• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 338 Views, 35 Comments

Night-Mares in Steel - Bronycommander



Lyra and Abstraction enjoy their new life with their friends to the fullest. Yet, they encounter some new vistors. From another universe. And from Outer Space

  • ...
0
 35
 338

Chapter 8 Past and cost part 5

Chapter 8 Past and cost part 5

Upon opening their eyes, the group looked in awe to find themselves in a big city. “This looks like…London,” Dinky said as she looked around, spotting Big Ben in the distance.

“Who would have thought?” Fletcher commented at the sight.

Their view got focused on a large building, the name “International Electromatic” On it, with the Doctor and Jamie entering it, being brought by a security guard, Parker as the nametag showed it.

They got brought into an office, a man was sitting at a desk, with a small tab on it. It said, “Tobias Vaughn, managing director.” He looked up with a smile. “Come and sit down, gentlemen.”

The Doctor forced a smile. “Thank you.”

“You can go, Packer,” Tobias said and the guard nodded before leaving. “I must apologize for Packer's crude devotion to duty. But your method of entry into my building was rather unconventional, wasn't it?” He asked his guests and got a hateful glare from Jamie.

“Aye, well, there was no need for all that gas and stuff.”

“Jamie. I think perhaps it is we who should be apologizing to you, Mister.” His friend quickly tried to defuse the situation, yet Tobias was not fazed as he introduced himself.

“Vaughn. Tobias Vaughn. I'm the managing director of International Electromatics. Your business must be very pressing to force you to such extremes.”

“Yes, it is.” The Doctor confirmed with his forced smile.

“Concerning Professor Watkins?” Vaughn concluded, much to Jamie’s surprise.

“How did you know?”

“My computer. It reported directly to me.” He answered and the doctor nodded, yet the ponies took notice that Tobias was blinking very infrequently.

“Oh, I see.”

“You've gone to a lot of trouble for nothing, you know. The Professor's working on an experiment and refuses to see anyone.” Tobias explained, with Jamie nodding.

“Ah, well, we only want to talk to him, you see.”

“Perhaps I can help.”

The Doctor reluctantly handed some circuits over to Vaughn. The manager was intrigued. “As you say, rather complex. However, I'm sure we'll be able to help you. I'll have them sent to my workshops immediately.”

“Oh, how very kind.” The doctor faked a kind smile, clearly unease about this, as the ponies could tell.

“Not at all. Professor Watkins is a valued colleague. Any friend of his is.” Vaughn then reached for something at his desk.

“Oh, have you got one of these, young man?” It was revealed to be a small radio.

“No. What is it?” Jamie asked curiously.

“Surely you've seen them about. They're disposable transistor radios. One of our latest products. Most popular. We've sold ten million in this country alone. Here. Compensation for the treatment you received from the worthy Packer.” The manager offered as an apology, which Jamie gladly took.

Tobias watched closely as both walked out, inspecting the circuit before flipping a switch. Part of the back wall off the office opened, revealing a very alien computer, at the center of which was an oval cybernetic head.

It caused the ponies to gasp, it looked identical to that supervision they had seen at the Wheel.

The device consisted of a framework of metal and transparent tubes with a number of lights, the head rotating as it analyzed two pictures of Jamie and the Doctor.

“The images of the two humans have been analyzed and registered. They are known and are hostile.” It spoke in a metal, echoing computer-like voice.

“Hostile? How can that be?” Tobias asked surprised, “Have you been on Earth before?”

“No, they have been recognized on Planet Fourteen. They are dangerous and must be destroyed.”

“Planet Fourteen? But how?”

“They must be destroyed.” Vaughn’s machine stated and he nodded.

“Yes, I'll deal with them.”

“Plans for invasion are nearing completion. Nothing must be allowed to interrupt them.”

“Don't worry. Nothing will.” He assured before the machine repeated,

“Nothing must be allowed to interrupt them.”

Yet it got the attention of the group.

“An invasion? So that’s how the Cybermen are connected to this.” Aversion commented, “But this is long before Mondas returned.” He added in slight confusion.

“I suspect there might be several sub-factions of Cybermen. And this machine must be some kind of…Planner I suspect.” Midnight added as they patiently continued to watch.

