• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 4,265 Views, 81 Comments

Revan - Perception Filter

  • ...
18
 81
 4,265

Chaper 3

Revan
Chapter 3

Rainbow Dash didn't trust this weird alien. The way it had calmly approached them right after it had destroyed Twilight's library didn't stand right with her. Of course, she didn't know why her friends were being so nice to it, especially Applejack. She was letting the thing carry Twilight, for pony's sake! So, of course, like any logical pony would do, she kept her eyes on it and didn't let it do anything to her friend.

Soon, it became apparent to her that they were walking to Applejack's farm, and Rainbow cautiously floated past the alien and up to the orange mare.

"Applejack, are you sure you this is a good idea?" she whispered, a subtle hint of anger lacing her voice. "We have no idea who this alien is or where it came from!"

"Dang it Rainbow, I can just tell, this thing doesn't mean us any harm. Look, it even offered to carry Twilight for us!" she replied.

"Yeah, but it could just be trying to gain our trust! How do you even know what it wants, with that weird mask on?!" she complained, her voice rising in volume.

"Rainbow, I said I just know! It came forward to us and didn't try to attack us or nothin'!"

"Fine," Rainbow Dash said, determined to have the final word. "But I'm keeping my eye on it and you can't change my mind."

There was a moment of silence before Applejack responded again. "I didn't say you shouldn't watch it, we don't know what it wants, but I don't think it wants to hurt us. Something tells me if it could get out of that wreck of... metal... it wouldn't..." her sentence drifted off, and she fell silent.

~~~

Revan could tell the two creatures in front of him were arguing over him. The way the blue one had reacted to him earlier, and now the way it spoke in hushed tones and kept glancing at him while it spoke with the orange one told him that easily. However, Revan decided to keep his mouth shut. He knew that they couldn't understand him, and it would just cause further confusion. After a few minutes of walking, they appeared on some sort of... well, Revan wasn't sure what to call it. There were trees that reached out over rolling hills as far as he could see, but they were heading towards a duo of buildings. One was red, with white stripes, and the other was orange-ish.

One other thing Revan had noticed about this world, almost all of their buildings seemed to be made of stone, or wood! Obviously, he knew these things existed and that primitive cultures often used them for building materials, but it was a shock nonetheless. Revan's mind had already come up with a few questions to ask these creatures, but he had no way to learn their language besides... No, he wouldn't do that again. He wasn't like that anymore.

Tearing the language from the mind of another race and giving them the knowledge of yours, while not harmful in the long-term, was excruciating for the second party involved. He was determined not to do that unless there was no other alternative.

They carefully walked up to the orange, two-story building and the orange one opened the door, and they all filed in, but as Revan stepped forward to enter, he realized he was too tall. The rest of the creatures had moved into the house and to a room to the right except the blue one, who glared at him. He did a crouching motion and tried to move forward then shook his head and did another shrugging gesture, hoping that it would understand him.

The blue one narrowed its eyes at him even more and moved off. Revan heard a few spoken words and it came back with the orange one, who motioned for him to crouch down. He did so and then offered out the purple one he was carrying, and they balanced it on both of their backs and moved into the house slowly. Revan then stood up and awkwardly waited for a few moments before the orange one trotted out and looked at him and frowned.

It gave him a shrug and motioned him in. Although he disliked the prospect of crouching through the only a little bit small for him doorway, the only other option was to wait the night on the porch. So, he bent over and managed to duck his head under the door frame before finding himself in a house that he could actually stand up in, if not easily. The ceiling was about three inches above his head.

The house was nice, although not by the standards he was used to. There was some sort of lamp, a desk and table, both made of wood, and a couch. The purple creature was lying on that comfy piece of furniture, the rest were sitting on the floor. The whole group was talking again, and he frowned. Not understanding what they were saying was pretty annoying. So, since he couldn't participate in the conversation, he sat down with legs crossed, and began to meditate.

Breathe in, and out. Time each breath; keep your heartbeat steady. As he fell into his meditation, the gibberish that the creatures was speaking was drowned out, and before his closed eyes, he saw a vision.

~~~

The Sith ship flying above the planet came into view. For a few moments, he observed the ship and realized it was the same make as his Leviathan flagship from when he was a Sith Lord himself. Soon, his vision shifted him elswhere. He saw the inside of the ship, and in a windowless, near lightness room. There, he saw one of the creatures chained in the darkness. The door opened behind him, and the creature cried in what was undoubtedly fear.

~~~

Revan opened his eyes as his vision ended, and he saw all the creatures, including the purple one, who was now awake, staring at him. Some looks of fear, some of curiosity, and one, from the purple one, of amazement. He took a moment to move his head to show that he could see them now, and they all started to chat again, still looking at him. The purple one did say something, but he got the feeling that it was directed towards him instead of the others. Revan shrugged again, as was becoming a habit, and shook his head. The purple one frowned, and turned towards the orange one and started to talk to it.

After a very brief conversation, the purple one got up and started walking before letting out a cry and collapsing on the ground after putting weight on it's back leg. Revan, reacting without thinking, jumped forward and barely caught it before it fell down completely. Looking back at it's leg, he quickly examined it, and the creature remained stock still while he did, as if any wrong move would anger him.

'Maybe that's what they were talking about...' he mused quietly in his mind. Soon, Revan found that the would was completely beneath the skin, and it seemed as if the bone had not pierced any muscle. Glancing up, he saw the entire room examining him carefully, and the blue one glaring at him again. Revan gently backed away from the pony and did a series of gesture that he hoped they would understand. First, he held his hands about a foot apart, about the length of the creatures leg, then knocked on the wood table, before doing it again.

The creature's looks turned from caution to confusion. Revan sighed exasperatedly and looked around the room, looking for anything he could mime with. Seeing a book, he picked it up and glanced inside it. Complete gibberish to him, as he expected. Setting the book down, he tried to think of something else. Snapping his fingers, which caused everyone to half-jump in shock, he held out one hand and mimed wrapping something around it. The white one was the first to respond with what seemed to him as an "Ah-hah!" and it ran out of the room, coming back with a bed sheet which it was holding in the air with no apparent effort. Revan's eyes widened as he realized that this creature was using the Force.

Quickly, and without thinking about it, he extended his senses to it, and as soon as he touched its mind, the creature flinched, froze, and dropped the bedsheets. For a moment, Revan didn't realize what had happened, before his head was assaulted by pain and he clutched his head and gasped. Though the top of his eye, even though he wasn't really paying attention at the time, he saw the creature clutch its head with both of it's legs and fall over whimpering.

Then suddenly, he felt a word come to his mind. It wasn't a word of his language, but he said it out loud nonetheless, "Rarity?" The room gasped in shock, but before anyone could move, the white... pony... lifted its head and whispered, "Revan..."

