• Published 15th Feb 2020
  • 1,234 Views, 16 Comments

Behind the Flight Goggles - Crystalline Waters



Rainbow tries her hoof at writing a story...about her fellow Wonderbolts.

  • ...
0
 16
 1,234

The Letters (Rainbow's Chapter, Part 1)

"So how are we supposed to get a chapter on Rainbow if she's the one writing it?" Spitfire asked

"We can write it, then slip it into her drafts. She keeps them under her bed." Soarin told them.

"How do you know?" Fleetfoot asked

"She mentioned it to me." Soarin explained

"But she'll see it." Spitfire argued

"And she'll thee uth writing it." Fleetfoot added.

"We can write it when she's asleep." Soarin replied "But we should be focusing on what we're going to write for her chapter."

"Hey guys." Rainbow said, walking into the rec room. "What're you talking about?"

"Nothing important." Spitfire replied, stretching out beside Fleetfoot. "So, got any plans today?"

"I-um, n-no." Rainbow said, backing away.

"Something wrong Dashie?" Soarin asked

"Nothing's wrong." Rainbow said, before leaving.

"She's not telling us something." Spitfire remarked

"Should we athk her?" Fleetfoot laid beside Spitfire and pressed her head under her marefriend's chin. "I'd hate for thith to be another mithunderthtanding like our anniverthary."

"I don't think it is..." Soarin said, gazing at the door Rainbow had left through.

"Anyway, come on. We need to get some of Rainbow's blank draft papers, that way she won't notice the difference." Spitfire said.

"Come on lover boy, maybe you can thneak a thniff of her pillow." Fleetfoot teased

"Wh-what?! I'm no stalker!"

"Suit yourself. But just so you know, she uses apple flavored shampoo." Spitfire said

"She...wow..." Soarin followed them out in a daze.

"Think we can sneak Soar's little crush on Rainbow into her chapter?" Spitfire whispered

"I don't know about little. He doethn't try to hide it very much." Fleetfoot giggled

The three friends entered the sleeping quarters and Soarin went straight for Rainbow's bed. He leaned down and reached under it, shifting things around and taking some out. He slid a few books out into the open before putting his whole head under.

"Whoah, a Firtht Edition of Daring Do and the Ring of Dethtiny." Fleetfoot breathed. "With an original cover-wait, Thpit, ith that who I think it ith...?"

Spitfire looked over her shoulder, and her eyes widened.

"Yep. That looks like..."

"Rainbow." Fleetfoot finished, opening the book and squeaking. Soarin stood and promptly banged his head on the bed.

"Ouch!" Soarin withdrew his head and glanced over, rubbing the back of his head. "Why'd you yelp Fleet?"

"It'th thigned!" Fleetfoot cried, pointing with a wingtip.

To Rainbow Dash, thanks for helping me. I owe you one.

Your friend,
A.K Yearling

"Oh my gosh." Fleetfoot breathed, tracing the inky swirls of the name. "A thigned Firtht Edition, do you guys know how rare that ith? And it'th a perthonal meththage inthtead of jutht her name!"

"Thanks for helping me?" Soarin asked, reading over that part, then looking up. "Does Rainbow know her?"

"If she doeth and didn't tell me I'm going to kill her." Fleetfoot growled playfully, and Spitfire chuckled.

"Easy there superfan, we don't know for sure."

"Wait..." Soarin reached under the bed and drew out another letter. "Look at this."

Hey A.K,

I'm almost done with the first three chapters of the book. You said that's how many I needed, so I'll send them off to you soon. Thanks for offering to proofread them before taking them to your editor. I really want to finish this book, and my Wonderbolt friends have already done so many book-worthy things in the past week I know I won't run out of material. Only...

Remember in Daring Do and the Blood Curse when you Daring retrieved the priceless bloodstone jewel from the volcano? And how it ended up being cursed to prevent ponies from taking it from its pedestal? So you, dang it I did it again Daring ended up trying to hurt herself? I know it seems random that I brought up that particular adventure, but...I'm just gonna spit it out. How you Daring felt in that book...is how I feel sometimes. I know that's bad, but I swear I haven't tried hurting myself yet. I've just dealt with so much in the last few years...it feels like it's all catching up to me. I've tried talking to my Ponyville friends, but they don't seem to understand. Rarity actually called me a drama queen. She's one to talk. You've been through a lot, do you have any way of coping you could share with me? I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate.

Anyway, to end this on a more cheerful note, I've enclosed those chapters in a second envelope. Also...I'm not comfortable sharing this with any of my main friends, but I think it's okay to tell you, I think. The thing is, I...have a crush on Soarin, one of my teammates. You've never shown any interest in that sort of thing but still. Please don't laugh when you read that part.

Your loyal friend,
Rainbow Dash

The group read it and then looked at each other.

"She doeth know A.K Yearling, on firtht-name termth, too!" Fleetfoot exclaimed.

"I think we should focus more on her saying she feels this way." Soarin objected

"Well, when she sends this letter, A.K Yearling will most likely handle it, if they're such good friends. We can't let Rainbow know we read it. It seems like A.K Yearling is helping Rainbow with the book, which is new." Spitfire remarked, then scanned the letter again, muttering to herself. "I wonder why parts are scratched out though..."

"Rainbow theemth comfortable enough with Mithth Yearling to dithcuthth having a crush with her." Fleetfoot added, eyeing Soarin, who blushed.

