• Published 26th Apr 2020
  • 565 Views, 4 Comments

Operation New World - BlackDawn



What happens when a stable full of pre-war technology

  • ...
1
 4
 565

Chapter 3

“Disen……….pods.” What's that voice? Where am i? Who am i?

“Admini........Adren……….Three a...Four.” Focus, one thing at a time, the voice, it's feminine, if monotone. an-Whoa! What the hell was that!

“We don't have time for them to wake up, Prism! Administer Shock Therapy, now!” Wha-

“AAAAAAA-FUCK!” Pain, pain, so much pain!

I Spasm violently, hopelessly seeking to remove the source of the shock. Eventually, the shock comes to an abrupt end, and the pod I find myself in hisses open.

“Welcome to the land of the living, lieutenant Gadget, Major Scepter.” says a voice off to my right, nodding to me and someone on my left.

First I look at the voice as it speaks, finding a brown-eyed white unicorn in a lab coat, covering his cutie mark. When he nods to someone beside me I turn to look, only to find myself gazing into a pair of deep, blue eyes, ogling me back.

His eyes were like sapphires indented on his black crystalline fur, the sparkles from his fur perfectly resembling the night. Yet somehow, the longer I looked, the brighter he seemed to become.

“Ahem.” I reluctantly managed to break eye contact and bring my attention back to the unicorn.

“My name is Doctor White Hooves, head of the Department of Defense with C.O.R.E., or the Council Research Entity, and as of this moment we are in a bit of an emergency, so we are going to have to be fast.” he, or rather Doctor White hooves, quickly explained, not giving me or my newfound compatriot time to get our bearings.

“First let me ask a couple of control questions, to make sure you still retain cognitive functions, now, question one, what is three times three?”

“Nine.” comes our simultaneous response.

“Good, good, now, question two, what are your names?”

“Uuum.” comes our simultaneous confusion. am I Gadget or Scepter?

“Ah, that is, rather unfortunate.” He expresses with a shake of his head, quickly chirping back up and pointing at me. “Well you are Lieutenant Blue Gadget.” and then he points to the living rock besides me. “And you are Major Onyx Scepter.” He turns his back on us.

“Now for a quick test, if you don't mind.” i once again don't get to voice my opinion as i get hit in the back of the head, i didn't flinch however, as i turned to find… a smashed apple covered in a yellow magic.

I turned to question the doctor only to stop as I saw Onyx Had managed to catch the apple before it reached him, he must have the best reflexes i have ever seen. He looks at me, and while it must be my imagination, I think I see a tinge of red touch his cheeks as he sees me staring.

He quickly turns to the doctor, breaking eye contact with me, again.

“Perfect. Everything is working perfectly.” The doctor states with a grin.

“And what was that, Doctor.” Onyx states with a slight growl, no blush visible. it was probably just my imagination anyway.

“Calm down, it was just a test, to see if our modifications worked!”

“Modifications?” I slip in.

“Yes, each of you have been given a serum for enhanced speed, accuracy, reflexes, strength, and durability!” he states with some enthusiasm. “Fortunately, the serum worked, now we can begin mass production!”

“Hold on, why would you need to mass produce a serum like that?” Onyx butts in “And are you implying that you experimented on us!” Onyx is bristling at the implied series of events.

“Well to answer your second question, yes, but merely because we had no one else available I assure you. And Prism here can answer your first question, Prism?” He calmly gestures at the roof, a sparkling hologram appearing from above in the shape of some unicorn-pegasus hybrid. a pegacorn?

“Hello, as The Doctor has just informed you, my name is Prism, and I will be giving you a brief history of Stable 47, or the Citadel as most call it now, since you first entered the Stable two hundred years ago.”she explains in a slow, monotone voice, a clear contrast from the doctor.

“Wait, two hund-” Onyx started, but was immediately cut off.

“Two hundred years ago the Stable closed to save the occupants inside after evacuations from the Crystal Empire failed due to unknown reasons.” Onyx, seemingly miffed at being cut off, attempts to force his question back in when a yellow bubble appears around his mouth. A quick look towards Doctor Hooves is all it takes to confirm who cut Onyx off again. White Hooves is sporting a slight smirk and a now glowing horn.

“Sorry you two, but we need to hurry things along, we are starting to run out of time.” answers White Hooves to our combined glares. Seeing me preparing to voice my opinion as well, a bubble appears around my mouth as well. He turns back to Prism “Please continue, Prism.”

“Thank you Doctor, now, You and two others, a pegasus and a zebra, were the only ones that made it inside before the end of the war, although the reasons why you were initially on your way here has been cleared from my database.''

“Upon your entrance, you and the others were launched against a wall opposite of you by a blastwave of enormous proportions, radiating you to extreme levels. It is truly a miracle you are even alive.” She seems to look at us apologetically, although that is hard to tell with her monotone voice and uninterested movements.

“With the current equipment of the time we were unable to resuscitate you. There was, however, experimental cryogenic pods which you could theoretically be sustained in until the equipment was prepared.” That explains why we were frozen at least.