~~~

Rarity was more shocked than any other of the group when the alien creature, this... Revan, spoke her name. What shocked her further is that the next words she spoke were in a different language, and although she did not recognize it all, she spoke fluently.

"How did you...?" she whispered. To her astonishment, Revan responded, although in his own language.

"I touched your mind with the Force. I saw that you were capable of handling it, and I thought to communicate with you through it. It seems I achieved my goal, albeit in a roundabout manner." He then bowed gently, then spoke again. "Although you already know my name Miss Rarity, I must introduce myself as Revan, a Gray Jedi. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The white pony paused for a moment before responding. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Revan. I'm glad to see you are a proper gentleman. Rainbow Dash was quite afraid you were up to something sinister..."

"Ah, I must assume this 'Rainbow Dash' is your blue friend." After speaking, he turned towards Rainbow dash and held out his hand. "Would you be so kind, Rarity, as to tell her I mean no harm? Oh, and please ask her to accept my apology for crashing into your library. I sincerely did not wish that. I don't wish to leave a bad impression."

Rarity turned towards Rainbow dash and repeated Revan's message in their own language, and Rainbow Dash lifted an eyebrow before spouting off a quick line. The human turned towards Rarity and waited for her to translate.

"Well... she says that she shouldn't be the one you're apologizing too. I must find myself agreeing, as it was not a simple library you ruined, it was Twilight's house as well." She finished by pointing towards the purple pony. Revan looked towards the pony in question and saw her starting to tear up. Not only had he injured this pony, he had destroyed her home.

Sitting down on his knees, he looked Twilight in the eye and gave the most simple apology he could think of. "I am sorry, truly, for what I have done to you. As I said, it was never my intention for any of this to happen. Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

Even as Rarity finished repeating his last words, Twilight began to cry. Suddenly, Revan felt the intense need to comfort her, but he didn't know if she would appreciate the person who just destroyed her home comforting her. He looked towards Rarity, unsure of what to do.

"You must forgive the poor dear," she said. "She's under a great deal of stress."

Revan nodded, knowing that there wouldn't be much that he could do. "Will you ask her if she will allow me to try and heal her leg? Or, at the very least, splint it?"

Rarity raised an eyebrow. "How would you heal it?" Confused at her response, Revan cocked his head at her. "With the Force, of course. I simply assumed you had not used it to heal her because you did not know how."

Rarity's face scrunched up, and she responded, "I'll ask her for you, but I don't know what this "Force" is you're talking about darling." She turned towards Twilight and comforted her for a minute or two, during which Revan awkwardly waited, fidgeting. After the purple pony was done crying, Rarity whispered Revan's request into her ear, and Twilight looked up at him and said something.

Rarity's translation as not long incoming. "She says you can splint it, if you know how." Revan nodded and began to list the things he would need, and Rarity gave those instructions to the other ponies and they ran off quickly, eager to help their friend. Even Rainbow Dash sped off enthusiastically. Soon, the ponies returned with the requested supplies, and Revan swiftly and cleanly splinted Twilight's leg.

"Try not to walk on that too much until it heals. You might also want to get it looked at. It will only prevent you from bending your leg and making it worse." Revan shrugged as he finished speaking. "I'm sorry I can't do more." After Rarity translated, Twilight nodded to him and gave him a meager smile.

~~~

After Celestia had sent Luna back to bed, she began to prepare for her time in day court. When she finished her preparations, which involved little more than making sure the stenographer would be present, she knew she would have some time for a walk through the gardens. It was something she enjoyed doing, even more so with her sister Luna, but with their respective duties, it was not often permissible. Regardless, she set off, admiring the statues and the calmness of it all. Any ponies she came across were all napping or gently talking to each other and did not notice her presence.

As she approached the edge of the garden overlook, she paused to glance over all she could see there. Ponyville was a prominent sight, yet from this distance it was little more than a brown cluster of barely recognizable buildings. After a few moments, Celestia felt something in her gut, and she tensed up. A moment passed... then another, and nothing happened. Just as she was about to relax and write off the feeling as nerves, there was a faint crack, and a flaming meteor came streaming through the sky, headed straight towards Ponyville.

Immediately, Celestia directed her magic at the missile, but as fast as the Sun Princess was, the meteor was faster, and soon it landed with a small explosion in the very middle of town. Celestia immediately ran off into the castle, determined to find out what was going on.

As it turned out, her day was going to be much more interesting than she thought.

Author's Note:

Uh, so, I didn't have anyone to proofread this, and I didn't want to put it off any longer. Sorry if there's any drop in quality.
Report any grammar/spelling errors please?
If this chapter gets too much negative feedback, I'll revise it a bit.