• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 210 Views, 0 Comments

The Mask Hurts - storywriter97



The new assistant of Starlight has plans to ascend, but at what cost?

  • ...
 0
 210

The Mask Renewed

Ember Snow looked in the mirror as a stylist was curling her purple mane. Her brown coat was groomed to almost perfection. She smiled softly at her new hairstyle, while doing her best to hold back the tears upon seeing a fellow filly and his mother. Her mother was busy looking at herself in the mirror instead of looking at her.

'I hate her.' Ember thought as she examined her apathetic unicorn mother. The once beautiful smile of this filly disappeared into an expression of apathy.

The stylist finished her mane, and Ember got up from the chair. As she went to her mother, her mother quickly said." My favorite child, if only your siblings could be as beautiful as you. Sadly they were all mistakes." The tone of Ember's mother was mocking. It was like she didn't care about her brothers and sisters.

Several ponies gave her several looks at how she spoke about her children. There were whispers between ponies.

"Come now daughter, it is time to go home." Her mother gestured to her as she opened the door with her hoof.

Ember trotted out the door and followed her mother to their large house.

She sat on a large comfortable chair with cushions so soft that one could instantly fall asleep. Her mother and father were bragging about her to their guests.' I am just a trophy to them. They don't love me.' She thought as she waved her hoof and had a bright smile that even Celestia herself would envy.

"Daughter show our guests one of your tricks." Her Pegsai father said.

"Yes daddy, I will be honored to do so." Ember's horn activated and out of nowhere, a small cloud formed above the empty drinks. It rained down apple cider which refilled the cups of the guests.

The guests stared in awe, and cheered at the display of magic.

"Can I go now mother?" Ember said trying to not roll her eyes. She jumped from her seat and stared at her mother with such great posture benefiting a noble mare.

"You are excused daughter." Her mother said.

Ember trotted over to her room which was so massive that it can be its own house. The bed was so large that three ponies could sleep together. Rows of bookshelves filled with an innumerable amount of books that contained subjects of magic, history, and the basics. She trotted to her mirror and looked at her reflection. Tears began forming as she finally allowed her true self to appear." I hate friendship. My brothers, and sisters alienate me instead of helping me. For some reason they have friends and by Twilight's sake.``

Ember paused upon saying the word Twilight the ruler of Equestria. A burning rage likened into lava scarred her soul." The princess of friendship, what a joke. She allows those filthy lower lifeforms in that school." Ember placed her hooves on her mirror as her voice broke.

"Am I not special? My magic is chaotic, yet I was never chosen to be a student of the princess." Ember stuttered as she refused to move away from the mirror. Her horn glowed with an aura that was static, and waving. Immediately a book came to life and floated to her.

"Why do you cry? Read me and escape this pain." The book said with its voice being as sweet as candy. On the cover was the adventures of Daring Doo.

Ember would be creeped out about this a year ago but her facial expressions never changed." At least you are not a history book. For chaos sake let this work." Her horn glowed and the book fell on the ground.

Ember put her two hooves on her face and made expressions with them. Almost as if she was trying to make a mask.

"Another school day tomorrow for more friendship lessons from Principal Starlight and the professors bah. I bet they are talking behind my back. Oh Ember is too short, Ember is too ugly, Ember is too weak. They are all evil. I know that I am right." She turned her flank to the mirror and headed to the bed to sleep.

The next morning, Ember woke up as the alarm clock sounded throughout her room. She groaned as she slammed her hoof on the device to shut it up." Another day to plan my ascension."

Before she could move, servants entered in to pick her up so she could take a bath. She offered no resistance as her mane , and coat was washed thoroughly.

Afterwards, she was sat on a throne and a large portion of food was on her plate. Her eyes met with her brothers and sisters. Her beautiful mother was standing up observing her gathered children.

"Daughter I made your favorite. I hope you will enjoy your oatmeal, and sliced apples." Her mother said happily as she paid attention fully to her daughter.

One of her sisters spoke up." Mother where is our food."

Her mother snapped her head and glared at her with pure disgust.' You all will eat after your little sister eats. She has to keep up her strength."

Ember began to eat her hot tasty oatmeal and sliced apples and get ready for another day of school.

After getting to the school, she maintained a smile and was soon met with a friendly voice that urked her. It was a pony with a high pitch voice." Good morning Ember, have you slept well.

Ember felt talking to this pony was having needles stabbing into her coat, 'lies, lies, and more lies. She doesn't hope I have a good morning.' She almost glared before catching herself.

"I slept quite well darling friend." The elegant tone of her voice could be mistaken by a pompous rich Unicorn from Canterlot.

The two spoke before heading to the first class that was taught by Applebloom. On the chalkboard was the lesson was the value of loyalty.

Ember sighed as she took out her notebook and begin taking down notes.' Loyalty my flank, like anyone has been loyal to me.'

Author's Note:

This is my first fan fic, I hope you all will enjoy it.