• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 642 Views, 20 Comments

Kirin And Changeling - dudenotactive



A kirin who wished to be the best meets a changeling who wished the same. This is how their story began. .

  • ...
1
 20
 642

Books Are Flammable

It was a fine morning, an excellent time to have some breakfast at the Fancy Frog inn. The only inn in town, to be honest, there was nowhere else for a traveler to rest their tired selves since there were barely any. It was a small town, there isn't anything noteworthy about Mud. So it would make sense that there aren't any ponies that would visit this place. It honestly made Minion wonder why an inn was even built.

She sat in one of the many vacant tables of the Inn, and she had just finished a strange pony food called a salad. Her eyes were glued on Kirin who was currently working, he would hop around and gather empty plates so he could bring them back to the kitchen. And honestly, he seemed to enjoy it.

But that wasn't what she was there for, it was about the only unicorn in town. Stoic. The member of the Institute of Peace was having some coffee at the other end of the room. Kirin would sometimes chat with Stoic for a few seconds before going back to work. Stoic hadn't noticed her yet, because she was currently in a disguise. She didn't want to attract attention, so she decided to take on the form of the owner of the local bookstore. A mare named Page Turner. Minion had to make sure the original wouldn't show up in town, so Minion gave Page a visit.

The mare is sleeping soundly in her bed, and Minion predicts that Page would wake up tomorrow morning.

"Oh, hello again." Minion flinched, she turned to find Kirin standing behind her. "Are you done with that Miss Page?" He asked a hoof pointed at the empty plate on the table. She nodded her head and Kirin cheerfully grabbed the plate with his magic. "Stoic wanted to talk to you, Miss Page."

"He did?" Minion was surprised to hear so.

"Yeah, I don't know what it is about but I'm sure it is nothing." With that, Kirin left for the kitchen, Minion was alone once more.

She turned around to look back at Stoic and felt her heart skip a beat. The unicorn was staring right at her with that unreadable look. She swallowed down the lump in her throat and prepared herself for the interaction. After a short walk over to the table, she greeted Stoic with a smile.

"Greetings," He said. "it is a pleasure to see you again, Miss Page."

"Yes, it is." She replied. "Your friend said you needed something."

Stoic took a second to fish through his vest, and a moment after, he produced a book. "Yes, I had recently finished this book I bought and I was wondering if I could bother you for a minute to buy another book."

"You just bought that?" She said with disbelief.

"Um, yes, I bought it from you."

Minion shook her head. "Right, I was just surprised that you finished the book so quickly."

"I couldn't sleep, and I ended up staying up all night reading the book." He sighed. "I'll be honest, I am exhausted right now, but I have important business later. Anyway, could you spare some time to allow me to browse your shop?"

She was hesitant, but Minion realized that this could play in her favor. So without wasting time, she led Stoic out of the Fancy Frog inn and towards the bookstore.


Minion was happy that she brought Page's keys, without it, she would've walked back to the mare's house just to retrieve said keys. But that doesn't matter now, she had a plan in mind that would surely help deal with Stoic. It was simple, she led him to a secluded area far from any possible witness. And bam, she imprisons Stoic and gets rid of him before any damage could be done.

Stoic was browsing through the shelves, he was too busy to even notice her approaching him. Minion removed her disguise so she could focus her magic on a spell. Her horn lit up as she powered it. A grin formed on her face, it was the moment of truth, a window of opportunity opened itself to her.

Just as she was about to cast a spell, Stoic tensed up with his horn glowing brighter than usual, which in turn, caused Minion to panic and donned her disguise. Her heart stopped, she started to sweat more than usual. Slowly, he turned to face her.

But much to her own surprise, Stoic did not attack her. Instead, a book from above was lowered down with his telekinesis. "You should be careful," He warned. "a book as big as this could give you a severe injury."

The book in question is indeed a large book, it was bigger than his head. But that wasn't all Stoic sensed the book just as it was about to hit Minion on the head. He had saved her life, even if she had a tough exterior. Still, she was actually in disbelief. Stoic had managed to detect the book that threatened her life, but not the changeling that was about to take his.

He glanced over the title of the book in his magic and hummed a curious tune. "Well, this is actually what I'm looking for. How much for it?"

"Well considering you are a hero, and you technically saved my life. You can have it for free." She answered.

He smiled. "Just helping out if I could, thanks, Miss Page."

"Would you like to browse some more? Perhaps that book alone won't help you waste time."

