• Published 14th Jun 2020
  • 1,423 Views, 37 Comments

Devil May Cry: The Brothers’ Mission - darkstone57



The Sons of Sparda were given a job to do together but were separated before it began. Now, Vergil ventures alone to complete the task at hand whilst Dante wagers war against the leader of the Demons. Will they succeed?

  • ...
4
 37
 1,423

Prologue: Part 2

Devil May Cry: The Brothers’ Mission

By Darkstone57

Prologue: Part 2

The moment they felt the sensation, the two brothers opened their eyes to a sight that was an immediate cause of concern; the sky was blue with a few white clouds, a gentle breeze was flowing against their skin and the sound of ruffling grass was the only thing, after the wind, that they heard.

Almost simultaneously, the two of them used what energy they had to sit upright to take in the scenery. When they both saw each sitting in the grass, they skeptically looked around them to see the field of green stretch as far as the eye could see.

Eventually, they turned away from each other as they stood up, both of them holding their weapons in hand, to verify where they were.

Each passing second left both of them more and more confused before Dante spoke out, dumbfounded, “What the hell…?”

“There’s…” Vergil started, gazing upon the horizon, slowly to and fro, before stating; “Nothing here.”

“No demons. No humans.” Dante added.

“Absolutely nothing…” Vergil finished, equally as flabbergasted.

The seconds seemed to become longer as they both look onward to whatever there was of this plain they stood in.

They then turned to each other, neither of them truly understanding the situation.

And, again, Dante broke the ice, “So… now what?”

“I can help you with that.” A third voice answered, calling out to them from the distance.

Immediately, the two of tightened their grip on their weapons at the sound of the voice.

It was feminine and held a gentle motherly tone to it.

“Please, don’t be alarmed.” The voice spoke again, gently, “I haven’t brought you here to hurt you.”

Dante and Vergil shared an apprehensive glance between each other for a moment, before Dante stood up straight to reply, “Okay, then.” He held his free hand out, offering it to wherever he thought the voice was coming from. “If you really aren’t going to hurt us; then, please, come on out. Let’s talk.”

Vergil remained defensive as he could see what his brother was doing but wanted to be ready in case whatever came was going to attack them.

The voice gave a soft giggle before replying, “Then I shall do that. And, I can promise you I will not harm you.”

Before either of them could respond a blinding white light appeared before them. The two of them squinted and tried to not look directly at it as the feminine being was beginning to appear.

When the light faded, the two of them adjusted their eyes to take in the appearance of their host and what they saw, once again, left them lost for words.

The being that appeared them was like nothing they had seen before. She was a horse that stood at eye level with them. Her legs, body and neck were long and thin and covered head to hoof in a light colour coat that was akin to gold and grey. Her darkened red mane and tail were equal in length. The mane in question also seemed to cover her left eye which showed off her right arctic blue eye. The most distinctive feature about the horse that they were staring at in confusion that it also had a thin, long horn and a pair of large wings. Both that were the same colour as her coat.

“Hello there, you two.” The horse said gently, “I am Faust.”

Seeing and hearing Faust speak left them even more stunned. Eventually, Dante shook off the confusion and spoke up. “Well then, Faust,” Dante began, still trying to get over the fact the horse was talking back to them. “My name’s Dante.”

“A pleasure.” Faust greeted with small nod before turning her attention to Vergil who was still on edge about the whole situation.

He gave Dante a quick glance and saw that he was shrugging his shoulders and had a small smile. Eventually, Vergil slightly loosened his grip on the Yamato and stood straight, giving Faust a small nod and simply said, “Vergil.”

To which Faust replied with a curt nod. She looked between the two brothers, giving them equal attention before continuing; “I apologise for summoning you to this plane with any notice whatsoever, I couldn’t think any other way to bring you two here.”

The brothers shared a curious glance before Dante when with a question that was bugging him, “So, what does that make you then? Some kind of super horse or god?”