With a blink of an eye, they saw Jamie and the Doctor at a military base in an operation room with maps, getting greeted by a man with mustache in officer uniform and beret greeted both. He turned out to be an old friend, Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart, now promoted to Brigadier. He was now in charge of the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce or UNIT, an international investigatory force. Stewart told the Doctor that he and Jamie had been being monitored since they left the complex and that he decided to pick them up after they left the IE building, explaining that people sometimes entered the IE building, yet never left as he shows pictures of different people.

The officer also told him that IE was practically unheard of until they started controlling computer lines and investing in micromonolithic circuits, then Watkins disappeared and UNIT got involved. The evidence was not substantial enough for UNIT to search the IE building, so the Doctor and Jamie were on their own. However, the Doctor was given a transceiver if ever he needed to contact UNIT.

As the Doctor and his companion were about to go back to IE, Tobias revealed the Cyber-Planner again. “I need more data about this man that you say you recognize, this Doctor.”

The answer he got, was not the one he expected. “It is enough that you know he is hostile. He must be destroyed.”

“You said you recognized him on Planet Fourteen. How is this possible?” Vaughn demanded to know, yet the Planner thought differently.

“These questions are unnecessary. He must be destroyed.”

“That is for me to decide.” The man warned, slightly raising his voice, to no effect

“You will obey.”

“You forget I control the operation from Earth! Unless that's clearly understood, our partnership will cease!” Vaugh yelled before calmly adding, “Tell that to your leader.”

In response, the machine made beeping and whirling sounds, staying silent for a few seconds. “It has been agreed.”

This caused the human to grin. “I felt sure you would be reasonable. Now, you say you recognized this Doctor on Planet Fourteen. How did he get there?”

“He has a machine.”

“What sort of machine?”

“We have no more information. But he must be destroyed. The invasion must succeed.”

“It will. The Doctor will be taken care of. I shall see to that personally.” He assured the Cyber-Planner.

Jamie and The Doctor infiltrated the company, witnessing workers carrying crates far beyond human strength before eventually captured by security and brought to Tobias.

“So here you are again. You really are beginning to try our patience, you know.” He commented calmly, with Jamie giving Parker a glare.

“And he's beginning to try mine.”

“Jamie, Jamie,” The Doctor inferred to calm him down. “We came here looking for two friends of ours."

“Two young ladies?” The manager assumed. “Yes.”

“So he admits that they're here.” Suspicion was in Jamie’s face but Vaughan was not fazed.

“Correction. They were. It would seem that you've been chasing each other's tails. They came here looking for you.”

“Where are they now?” The Doctor asked Tobias.

“Why, they left, of course.”

The Doctor then showed interest in the crates the workers had been transported, with the manager seeing no problem to take the two to his factory into an office

At it, Tobias told the Doctor his research department found the circuits quite fascinating, curious to know more, but respected that he was determined to guard his secret.

“Now you say you came here looking for Professor Watkins because you thought he might be able to help you.”

“Yes.” The Doctor nodded.

“Then I'll try to persuade him to put aside his work and er, concentrate his efforts on your behalf. Make yourself at home.” He told them and walked out.

Despite this, both were suspicious, finding his behavior too nice and wondered why he would be offering them Watkins' assistance if he was evil.

Then they spotted something strange outside, with the Doctor using Jamie’s shoulder as a support for a small telescope he was carrying and saw what looked like Golf Ball like devices on some rooftops.

“Well, it looks like a deep space radio communication system. What's it's doing here?” He wondered.

Packer entered and escorted the two into Watkins' presence. It was a lab with all sorts of equipment, Watkins himself was a man with Henriquatre beard. Dressed in a short with a sleeveless jacket and tie, he was glad, yet surprised to see the 2 men.

He was an old-looking man, almost grizzled, the look in his eyes was one of hope. It made it clear that he had only the intention to help others, not wanting to help Vaughn at all, but was forced as they also showed worry.

After the Doctor had introduced himself, Watkins told him how her niece, Isobel, had told her about him, only to be interrupted by his friend, as he believed the room was bugged. He went to one side of the equipment rack and was pointing at a not very hidden eye device, a camera. Quickly thinking, the mysterious man put a small magnet on the camera.

Watkins then told both he was working on a machine called the Cerebration Mentor, a teaching machine that was able to induce emotional changes in the subject. The Doctor told Watkins about the involvement of UNIT, who in return said he had no knowledge of Vaughn's plans and thought he wants complete control of the electronics industry of the world.

