• Published 4th Apr 2020
  • 598 Views, 22 Comments

A Great and Powerful Comeback - PrecogLaughter



Guidance Counselor Trixie misses her glory days as a performer, so she and Starlight put together one last show.

  • ...
2
 22
 598

Chapter Four - "Another Nice Mess"

“I swear this thing got heavier,” said Starlight in between heavy breaths.

“Maybe you’re just getting soft. Sitting behind your desk all day; it’s a far cry from the adventure and excitement of saving the world,” Trixie replied.

“Managing an entire school can be just as much of an uphill battle as fighting a changling queen,” Starlight panted. “And speaking of uphill battles, has this hill always been this steep?”

“Hang on I’ll go behind and push.”



Three days had passed since Trixie got the approval from Starlight to stage a revival of her magic show and a date was set; the school’s great hall was all hers at the end of the week. She set to work right away gathering her old props from her trunk. She made sure they were still in working order. For the most part they maintained the familiarity that Trixie hoped they would: the juggling balls had the same weight to them that she remembered, the chain used in her escape act was just as sturdy, and her trick handkerchiefs was just as colourful as ever. Even the trunk itself, which she used for her disappearing act, was in good condition.

The only thing missing was Trixie’s old caravan; purple wood paneling with a yellow trim, quaint windows on the side, and with stars, crescent moons and magic wands painted on to match her cutie mark. It was the wagon she used as a stage for her performances. The one she took on the road with her when she went touring. The one she slept in every night since she started performing, even though it was so jam-packed with props and tricks that it was impossible to toss and turn without making a racket. The caravan she used to call home.

She had been living at the school since she effectively retired from performing. The school provided room and board for all of its staff, but she couldn’t bring herself to sell the caravan. Too many memories, maybe? Maybe she felt like it was such an important part of her life that getting rid of it was like getting rid of a part of herself? Trixie didn’t know the reason and she didn’t think she needed one. It was a cool caravan, and it was hers.

Years ago, she found a secluded spot by a river on the outskirts of Ponyville. She decided that that would be the caravan’s new permanent parking spot. She would stop by every weekend to relax and unwind. It was quite the tranquil spot. Her home had now become her home away from home.

Trixie knew it wouldn’t be a true revival of her old act without the wagon so she and Starlight set out to bring it back to the school, taking turns pulling it all the way. It was currently Starlight’s turn and they were just about to arrive back in town…

Just as soon as they got the caravan up this hill…



“Don’t jostle anything around too much. You don’t want the smoke bombs going off,” Trixie huffed as she pushed from the rear.

“Smoke bombs!? Trixie they’re so old they probably passed their best before date ages ago,” Starlight strained.

“Not these babies. I only buy the best. Never go bad. Just keep pulling.”

“I am pulling but it’s-”

Starlight was cut off with a loud snapping sound. Her eyes went wide as she suddenly felt a whole lot lighter. She turned around as saw the cart free from its harness. It was rolling back down the hill, slowly at first, but quickly picking up steam.

“Starlight!! Don’t push it back to me! Are you trying to run me over?” Trixie called out.

“I’m not attached to the caravan anymore,” Starlight called back. “The harness broke!”

Trixie didn’t hear that last part because the caravan was now careening down the hill at a dangerous speed. “AAaaahhh!!!”

“Trixie!” Starlight called. She shook the harness off and gave chase.

Trixie managed to maintain a grip on the caravan with her front hooves. She held on for dear life to a small wooden ledge that jutted out from the back of the vehicle, her hind legs dragging underneath on the ground below.

The unicorn pulled herself up onto the narrow ledge, finding careful balance. Her heart was pounding. She tried to look for a place to jump off but she was hurtling past trees so quickly it made her dizzy. If she jumped at the wrong spot she could dive straight into a tree, or not get enough distance and risk being run over by a wagon wheel.

She turned to see where exactly they were headed and saw the journey was going to be quite short. The caravan was headed straight for a pile of rocks collected at the base of the hill. She was going to crash! She stood on her hind legs and pressed her back to the speeding caravan.

She closed her eyes and hollered: “Starlight!!!”

Suddenly, the wagon came to a dead stop right before it crashed into its destination, and Trixie became aware of a magical energy surrounding the caravan. However, the sudden stop caused Trixie’s momentum to propel her forward, and with a yelp she sailed over the rocks and into a nearby bush.

Trixie’s head popped out of the bush and she coughed up a few leaves. Her head was spinning but her vision was clear enough to see Starlight, who had caught up with the vehicle and stopped it by surrounding it with her magic. The caravan was now hovering slightly above ground and Starlight was catching her breath.

“Are you … okay … Trixie?” Starlight asked between breaths.

To be honest, Trixie was shaking and her heart still pounded with adrenaline, but she had a big smile on her face.

“Never better,” She said. “Best day of my life. Honestly.”

“Of course it is.”

“Thanks for having my back, Star.”

“I knew there was a good reason I came with you,” Starlight smirked as she set the caravan back to the ground. “How’s that for a bit of adventure, eh?”

She leaned up against the wagon and grinned with cocky satisfaction. Without missing a beat, there was a loud popping noise. The windows of the caravan burst open and grey smoke poured out. Starlight jumped back a foot in surprise.

The smoke bombs must have gone off. It was unclear if it was a delayed reaction to the excitement of rolling down the hill or if it was simply from the wagon being set down gently. It didn’t matter to Trixie because at least the bombs still worked.

“Told you I only get the good stuff! Hehehe … hehe…”

Trixie tried to laugh to diffuse the tension but Starlight just stared back, unamused.

“So…” Trixie began. “You wanna start back up the-”

“We’re taking the long way around,” Starlight cut her off. “Away from the steep, dangerous hill.”

“I figured you’d say that.”

“And it’s your turn to pull.”

“Yeah that’s fair.”

Author's Note:

Decided to split Chapter 4 into two separate chapters. Enjoy!!