• Published 17th Jun 2020
  • 1,257 Views, 80 Comments

R.O.S.E - Madforce Entertainment



Ruby Rose, Onyx Shinra, Sunset Shimmer, and Eclipse Khan form team ROSE to protect Remnant from the dark forces of the Grim, as well as the terrorist organisation, the White Fang.

  • ...
6
 80
 1,257

Chapter 6: The first step’s

Author's Note:

Hey guys I’m back, and sorry for the long wait. The next chapter will be out tomorrow same time.
I hope you all enjoy this chapter.

Within Team R.O.S.E dorm room, Ruby Rose, Onyx Shinra, Sunset Shimmer, and Eclipse Khan were sleeping in their bunk beds having blissful dreams. The early morning sun crept in through the windows, and the moment the light hovered over Ruby’s face, she slowly opened her eyes.

“Hmm, morning already?” She mumbled with a tired tone, turning her head away from the morning light. “5 more minutes.” It took a second for Ruby to remember where she was, and her eyes snapped open in alarm, as she sat up with a start. “IT'S MORNING!” Ruby yelled at the top of her lungs, instantly waking the rest of her team from their slumber, before she zoomed out of bed, and whooshed around the room, stopping at each bed for a split second before moving on to the next. “Come on, up, up, up, it’s the first day!” She yelled ecstatically at her half-asleep teammates.

“Ruby, calm down, volume control,” Onyx said, rubbing his tired eyes.

“Ironically, I get told that,” Eclipse mumbled to himself.

“Why are you yelling so much?” Sunset asked Ruby as she sat up and rubbed her own eyes.

“It’s our first day at Beacon!” Ruby answered in excitement, as she grabbed Sunset by the shoulders and shook her like a rag doll.

“Okay, okay, stop shaking me!” Sunset told Ruby in annoyance.

“Yeah, Sorry, I’m just super excited!” Ruby said like a giddy schoolgirl.

“Come to think of it, we do need to get ready,” Onyx said, getting out of bed.

“He’s got a point, we still need to unpack,” Eclipse said as he used his telekinesis to float down from his bed.

“Okay, sure,” Sunset said, rolling out of bed.

“Alright, Team ROSE, let’s get ready!” Ruby said, jumping with more excitement. Ruby and her team got changed into their new school uniforms. After they got changed, the team unpacked their cases, placing their clothes into the closet and dressers.

Onyx took the case Garnet gave him and slid it under his bed. Ruby saw him doing this. “What’s that, Onyx?” She asked curiously.

“Just something I brought from Midgar,” Onyx replied as he stood up. “Well, looks like we finished unpacking. So what’s next?”

“Now…” Ruby, sitting on her bed. “Classes,” She said with a sad tone. “First at 9 is-”

“Wait! Did you say 9?!” Eclipse interrupted.

“Umm, yeah…” Ruby said slowly.

“You guys know it's 8:55 right?” He asked his teammates.

The others just stared at him for a brief moment. “What!?” The three of them yelled.

“Come on, we’re going to be late on our first day!” Sunset yelled as she dashed out the door.

“Go, go, go!” Ruby shouted as she ran behind Sunset, with Onyx and Eclipse running right behind them.

As they ran to their first classes, Salem and Glynda were walking through the school halls. They paused as they saw Ruby’s Team sprinting to their classes. “Hmm, they are cutting it close,” Said Glynda disapprovingly as she pushed her glasses up her nose with her index finger.

“It is their first day, Glynda,” Salem said with a lighthearted smile, before taking a sip of her cup of tea.


Ruby’s team just managed to make it to their first class by a hair. After that, most of their first day was mostly uneventful.

It was now the last class of the day. The teacher in charge of the lecture is Professor Port. His classroom looked like a generic classroom with some posters of sketches of Grimm and trophies of Grimm heads, and tusks. Professor Port was a robust man with grey hair and a very thick grey moustache. He stood in front of his desk and took a deep breath. “Demons, monsters, Grimm. Those are some names we use to call our natural enemies, but I just call them prey, and soon you too will see them as prey,” he said in his grand voice to start his class.

