• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 610 Views, 1 Comments

A New Beginning 2 - Emeris Moonglade



Luna has been captured by Changlings

  • ...
 1
 610

The return of the Changlings

Chapter 1


“Don’t call me that.” John demanded. “Mah name is John.”
“Oh yes, that’s right. You think you have a say in what you are. How pleasant.” John eyes turned black. Sparks of lightning ran up and down the blade of his sword.
“Now it’s time ah take you down.” John stated as he rushed to him. In an instant he pulled out a potion from his thick blue cloak and threw it to the ground. With that a swirling portal grew out of the stone, sucking John in. “AH WILL GET YOU YET ARAK’ARAHM!! JUST YOU WAIT!!”
“I plan on it Soulslayer.” He chuckled menacingly as the portal closed and John was once again sucked into a black oblivion.


Lightning crashed against the land across Equestria and thunder boomed and shook the very foundations of Canterlot. Rain pounded heavily against the golden tiles making up the city of the sun goddess. Not even a storm such as this could dim the ever so magnificent glory that stood against the earth shaking storm. John sat upright instantly at one of the nearer lightning strikes. Whether it was the lightning that woke him up or the dream, he really didn’t know, or care at moment. All he knew is that almost every night he would have one; a dream from his hellish past. Even on occasion a dream before the cataclysm, with him and Elizabeth sitting around a fire with their families all laughing and sharing stories. Amazing how, what he thought would never end, ended almost instantaneously.
Raking a hand through his shaggy black hair; as to brush it out of his face, he slowly slid out of bed and got dress in his dark blue, custom made Wranglers and black turtle neck, thanks to Rarity’s generosity. And a pair of custom all purpose combat boot.
He smiled as he put them on, it reminded him of his only friends since the end of his whole world. He sighed and made his way to the balcony of his luxurious room to where the storm was. Remembering them often made his gut churn, he hadn’t been able to see them ever since his battle with Arak’arahm. Princess Celestia had kept a close eye on him since he absorbed the Elements.
Countless tests had been made and yet no results, and every time they come up with nothing he asked if he can go see his friends. But the answer is always the same. “No, there are still many different tests we can try.” That was two months ago and they still say the same thing. If he stayed here much longer, he may just go crazy. Only his six friends, Celestia, and Luna knew about his past. Luna only had a little time to talk with him, which was honestly the only thing keeping him from jumping off the ledge. But Celestia, she didn’t seem like she cared at all what he needed.
Standing outside John smiled as the hundreds of drops soaked themselves into his hair. There was just something about the rain that soothed him, he was happy it was raining tonight, it always seemed to make him forget of his nightmares. If that’s what he could call them. He remembered his little encounter with the all famous Nightmare Moon. For all he knew, she was the one doing this to him. Digging through his mind, finding out all about him.
There was a knocking at his door.
“Come in.” He called, but not too loud since it was still night. The door began to open with a quiet, rusty grind, then closed with a small clank. He knew who it was however, it was the princess of the night, Princess Luna. She had often visited him at night, seeing he was usually the only one up with her who wasn’t afraid to talk to her. Her bad reputation, being possessed by the nightmare and all has kept her from socially interacting with her fellow ponies.
“Hello Luna.” John spoke as she began to make her way by his side. “Quite the storm we’re having.”
“Yes it is.” She replied, a slight smile at her lips. She sighed and continued, “Another nightmare?” John looked down at his still shaking hands and nodded.
“They just keep on repeating themselves. And they’ve been getting worse.” He smacked the concrete in frustration. “Ah’ve been stuck in this room for two months. Ah need ta get out of here.” He suddenly switched the subject. “Ah’m not even allowed to see Twilight and the others anymore. They’re mah only friends beside yerself. And ah miss them.”
Luna looked at him sympathetically and place one of her hooves on his shoulder. “You know you’re not staying here forever. Celestia just needs you here in case there are any changes.” John looked at her with a blank stare.
“Ya, and if there is ever a change ah can write to her about it and send it through Spike. Remember, instant messaging?” He walked calmly over to a wood bench off to his right and sat down on it. “It’s not like ah’m goin’ ta go anywhere. Ah’ve got nowhere else to go except for Ponyville. That’s mah home now. If Celestia will ever let me have one.”
“I’ll go talk to her.”
“What?” John raised his brow and looked at her. “You’d do that fer me?”
“Yes, and like you said, we are friend. Farewell for now.” She nodded her head and took off without another word. The sudden departure left John staring after her for a few minutes, until he too, eventually went back to his bed.