Faust gave a light giggle to that as she replied, “In this situation, Mr. Dante, I wish I was. I’d have the power to stop what’s happening in my world right now. But,” Faust looked down in slight distress as a thought ran through her mind, “I don’t and that’s why I went out of my way to bring you two here.”

“And what is you want from us?” Vergil asked, cutting straight to the point.

Faust saw the conversation was veering to a direction where Vergil would be getting more and more upset. So, she decided to appease them by bowing her head whilst clearly speaking her wishes; “I humbly ask the two of you to help my world.” Dante and Vergil said nothing and listened intently to her plea.

“Two weeks ago, my world was suddenly flooded from an army demons that rained down from above. Many have lost their lives because of this and my world is on the brink of ruin. They’re using the power that my kind has gained over the years and forcing them to siphon their demonic portals, all of them screaming their intentions for their lord.”

Faust raised her head to look them in the eyes as she spoke the name out of fear and anger. “A demon named Mundus.”

The brothers eyes widened in surprise. Neither of them had heard that name in so long and to hear it from a being from another realm they had just met, neither of them knew what to say next.

Faust, however, saw their reaction to the name and went on that to find out more.
“You two know of Mundus already?”

Vergil and Dante looked between each other and Faust for a moment, the silence became deafening as the question lingered in the air.

Again, Dante broke the silence, “Years ago, Mundus, who might I add was a former king of hell, tried to use his demon goons to try and break free out of a sealed portal to our world.” Dante gestured to him and Vergil.

Faust shifted all of her attention to Dante as he continued, “Fortunately,” Dante continued with a proud smirk, “I gladly ripped him a new one and sent him packing, sealing him away in the process.”

Vergil put his hand to his chin in contemplation, adding Dante’s words with Faust’s with an audible ‘hmmm.’

Faust then looked to Vergil curious to what he was thinking, she asked him politely, “Mr. Vergil? What is it?”

Vergil took in the concern on her face and, to him, he felt as though she genuinely cared about her world. He lowered his hand and firmly spoke what was on his mind, “If the demons are truly using your worlds powers to charge the portals to the underworld, they could be using that energy to power something.”

Dante caught on to his train of thought and finished the sentence for him, “And use whatever that ‘something’ is to break the seal and free Mundus.”

Faust looked down in horror, “If that were to happen… my world…”

“Would be obliterated and or used for Mundus’ own gain.” Vergil stated, darkly.

The air around the three of them grew heavy on the thought of that alone.

Dante, who dissipated his sword away, clapped his hands to snap everyone out of this grim mood, “So, to run it down;” Dante started with some confidence, “you want us to go to your world and put a wrench in the demons plans by handing their asses to them.”

Faust smiled at the confidence Dante was exuding and felt the same feeling flow through her, “Yes, exactly.”

Vergil remained silent but was calmer than earlier.

“I have a way to help my world heal once you’ve sealed the portals. When you’ve done that we can find the General of the army and stop him for good.” Faust explained with certainty.

“A General, huh?” Dante inquired, “This ‘General’ got a name?”

Vergil, too, was interested to hear the name.

“SPARDA!!”

A thunderous yell that came from a deep booming voice shook the foundation’s of the realm. Dante, Vergil and Faust felt the earth shake beneath them as they all lost their balance for a moment.

The sky quickly darkened and the wind began to howl, Dante quickly summoned his weapon once more as he look around to find out where this fourth voice came from. Vergil primed himself in a fighting stance, his free hand on the hilt of his weapon as he felt the demonic presence closing in on them.

Faust, try as she might not to, began to panic. “He’s found us! I don’t know how but he did!”

“Who did?!” Vergil asked sharply over all the noise.

Only for the wind to come to a screeching halt as the sky above shattered like a broken mirror, breaking into smaller pieces around a massive black centre. And from the darkness, a pair of large feral, malicious eyes with golden irises bore down on the three of them.

