• Published 21st Jun 2020
  • 315 Views, 13 Comments

Evanstallion: Neon Friendship - Short-tale



Fluttershy has to protect Equestria from giant monsters called angels. The only way she can is within the giant robot Evanstallion Unit0-1.

  • ...
3
 13
 315

Episode 5: Tests and Trials

One week before Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy’s arrival, Twilight watched as Commander Discord strode through the secondary command center. He briskly paced back and forth as he glanced out the observation window. Unit-00 stood still and motionless. Nothing about its exterior gave the impression that a pilot was inside.

Twilight knew this was a big moment for them. They had never turned the Evanstallion on with a pilot inside before. Twilight scrolled through her mental checklists of the things that could go wrong. She could feel the hair in her mane start to curl and quickly matted it back. She refocused on the trial at hoof. She had already placed many contingency plans in motion if anything went wrong.

“Unit-00 is connected to Maud,” informed Bon Bon.

“Sync ratio is nominal,” Lyra said and pointed at her display.

“What is the status of the pilot?” asked Mud Briar.

Twilight checked the various displays. “The pilot is fine,” she confirmed.

“Techno babble is done,” cheered Lyra.

“Wait, something is wrong!” shouted Bon Bon.

“Increased techno babble!”

“The sync rates are dropping!”

“It’s going berserk!” screamed Trixie.

The Evanstallion started whipping its head back and forth. It twisted its neck in anguish and trembled violently.

“End the test! Get Maud out of there!” shouted Discord with a disturbingly serious look on his face.

“External magic cut!” confirmed Bon Bon.

The Eva bashed the walls with its head and rammed the observation window. Glass shattered around the control room occupants. Trixie fell from her chair with a long slice across her left foreleg. Twilight immediately rushed in and placed pressure on it.

“Release the comforting EZ cheese,” commanded Discord.

The chamber began to fill with cheesy goodness. Unit-00 started to slow as the substance began to congeal around it. The entry plug fired out of the Eva’s back but struck the ceiling of the chamber and plummeted. It slammed hard onto the uncheesed portion of the cold metal floor.

“Maud!” shouted Twilight as she wrapped Trixie’s hoof.

Mud Briar rushed out the command center and into the chamber. He found the discarded entry plug as Unit-00 finally went limp. The large wad of congealed cheese kept the robot upright.

Mud Briar reached the hatch and pressed the opening mechanism. Two long levers rose out of it. Mud Briar took them in his hooves and began to push them open. A sizzling sound filled the air with the smell of burnt hair and hoof as he placed his hooves on the superheated levers. He ignored the pain and tried twisting the levers to open the hatch. As much panicked strength as he could muster he couldn’t open it.

“Discord! Assist me!” Mud Briar demanded.

“But it looks really hot,” whined Discord behind him.

“For Maud!”

“Alright, alright.”

Discord hesitantly placed his fingers on the ends of the levers and put the barest amount of strength into them. The valve slowly turned and the hatch opened.

“Maud!?” Mud Briar whispered in fear.

Maud looked up at him with a slight smile. Her face and right eye were bleeding from the impact with the floor. Her shoulder also oozed blood. He scooped her up with his raw hooves and carried her out of the plug.

“Ouch”, shouted Discord as they emerged. “Now my pinkies are scarred.”

They stared at him blankly.

“What?”

***

Twilight finished her tale and looked at the command center’s occupants. Pinkie and Fluttershy sat in front of her wide eyed. Pinkie Pie had somehow acquired popcorn during her story. She munched away happily.

“So that’s how Commander Discord burned his fingers,” gasped Fluttershy. “I’m glad he’s helping some pony.”

“Sounds horrible, oh poor Maud, she must have been devastated,” cried Pinkie then placed another wad of popcorn in her mouth. “Nom. Nom.”

“Actually, I couldn’t really tell,” thought Twilight aloud, “she didn’t have that much of a reaction.”

“So what about this angel I hurt?,” Fluttershy said, ending in a whisper.