~*~*~*~*~*~

There was a rapping at the door. John didn’t hear it at first, but eventually that soft rap turned into a pounding that shook dust loose from the ceiling. John bounced up out of bed and hurriedly put on his clothes. Usually in story book, someone in a castle wouldn’t wear jeans or black turtlenecks. That’s why he felt like he was from the future. The pounding began again, this time threatening to knock down the door.
“Coming!” John hollered as he tied his boots and grabbed his sword. After months of deciding, John found it would be more comfortable if his sword was sheathed across his back. It gave him more maneuverability, plus it made it easier to run. Not to mention if he was caught by surprise he could perform a powerful down stroke while unsheathing his weapon.
John rushed to the door and opened it. He found two of Celestia’s royal guards standing outside of his room. It was hard to tell if they were in a hurry or angry, because, of course, their features never changed from their usual expressions.
“Princess Celestia would like to see you.” The guard on the right stated. “Please follow us.” Not only were their features boring, but also their voices. If Equestria was more technologically advanced, he could have mistaken them for robots. Not that he knew much about robots or cyborgs. Just what little he learned from the Terminator.
Many things had raced through his mind on his journey to the throne room. Such as, whether or not Celestia had another test for him to perform, and what the test would be. They soon came upon a pair of large, oak double doors with the sun and moon engrained on either one. One represented the goddess of the night, Princess Luna, and the other, the goddess of the day, Princess Celestia.
“Here we are.” His escorts said as they pushed the doors inward for him to enter. They led to a grand throne room, empty of course except for two throne on the far end. One was smaller than the other however, and both were decorated in different colors. The smaller one was a dark blue, and the larger, and golden yellow. And you could only guess who sat in each of them. There she was, Celestia in all her golden glory, upon a throne that seem made up pure sunlight. With her head held high and a blank stare she looked at John as he approached. Before when he was all knew to the royal procedure, her stare made him feel uncomfortable, but, so far he had been the only one to have ever matched it. Seven years of a living hell could out way a thousand years of peace and happiness.
Though, what always seem to brighten up his day was Luna, who sat in a smaller throne of blackness right beside her older sister. She pulled her sights from the window she had been staring out of to smile at him as he grew closer. Whenever Celestia saw that look in her eye, seemed to be the only time she showed emotion in public. She would glare at John and try to ignore what was going on. Perhaps it was because of his background. All Celestia knew about him was that he was a killer of beast of unimaginable proportion. Not to mention what had happened with the Elements. She probably was annoyed that she didn't know what was going on.
John stopped not fifteen paces from where the royal alicorn sisters sat, an knelt down on the ground in a the fashion that knights would to royalty in his world. There was a moment of awkward silence, it drug on longer than usual however.
"Rise." Celestia said with a smooth silky voice, layered with irritation. John did so, standing stock still as a soldier in the presence of his commander.
"You summoned me yer highness?" He was tough that that was what you were suppose to say. He was still a bit rusty when it came to talking, but manners had been drilled into him since he could walk.
"Yes, I did." She repositioned herself on her seat. "I've heard that you've been having nightmares?" John brought his eyes to meet Luna's, who pretended to take interest in something else.
"Yes." John answered, bringing his eyes to meet Celestia's once again. "Every night." Her eyes never moved or wavered, she just kept her god-like expression on him, never letting him know what she was thinking about.
"You are excused. We will discuss this during breakfast. You may wait for us in the dining hall." John bowed stiffly and turned to walk out the door.
Well that was short. Ah'd have expected a test or a punishment if that. When John reached the large double doors, he grabbed on to two massive iron rings, and with strength to rival a Manticore, and built up frustration, he pulled the doors open, causing the room to shake and roar. It was enough to shock Celestia out of her own thoughts about him. She glowered at him once more as she watched him leave down the hall.
"Celestia?" Luna quietly asked. "What's the matter? I haven't seen you like this for a long time." Celestia seemed annoyed by her question. But answered it as plainly as she had talked to John.
"Because there something familiar about him." she still stared at the doors John had left through.
"Familiar?"
"I think I knew what he was when we first met him. But..." she sighed. "I just have a bad feeling about him."
Luna looked toward the door as well. "That doesn't mean you have to treat him like an outcast. He has friends, dear sister. One of which is your student." Luna stood up and began to walk towards the doors, but paused. "And those friends are all he has in this world." she continued down the bright red carpet until she disappeared out of sight, leaving Celestia to think of what her sister had just said.
Maybe she's right. Celestia thought to herself. Maybe I have been too hard on him. With no real proof that he's harmful. Celestia stood up began to pace left and right. Should I let him go? What risk are there? I suppose he's fine. He had been with my little ponies for quite a few days. She stopped abruptly and looked out the window towards Ponyville. That's it! I'll let him go back to Ponyville. Twilight will be able to keep tabs on him for me. Quickly, but still professional-like, Celestia rushed out of the throne room and made her way toward the dining hall.