"This book is all I need, thank you for the offer." Before Minion could say another word, Stoic had already left.

She frowned deeply, her chance was gone before she even knew. Now alone and feeling like a failure, Minion removed her disguise. She kicked a shelf in frustration, she had a chance she missed it. Minion just needs to find another opening and hopefully, she'll get rid of him. Before she could even devise another plan to dispose of Stoic, something else caught her eye.

Minion was curious about a book on the shelf, she removed it from the rest and examined it closer. It was a cookbook. Recently, after being introduced to pony food by Kirin, Minion couldn't stop trying all kinds of meals. It first started with boiling a random carrot she found in the forest. Then she copied Kirin and made the soup from last time. It ended badly since she couldn't find the right ingredients, but she enjoyed the soup.

The book called out to her, it was as if it is her destiny to find this book here. And the best part was, she was free to steal it and no one would ever know. Now in her hooves, Minion began reading the over the content page. Countless recipes intrigued her. Pasta, cakes, soup, and more. Because of Kirin, she grew a fascination for pony food. And this book gave her inspiration.

Though she needed to deal with Stoic, there was no issue about learning new stuff. Minion picked a book about exercising from another row, she knows that too much food makes you weak and fat. She had to watch her diet, she's a soldier, not some slacker.

Just as she was about to leave, the bell rang and a pony entered. "Oh," A mare said as she noticed the other creature in the room. "hello there! You must be Golden Star."

It was at that moment Minion realized that she had used the wrong disguise. Instead of Page Turner, Golden Star was the one who stood where Minion is.

The mare, a blond with a tawny brown coat, and eyes that are almost as blue as Star's. Though they are more of a teal blue to be precise. "Hello?"

Minion was snapped out of her thoughts and was brought back to reality. She had been staring at the mare for far too long.

Minion cleared her throat. "Right, yes. I'm Golden Star, a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm Quick Fuse," She introduced herself. "Wow, you sure are pretty. No wonder the stallions in town couldn't resist staring at you."

Minion smiled. "Thank you, I do my best to look the best." She said proudly.

"Man, you sure are far more approachable than that Stoic guy." Fuse said. "Dude gives me the creeps. Though I heard he saved Potato from a manticore, so I guess he's a nice guy."

"Yes, I heard of it. Though Kirin was the one who trapped the manticore, I believe he deserves some praises as well."

"Kirin? Oh, is that the name of the weird unicorn?" Fuse asked.

"No, it's a nickname that I decided to use, and it stuck to him. I have no clue what his real name is since he couldn't say it, or so Kirin claims."

"I see... What about your brother, where is he?"

Minion paused for a second. "My brother is away, he left to find adventure on his own. I wanted to go with him, but sadly I am too busy with my studies to join."

"Darn, must've been tough on your brother." Fuse commented.

"He's a tough kind of guy, my brother wouldn't be bothered by something like that."

"Oh!" Fuse suddenly cried. "Where's Page anyway? I'm waiting for a book, and I was hoping to hear some news about it."

"The store owner? She left just earlier and said she was feeling a bit ill. She had also asked me to close the store when I leave."

"I should go see if she's alright." Fuse suggested.

"I'm sure she just needs some rest, she seems tired and in need of sleep."

"Oh that Page Turner," Fuse chuckled. "always up late at night reading her romance novels."

"Yes, she seems very fond of them," Minion said, a smile crept upon her face.

"Well, we better close up the shop then," Fuse said as she stepped aside. "After you?"

"Thank you," Minion said as she walked past the mare.


"So, what's up with you and that Kirin guy?" Fuse asked as she followed Golden Star around town.

Minion wanted to go with their separate ways, but Fuse started following her everywhere asking several questions. She wouldn't leave Minion alone and being a nuisance. There were times Minion wanted to just snap at Fuse and bite her face off, but there were too many eyes watching, and that would be trouble to Minion.

"We're friends, that's all." She answered.

"You sure? I mean, a guy and a girl can live in the same house even if they aren't related, but nobody is actually sure what happens."

"I assure you, Kirin is far too busy with his dream to even notice a mare. Besides, he even said that I'm not his type."

Fuse cringed. "Oh, that's just harsh." She replied. "I don't want to imagine if a guy said that to me."

"Yes, it would be tragic."

"So, a cookbook, huh?"

Minion stuttered in her steps. "Oh, yeah. I was curious, that's all."

"Cooking is great, it's lots of fun and very rewarding. By that, I mean the delicious recipes we make!" She said gleefully.