Faust saw the eyes and spurted out the name of the entity balefully looking down at them as clear as day; “Astaroth!”

Dante and Vergil were locked into a stare down with Astaroth as his eyes intently surveyed the two of them. After a moment, he chuckled derisively.

“Would you look at this?” He began rhetorically, “That explains why I sensed Sparda’s presence, both of his sons are standing right before me. This is perfect!”

“I agree, big guy!” Dante quickly called back, ready to take action. “This is perfect!”

“The perfect opportunity to end you here and now!” Vergil added with spirit as he firmly gripped his Yamato, ready to strike.

Only for Astaroth to respond with another mocking laugh.

And then, without warning, his eyes glinted with black energy and before either the brothers realised it; a pair of dark fur, with silver scaled, hands, the size of the two of them had swiftly crushed the pair of them in Astaroths grip.

Only their head remained exposed as everything below was being squeezed in his tightening grip. The two of groaned in pain through gritted teeth as they were being brought closer to Astaroth, methodically.

“The two of you are wounded and weak! And ripe for the taking! When I’m done with the both of you, no one will be able to stop Lord Mundus’ return!” Astaroth proclaimed loudly and proudly. The brothers gritted their teeth harder, knowing that he was right but refused to go down so easily.

“Not yet!” Vergil hollered with pride as tried to use his power to summon a blue sword, imbued with demonic energy, to strike at the wrist of the hand that was holding him.

Only for Astaroth to respond by sending a deadly voltage of purple electricity through his hands to punish the sons of Sparda even further for attempting such a means of defiance.

Dante tried his best to endure the pain only to hang onto his consciousness by a thread but he was shocked to see Vergil receive more of a punishment than him, which rendered Dante’s brother nearer to unconscious, barely having enough strength to defiantly keep one eye open.

“Pathetic.” Astaroth jabbed harshly.

“Astaroth!” Faust called out to him as she shot a beam of white energy directly at his eyes, only for it to dissipate when it collided with an invisible shield that was placed before him.

Astaroth looked down at the defiant one and was actually surprised at what he saw. “I see,” he began, mockingly, “I must have missed one amongst the rest of the vermin.”

Faust placed her hooves firmly in the ground and readied another beam to fire when she was ready.

“Don’t worry, little wretch.” Astaroth said, condescendingly, “I will make sure to make you watch the world cave in on itself when my lord finally returns to rule these worlds. As he rightfully shall!” He sadistically chuckled at the thought of it all.

The moment of distraction was all Dante needed. Using a bit of what strength he had left, he summoned four red swords that quickly began to spin together like a drill and aimed at the wrist of the hand that held his brother.

Astaroth wailed as he felt the pain of swords impaling his wrist course through his entire being, something Dante noticed.

But first, “Faust! Get Vergil!” Dante commanded quickly.

Faust, not needing a reminder launched from her spot and caught the falling son of Sparda on her back and even caught his weapon in her magic.

Before she could get another word in Dante ordered her again, “Get Vergil outta here! I’ve got this!” No response was allowed to be heard as Astaroth roared ferociously and began to turn his focus to Dante.

“One last thing!” Faust listened intently to his words, “Tell my brother not to be late to the party, alright?” He called out with the confident smile he had before.

That same confidence once again flowed through her as she smiled with a firm nod. Without another word, she encased herself, Vergil and his weapon in a white ball of energy and vanished from this plane of reality.

When they left, Dante merely chuckled quietly to himself before focusing all of his attention on the giant eyes, fuelled with primal rage, aiming directly at him.

“YOU SHALL PAY! SON OF SPARDA!” Astaroth bellowed furiously.

“Then come get some!” Dante roared back as he was swiftly dragged into the darkness, ready to take on the general with everything he’s got.

Author's Note:

Here’s part 2 of the Prologue. Feel free to leave your honest feedback. Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards, Darkstone57