~*~*~*~*~*~

There was much food lined up on along the table. Too much for two alicorns and a human. Why was all this food here, and what was keeping Celestia and Luna. It wasn't like them to keep him waiting this long. It had been hours since his meeting with Celestia, and he was starving. God only knew what she would say if he started eating before they arrived. And that brought back the painful realization that, he was trapped here. Held against his will. He could escape at any time, but Celestia would just send her guards out to get him and really lock him up. John head thumped to the table, causing his plate and some of the food to vibrate. What was he going to do? He almost wished he could go back to his planet. Almost.
There was a loud thump as the doors at the foot of the table closed. John lifted his head to see who it was, and what he saw nearly shocked him to death. Standing there, in a row, smiling at him, were his he six friends. Twilight, with her reading glasses and books in her saddle bag. Rarity, in a sparkling dress. Fluttershy, with her warm, welcoming smile. Rainbow Dash, with her wings spread out and a grin from ear to ear. Pinkie Pie with her party cannon; which she fired and showered him with confetti. And last of all, Applejack, dressed up in her boots, hat, and chaps. That's strange, that's the outfit she said Rarity made her for the Gala. And that she'd only wear on special occasions. Well, I suppose this is a special occasion.
"Holy crap!" John exclaimed, stumbling as he stood up. "Ah can't believe ya gals are here." they all began to giggle and raced over to him. Fluttershy was the first however, ramming into him with tears streaming down her cheeks as she gave him a giant hug.
"I missed you so much." Applejack began to fidget when she came to a dead halt in front of them. Something was up with her today. This wasn't the Applejack he knew. Definitely not dressed like that.
"Ah missed ya too Fluttershy." John hugged her back then set her down on the ground. He crouched so he was eye to eye with the rest of his friends, but they all knocked him down and gave him a group hug; except for Applejack. This wasn't like her at all. John looked at her sympathetically, which only caused her to blush and turn away. A slight smile tugged at the corners of his lips. He knew what was going on. He had seen that same exact look before, and it wasn't all that different from Elizabeth's. The rest of the ponies broke their group hug and stepped away so he could get up. He looked back at AJ. Ah'll have ta talk to her alone when ah get the chance. Ah can't go startin' relationships here. Ah like her, ah really do...but... ah'm not a pony. If there was anyway ah could become a pony, ah'd do it.
"What are ya'll doin' here?" John asked, tearing his attention from Applejack.
"Celestia sent me a letter telling us to come up to Canterlot. She said it was urgent." Twilight answered. The rest of them nodded their heads in agreement. "She didn't tell you?" John shook his head.
"Well, I see she prepared a huge breakfast. Obviously she had this planned out." Fluttershy commented.
"She didn't act like it." John muttered under his breath.
"Well what are we waiting for?" Dash interrupted. "Let's eat. I'm starving."
"Rainbow dear, you're always starving." Rarity said as she trotted gracefully over to one of the wooden, high backed chairs that circled the table. "And besides, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna aren't here yet are they?"
"No." Rainbow Dash said grumpily as she folded her forelegs and sat down beside her in a matching chair. John chuckled and went to go sit down in his seat at the end of the table, unfortunately next to where Celestia sat. He leaned on the table and began rubbing his eyes.