“That is really fascinating,” Twilight excitedly regaled. “You were able to preserve the specimen really well. The nearest I can guess it looks to be a magical construct. So it really wasn’t alive at all, Fluttershy.”

“Oh thank goodness.”

“You broke the central magical battery in it.”

“But who built them and why?” Fluttershy asked.

“Well the magic signature is identical to a pony. So somepony is out there creating these things,” Twilight concluded.

Pinkie nodded then downed her cup of cocoa and offered Fluttershy some popcorn.

“Aside from that it’s going to take a lot longer for us to really understand more,” continued Twilight, annoyed she didn’t get offered popcorn.

“So I heard that we are going to try Maud in Unit-00 tomorrow,” said Fluttershy as she tried to shift her guilt away.

“Yupper doodle,” Pinkie shouted, bouncing in front of Fluttershy and spraying her with popcorn bits. “She’s going to do so spectacularly awesome that she won’t even remember all the scary traumatic things that happened to her before.”

“I hope so, I didn’t have nearly as hard a time as she did and I’m still terrified of that thing,” Fluttershy whimpered.

“Relax, Maud’s the pinnacle of calm,” assured Pinkie.

****

Fluttershy felt the fear for Maud’s re-activation trail all day. She couldn’t help but take little peeks to make sure Maud wasn’t equally nervous. Her new friends Applejack and Sunburst took notice.

“Ya been doing that all day,” observed Applejack. “What’s up?”

“Oh it’s nothing,”mumbled Fluttershy looking at her hooves.

“Oh I get it, it’s “nothing”, snarked Sunburst teasingly.

“What do mean?,” asked Fluttershy.

“Oh we know what nothin’ means,'' took up Applejack. “You’re just sittin’ there, starin at her, thinkin’ of “nothin’”.

“Sweets nothings,” winked Sunburst.

“You’re sweet on her, aren’t ya?” Applejack declared.

“What?” gasped Fluttershy turning red. “I just wondered if she was nervous. She has an awfully important trial coming up. The last time she was injured. But she looks so calm. I don’t think I could be so calm.”

“I’ll tell ya why, cause she’s a weirdo,” commented Applejack. “She doesn’t talk to nopony and never smiles.”

“That’s so sad,” said Fluttershy.

“It’s her own choice.”

“Maybe..”

Fluttershy watched as Maud stared at the ground absently. Fluttershy felt she should say something to her but couldn’t think of what. She didn’t want to bother her.

***

Later on that night Twilight came over for dinner. She found Pinkie and Fluttershy at the diner table which was covered in baked sweets.

“I was invited here for dinner,” said Twilight and itched her snout with a hoof. “I don’t see a dinner.”

“Cupcakes are a type of dinner,” suggested Pinkie.

“No they are a type of dessert, Pinkie. You have to eat more than sweets otherwise you’ll get fat.”

“Impossible, I prong everywhere to burn the most calories and eat at least some veggies.”

“Covering your broccoli in frosting does not count.”

“Awww.”

“Next time invite me over when Fluttershy makes the meal. Oh Fluttershy,” Twilight’s eye twitched as she suddenly remembered her errand, “could you do me a favor? I have a new magic entry card for Maud I forgot to give her. Could you drop it off for me please?”

Fluttershy took the card with her wing but found herself staring at it idly. It felt so odd that they both did the same job yet reacted to it so differently. She marveled at the stone faced Maud in the ID and envied that conviction.

“I know Maud’s beautiful Fluttershy but staring at her picture like that in front us could be embarrassing,” exclaimed Pinkie with a large smile. “We might say things like,” are you sweet on Maud?” or “are you thinking about “nothing” again?” or “now you have an excuse to go to Maud’s house and stare at her in person.” That would be super duper embarrassing if we said stuff like that. Good thing I warned you.”

Fluttershy immediately turned red at Pinkie’s jeers. She didn’t understand why everypony thought she saw Maud as anything other than an admirable pony. Yet once again the stinging teases flew at her. She was more than a little annoyed and thought it best to complete her mission then.

