, mind reeling as it struggled to comprehend the seemingly impossible sight.

“And just how big is this ship? How could anyone possibly build something this big?! And this is only one section you said? Only one ship in a fleet?!” Sunburst – uneasily stumbling up next to Shining and decked out in a more human fitting variant of his usual star spangled robes – asked far more excitedly and looking very interested in the answers to all their questions.

With a continuously excitedly smug grin answered simply, “Approximately thirty seven kilometres long, a bit over five wide and three tall. As for the how of,” she paused to gesture all around her at the scenery that curved up and over them, “that takes a little explaining.”

“C-c-c-can we m-maybe start w-with why the sky, uh, the ground? The…. why isn’t it falling on us?!” a young mare - presumably an accountant of some sort going by her scales and coins cutie-mark embroidered on her rather official looking blazer - stuttered out while staring up with visible agitation and fear behind her eyes.

Sunset could not quite hold back the giggle that worked its way out from her lips. The chastising glance from Cadance certainly helped her cut it off though.

“Don’t worry! The whole place has been like this since long before I got here and I’ve been living on Star Strider a good twenty years. The ground isn’t going to fall down on us or anything,” Sunset loudly and confidently clarified, using her dismissiveness over the issue to help put everything to rest. It didn’t seem to work too well but she continued anyway with a shrug. “Now as to why, gravity doesn’t exist out in space. Sorta. The details get complicated. Point is, normally you need a planet like ours for that, but great big balls of rock and dirt are expensive and super slow to move. So instead you have to get creative and, well, create it. Imagine! You got a bucket full of water on the end of a rope. You swing that bucket around in a circle and it creates a constant force on the water inside so whichever way the bucket swings, it stays inside, pinned to the bottom. Now instead of a bucket, imagine you have a giant cylinder. You spin that cylinder at a nice constant speed and everything sticks to the insides like it was the ground. That’s… well that’s what you’re looking at right now!” she explained with somewhat staged excitement and more than a few wild gestures.

It was all old news to her, but she recalled just how mind bending it was the first time it had been explained to her. Sunset could even imagine she had a similarly half disbelieving look of astonishment back then the same way her audience did.

“This… this is amazing!” Sunburst cried out as his sense of wonder won out over his trepidation and he stumbled forward as if trying to get a closer look at it all. “It’s absolutely immense! And all…. Artificial? These Earthlings created all of this? Even the gravity! Ha ha! Just think about it, using centrifugal force for something so mundane, that we simply take for granted from birth. And on such a scale… though I suppose it would have to be if they didn’t want the tangential force from the rotation to be noticeable. I wonder how long it took to build.”

“Sure did. They don’t think small, and not just because some of them are twenty or so metres long whales. Colonisation is a big task. They’re building a whole civilisation from scratch every handful of decades. This isn’t even the only ship, there’s a small fleet of them travelling alongside the Star Strider. Fortunately for us, that means there’s plenty of cracks for us to fall into and hide. Plenty of scraps left over for us to build ourselves up with.”

“And that’s what you’ve been doing, haven’t you? All these years, learning from these people…” Cadance said as realisation dawned on her, and she looked back over the room with a smidge of amusement. “It’s no wonder you’ve built yourself a laboratory here.”

“And where you’ve been able to build your army in secret,” Sombra added sharply, a small grin breaking out when his words caused no small number of eyes to look between Sunset and him uneasily. “Though I fail to see where exactly that promised force is now.”

Sunset did not like the negative attention, but she had been expecting this. And desperately held back her grin as she feigned confusion at his comment. After all, where was the fun in setting someone up for a fall, if you couldn’t toy with them a little first?

“Army? Whatever army are you talking about? Oh, you don’t mean… surely you aren’t talking about my little bluff?” she admitted as she finally let her lips peel back into a mocking smile.

The growl that overtook Sombra - as stilted as it sounded with human vocal cords - caused the vast majority of the gathered former ponies to edge backwards. He strode towards sunset, fingers curled into claws and teeth barred, using his physical stature to tower over the woman in an attempt to intimidate. Sombra had taken care of his physical body in life unlike some warlocks, so it was reflected in both his magically reconstructed body and his new human form here, leaving him with substantial muscle mass, though not too much. Sunset had to admit he made for an extremely attractive man in the traditional tall dark and handsome sense.

