• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 11,560 Views, 34 Comments

Pretty Little Ditty - Closer-To-The-Sun



A compilation of short, one chapter fan-fictions.

  • ...
2
 34
 11,560

Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground (Big Mac X Rainbow Dash)

Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground

“And I think I'm gonna stick around/For a while so you're not alone.” –The White Stripes, “Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground”

Night had fallen across Equestria and the full moon had risen. While most of Ponyville was off celebrating the Apple family's victory over the Flim Flam Brothers and their cider-making machine, one lone red stallion was still on the farm. Big Macintosh was one the kind of pony that didn't rest until everything was done for the day, and after the challenge from the Flim Flam Brothers, a part of Sweet Apple Acres was quite a mess. He had to first dispose of the bad cider that was made. He then from there had to break down all of the barrels that held the cider down into nothing but planks of wood since they could not hold any cider without the awful taste of the bad cider. It was time consuming work and took him until late to finish the task. Even after that, he still had more work to do, cleaning up the mess made by the machine. Twigs, bad apples, and leaves were in a pile where the machine once stood and emptied the rejected cider material. He walked over to the barn to get a cart to move the waste. However, on his trot over, he saw a pony in the distance. While the moon was full, he had trouble identifying the pony. He then saw the figure take flight and soar is direction. Big Mac then noticed who it was by her multi-colored mane: it was his sister's friend Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, Big Mac," Dash called as she landed near the stallion.

"Evenin', Miss Rainbow Dash," he replied to the pegasus, "What brings ya 'round these parts?"

"Oh, heh, well, I was looking for ya," Rainbow Dash spoke nervously. She couldn't say that she was watching him from a distance for the past few minutes.

Big Mac raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Heh, yeah," Rainbow said, rubbing a hoof on the back of her neck, "I was lookin' for ya cause I wanted to tell ya that you were pretty awesome earlier today making that cider. You kicked major flank."

Big Mac smiled before continuing to get the cart, "Well, you were quite 'awesome' yerself, Miss Rainbow Dash." The word 'awesome' felt very alien to Big Mac. While he had no issue with saying it, he just thought it sounded weird for him.

Dash, who was behind him, blushed slightly at his words. She shook her head quickly and then soared to catch up to Big Mac, "Ya know, we make a pretty good team."

"That we do," he replied as he neared the barn.

Rainbow Dash stopped as Big Mac entered the barn then came out not two minutes later with a cart attached to him. He was quick to trot back to the field where only a few hours ago, all of Ponyville came to watch the Apple family competed against the Flim Flam Brothers. Rainbow Dash followed along and watched as Big Mac cleaned up the pile of waste. There was a strong silence that filled the night air. It was something Big Mac was used to, but drove Rainbow Dash crazy. However, it wasn't her who broke the silence.

"Um, Miss Rainbow Dash? Why are ya still here?" the red stallion asked.

This caught the light blue mare of guard, "Oh, uh….I was just thinking about all the cider that was made here earlier today. You guys did make quite a lot against those Jib Jab Brothers."

"Flim Flam," Big Mac corrected her, "and eeyup."

Rainbow Dash nodded, "Yeah, those losers. And I still can't believe Pinkie Pie got so much of this year's cider. Kinda stinks. Guess I gotta wait until next year." Rainbow's words were sorrowful. She looked down at the dead leaves on the ground that were being blown away by the gentle breeze that was picking up.

Big Mac paused for a moment before reattaching the cart to himself, "Follow me, Miss Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow Dash's ears perked at her name, "Huh? Uh, okay. And could ya stop calling me 'miss'? Ya sound like one of my grandpa's friends or somethin'."

Big Mac smiled at her comment as he trotted along. The silence between the returned. Big Mac took his time to going back to the barn and it drove Rainbow Dash crazy. She wasn't made for a leisure and slow pace, she was one for speed. However, she managed to keep herself from appearing too anxious and curious of what he was planning.

After what seemed forever in the eyes of Rainbow Dash, Big Mac arrived at the barn and unhooked himself from the cart, parking it carefully to the side. Big Mac then entered the barn again. A few minutes later, he emerged with a recognizable barrel on his back. Rainbow Dash knew that it was an apple cider barrel and her face lit up.

"Is….Is that a…." Dash couldn't finish her words.

"Eeyup, apple cider barrel," Big Mac finished her sentence.

"B-But I thought all of it was gone after today!"

"Eenope. Each member of the Apple family gets their own personal barrel every year, this here's mine," Big Mac explained to the pegasus

"Your personal barrel?" Dash was in amazement.

"Eeyup, and ah'd be quite honored if the pony who helped us work our hardest shared some of my personal cider with me."

Dash couldn't believe her ears, "I-I couldn't! I mean, this is your own personal stash!"

"Ah insist, Miss Rainbow Dash."

It was those words from Big Mac that Rainbow Dash agreed with a little pink in her cheeks, "Alright then, if ya insist."

Big Mac nodded and instructed her to get two mugs from inside while he began to make his way to a near by hill.

Rainbow Dash was quick with her errand and returned to Big Mac on the hill with the two mugs. The red stallion opened the barrel with Rainbow Dash right next to him. The sweet aroma filled both of their lungs. Rainbow Dash gave the mugs to Big Mac who in turned dipped them into the amber liquid. Giving on mug to Rainbow Dash, they knocked their glasses together.

"Here's to our friendship. From one awesome pony to another!" Rainbow Dash cheered.

"Eeyup!" Big Mac chimed in.

The two ponies drank cider under the moon and stars. Eventually, they finished the barrel, mostly because Rainbow Dash refused to stop drinking, saying it was the best tasting cider she ever had. Dash eventually fell asleep after drinking so much. Smiling, Big Mac put her on his back and took her to back to the barn. He laid Rainbow Dash on a pile of hay for her to sleep. Big Mac then fell asleep in the barn himself, watching over the light blue pegasus.

END