Before they could react, Vaughn entered and told the Doctor that they would make him talk in other ways. He admitted he had Isobel and Zoe and, unless the Doctor handed over his machine, they would be hurt. The Doctor and Jamie were led away, towards and elevator.

The Doctor looked at it with unease, his eyes darting around. “Oh dear. You know, Jamie, I've always been rather scared of lifts.”

“Why?” His companion did not understand.

“I never even like to start them. You'll have to push the button.”

“Me?”

“Keep your mouth shut and do as you're told,” Parker warned him and the Doctor nodded.

“Yes, Jamie. Do as you're told.”

He gave a slight grin, as if he realized something. ”Oh yes, I see.”

“Be quiet!” Parker yelled and Jamie stepped into the lift, but the Doctor stopped, turning around, a neutral expression.

“Packer! Mister Packer, I obviously can't let you hurt Zoe, and so I'll have to tell you all want to know, now.”

“You mean, you're willing to talk?”

“Yes, I'm sure that Mister Vaughn will.” Then the Doctor’s expression was one of surprise. “Oh, there he is now.” Packer turned around, the Doctor pushed him away, making him fall.

Jamie then pushed the button, causing the door to close. His friend then pulled some wires of the circuits to make the elevator useless, before they used the emergency hatch to get to the roof.

From there, both climbed down a fire escape to the train carriages, hiding underneath as an alert sounded and guards searched the area, also noticing a chopper overhead. They looked on as crates were unloaded. Zoe and Isobel were unceremoniously hauled onto their feet and then escorted into the building by several guards. The Doctor overheard that they are being taken to the tenth floor of the central block.

So, he and Jamie went back up the fire escape, with the former using his transceiver to contact the Brigadier, asking if the helicopter had a rope ladder and gave him their exact location.

As soon as the chopper dropped the ladder, Zoe opened the window, climbing through with her friend and onboard the chopper. The guards opened fire, in vain, as the chopper managed to get away.

Reunited with his friend, The Brigadier told him about UFO sightings, showing him photographs. They were blurry though, so the ponies couldn’t make out any details, it looked similar to flying cars.

“Reports have been drifting in for well over a year now. We sent up fighter planes to investigate, but nothing ever came of it.” The officer explained and a fellow soldier added that they all disappeared over South East England, over the IE campus. The Doctor started to link this to the crates that they discovered, asking for a map and canoe.

Then the scene showed him and Jamie entering the IE building through the canal, undetected.

They sneaked into the warehouse by using the sewer that was connected to it, to see two men in protective suits and a white-coated scientist with one of the crates leaning against a wall, open.

A whirling device was switched on. It started throbbing. A man attached two cables to the wrapped object and the scientist turned dials. It was followed by a second sound starting up and the thing inside the fabric moved.

It got ripped apart to reveal a Cyberman, the one with ear muffs and flat mouth.

The eyes of both men went wide in shock and surprise.

Upon seeing this, the Doctor and Jamie decided to return to the canoe and escaped unseen, surprised to see those Cyborgs again.

In the meantime, Tobias had news for the Cyber-Planner. “There has been some difficulty. We must alter our plans.”

“Report the difficulty and we will assess it.” The Planner replied.

“We must bring the invasion forward.”

“Our invasion force is not yet complete.” Stated the Planner, yet Vaughn was not fazed

“The invasion must take place in fifteen hours time, otherwise we may have to face the combined forces of the entire world.”

“Wait while the report will be assessed.” The planner started to beep and whir as his human ally warned,

“You will accept what I say or our partnership is at an end. The invasion will take place at dawn tomorrow.”

“It has been agreed. The data will be computed and the invasion details transmitted to you. Discussion terminated.”

In the warehouse, more Cybermen got reactivated, with Packer opening a secret door in a nearby brick wall.

“Follow me.” He said to the Cybermen and they did as told, with him going up a wooden staircase. “Have you received your instructions?”

“Yes.” One of the cyborgs acknowledged in a monotone mechanical voice.

“You will proceed through the sewer tunnels to your allotted sectors. There you will obey the commands of your sector leader.”

“We understand.”

“Proceed.” He then watched them going down a manhole in the secret room, leading to the sewers.