As the class continued, and Professor Port continued his lecture, Onyx, Sunset and Eclipse were taking notes. Ruby, however, was having trouble staying awake. Onyx noticed this and nudged her arm to get her attention. “Stay awake,” He whispered to her. Ruby nodded with a bored expression and tried to stay awake.

“Now, to tell you all a story about my younger days,” Professor Port rambled on, as he got sidetracked by telling his story rather than the subject he was supposed to be teaching. Ruby quickly grew even more bored and began to draw a picture of Professor Port as an old fat guy that smelled. She gave a childish smile as she showed it to Onyx, who smiled back, as Eclipse tried to hold in a laugh. Sunset, who was trying hard to concentrate on her work, looked up and saw her teammates' antics, and she gritted her teeth in annoyance and disgust. Then, Professor Port cleared his throat to get their attention. “So in conclusion, a Huntsman must have honour, respect, and above all else, must carry themselves with pride!” He finally finished his speech.

Sunset looked over at Ruby with revulsion as the younger girl continued her childish shenanigans. As far as she was concerned, she couldn't see those qualities in her “leader” at all. “Why did Professor Salem make her our leader? Stupid privileged little child!” She thought in frustration as she clutched her hand into a tight fist.

“Now, who among you thinks they have all of these qualities?” Professor Port asked his class.

Sunset immediately raised her hand. “I DO, PROFESSOR!” She declared to the whole room.

“AND SO DO I!” Everyone looked and saw Weiss Schnee, also with her hand up.

Sunset ground her teeth and glared at Weiss. “HEY! DON’T JUMP ON MY BANDWAGON PRINCESS!” She yelled at the young heiress.

“I did no such thing!” Weiss shot back defensively.

“Well now, two young Huntresses eager to show their vigour. However, unfortunately, I have only one Grimm, so who will fight this beast?” Port said to Weiss and Sunset.

“I will!” The two girls declared in unison. The two of them turned to stare daggers at each other.

“Hmm, well now this might be a problem,” Professor Port said.

“I have a way to sort this out,” Said Twilight with her team.

“Ohh, Ms Sparkle, what solution do you have to offer?” Professor Port asked.

“A simple solution, a coin toss,” Twilight replied.

“Ahh, a simple yet effective solution. What say you, ladies?” He asked the two girls.

“I am fine with this solution,” Said Weiss with a nod.

“Same here,” Sunset agreed, if reluctantly.

The two girls now stood facing each other on either side of Professor Port. He tossed the coin into the air. The coin came down and the Professor caught it. “Now ladies call it,” he said.

“Heads!” Weiss announced.

“Then I’ll have Tails then,” Sunset agreed, still staring daggers at Weiss. Professor Port removed his hand to reveal the Tails face of the coin. “Ha! In your face, Ice Queen!” Sunset yelled at Weiss in triumph.

Weiss simply raised an eyebrow. “There’s always next time,” She said with her nose in the air. She turned on her heel and walked back to her teammates.

Sunset quickly changed into her Huntress outfit. She then faced the cage with the captured Grimm, taking her fighting stance with Sunburn, which was in its Pudao mode. She spun the Spear from her left to her right and back again, before pointing the blade at the caged Grimm.

“Ready?” Professor Port asked, ready to open the cage.

“Ready!”

“Alright!” Professor Port raised his axe. “BEGIN!” He called, swinging his axe down to cut the lock of the cage, and Boarbatusk charged towards Sunset, as she swung her weapon upwards to get under the Boarbatusk. But she failed and was rammed out of the way of the rampaging Grimm.

“SUNSET AIM FOR ITS UNDERBELLY! THERE’S NO ARMOUR THERE!” Ruby called out.