"Hey John?" It was Applejack. She was walking over to him and sat down in the chair next to him. "Is everythin' alright. Ya don't look so good."
"It nothin'. Just really tired that's all." He rested his hands on the tabletop and stared blankly ahead of himself for a while, most likely thinking about something.
"Uh...John?" John turned to look at her, his eye tired and his features worn.
"AJ, really ah'm fine." He smiled at her, and she smiled back, leaning over to embrace him.
"Ah missed ya John. Ever since the fight, Celestia hasn't let us here ta visit ya." She squeezed him tighter. "Ah've only ever come to sell apples. But never allowed in the palace." A single tear dripped down her cheek, and John wiped it off. "Ah don't know why she's got ya cooped up like this."
"Neither do ah." He lightly stroked her mane. Ah can't bring it up yet. We're not entirely alone yet. They broke their hold and slightly blushed as they turned to see their friends looking at them while they smiled. They quickly turned a faced their plates, hoping Celestia would walk through the door so they could forget this embarrassing moment. Obviously they knew about their feeling toward each other. This is going to be hard on her when I tell her.
"So, when do you think the Princess's will get here?" Asked Rainbow.
"Well, so far ah've been sittin' here for over two hours waitin'." John answered, still hiding his embarrassment. Twilight gave him a worried look.
"A few hours?" she said, looking toward the dining hall doors. Just then, Celestia walked through them, she too with a look of concern on her divine features. Everyone looked at her.
"Where's Luna?" Fluttershy asked timidly. She glanced about the room, and noticed that Celestia began to stare at her. Not the type of stare that you knew she was thinking, but the type of stare she usually gave John. Fluttershy shied away behind her hair and quickly fluttered to Johns side, who was already up and out of his chair.
"Excuse me?" John said angrily, though he didn't show it very much. He stroked Fluttershy's mane to reassure her. What was wrong with her? She's worse than she usually is. She know stared daggers into him, and John did the same, even more so. Celestia's eyes began to widen and she looked away, retreating out the door and down the hall. Everypony looked at each other in confusion.
"What was that all about?" Pinkie Pie remarked, a big, bubbly smile on her face.
"Ah'm gonna go talk ta her." John said as he walked across the room.
"Not without me your not." Twilight interjected. "I'm her closest friend, you'll need me along."
"Ah don't need anyone along." he stated, grinding his teeth together while his fists shook as he clenched them. Twilight immediately backed away after noticing his sudden outward expressed emotion. Twilight didn't want to get in the middle of this, but she also didn't want a god on god battle to break loose. Celestia looked as if she were going to strike Fluttershy down for just being there, and John looked as if he would throw her across Equestria. This wasn't good. She looked back at her friends, her face pleading for help as John exited the room and down the hall Celestia had just gone. All five of her friends stood up and trotted over to her side.
"Now that is no way to act." Rarity put in, flicking her hair with a hoof. "Do you think we should follow him?"
"I don't want to." Fluttershy squeaked, still hiding behind thick pink locks. "I-I'll just stay here."
"Don't worry sugar." Applejack went over and nuzzled her. "Ah'm sure John won't do anythin' he'd regret."
"It's not John I'm worried about." Fluttershy whispered.