After that, another Cyberman got reactivated, Tobias ordered to test the Cerebration Machine on it. The device itself looked like a small box with wires and dials, with the scientist putting a stethoscope like attachment onto the Cyberman's head, picked up his box and backed away.

“What emotion shall I induce?” He asked his boss, slightly trembling, being nervous.

“Fear. Let's see how the Cybermen will react to fear.” Tobias was eager and the scientist did as told.

What happened next took the watchers by surprise.

The Cyberman started to sway and made groaning electronic noises, as if he was in pain, much to Vaughn’s amusement.

“More power!”

“That's all there is.” The scientist stated before the cyborg ripped the attachment from its head and staggered around, flailing its arms. Guards shot at it to no effect as the Cyberman staggered into the secret room.

“I warned you, the machine isn't ready yet. It's following the others into the sewers.”

“Let it go,” Tobias ordered, being fully calm by this.

“It's gone mad. It could have killed us all.” His security chief pointed out, but he didn’t care in the slightest.

“Possibly, but I think we've proved that the Professor's machine can be effective. Get him to work on it, Gregory. I want twice as much power and I want directional control.” He ordered the scientist, who nodded and Parker spoke up,

“Yeah, but what about that one? You can't let it roam down there alone!” His voice was slightly disturbed with a matching expression.

“Why not?”

“Well, it'll kill anything that gets in its way,” Parker said with worry, only for his boss to smile.

“Good. Anyone fool enough to be down in those sewers deserves to die.” He then went into his office to check on the plan of the invasion.

“One hour before invasion, the Cyber-transmitter units will be launched into orbit around Earth.” The planner explained.

“The effect will be immediate?”

“Yes. Transmissions will penetrate all areas.”

“And if it doesn't work?”

“Humans cannot resist Cyber-control. Our forces will penetrate all areas and select suitable humans for cybernetic conversion.”

“Conversion to Cybermen?” Tobias asked surprised, not having suspected this.

“Yes. The unsuitable humans will be destroyed.”

“No!” He raised his voice, “This is not as we agreed!”

“It has been decided.”

“We agreed that I should remain in control of Earth. In return, I supply the minerals you require. You will honor that bargain, otherwise there will be no invasion!” Vaughn protested, yet the planner did not yield.

“To control, you must undergo complete conversion and become one of us.”

“No! My body may be cybernetic but my mind stays human. That is final!” The man demanded, causing the machine to beep and whir again, with Parker looking worried at it, as both waited for an answer.

“It has been agreed. Discussion concluded.”

Upon blinking, they saw how Isobel suggested infrared photography as means of collecting proof against IE, going down the sewers with Zoe and Jamie.

However, they got spotted by a policeman as they climbed down a manhole. “Hey you! What do you think you're doing going down there for, you young idiots!” The policeman called after them, “Hey, you kids! Come on out of there, or I'll come down after you. I know you're down there. Are you going to come up or do I have to come down to fetch you.” He added, to no avail.

Seeing no other option, he climbed down, shining his torch around. “Right, you kids, where are you? Come on now, stop playing about. Are you down there, then? Come on, come on. I know that you're down here somewhere.” He walked among the endless tunnel. “Come on, come on. You'll get lost if you go wandering about down there. Come on. What the heck?”

His eyes went wide in surprise to see two Cybermen in front of him. Their chests glowed and he fell screaming to the ground.

“They've killed him!” Zoe exclaimed in horror before they realized that they were surrounded from both sides by Cybermen, one of them getting closer, screaming.

Breathing heavily in fear, all three pressed themselves against the wall, with Jamie shielding the women. To their surprise, the Cyberman went straight past them, wailing.

“He ignored us.” Zoe couldn’t believe her eyes

“It's out of control. It's sort of wild.” Jamie suspected.

At the same time, a group of UNIT solders went also down to look for the three, only to run into the two other Cybermen holding each other at gunpoint.

“Do not move!” One of the cyborgs ordered, “Do not resist. You will obey instructions.”

“What do you want us to do?” The leader of the soldiers, Captain Jimmy Turner demanded to know.

“You will come with us. Obey.”

Then, the demented Cyberman came up behind the two Cybermen. They turned around and tried to pacify him. The soldiers used this distraction to throw grenades. With a loud boom, the explosion threw the cyborgs over, but one managed to get up, stumbling slightly.

“And again, Sergeant.”