“SHUT YOUR MOUTH!” Sunset snapped back at her. Needless to say, everyone was shocked that Sunset would show such disrespect to her team leader. Ruby, of course, was more shocked by this than anyone else, and more than a little hurt.

Onyx saw how sad this made Ruby, so he put his arm around her shoulders to comfort her. “Thanks, Onyx,” She whispered with a small smile.

The fight between Sunset and the Boarbatusk continued, as the Boarbatusk rolled toward Sunset with full force, and knocked her off her feet. She tried to get up, but the Grimm crashed into her yet again, and Sunset lost her weapon. “Oh ho, now what will you do without your weapon?” Professor Port asked.

“I’ll show you!” Sunset answered with determination, igniting the fire Dust in her sweatbands, creating two fireballs in both hands. “Time to burn, little piggy!” Sunset shoots a jet of flames at the frightened Grimm. The Boarbatusk ran from Sunset’s flames.

As this went on, Sunset was setting everything on fire. Weiss and Onyx quickly reacted and used their Glyphs to protect their classmates from Sunset’s flames. The frightened Boarbatusk ran from Sunset’s fire and got itself cornered. “Game over” She was abruptly interrupted as the Grimm was gunned down by Professor Port’s rifle. Sunset looked at him with anger. “WHAT THE HELL!?” She yelled at him, her flames getting stronger in the process.

Before the Professor could answer, the sprinklers came on, raining water down to put out Sunset’s flames. “Look around you Ms Shimmer, this is not the way of a Hunter,” Professor Port said sternly as the fire died out. Sunset looked around and saw the scorch marks she made as well as Onyx’s and Weiss’s Glyphs in front of the rest of the class. “Class dismissed!” Professor Port told the rest of the students. “And no homework either,” He added as the now wet and grumbling students left the room. “Not you, Ms Shimmer.” Sunset looked over at Professor Port. “A word please,” He said in a voice that left no room for argument.


Ruby, Onyx, and Eclipse were waiting for Sunset in the hallway. Eclipse was pacing backwards and forwards. Ruby was sitting on a chair with her hands on her knees, looking quite downtrodden, and Onyx was sitting next to her, as he bounced his knee up and down impatiently. Weiss then came walking down the hallway, stopping in front of the rest of team ROSE.

Onyx looked up at her as she approached. “Weiss? Why are you here?” He asked.

“I was summoned by Professor Salem,” Weiss replied.

Just then, Sunset came out of the classroom. She didn’t look happy. “Sunset, are you ok?” Ruby asked, but Sunset didn’t answer, she just kept walking down the hallway, completely ignoring her leader.

Professor Goodwitch then walked out of the classroom. “Ms Schnee, and Mr Shinra, Professor Salem would like to see you both.” She told Weiss and Onyx, and the two of them entered the classroom where Professor Salem and Professor Port were waiting for them. Once they had gone, Ruby and Eclipse chased after Sunset.


Ruby and Eclipse were still chasing after Sunset. “Sunset wait!” Ruby called after her.

Sunset stopped in her tracks, turned on her heel, and glared at Ruby with hatred and anger. “What do you want?!” She hissed at her.

Ruby was shocked by Sunset’s glare and words. “Sunset, why are you so angry with me?” She asked the angry Fox.

“You want to know why I’m angry? Ooh, I’ll tell you why I’m angry! I came to Beacon to become a Huntress, and it’s bad enough I’m here with a Schnee, and I’m on a team with a Shinra, but on top of all that, this joke of a team is led by an underaged, over-privileged brat like you!” Sunset raged on at Ruby. “Why don’t you just go home, you dumb little princess?! YOU DON’T BELONG HERE!” Tears started to form in Ruby’s eyes, and Sunset saw this. She smirked mockingly as she added, “What!? Are you going to cry? Why don't you run home to Mommy and Daddy?! I’m sure they-”

“YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!” Ruby screamed at the top of her lungs, with tears falling from her eyes, before she turned and ran, leaving a trail of rose petals behind.