"All teasing aside, we'd better put this back before Rainbow catches us." Spitfire said

A few days later, Spitfire noticed an envelope going out in the mail, from Rainbow to an address unfamiliar to her. She grabbed it from the pile she was sorting, separating the ones coming in and going out before Surprise took up her unofficial task as mail distributor. Spitfire swiveled in her chair and held the letter up to the light streaming in from the window. Hey A.K, could be just barely read, the letter having been folded to fit in the envelope.

"Hmm." Spitfire hummed thoughtfully as she turned back. "This address is for a post office, not a real house. Probably just Miss Yearling not wanting to reveal the location of her home too openly."

Spitfire recounted this later to Soarin and Fleetfoot. They were in her office, snacking on cookies baked by Thunderlane, Soarin with a sheet of Rainbow's draft paper before him, taking notes for Rainbow's chapter.

"We should wait for A.K Yearling to reply to Rainbow." Fleetfoot suggested

"Maybe." Spitfire was pacing around behind her desk. "But something just seems weird about it."

"Their next letters will probably give us a better idea about what's going on." Soarin reminded her.

"I guess." Spitfire sighed. "But I'm worried about her."

"So am I, but you said yourself we can't let Rainbow know we read her letter. The best thing we can do now is wait."

"I hate waiting." Spitfire spat, reaching for a cookie.

Fleetfoot hummed softly in sympathy, reaching and pulling the paper towards herself. She munched on a lemon cookie as she wrote something down.

Spitfire has never been very patient, by nature. She wasn't patient during our conflict with the Shadowbolts and she isn't now. Just like how Rainbow has a habit of not telling us everything.

I'm going to ask Rainbow about making a short chapter about our minor battle with the Shadowbolts, since I feel like our victory over them, while greeted mostly with good feelings, also came at a cost. Spit was revealed to many ponies for being the child of...well, you'll know if you've heard about that incident. But even then, you, reader, probably don't know the whole story of what went on during the race and why Lightning Dust and Wind Rider even tried to replace us. You'll find out in that chapter-if Rainbow makes one.

For now, let's focus on her. Rainbow Dash was definitely hiding something during her contact with the author, and of what she had written in that letter. Still, while Soarin and I were content to sit and wait for a clearer picture of what was going on, Spitfire wasn't as pleased. For the record, Soar and I were worried too. Rainbow Dash has been a close friend since she joined the team. We can't bear the thought of her possibly hurting.

"Nice Fleet." Soarin commented as he leaned over to see what she'd written.

Fleetfoot smiled at him and began sketching something off to the side. It was a light sketch of Rainbow making a Sonic Rainboom, with Soarin, herself, and Spitfire flying beside Rainbow, each with their own sonic rings surrounding them.

"Yeah, really nice drawing, but we're not quite done." Spitfire said

"Of courthe not, we have to get the whole thtory firtht." Fleetfoot replied

----------------------------------------

A few days later, a letter arrived for Rainbow Dash. Spitfire wanted to take it right then and there, but Soarin stopped her.

"It's an invasion of privacy Spit!"

"So? It's worth it!" Spitfire said, holding the letter out of reach as Soarin made to take it out of her hoof.

"What if Rainbow finds out?! We'd-"

"Um...guyth?" They both turned to see Fleetfoot holding the envelope, it was tucked between two feathers of her open wing.

"How did you...?" Spitfire began

"Forget it, I'll tell you later." Fleetfoot then promptly tore the top off the letter with her teeth.

"Now we're talking!" Spitfire headed over, smiling. "Have I told you today how much I love you?"

Fleetfoot blushed but laughed softly, then she and Spitfire unfolded the letter. Soarin gave an exasperated sigh and joined them. The three friends read the letter silently.

Rainbow,

I got those chapters you sent and frankly, I'm impressed. I had a feeling you'd be a good writer. Kinda runs in the family, huh? I sent the chapters along to my editor after making some margin notes on ways to improve, but I think you did really well. I'm looking forward to the next ones you send.

As for what you said about feeling the way Daring Do did in Blood Curse, well...it's not normal nor is it healthy. You mentioned your Ponyville friends didn't want to listen, but what about you Wonderbolt ones? I would advise if one group of friends is unconcerned-possibly due to a workload or something, you are friends with a princess-another group may pay more attention. As for coping with years of stress, I suggest hot chocolate and a nice book-Celestia knows it's my go-to remedy for just about anything, but it can't hurt. If you don't have that kind of time, exercise is always a nice way of dealing with stress. But then again, you probably get enough of that on your own combined with Wonderbolt Drills.

As for that little tidbit of information in your last letter, I only have one thing to say: my big sis friend's all grown up! To help ease the sting that no doubt put on your ego, I didn't laugh at that part. I mean...I did squeal a bit, to be honest, but still. And last but not least...I have a surprise for you. I'm coming to Ponyville for a book-signing this week. It's why I was able to respond so quickly. If you want a chance to talk, whether about the book or just in general, my hotel door is always open.

Your friend,
A.K

P.S: I scratched out certain parts because I think someone's been reading your letters, there were smudges on the ink of your last one that don't come from regular hoofwriting.

P.P.S: I know I said hotel door but if by any chance you have an extra room...? Your sis wants to sleep in a real bed for once.

"She knows we've been reading them." Spitfire murmured

"What's going on?"

Author's Note:

You must hate me right now. I haven't updated this story in a while and when I finally do, it's a cliffhanger. I'm sorry, but the next chapter will come soon. It was going to be too long so I split it up.

~Melody Song