“Grenade, quick! Come on, Perkins, Come on.” Walters, so stood on the nametag, ordered a private, shook his head in fear.

“It's too late, Sergeant. I'm getting out!”

“Perkins! Come back, man!” Turner yelled before the Cyberman’s chest glowed, killing the private.

“Sobel, Jamie, Zoe! Are you down there?” The squad leader yelled upon seeing the loss and they all yelled yes in unison. “Get to the ladder as quickly as you can.”

Nobody wasted time, getting up the ladder the soldiers had taken, with Jamie being the last one. “Quickly! All right, I'm with you.” Turner offered him a hand but something dragged the young man down”

“My leg!” Jamie exclaimed as the Cyberman had grabbed it.

“All right. Hold on, Jamie!” Turner tried to help him up, struggling with the Cyberman. “Sergeant!”

Walters was helping to carry their dead comrade, but upon seeing what was happening, did not wasted time, grabbing a rifle from their jeep and hit the Cyberman’s with the butt repeatedly. Eventually it let go of Jamie and went back down the ladder.

“That's it. Got it, got it.”

“Benton, grenade!”

“Coming, sir!” Benton acknowledged Turner’s command and threw a grenade down the manhole. It exploded and smoke came up, showing the last Cyborg had been destroyed.

Back in Vaughn’s office, Watkins was aware of what his machine had been turned into, looking at the manager in disgust.

“This is madness. That machine is a deadly weapon now.”

“Really?” Tobias asked unfazed as he inspected it.

“The modifications were quite unnecessary. It worked perfectly well as it was.” The professor protested.

“For your purposes, perhaps, Professor. I have a somewhat different use for it.” Vaughan countered with a grin.

“All right, all right. Do with it what you will. The machine's yours now. Now, will you let me get out of this place? And let Isobel go free as you promise?” Watkins asked worried.

“But my dear fellow, she is free.”

This surprised the Professor. “Free? Where? Where is she?”

“Probably sitting quite comfortably at home. Now then, how does one operate this?” Tobias asked the scientiest, who warned

“Careful, Mister Vaughn. Don't point it at anyone.”

“No? Dangerous is it? Fear, Watkins. Do you know what fear is?” Vaughn calmly pointed the machine at the professor, who backed up in fear

“No, don't! Don't do that! Don't!” He yelled before the device got turned on, causing him to tense up in pain and fear.

In response, the scientist tried to grab the device. “Mister Vaughn, you'll kill him! Stop!” Parker then grabbed him and Tobias yelled,

“Perhaps we should try the effects of the machine on you, Gregory! At full power!”

Gregory got thrown to the ground, his expression one of fear and shock, stuttering. “No, no, Mister Vaughn. I was only afraid that if we still needed the Professor.”

Vaughn then ordered the machine into mass production. A weakened Watkins vowed that if he ever would get the chance he will would Vaughn.

This, surprisingly, seemed not to impress him as he calmly asked for Packer's gun.

Packer gave him his sidearm without hesitation. Vaughn pointed it at Watkin's head, who closed his eyes. Then he turned it around and offered it to the man.

“Take it.” Tobias said before laughing. “There you are. Take it.” With a grin, the manager put the gun in Watkins' hand. Gregory and Packer backed away.

“Now you're free to shoot me, Professor. Shoot.” Tobias motivated calmly, yet Watkins hesitated. “Shoot!” He knocked Watkins down. “Come on, the gun's loaded, or haven't you got the courage to pull the trigger?”

With an enraged expression, Watkins fired three times into Vaughan’s chest. He then started in shock and fainted.

Vaughn had three smoking holes in his shirt, but was standing there laughing. The professor then got taken away to start production of his machine, with the Cyber-Planner informing him there was one hour until the invasion and transmission of the cyber-signal would be started.

However, as the professor was to be transferred, a squad of UNIT soldiers ambushed the guards outside and brought him to his home.

At home of Watkins, the Doctor assumed the Cybermen would produce cyber-hypnotic signals and render humans under their control. He reminded Zoe of the depolarisers they used back on the Wheel when they first met. Zoe set about making some.

It was shortly done. Suddenly, the watchers had to cover their ears as an electronic high pitched noise sounded, yet saw how the Doctor grabbed the back of his neck.

“Zoe, my depolariser. It must have fallen off!” He exclaimed before staggering and collapsing.