“Ruby, wait!” Eclipse called to the fleeing girl. He turned to look at Sunset, aghast at what had just happened. “What the hell is your problem?” He asked in disbelief.

“What do you think my problem is? That little underaged rich girl bribed her way in, and she’s put in charge of us two Faunus’. Professor Salem should have made one of us team leaders.” She told Eclipse with conviction.

“WHAT!?” Eclipse yelled in shock. “That’s what this is all about, you’re stupid pride?!”

“No, it’s about what’s right! That spilt redhead has no place leading us!” Sunset shot back.

Eclipse just shook his head in disgust. “You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!” He said irritably, before running off down the hallway to find Ruby.


(Meanwhile inside the damaged classroom.)

Onyx and Weiss approached Professor Salem. She was looking over the damages that Sunset had caused. “Professor Salem, Ms Schnee, and Mr Shinra are here to see you,” Professor Goodwitch informed her.

Salem turned to face Weiss and Onyx. “Ahh yes, Mr Shinra and Ms Schnee. I believe a thank you is in order,” She said to the two of them.

“Why are we being thanked?” Asked Onyx in confusion.

“For answering the call of Duty,” Professor Port answered with a proud tone.

“Indeed, when Ms Shimmer went out of control with her flames. The two of you protected your fellow Students with your Glyphs,” Professor Salem explained.

Weiss looked proud of herself, while Onyx just waited for what Salem had to say next.

“Yes, so thank you for saving your fellow students from the fire,” Salem said to the two of them with a smile. “Ms Schnee, you may leave, but Mr Shinra, can you stay for a moment?” She added.

“Yes, Professor Salem,” Onyx replied.

“Thank you, Professors,” Weiss said with a polite nod, before she turned around, and left the classroom.

Onyx was left alone with the three Professors. He stood like a statue, waiting for what they were going to say. “Mr Shinra, has Ms Shimmer acted out of character at any point before today?” Asked Salem.

“No, Professor Salem, this is the first time she has done this,” Onyx replied.

“I see. Mr Shinra, who taught you how to use your Glyphs?” She asked again.

“I was self-taught, Professor,” Onyx answered. “Why do you ask?” He asked in return.

“From the footage of the incident, we can see you were having trouble holding your Glyph,” Salem replied with a hint of concern.

“I’ve always had trouble with the big ones,” Onyx explained simply.

“Did you not ask for training from your Mother?” Asked Professor Goodwitch.

“My Mother was killed when I was 8, Professor Goodwitch,” Onyx replied a bit more sharply than he intended, causing Glynda to bite her bottom lip.

“I see, and what about your cousin, Winter?” Salem asked.

“She had no time to train me,” Onyx replied with a shrug.

“Hmm, well since you have little training in regards to your Glyphs, I believe you will need some additional training, and Professor Goodwitch does use Glyphs herself. Glynda, would you please train Mr Shinra?” She asked Glynda.

“Yes, I will give Mr Shinra additional training with his Glyphs,” Glynda replied with a nod.

“Well, now that’s sorted, is there anything you need to ask of us?” Salem asked Onyx.

“Yes, Professor, what is going to happen to Sunset?” Onyx asked.

“She will have detention, and have to repaint the classroom,” Professor Port answered.

“Ok thank you for not kicking her out of Beacon,” Onyx said with relief.

Salem raised an eyebrow. “So tell me Mr Shinra, what are your views on Faunus’?” She asked.

“I believe Humans and Faunus can stand as equals. If only those in power would give them a chance, but unfortunately they hold on to outdated ways of thinking,” Onyx replied, making it clear how he saw the world.

“Hmm, so you would give Sunset a chance?” Salem asked again.

“Yes, I would.”

“And what of those who were a part of the White Fang?” Salem asked once more.

“Everyone deserves a chance. The White Fang was created because Humanity kept suppressing them, and I truly believe they do have their kind’s best interests at heart. If the day came that I ever met their leaders I would listen to every word they have to say, and hopefully, I can help them make this world a better place for all of us,” Onyx carefully answered the difficult question.