She marched to the door. Then hesitated. It was awfully late. And awful dark. There could be sneaky ponies that might jump out and scare yellow pegasi. “I guess I’ll get it done ..tomorrow. It is quite late now and I wouldn’t want to bother any pony this late.”

Pinkie nodded as she watched Fluttershy talk herself out of going anywhere and returned to her room instead.

“Umm is she going to be alright with this assignment,” asked Twilight uncertainly. “She seems a little nervous.”

“Fluttershy will be fine,” assured Pinkie. “She has to come out of her quills on her own.”

“Hedgehogs don’t come out of their quills.”

“Oh.”

***

The sun rose with bright golden promise. Fluttershy was up with it. She cleaned the kitchen as always from Pinkie’s “diner” party and wondered if it was too early to go to Maud’s yet. She didn’t want to wake Maud up on the day of her test. Then she nervously envisioned that Maud could wake early for a pre-jitters jog. She would run all the way to headquarters without her card and couldn’t get in. She might think they didn’t want to come in at all. Oh, how awful. Then she would doubt herself and do badly on her test and be told she couldn’t pilot any more and it would all be Fluttershy’s fault. Fluttershy couldn’t let that happen to Maud so she set out early after all.

Fluttershy fretted and worried the entire way to the address listed on the card. Before she knew it she found herself in front of Maud’s door. She knocked quietly. No pony answered. She tapped a little harder with her wing. Still the door obstinately remained closed and betrayed no inner movement. She began to dance back and forth. She knew Maud needed her card but she didn’t know what to do. Perhaps Maud was still asleep. She didn’t want Maud to oversleep. She decided she would just peek in to see if she was ok. She slowly turned the knob with her wing.

“Maud?” Fluttershy’s whispered voice barely entered the home. Then she noticed the pile of bloody bandages in the corner of the apartment. “Oh my,” she gasped and rushed further in. “Maud is everything ok? I saw the bandages and was worried.”

Fluttershy looked around the apartment but couldn’t find Maud anywhere. Then she noticed a small rock sitting on Maud’s dresser.

“I didn’t know Maud liked nature,” she thought and took the rock with her wing. As she examined it, an annoyed snort caught her ear. She slowly turned and found a naked Maud in a towel behind her. The nude pony calmly walked over and reached for the rock while the embarrassed Fluttershy tried to retreat. She slipped and fell under Maud knocking her legs out.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry,” the klutzy pegasus whispered while she squeezed her eyes shut.

Maud calmly got up and began to place her clothes on.

Fluttershy had her wings over her eyes while sage said, ” I’m not looking. I didn’t mean to slip. I was trying to give you your new CAKE card.”

The little pegasus peeked between her feathers to find Maud gone.“Oh no!” she shouted, “her card won’t work.”

The room became a blur as the yellow mare rushed through to the door outside. She missed the grey mare in the corner still slowly getting ready for the test.

“Oh no,” Fluttershy gasped as she looked around outside. “She must have left already.”

The panicked Eva pilot flew off toward headquarters looking for her on the way. “I didn’t know she was that fast,” she thought. She flew down all the major streets that led to headquarters. She approached the main gate to headquarters, landed and looked around. Maud was nowhere to be found. She sighed. “I must have passed her after all. I guess I’ll just wait here for her.”

Fluttershy stood in front of the entrance for what felt like hours. The sun moved slowly across the sky. Finally she saw the form of Maud shimmering in the heat walking towards the headquarters.

“Oh thank goodness,” Fluttershy sighed in relief. “Umm should I run back to her now? What if I do and startle her? I think I’ll just wait here instead.”

Maud slowly made her way to the terminal. She passed Fluttershy without a glance, focused only on the test. Her mind was temporarily confused as she swiped her card in the terminal only to have it beep angrily. Maud calmly swiped again and the reader admonished her. She looked at the offending card. Suddenly another card was thrust at her from the third foal. It had her picture on it.

“Maud,” began Fluttershy, “hi, here is your new card. Sorry about earlier.”

Maud took the card and swiped it instead. The reader happily beeped admittance. Maud didn’t blink an eye and walked inside.

“Oh,” Fluttershy followed. She still felt awful for breaking into her home this morning. “So today is your retest in Unit-00.”

