• Published 20th Apr 2020
  • 853 Views, 19 Comments

Repercussions - vortex123



A traitor is faced with the consequences of his actions.

  • ...
 19
 853

Down, but not out

Crystal Empire

Throne Room

"Fleetfoot, Soarin, Spitfire, Thunderlane, Big Macintosh, Maud Pie, Bonbon." The ponies in question looked to Cadance as she called their names. "Thank you for coming."

"Thanks for having us." Spitfire returned with a smile. She then looks around. "We the only ones who showed up?"

"No, the others have already settled in." The princess of love answered. "Now before we continue, are you all prepared for what's to come?"

"Yes." Maud said simply.

"Apples stick together. Ah doubt I'm the only Apple that'll show up." Big Mac said with a nod, shocking Sweetie on account of him saying more than one word.

"I might be a simple candy maker, but I’m sure I can help." Bonbon said with a nod, then snuck a glance at Celestia, who smiled in return.

"We wouldn't be here if we weren't." Spitfire said, her three companions nod in agreement. "The rest of the Wonderbolts are staying behind to cover for us, but they'll help too."

"I'm glad to hear. My aunt will take it from here." Cadance says as Celestia steps forward.

"Shining may go on and on about how we don't have what it takes to lead Equestra. But there's something me and my sister have done, that he's only experienced as a drill or training exercise." She paused for a moment, then continued. "A real war."

"I can confirm that." Luna said with a nod. "When a creature experiences war, it haunts their dreams for the rest of their mortal life, though I saw no such nightmares in his dreams."

"Thank you Luna." Celestia says with a small smile, then frowned as she looks to the group. "Unfortunately we don't have much time. While Shining was correct about the potential threat of the dragons and griffins, he failed to take something into account. The whole reason they haven't attacked yet, is that I was too big of a threat to them. And with Luna's reappearance, and the rise of two more Alicorns. And the fact that we also had the Elements of Harmony, and the Crystal Empire, (baring certain creatures) peace for this country was pretty much guaranteed. But with all four Alicorns no longer protecting Equestra, and without the ability to actively use the Elements, that peace is no longer guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already aware of this, say what you want about them, but they pay close attention to any vulnerabilities."

"So what's the plan?" Maud asked, just as simply as before.

"Unfortunately it takes years to learn how to fight in a war directly, and we don't have that much time. I'd say we have about a month to fix this before things go down. But if we act quickly, we should be in the clear, for the most part at least." Celestia said, then sighed. "Now for the part I dreaded the most. We'll have to sabotage their food and water supply. It's the quickest and subtlest option, and with them having their hooves filled with the fallout of their actions, there's a high probability that they won't figure out what happened until it's too late."

"That can wait until after you seven get settled in, and meet the others." Cadance said.

"Yes, please follow me." Celestia said with a nod, then walked towards the hallway. The seven preceding to follow along.

During the walk, the seven decided to have a conversation.

"Hey, Bonbon, right?" Spitfire called.

"Yes, and what do you need?" Bonbon both answered and asked with a raised brow.

"What made you come here?" Spitfire asked. Seeing Bonbon's confused look, she elaborated. "The Wonderbolts, despite our reputation for stunt flying, are a military force. This treason is important to us because Shining used the military to achieve his goal by killing civilians. Big Mac and Maud are here because of their sisters. But you, you're different. Oh it's obvious you're more then willing to go through with this, but unlike Big Mac and Maud, you seem oddly calm too."

"Maud seems pretty calm to me." Bonbon points out, slightly on edge.

"Yeah. But it feels, I don't know, different with you." Spitfire says with a frown. "Like how Dash and her friends looked whenever they had to deal with something." Hearing that, Bonbon calms down a little, but is still not dropping her guard.

"What do you mean?" Bonbon asked curiously.

"You look like you're used to this." Maud said simply, the two looked at Maud in shock. "Pinkie had a tendency to say things that often confused ponies. I have a lot of experience simplifying things."

"Uh…yeah. Anyway." Spitfire said, still a bit weirded out. "I can understand if you had some connection to the military. But the fact that you clearly don't, and the fact that you're so calm. It just seems strange to me"

"Ah." Bonbon said, no longer on edge. "Well, while I don't have a reason as direct as you all, I do have a reason. They've already killed ponies to make a point, so the way I see it, my life's in danger either way. So why stay home and twiddle my hooves, and worry if they'll kill me to make a point, when I can try to do something about it? I'm not safe either way, so why not try to do something while I still can?"

"I guess that makes sense." Spitfire said with a nod. "As long as you're willing to help, I guess it doesn't really matter either way."

They continued to trot in silence for a bit, then Bonbon looked at Maud.

"Maud." She called, earning the mare's attention. "You wouldn't happen to share your sister's strange abilities, would you?" She asked, causing everypony (save for Celestia) to look at the gray mare in curiosity.

"No, only she can do what she does." She answered, then thought for a moment. "Actually, in one of her letters, she did mention somepony else who could do what she does." This gains everyone's attention (again, save for Celestia).

"Well don't keep us in suspense!" Soarin said. "Who is it?"

"His name is-"

"-Cheese Sandwich at your service." The stallion in question suddenly said in a low tone, cutting Maud off, and startling everypony save for Maud.

"WHOA!" Thunderlane nearly shouted. "Where'd you come from?"

"I've been following you for the past 10 minutes." He answered with a smile. Maud looked him over.

"You'er Cheese Sandwich?" She asked. He simply nods. "Save for how you look, you don't seem anything like she described. So why were you following us?"

"My…intuition told me to follow you. My gut feelings haven't failed me yet, so I thought 'why not'." He said, tilting his hat.

"Well I can attest to him being like Pinkie. I was there when he was visiting Ponyville, though he was nowhere near this calm." Bonbon said, confusion clear on her face.

"And here we are." Celestia said, stopping in front of a set of double doors. "If you all would-" She cut herself off as she noticed Cheese.

"Hi." The stallion greeted with a smile.

"Hello..." She says with confusion, then looks to the others. "When did he start following us?"

"Apparently around 10 minutes ago." Fleetfoot shrugs.

"Huh…" Celestia then shakes her head. "Sorry I didn't notice you there my little pony, my minds been elsewhere recently."

"No problem your highness." He said.

"Right..." She said, taking a moment to get her mind in order. "As I was saying. If you all would go through this door, we can get things started." The ponies say nothing as they trot inside.