As Zoe checked on him, Turner stormed in and she asked, “What is it? What's happened?

“It's the Cybermen. We've just seen hundreds coming out of the sewers.” He said and the ponies saw in shock and awe how the cyborgs climbed out of manholes, walking the streets of London as people all over the city were brought to their knees by the sound ringing in their ears.

The scene switched back, with Tobias writing on a clipboard in a chair as the planner reported in.

“All areas are now covered by our transmission. The full invasion force is preparing for flight. Transmit the radio beam for the transporter ships to home on.”

“It will be prepared.” He replied calmly.

“Control and supervision of Cybermen in all key positions will be arranged. Prepare your communication network.”

“Wait.” Vaughn finished writing and looked up. “My organization will now take over. The Cyberman army must stay under my control.” He added and the information got processed by the Planner

“Why do you oppose us?” It asked and the man explained,

“I don't oppose you. We're allies. But you do not understand the world and it's organization. I do.”

“This is not necessary. Humans are now under Cyber-control.”

“I must control them!” Vaughan shouted, standing up. “Look, let's understand one another. You will not get what you want unless I too achieve my object. Is this agreed?” In response, the planner whirred and beeped again

“It has been agreed.”

“Good! Then the invasion will continue under my direction. Discussion terminated.”

Then it switched back to the Doctor, who had come to. Upon told that UNIT HQs were unresponsive in New York, Moscow and Peking, he concluded that the signal must be sent from a ship in orbit and in order to break it, the Cybership had to be destroyed, with the only way being a huge missile.

His friend the Brigadier stated that only Russia and America had such weaponry, having an idea. With awe, the ponies saw how he pulled out a document from a safe. It informed UNIT that the Russians were going to send a rocket into space on the day of the invasion. If they were to switch the astronaut's capsule with a warhead, they could turn the rocket into a missile. He also asked if anti-missile missiles could be used to take down the small invasion ships. The Doctor suggested that would work.

With that as answer, a soldier named Jimmy was dispatched to deal with the rocket, while the Doctor going to seek an audience with Vaughn by using the sewers.

He was spotted by a camera and looked at it. “I hope I haven't called at an inconvenient moment, but I would rather like a word with you.”

“Clever of you to avoid our Cyber-control beam.” Tobias commented slightly impressed

“Oh, it was nothing. I'll come up. I know the way.” He replied and made his way to Tobias’ office. “And you trust them?” The doctor asked in complete disbelief.

“Doctor, I've worked with the Cybermen for five years preparing this invasion. I know them, the way they think, the single-mindedness of their purpose.” His Interlocutor explained calmly, causing the doctor to conclude,

“Then you must know what ruthless and inhuman killers they are.”

“Of course. But then, they are my allies, not my enemies.”

“Do you really think they'll honor any bargain that you make with them?”

“Oh, I've planned this whole operation in great detail, allowing for every possible factor.” The manager walked back and forth. “It was I who contacted them in deep space, provided the means by which they traveled to Earth, and masterminded the whole operation from A to Z. They have merely provided their advanced scientific skills, their might and strength.” Tobias slightly raised his voice, sounding proud of it.

In response, the Doctor tried to make clear the Cybermen would destroy Earth and humanity, that they couldn’t be trusted, pleading with Vaughn to stop the invasion.

But things took a surprising turn. At the military base, the transporters started to show up on the radar and were mere minutes away. With awe, the group watched how the missile clusters hurtle up into the air, shedding their booster rockets.

In space, several ships, looking similar to the one at the Wheel, closed in on earth. Just seconds later, the missile struck one of the transports, creating a huge explosion, as all were destroyed in a chain-reaction.

“The first transporter fleet is being attacked and destroyed. You have betrayed us.” The planner said to Tobias as it received the data.

“No!” Vaughn exclaimed in anger and disbelief.

“The failure of this mission is due to you. We will now take over the invasion.”

“No! Wait! Give me time! I can stop this opposition!” The man yelled, almost pleading, but it didn’t matter.

“There is no more time.”

“I won't allow this invasion to”- Tobias was cut off as he attempted to get close but with a flash, an energy wall pushed him back with a scream of pain. He caught himself, holding his head, breathing heavily.

“We no longer need you. A Cyber-megatron bomb will be delivered. We must destroy life on Earth completely. Every living being.” The planner announced, causing the Doctor to look with a shocked expression at the stunned manager

“Is this what you wanted? To be the ruler of a dead world?”