“For the first fifty years, everything ran smoothly, with a strong security force, a stable economy, fresh food, water, and air. Even completely self sufficient power from the crystal reactor. Yes, everything ran smoothly, until the Split.” Upon spotting my confusion she seemingly remembers we have no idea what she is talking about, and decides to elaborate.

“You see, the Split occurred when a movement started in the industry sector called ‘The Forge-Burned’. It was a religious movement at the beginning, with everyone who followed the faith following a clergy of priests called the Fire Maidens.”

“The religion spread quickly, seemingly the more that had seen the Fire Maidens, the more who joined their movement. Soon enough, Forty percent of the stable, which contained forty thousand residents at the time, followed the Fire Maidens, with the oldest followers valuing their orders over the overmares.”

“With this sudden shift of power, the overmare was rightly threatened and ordered their arrest. At which point everything went wrong.”

“The Fire Maidens had expected the overmares reaction and had made their own private army who forged crude melee weapons and armor, which while weak compared to Stable Securitys guns, they had the vast number advantage, leading to stable Security being pushed out of the industrial sector until they managed to halt the tide of ponies with superior firepower in tight, long corridors.”

“By the end of the fighting, there were an estimated ten thousand casualties in total, wiping out a fourth of the stables population in a weekend. A truce was made between the overmare and the Fire Maidens. But with this truce, the overmare became more dictatorial with her powers, going as far to stop elections and to put all remaining productive capabilities they had into creating an army.”

“Upon the cancellation of the electoral process, the ponies of the research wing Split from the main Stable Government, who renamed themselves Supreme Stable Command, and formed the Council Research Entity. We employed a series of plasma shields which don't require constant magical upkeep, and instead rely on the reactor, to separate the research wing from the rest of the stable, eventually creating a defense force of synthetic ponies, to enforce the councils laws in our portion of the stable.”

“Thank you, Prism.” White Hooves says as her hologram Disappears and he cancels his magic hold on our mouths. He proceeds to face us and ask “Now, do you have any questions?”

Onyx, being the more observant one, was the first to ask “Yeah, i do, who controls the power, food, and water supply? If they have not surrendered to each other in a hundred and fifty years, i don't see one of them controlling such things.”

White hooves let out a bark of a laugh. “Ha! You're an observant one aren't you? Well, fortunately, the Fire Maidens and the overseer were smart enough a hundred and fifty years ago to realize that would be a problem, so it was written into the truce that three neutral parties would be made to control such things.” Two guards walk in wearing some white armor and carrying extra pipbucks.

“Here take these pipbucks and go to the local map tab while i explain.” We take the pipbucks from the guards and strap them to our hooves, proceeding to follow the doctor's instructions and open the local map.

“Firstly, we have Paragon, they are the ones that run the reactor at the center of the stable, they are very strict, with a strong chain of command, but are well trained and reliable.”

“There is the Pertanian, who runs the hydroponics farm near the bottom of the stable, they have Far less organization than Paragon, but that can be expected from the numerous workers in their employ necessary just to keep the massive farm running.”

“And finally there is The Hub, a company at the top who controls the Massive Atrium near the Blast Door, originally placed there to keep any one faction from seizing control of the exit, but now acts as a central meeting area for traders, and traitors, from all of the factions in the stable.”

On the map, we see a large cylinder like design for the stable, with elevators, stairways, and even the occasional train running from one side of the stable to the other. I quickly realize that with the exception of the Pertanian, who control the entire bottom floor, Paragon and The Hub make up the middle of the stable, like a smaller Cylinder in the middle of a bigger one, leading from the bottom of the stable all the way to the top.

In total there are four, albeit massive, Sectors, each one thirty to fifty floors, with The Forge-Burned occupying the Industry sector with fifty floors in it, Pertanian occupying the Hydroponics floor with fifty more floors, Supreme Stable Command, or S.S.C. as it appears on the map, occupying the Security sector of the stable at the top of the stable with forty floors, and C.O.R.E. occupying the research sector with just thirty floors. The S.S.C., C.O.R.E., and Forge-Burned made a ring around the Paragon and Hub, with the Pertanian being the only floor without a central area, making the Paragons territory cover sixty central floors and The Hubs territory covering the remaining forty.

“Now, is there anything else?” states White Hooves as we look up.

“Yeah.” This time I'm the one with a question. “Two actually.”

“Oh, well please hurry, we have important business to get to.”

“Firstly, what was the serum you injected us with?”

“Oh, we just call it the ‘Alicorn serum’ beyond that, you will need to get the proper clearance level to know anything else about it. Now, What was your last question?” he quickly rattles off and changes the subject, much to my annoyance.

“Ok, I'll get that clearance, but for now, why do you keep stressing that we are on a time limit?” he appears to become nervous as he opens his mouth.

"Well, you see-" Suddenly a loud crash can be heard as the power cuts out and red emergency lights power on.

“Ah, it would seem that we are out of time.”