“Well, that was a very interesting answer, Mr Shinra. It’s rare to see someone at your age who thinks the way you do,” She said, seeing Onyx not as a student, but as a man who might be able to help rebuild this broken world. “That will be all Mr Shinra. You're dismissed.”

Onyx nodded and turned to leave. “One last thing Mr Shinra,” Professor Goodwitch said to him. Onyx turned back to look at the teachers again. “On your form, you put down you had a personal teacher. But there is no given name, why is that?” Professor Goodwitch asked.

“My teacher didn’t want their name placed on my forms,” Onyx replied. Glynda scowled at Onyx.

“Well if that’s the case you can leave now Mr Shinra,” Salem said, ending Glynda’s interrogation. Onyx nodded and left the room.

“So we’re not pursuing this any further?” Asked Glynda in annoyance at being cut off.

“No, everyone is entitled to their secrets,” Salem replied mysteriously. After all, she had more secrets than anyone else in the world.


Meanwhile, Eclipse was looking everywhere for Ruby. It seemed the trail of rose petals disappeared after some time. Eclipse couldn’t stop thinking about what happened in class, it was ironic that for the first time, he was on the receiving end of a rampaging Faunus attacking with fire. How many times did he use fire against humans, and how many times did just watch as the flames he caused destroyed homes, shops, and workplaces with people still inside? “Why am I thinking of this now, at this time? I need to find Ruby,” He thought to himself with determination and worry for his teammate.

As Eclipse searched for Ruby, he suddenly bumped into Yang, who was with her team, just as they were leaving the library. “Ohh, sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going,” Yang apologised to Eclipse.

“It’s fine,” Eclipse replied with an aggravated look.

“Is everything okay?” Asked Ember.

“I’m trying to find Ruby,” Eclipse said.

“Hmm?” This catches Yang's attention. “Why are you looking for Ruby?” She asked.

“Sunset yelled at her, and she ran away. I think I saw her crying,” Eclipse explained to Yang.

“What!?” Yang yelled, her eyes turning bright red. “Where is she?!” She asked Eclipse angrily.

“I don’t know where Ruby is,” Eclipse replied.

“No! Where’s Sunset Shimmer?!” She asked, gritting her teeth.

“I don’t know! I went after Ruby after she ran,” Eclipse replied. “Wait, why does this bother you so much?” He asked.

“Because Ruby’s my little sister, that’s why!” Yang growled, before she pushed Eclipse aside, and began her search for Sunset Shimmer.

“Yang, wait!” Called Lyra, as the rest of team YELO chased after their leader.


Onyx was walking back to Team ROSE's room when his Scroll buzzed. “Hmm?” He pulled out his Scroll and saw he had a message from Eclipse. He tapped on the message, and it opened. The message read, “I can’t find Ruby, and Yang’s hunting for Sunset. What should we do?” Onyx finished reading the message.

“I’m not sure, we’ll try to find Sunset and Ruby. Where are you?” He typed back to Eclipse.

“I’m by the Library,” Eclipse replied.

“Okay stay there, and I’ll make my way to you. Then we’ll look for Sunset and Ruby,” Onyx typed back to Eclipse. He ran towards the Library where Eclipse was waiting for him.


Sunset walked through the school grounds, thinking about what Salem and the other professors told her. “Ms Shimmer, this kind of vandalism will not be tolerated in this academy young lady!” Professor Goodwitch told her with a stern voice.

“Yes I agree with Professor Goodwitch. The walls will need repainting,” Professor Port said.

“Ms Shimmer, you will have detention with Professor Port for the next two weeks, and you will also repaint this classroom,” Salem told her.

“As well, I suggest you learn some self-control in the future Ms Shimmer. We don’t want any more wildfires,” Professor Goodwitch told her.

Sunset’s anger starts to rise from remembering what Professor Goodwitch said. “WHAT DOES SHE KNOW!?” She shouted, kicking over a trash can. “Stupid Blond!”

