• Published 20th Apr 2020
  • 1,197 Views, 35 Comments

Equestria Girls: The Railway Stories - friggin normie

  • ...
3
 35
 1,197

Thomas Gets Tricked

It had taken a few weeks, but Thomas had finally gotten the hang of shunting trains. Edward had wished him well and returned to his usual duties, leaving the teal engine to his own devices. At first, things had been quiet, with nothing more than a passing 'hello' to Henry and Edward. Until one day, Thomas decided to have some fun.

Gordon had just come back from pulling the express, and was dozing in a siding. Thomas, goggled to himself and quietly sidled up beside the sleeping engine.

"Peep, peep, peep! Wake up, Lazybones! Why don't you work hard like me?" Thomas laughed and ran off before Gordon could respond.

"Thomas!" His driver admonished. "You know you shouldn't tease the other engines like that!"

"Oh, lay off Twilight," Spike laughed. "We're just having a bit of fun."

"It won't be fun when he gets back at you for that," she muttered. "And don't call me 'Twilight!' I doubt anybody else is being called by a nickname."

Spike rolled his eyes. "You really haven't been talking to anybody, have you?"

Thomas paid them no mind, and went on thinking he was clever.


The next day, Gordon was trying to rest again. Not wanting to deal with Thomas' shenanigans, the big engine decided to rest in the carriage sheds. He had just closed his eyes when-

"Peep, peep, peep!

Gordon growled as Thomas ran off laughing.

"Why on Earth would Celestia bring such an immature engine to the yard?"

Rainbow Dash sighed. She too had been trying to rest when Thomas popped in. "It was either get him or deal with that slow coach Edward being late. Don't worry though. I'm sure he'll get sick of it soon."

"And if he doesn't?"

"We can deal with it."


Unfortunately, Thomas didn't get sick of it. And no matter how hard she tried, Twilight couldn't get Spike and Thomas to cut it out. After another week of whistling and being called names, Rainbow Dash decided to take matters into her own hands.

One morning as the engines were being fired up for the day, Rainbow approached Twilight.

"Oh, you're Reyna, right?" The newer driver asked. "What seems to be the-"

"You know what's the matter! You and your little tank engine keep screwin' with me and Gordon! Cut it out!"

Twilight had been taken by surprise by this, but quickly grew angry. "You think I like watching my brother and our engine act like children?! I've been trying to get them to stop for days now!"

"Well, you're clearly doing a terrible job. So either get them to stop, or I will!"

The engines watched on in mild interest. None of them had ever seen Twilight get worked up before, so it was a bit of a surprise to see it.

Twilight jumped aboard Thomas and roughly opened the regulator.

"Um, Twilight?" Thomas asked nervously.

"Don't," she answered curtly. "Just. Don't."

For the rest of the day, Twilight was in a poor mood. She wouldn't speak to Spike, and she wouldn't speak to Thomas. It wasn't until Thomas had taken away Gordon's coaches that the irate driver finally spoke up.

"You know how I've been telling you guys to stop messing with Gordon?"

Thomas and Spike hesitated for a moment. "...Y-yes?"

"Forget what I said."

Thomas saw Gordon up ahead and weighed his options. On one hand - er, buffer - he now had the chance to tease Gordon without being yelled at. On the other, Twilight agreeing to go with his games was a clear sign that he absolutely shouldn't do it.

I'm sure you can guess which one he picked.

Thomas puffed up besides Gordon and whistled as loudly as he could.

"Peep, peep, peep! Wake up, Lazybones!"

Thomas ran off laughing, leaving Rainbow and Gordon to let out a string of obscenities.

"That's it!" Rainbow cried, red in the face. "I told them to stop, and they didn't listen!"

Scootaloo gulped. She knew that Rainbow could be more impulsive than usual. "Now Rainbow, let's not do something we'll regret."

But Rainbow wasn't there. She had walked to Gordon's front to come up with a plan to get back at Thomas.


The next morning, Thomas couldn't wake up. Spike tried to get his fire going, but Thomas didn't move.

"Come on, Thomas! The express is due soon!"

"Gordon can wait," Thomas yawned. "Goodness knows he'd appreciate the rest."

"But the passengers can't wait," Twilight chimed in. "So get up and get going!"

"Alright, I'm going. Alright, I'm going."

Slowly but surely, Thomas made his way out of the yard and collected the coaches.

"Hurry up, you." Gordon spat.

"Hurry yourself," Thomas puffed.

As Thomas puffed to the platform, Gordon and Rainbow grinned.

"Yes, we will."

Thomas had barely stopped before Gordon hurried to the front of the train.

"Poop, poop, poop," he whistled. "Get in quickly please!"

The people got in, the doors slammed shut, and the guard blew his whistle. Gordon shot off like a rocket...with Thomas being dragged along for the ride. Gordon had started so quickly that the workmen didn't have the chance to uncouple Thomas!

"Gordon!" Thomas called. "What are you doing?!"

"Having some fun!" The big engine called back. "Surely, you can understand!"

Spike wanted to slam Thomas' brakes on, but Twilight wouldn't let him.

"Having his wheels lock at this speed will damage them for sure!"

So the poor trio had no choice but to be dragged along across the island.

"You can't get away! You can't get away!" The coaches laughed.

"I'll never be the same engine again!"

Eventually, Gordon came to a stop. Thomas was uncoupled, puffed to the water tower, and had a long drink.

"Well, little Thomas," Gordon laughed, "I suppose you've learned what hard work really is, haven't you?"

But poor Thomas couldn't answer.

"Guess we really showed them, didn't we?" Rainbow Dash laughed.

"Gordon and Reyna, what is the meaning of this?!"

The trio grimaced. There was something neither of them had accounted for when they had made their plan. That being Celestia.

"Would either of you mind telling me why our station pilot was still coupled to your train?!"

Before either of them could speak up, Scootaloo jumped in. "Thomas kept whistling at us when Gordon was trying to rest so he and Rainbow decided to play a trick on him as payback!"

Celestia took a deep breath and sighed. "I'll be speaking with everybody involved tonight."


That evening, Thomas and Gordon found themselves parked outside of the big station. Their respective crews had just finished explaining the situation to Celestia.

"Well, clearly I need to say it again. This is a railway. Not a playground! Thomas, I know you're still young, but please refrain from playing tricks on the other engines. The same goes for you, Spike."

"Yes, Miss Celestia."

"And Gordon. If you have a problem with another engine, come to me. Don't take matters into your own buffers."

"Yes, Miss Celestia."

"Tara, I had hoped that you knew better than to go with such childish games just because you had a problem with one of your coworkers. Please don't let this happen again."

"I'm sorry Miss Celestia. It won't happen again."

Celestia turned to Rainbow and pinched the bridge of her nose. "And Reyna, this is the second incident you've been involved in this month. If you get caught up in something else, I'll have you suspended from the footplate. Do I make myself clear?"

"Y-yes, Miss Celestia."

"Good."

Celestia turned on her heel and walked into her office.

Rainbow sighed. "Listen Tara. I'm sorry I blew up at you like that. And for, y'know, dragging your engine across the island."

"No, I'm sorry. I should've tried harder to get Thomas and Spike to stop."

"Mind if we start over?"

Twilight chuckled and held out her hand. "Sure. I'm Tara, but my brother and Thomas like to call me Twilight Sparkle."

Rainbow took her hand and shook it. "I'm Reyna, but I prefer to be called Rainbow Dash. Wanna be friends?"

Twilight thought for a moment. "Sure, I don't see why not."

And the two friends boarded their sadder and wiser engines and headed to Tidmouth Sheds.