“Yes,” came the deadened answer.

“Aren’t you nervous?”

“No”

“I would be horrified if something like that happened to me.”

“Ok”

“How is it you’re so calm?” cried Fluttershy desperately.

“I don’t know.”

“Oh I see,” Fluttershy said and began to wilt. Maud was a difficult pony to get to know.

“Do you like Commander Discord?” asked Maud, breaking Fluttershy’s melancholy.

“I’m not sure. I used to but I don’t remember what happened now.”

Maud turned and looked Fluttershy in the eye, stopping her short. She bonked Fluttershy in the head with her hoof.

“Ouch! What was that for?”cried the startled third filly.

“Sometimes a strike to the head can jog one’s memory,” Maud calmly explained.

“Umm thank you?” Fluttershy said, rubbing her head.

“Your welcome.”

Maud nodded then walked down the corridor towards her Eva. Fluttershy stared after her and tried to figure out if she had been honestly trying to help or making fun of her. She shook her head and returned to the task at hand

***

Fluttershy joined Twilight, and Pinkie in the command center. Discord and Mud Briar sat behind them. The computer mares were in their normal positions at their desks.

“Here we go again,” whined Lyra. A stern look from Bon Bon hushed her.

“Ok, Maud we are starting the test,” informed Twilight. “How do you feel?”

“Fine,” responded Maud monotonously. She sat in the entry plug of Unit-00. Fluttershy could see her bored expression through the monitor. Fluttershy marveled at her stoicism.

“It’ll be ok, Maud,” assured Pinkie. “I know you're nervous but we have things truly in hoof this time. Plus I’m here to make sure you're safe.”

“Is she nervous?,” whispered Twilight.

“Of course she is Twilight can’t you see how scared she looks?”

“Oh uhh of course I was just distracted by my preparations.”

Twilight looked at Trixie in confusion who shrugged in response.

“Initiating connections,” began Bon Bon.

“Sync levels normal,” called out Lyra.

“No biofeedback,” informed the great and powerful computer mare.

“Cupcake levels sufficient,” saluted Pinkie as she placed a cup cake in her mouth.

“These results are good, Maud,” excitedly reported Twilight. “We have successfully reactivated Unit-00.”

“Wonderful,” exclaimed Discord with a great sweeping hand movement.

“Well done, Maud,” stated Mud Briar with a lot less drama.

Maud nodded in her cockpit.

“Wheh,” sighed Fluttershy, wiping her brow.

“Warning! Warning! The 5th Angel has been spotted,” gasped Bon Bon.

“What!” shouted Twilight. “But we’ve no time to plan!”

A massive octagonal diamond appeared on the screen. It hovered noiselessly in the air as it moved forward by an unseen force.

“Code Blue,” exclaimed Bon Bon. “It’s definitely an angel.”

“Hooray an angel,” shouted Pinkie. “Now Maud can show her stuff.”

“No, it’s too early for her,” commanded Discord. “Send Unit-01.”

“Awww,” pouted Pinkie. “I wanted to see Maud in action.”

Fluttershy flew to her Eva. The entry plug was open and ready. She quickly changed into her plug suit and climbed in. She signaled to Pinkie who shouted “Eva lunch!”

After blank stares Pinkie retreated and sheepishly stated, “I didn’t eat much for lunch. Ok, Eva launch!” She pulled a cord that released a banner printed with the words, ”go Fluttershy” and a heart framing her silhouette.

***

Large metal spires shot out of the ground in Ponyville 3. The ground opened up and the Eva rose out and shone in the gleaming sunlight in front of the angel. Fluttershy had a few seconds before she was struck in the chest by a bright blue particle beam. She screamed as the liquid around her boiled. Fluttershy could feel the pain in every limb as the liquid churned.

“Oh no,” shouted Pinkie with a mouth full of sandwich. “Bring her back! Bring her back.”

The platform quickly lowered with the charred Evanstallion back into the safety of headquarters. Fluttershy’s body felt like a pulsing sponge of pain as she fell from consciousness.