Yang heard Sunset yelling. “There she is,” Yang said, power-walking towards Sunset, her eyes red with anger. “HEY!”

Sunset turned and saw Yang walking towards her. “What do you want?” She hissed at Yang.

“What’s your deal with my sister?” Yang said bluntly.

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “What? Who’s your sister?” She asked back cluelessly.

“Ruby! Ruby Rose!” Yang yelled in indignation. “Eclipse told me you yelled at Ruby, and you made her cry!”

“Ohh, so that little spoiled brat’s your sister?” Sunset said with a snarky tone.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY!?” Yang exploded with rage towards Sunset, her blonde hair on fire.
Just then, the rest of team YELO found Yang as she confronted Sunset. “Call her that again, I dare you!” Yang growled fiercely at Sunset.

Seeing the enraged state of her team leader, Ember quickly ran to Yang's side. “Yang, come on, you have to calm down, or you could get in serious trouble,” she tried to reason.

“Stay out of this!” Yang snapped, as she clenched her hands into fists. “I'm going to give this little BITCH the beat down of a lifetime!”

“Oh, you think you can take me, Blondy?” Sunset huffed as she ignited her fire Dust. “Bring it on!” She challenged Yang.

“Ohh, you're going to regret screwing with my sister,” Yang threatened, getting closer to Sunset, ready to give her the beating of a lifetime.

Octavia ran forward and stood between the two fire starters. “Yang, stop! This isn’t worth it!” She pleaded.

“Move it, Octavia! This will be so worth it!” Yang told Octavia, shoving her aside.

Lyra then stands in Yang's way, using her Semblance to create 6 arms, and using them to stop Yang and Sunset from getting closer to each other. “Come on guys, can’t we all just get along?” She asked, trying to calm the girls down.

“Really? Another of your girlfriends is getting in the way?!” Sunset yelled.

“Out of my way, Lyra! She’s asking for it!” Yang ordered Lyra.

Ember then grabbed Yang from behind. “Come on, Yang it’s not worth it, you don’t want to do this!” She said, trying to pall Yang back.

“Oh, it’s going to be worth it, after I’m finished with her!” Yang replied, trying to force Ember off her.

“Are we doing this or not?” Sunset asked impatiently. “I’m ready to go here!”

Yang pushed Ember and Lyra off her, and she sprinted towards Sunset.

Sunset and Yang were about to fight when a stern voice shouted, “Stop right there you two!” Everyone looked and saw Professor Salem walking across the courtyard towards them. “Ms Xiao Long, your team is right, this isn’t worth getting kicked out of Beacon over,” She told Yang in a voice that left no room for argument.

“But Professor, she made my sister-”

“Ms Xiao Long, I know you love your sister very much, but there will be times when Ms Rose will have to fight her own battles without you,” Salem told Yang firmly but wisely. It was hard for Yang to accept the truth, but deep down she knew that one day Ruby would no longer need her. She also knew Ruby would have to fight her own battles. She took a deep breath, and her eyes changed back from red to lilac. “I think you and your team have homework to do,” Salem said, placing her hand on Yang’s shoulder.

Yang took another deep breath. “She’s right, come on guys, let’s go,” She said, walking away, and her team followed her.

Sunset just huffed in annoyance, turned her fire off, and turned to walk away.

“Hold on, Ms Shimmer, I believe we need to have another chat,” Salem said before she could leave.

“What now?” Sunset said in a snarky tone.

Salem raised an eyebrow at Sunset’s attitude. “Ms Shimmer, why are you so angry with Ruby Rose?” She asked, wanting to know what was wrong with her student.

“I don’t think that Ruby Rose is leader material of any kind, and I know for a fact you made the wrong choice,” Sunset told Salem firmly.

Salem looked at Sunset with judging eyes. “Hmm, I suppose you may have a point Ms Shimmer. Perhaps Mr Shinra might be a suitable leader. Or maybe Mr Khan could make a good leader,” She told the Fox girl.