Upon recovering, Vaughn argued with the Planner, stating that the Cybermen would destroy themselves, but the planner saw it as a small sacrifice.

“I won't let them take over. I won't! You think you're indestructible? Well, I can destroy all of you!” In a fit of rage and panic, Vaughn aimed the professor’s device at the Planner and turned it on.

“Opposition is useless. The Cybermen will-“ The planner said over the high-pitched noise, with the Doctor covering his ears.

“Vaughn! Switch it off, you'll blow us all sky high!” He yelled in vain.

“I'll destroy them all! All!”

With a loud explosion the Cyber-Planner got destroyed, throwing both men back, coughing from the smoke.

“It's dead. I killed it. I destroyed it.” Tobias mumbled in relief and disbelief.

“That won't stop them. They're still out there in space preparing to destroy the world.” The Doctor warned, yet the manager was still in shock over the whole situation.

“Five years, and in less than five seconds!”

“Vaughn, listen to me. The Cybermen will deliver their bomb on the same radio beam they used for their invasion. You've got to turn it off, man. You've got to turn it off!” With a pleasing look, the doctor looked at Tobias, who looked at him in confusion.

“What?”

“We're both on the same side now, both fighting for our lives. You've got to turn the radio beam off!”

“The radio?” The manager did not understand.

“Yes! That's how they'll deliver their bomb!” This explanation caused Vaughn to snap out, a determined expression.

“The radio beam!” He exclaimed and called for Packer, who stored in, a panicked expression on his face.

“Vaughn! They've taken over! The Cybermen, they won't obey! They've killed them. They're coming after us.” He grabbed his boss by the shirt. “Vaughn, what have you done to us? What have you done?”

In that moment, a Cyberman entered, causing Packer to draw his pistol, shooting at it, with no effect, as his boss and he Doctor went behind the desk for cover.

As counter, the cyborg activated his chest ray, killing Parker, falling to the ground with a scream of pain.

The Doctor popped up from behind Vaughn's desk and turned the Cerebration Machine on the Cyberman, He started to smoke and fell dead to the ground with a mechanical scream.

Tobias was reluctant and despondent as he got asked for help. “Appealing to my better nature? No. If I help you it'll be because I hate them. The Cybermen, my allies. You think I'm mad, that all I want is power for its own sake. No, I have to have power. The world is weak, vulnerable, a mess of uncoordinated and impossible ideals. It needs a strong man, a single mind. A leader!” He exclaimed, only for the Doctor to ask,

“Vaughn, will you listen?”

“Right. I'll help you to destroy them because I hate them. They destroyed my dream.”

He told the Doctor and UNIT know that the transmitter was at the IE Compound, taking the professor’s machine with him for back up.

Both were making their way to the building. They spotted a Cyberman patrolling and Vaughn readied Watkin's device, but the Doctor pulled him back.

“What are you doing? We must destroy them!” Tobias protested

“We want to get to the radio transmitter control room. The Cybermen don't know we're here yet. Let's keep that element of surprise.” The Doctor pointed out, looking at an alleyway. “Come on, we'll try down here.”

Yet they didn’t come far, as another Cyberman crossed their way, taking aim. Tobias was faster, activating the device, causing the Cyberman to fall to the ground with a dying mechanical scream.

“Now they know we're here.” The Doctor realized and his ally nodded

“Right. Up there. We'll go over the roofs.” They climbed a fire escape and looked down on an area where several Cybermen were standing. “That's it. That's where we've got to get to. Down there.”

With an alerted expression, the Doctor exclaimed, “Look out!” as yet another Cyberman crossed their way. As before, Vaughn activated the Cerebration Machine. Disoriented by the strong emotions, the Cyberman groaned and tumbled backward over the edge of the roof, allowing the two humans to proceed.

At the same time, the ponies saw how the Brigadier arrived with his men in two jeeps and a truck.

“Cybermen! Take cover!” He ordered and his troops engaged the enemy, yet the bullets had no effect. “Grenades!”

His men did as told, throwing some. The explosions took out some Cybermen but the others managed to fire their rifles. Letting out a stream of flames, like a flamethrower, the projectiles exploded, killing some of the brave soldiers. Yet the commanding officer stayed calm.