This was a subject Minion was interested in. Minion wanted to experience the heat of the stove, smell the spices, and taste the results. She was honestly excited to try her hoof in cooking. And do it properly this time. The conversation ended up being about food, Minion asked Fuse for some tips and tricks. Quick Fuse was happy to share some information, she was fine with it. At first, it was Fuse who asked the questions, now it was Minion the one who asked the questions.

This went on for a while until Minion bumped into someone and the books she carried fell onto the ground. She stared at her belongings that now decorated the dirt road for a whole minute. Then she bared her rows of sharp teeth, her head turned to glare at the creature she had bumped into. But she calmed a little when she noticed that it was Kirin, who looked as surprised as Minion.

"Kirin?" She asked.

"M- I mean... Star?" He managed to stop himself before he could say her real name.

"Hi!" Fuse stood between the two and shook Kirin's hoof vigorously. "I'm Quick Fuse, it is very nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too," Kirin pulled his hoof away. "I'm Kirin,"

"I know, though I'm curious what your real name is."

"My name?" He smirked. "Well ma'am, it's a name that only my friends and family know of. They are the ones who remembered who I was, a kirin before I came to this small town. Though I am quite fond of my new name, I still keep my first one close to my heart. Today ma'am, you will learn that my name is-"

A book slammed against his face and Kirin was sent towards the ground. He bounced once before he crashed headfirst into the dirt. Minion, the one who struck Kirin, huffed proudly.

"You made me drop my books." She said plainly.

"You do realize that violence is not the right answer." Someone told her.

"Well, whatever answer you have, just shove it up your-" Minion froze once her eyes landed on Stoic. He stood just next to Fuse who had also become frozen like a statue.

There he stood, doing nothing. But Minion noticed something different about Stoic. There was an aura that sent a chill through her. So this is how they see him. Minion thought to herself.

"My what?" He asked as he stepped closer to Minion.

"Y-your... Uh, I didn't mean it."

"So, you're Golden Star." He cleared his throat. "It is a pleasure to meet you, I am Stoic. It is nice to find another unicorn in this town." The aura around him dimmed, yet it still had a presence. It was enough for Minion to be fearful.

"Yes..."

"You seem tense, is there a problem?" He asked, but then something clicked in his mind. Then he chuckled softly, his horn flashed for a second. "Oh sorry, it must be my fear aura."

"Your what?"

"My fear aura, it is a spell that covers the user in an aura that radiates a presence that resembles a greater predator." He explained. "It was a spell made to protect ponies from monsters and other carnivores. I must've left it on when I left the inn."

"I see," Minion hummed. "Well, whatever. I'm gonna go back to my cave."

"Leaving already? Kirin and I were heading over to a restaurant called the Hungry Moth for some fondue. Miss Page told me that it has the best cheese in town." He said.

"Fondue?" Curiosity glimmered in Minion's eyes.

"Yeah, fondue!" Fuse said with glee. "It's a big pot of cheese and you dip stuff into it! You should totally try it!"

"I wanna try the fondue." Minion said.

"Well, you both are welcome to join Kirin and me. And could you please grab Kirin? You are the one who knocked him out." Stoic said as he walked past her.

"Ugh, fine." She scoffed bitterly.

Using her magic, Minion picked up Kirin off the ground. He was out cold thanks to the cookbook. And with Kirin, Minion went after Stoic, Quick Fuse followed her as well. The two ponies and the changeling in disguise were headed for the Hungry Moth. Minion would've declined if she wasn't so curious about fondue. Her curious self might be the death of her, and there's only one person to blame for this small change in her character. And that is Kirin.

Author's Note:

Stoic
-Race: Unicorn
-Mane: Platinum Blonde
-Fur Color: Stone Grey
-Eye Color: Emerald Green
-Cutie Mark: Silver chains that intertwined around a rusty sword with a golden halo on top.

Kirin(Name Unknown)
-Race: Kirin
-Mane: Lime Green
-Fur Color: Creamy White
-Eye Color: Crimson Red
-Scales: Chestnut Brown

Minion:
-Race: Changeling.
-Mane/Neck Fin: Dark Arctic Bluish Grey.
-Chitin: Sea Greenish Black.
-Eye Color: Arctic Blue.
-Hive Role: Independent.

Quick Fuse:
-Race: Earth Pony.
-Mane: Light yellow.
-Fur Color: Tawny brown.
-Eye Color: Teal Blue.
-Cutie Mark: Two sticks of dynamite with both fuses lit.