“What? What about me?” Sunset protested.

“What about you, Ms Shimmer? What have you done to prove to me you are worthy of leadership?” Salem asked Sunset.

Sunset had no answer to the question. “Well…” she said hesitantly.

“Exactly, Ms Shimmer, you have done nothing to prove your worth as a leader,” Salem said, “Do you know what Mr Shinra and Mr Khan are doing right now?” She asked.

“Umm, not really,” Sunset replied.

“They are both looking for you and Ms Rose,” Salem told Sunset.

“Wait, they are?” Sunset said in surprise.

“Yes they are, and Ms Rose has disappeared,” Salem went on.

“Wait, Ruby’s gone?” Sunset asked in sudden concern for the missing younger girl.

“Why do you sound so concerned?” Salem asked Sunset.

“I didn't mean to scare her away. I just got so angry and…”

“And you took out your anger on Ms Rose. Ms Shimmer, I know you have not been in a School in a long time, and I also know you were bullied at your last school. I am wagering that you subconsciously enter a form of a defence mechanism, and instead of confronting it, you allow it to take control. As a result, you almost ruined your team, and your studentship here,” Salem told Sunset.

Sunset knew Salem was right. She was in the wrong, and she needed to make things right with Ruby. “I…I need to find Ruby,” She said to Salem with regret in her voice.

“Well, may I suggest you look in a high place,” Salem said.

“Yes, thank you, Professor Salem,” Sunset said, and ran to find Ruby and apologise to her.

“Now let's see what this first step will lead to,” Salem thought to herself, walking back the way she came.


Sunset ran to the rooftop of her team’s dorm. She looked over the edge to try to find any sign of Ruby. “Come on! How can a red hooded girl be this hard to…” her train of thought stopped when she heard what sounded like someone sniffing. “Ruby?” Sunset approached where the noise was coming from, and she saw Ruby, down on her knees, and looking at a picture on her Scroll. The picture was of a group of girls from Signal Academy holding a sign saying “Good luck at Beacon!”

“Coming here was a mistake,” Ruby whimpered, continuing to cry. She didn’t notice Sunset was behind her.

“Ruby?” Sunset said softly as she got closer.

Ruby looked up at Sunset with bloodshot eyes. “Go away, Sunset,” She said miserably.

The guilt, along with the broken tone of Ruby’s voice stung Sunset like a knife as she sat down next to Ruby. “Are those your friends from Signal Academy?” She asked.

“Why do you care?!” Ruby snapped without looking at her.

“I…I don’t know what to say, Ruby,” Sunset said, trying as hard as she could to find the right words.

“You're right, I don’t belong here. I’m going to see Professor Salem and tell her I’m leaving Beacon,” Ruby said, wiping more tears from her eyes.

“No Ruby I… I was wrong. I let my anger get the best of me, and I had no right to yell at you the way I did,” Sunset said in a guilty voice.

“It doesn't matter, Sunset, I’m leaving Beacon,” Ruby said, looking away from Sunset again.

“Ruby… the truth is I was bullied a lot in my old school, and I’ve not been in an Academy in a long time. Without knowing, I did to you what they did to me, and I said some hurtful things to you. I’m sorry Ruby, I truly am,” Sunset explained, trying to make amends with the stricken girl.

Ruby didn't say anything to Sunset for a moment, before staging firmly, “I made up my mind Sunset.” She then made to stand up.

Sunset took a deep breath. “OK, I can see what I need to do here,” She said, before inching closer to Ruby, moving her long bushy tail in front of her, and then flopping it across Ruby’s lap.

“Huh?” Ruby said in confusion. “Your tail?”

“I’ve noticed you’ve been staring at it all day. You like it. So, go ahead, cuddle it,” She said as she blushed a little.