“Bazooka!” Two soldiers stepped forward and readied it, firing at the remaining cyborgs. The rocket hit right between the group, taking them out as they stumbled with mechanical groans and fell over.

The Doctor and Vaughn came to a building with a small door., with the latter pointing at it, with the former looking carefully around

“That's where the main control switch is for the radio beam.”

“There don't seem to be any Cybermen about at all. That's odd.” The Doctor remarked as he couldn’t spot any.

“Well let's not waste time, then.” Vaughn went up to the small door, with the Doctor looking at a door of a nearby building, his eyes went wide in fear as three Cybermen came out.

“Look behind you!”

Quickly reacting, the manager aimed the device at them, Two Cybermen groaned and fell, but the third one managed to fire. With a painful scream, Tobias fell over.

Seeing that the Cyberman turned his attention to him, the doctor started to run. He screamed and jumped as he dodged three explosions by inches.

“Doctor, get down!” Lethbridge-Stewart yelled as he and his men caught up, his friend did as told, hands behind his head. “Right, Bazooka!”

Wasting no time, two soldiers fired it at the cyborg. He let out a mechanical scream and stumbled a bit before falling over.

With the threat eliminated, the soldiers went inside the building to shut the transmitter down.

At the base, the operators spotted a large UFO approaching Earth, visible, but out of range of their defenses. The Brigadier was stumped as to why the cyber ship would be getting closer. He wondered if it is to avoid the Russian rocket, but the Doctor suspected it was to deliver the bomb in a different way.

Stewart asked if the missile could be turned to hit the ship, yet impact was in twelve and a half minutes, enough for the ship to deliver the bomb and get to safety.

Tensed, everyone waited, not saying a word, with the clock moving from two twenty to two twenty-six. Then, a dot appeared on the radar.

“Ah! Must be the Cybermen's bomb.” One of the soldiers assumed.

“Red alert procedure! Raise all missiles!” Another ordered and reported to the Brigadier that if the Cyber-ship won’t shift soon, it would be hit by the Russian missile, the bomb was thirty seconds from landing.

The ponies looked at the radar screen tensed as the missiles were fired, listening to the operators.

“She's going wide!” The first one exclaimed in slight fear and the other pressed buttons for more missiles.

“Prepare two!”

“Two away, and it looks good.”

“Splendid! Stand by three, just in case.”

“Standing by.”

The dot came close and closer.

Was this the end?

Would they fail?

The ponies held their breath, waiting for the inviable to happen

The dot appeared once more and then…it was gone.

“Ten seconds and it's on the button! It's on the button! We've done it!” One of the operators cheered, “Sir, the Russian missile, it's almost on top of the spaceship! I think they've got her!”

Then the ponies saw the Cyber-ship. It looked identical to that at the Wheel. Could it mean those were related to the attackers of the Wheel?

Still, they all tensed themselves as the missile came closer. Would it really hit?”

Or was the radar a malfunction or misinformation?

Their hearts raised as the missile entered their sight, praying it would actually hit the ship.

A breath of relief escaped the ponies as they saw a flash closing in on the ship.

So fast they could barely keep track of it, yet somehow elegant.

The next second, it bursted into flames, engulfing the back part of the ship.

It didn’t look like it was enough to destroy it, only slightly damage it.

A second, much bigger ball of fire followed.

Then another.

And another.

The Cyber-ship tried to steer away several small bursts of flames followed.

It looked like it might escape with severe damage.

The pones had to cover their eyes as another loud, violent burst occurred, seeing a few smaller ones occurring through the ship.

With a loud bang, it broke in half.

Then the scene switched to six Cybermen near a manhole. They climbed down and closed it. It took only seconds to realize it were Tyson’s men, seeing how they walked across the sewers. After a short time, they climbed up and came up at what looked like an abandoned scrapyard. It was the last scene before the white void came back.

“Interesting. The Cybermen attempted to invade earth long before Mondas returned.” Dawnwind commented fascinated.

“But that means there must be another Cybermen faction, or maybe even several of them.” Wagensroll suspected.

“I don’t get it,” Art Strings spoke up, “What saw Vaughn in all this?”

“Power he couldn’t get otherwise,” Fletcher explained to her, “I have seen it before.”

“Yes, sadly.” Luna nodded, lighting up her horn to show the next one with a surprised expression. “This memory is somewhere in the 25th century.”