However Sombra’s posture didn’t phase Sunset in the slightest, she confidently soaked up the attention the confrontation gained them. It helped that she felt his outburst was likely artificial, something to help publicly smear her image and authority with.

“You mean to tell me, that you are merely some posturing coward?! That you cannot bring to bear the force you promised?” he questioned pointedly, confirming her suspicions before his tirade even reached its conclusion. “How, perchance, are we to trust you can deliver on any of your promises? Your word is clearly a flimsy facade, you only hold a shallow mirage of the ocean you promised us.”

“I hardly lied. Not to the Princess and not to her ponies anyway,” Sunset said, brushing off his claims, with the flick of the wrist. “Atlas is a nice proof of concept, a prototype we can easily build on once everyone is up to speed.”

“We need an army!” he roared in her face, continuing his power play. “Thousands, hundreds of thousands! Not what pitiful mob we can cobble together in our sparse free time from working to survive this new… place.”

Sunset scoffed and rolled her eyes. “You’re thinking too small, not that I expected you to do otherwise. We don’t build the robot soldiers, we build the robots that build the robot soldiers. A constant tierless workforce creating weapon after weapon until we have the numbers we need.”

“A very pretty picture you paint,” Sombra admitted sarcastically - though the sharp eyed easily caught the look of genuine intrigue that passed over his face for a moment. “However, any plan needs competent execution. Something you have shown no ability to deliver on. And if you cannot deliver your promised victory, I would propose new leadership is required. Leadership that has actual experience fighting a war and managing an army.”

In a move to begin his little planned coup, Sombra raised his right arm in an instinctual gesture of power, focused a nasty grin on Sunset and reached for his magic… only to find nothing at all.

“Wh-what?!” he sputtered out, confusion taking over as his features as he oscillated between fearful confusion and anger. “What did you do to my magic?!”

Sunset’s smirk twisted into a snarl as in less than the blink of an eye she dropped forward into a fighting stance, lunged forward and lashed out with her hand, holding it straight and driving it finger first like a spear right into the man’s solar plexus.

Sombra, taken unawares by a weak spot he did not know he possessed, cried out weakly as the wind was knocked out of him and he doubled over in pain.

The crowd gasped in shock at the sudden and vicious attack, but no real pity was spared for the former king as the initial shock wore off. Many of the guards shared a small, less than friendly laugh at Sombra’s expense and a few of the watching children even cried out in excitement, cheering on Sunset for laying low their collective boogeyman. That attention was enough to distract Sunset for a moment, long enough for her to flash the kids a charming grin and mischievous wink.

Sombra however needed far more than a moment to recover so had no opportunity to strike back before Sunset was once more in his face, leaning over him to glare at him straight in the eyes.

“Listen here you sorry excuse for a Sauron knock off,” she demanded of him harshly. “First off, I’m not in charge here and you sure as hell aren’t either. That honour belongs to the Princess and her arm candy over there. Secondly, I hold all the fucking cards right now. Your magic - don’t worry, it’s not gone for good - is nicely locked away by this transformation, but all of my many non-magical tricks and weapons are plenty effective. So, don’t think you’ll get away with using violence to take over or even intimidate anyone - and I mean anyone, I’ll damn well find out if you do - into playing your games. You’re going to behave, learn to play nice and you might even earn a few privileges. And if you don’t like it…” Sunset’s stern look turned into a nasty grin, “well, the portal should still be open for a bit longer, I can offer the same alternative choices you gave all your former subjects here; a slow cold death, or gambling on the mercy of the invaders.”

With that all said she stood and stepped back, regarding Sombra with a sneer even as he glared daggers at her.

Abruptly she turned to face the stunned crowd, especially focusing on Cadance and her entourage and gave them a cheerful smile, mood having flipped from vicious to friendly in the blink of an eye. “Well! Now that that’s dealt with, why don’t I get a head count? Boys, girls and children separately. Then I’ll see about ordering us all some pizza!”

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long once again, and for so little by comparison. This chapter was originally a lot longer but I've decided to break it up a bit. Not sure how it compares to the (massivly) longer chapters previously posted so... let me know your prefferences! Comments and reviews are an author's life blood when it comes to fan-fiction.

In theory the next few parts should be done sooner but, well life be stressful as always so we'll see.

Also, on a side note for long term readers, I've updated a few of the erlier chapters. Mostly there's no serious changes, cleaning up a few typoes and re-phrasing a few things, but I have added a little more to the initial fight in the first chapter. If you check it out, hope you enjoy~