Ruby stared at Sunset in stunned silence for a moment, before she looked down at the very soft and fluffy-looking appendage in her lap. She gently took hold of it with both hands, feeling how warm and soft Sunset’s tail was. She lifted the tip to her face and nuzzled it with her cheek as she started to cuddle it. “Wow, your tail is so soft,” She said with a sweet smile, rubbing her face in the soft tail.

“Yeah I take really good care of it,” Sunset said with a bit of pride in her voice, before saying warningly, “But this is a one-off deal, and if you tell anyone I did this I’m roasting you.” Instead of answering, Ruby just continued to hug and snuggle Sunset’s tail. “Feeling any better?” Sunset asked.

“Yeah, much better, thanks,” Ruby said with a smile, and then the two girls stood up, and the two of them hugged each other.

“I am sorry, Ruby,” Sunset apologised once more.

“I forgive you, Sunset,” Ruby said, smiling happily.

“Come on, we have homework to do, and we should tell the boys they don’t need to keep looking for you and that we’ve made up,” Sunset said.

Ruby and Sunset made their way back to their Dorm room, where Ruby called Onyx and Eclipse and told them that everything was now OK between her and Sunset.


At the end of the next day, Sunset went down to Professor Port’s classroom to carry out her punishment of repainting the walls. She was now ready to get started repainting the walls. “Well, better get started,” She said to herself.

“Yeah we better get started,” Ruby said as she walked up to her with Onyx and Eclipse. Each of them was holding paintbrushes.

“Why are you guys here?” Sunset asked.

“Ruby suggested that we should help you with repainting the classroom,” Eclipse said.

“And the four of us can get this done a lot faster than you doing this on your own,” Onyx added.

“So shall we get started?” Ruby asked.

“Well, I was told to get this done, but they didn’t say you guys couldn't help,” Sunset said, rubbing the back of her head.

Then Team ROSE started to repaint the classroom together as a team. Salem, who was standing outside the classroom, smiled upon seeing her students working together. “Looks like this was a well-placed step,” She thought to herself, before walking back to her office.


Hidden within the Kingdom of Mistral, The White Fang’s high leader, Sienna Khan, a Tiger Faunus, was sitting on her throne. She gripped the arms of the throne tightly and had a frustrated, angry look on her face. A woman then ran inside the throne room and kneeled in Sienna Khan’s presence. She wore the uniform of a White Fang Grunt. On the top of her head was a small set of antlers, showing that she was a Deer Faunus. “High leader, I have news on the search for Eclipse,” The female grunt reported.

“And?”

“We haven’t found him yet. We searched most of Mistral, and we can’t find him anywhere.” The Deer Faunas explained.

Sienna Khan shot to her feet, her face scrunched up in fury. “Double your efforts! I want my son found! NOW!” She ordered, and the Deer Faunus sprang to her feet in fright and ran out of the Throne Room as fast as she could. Once the Deer Faunus was gone, Sienna Khan slouched back down onto her Throne, took a deep breath to calm herself, before she reached into her coat, and pulled out a picture of her son. “Eclipse, where are you?” She asked herself, looking longingly at her son in his childhood. “Come home, Eclipse, come back to me,” She whispered to herself sadly, a single tear running down her cheek. Sienna’s face then changed from sadness to anger. “This is her doing,” She hissed in a venomous tone. “Once she left, you disappeared along with her. She’s the one who led you astray. Blake Belladonna! I will have your head on a silver platter for stealing my son from me!” She shouted in hatred. “COTTON!” she yelled.

A female Bunny Faunus with a cottontail entered the Throne Room. She approached the throne and knelt at Sienna Khan’s feet. “Yes High Leader?” The bunny woman asked.

“Find Blake Belladonna and bring her to me,” Sienna Khan ordered Cotton.

“It will be done, High Leader,” Cotton said before leaving the room.

“I swear, I will make you suffer for what you have done, Blake Belladonna.” Sienna hissed with even more hatred, her eyes narrowed dangerously, and gripped the arms of the throne even tighter, making grooves in them with her claws.

To Be Continued…