• Published 15th Feb 2020
  • 1,225 Views, 16 Comments

Behind the Flight Goggles - Crystalline Waters



Rainbow tries her hoof at writing a story...about her fellow Wonderbolts.

  • ...
0
 16
 1,225

Soarin Skies and the Secret Problem

"Can we do me now?" Soarin pleaded when he found Rainbow a few days after she'd completed the first chapter. Rainbow laughed and nodded.

"I promised I would. But...what should I write about you?" Rainbow asked, glancing at him.

"Yeah..." Soarin trailed off, and Rainbow smiled at him.

"How about-"

"Thoarin!" Fleetfoot came into the room, panicked.

"What's wrong Fleet?"

"Thpitfire'th hurt!" Fleetfoot cried, and the two leapt up.

"Show me." Soarin ordered, following Fleetfoot. Rainbow grabbed up her quill and paper, then followed them out.

"What happened Fleet?" Rainbow asked as they walked.

"I don't know, one minute we were flying, the next she landed on a cloud and had trouble taking off again." Fleetfoot responded.

They made it outside and Fleetfoot led them up. Spitfire was examining her wing. When she saw them, she quickly let it fold back to her side. Soarin landed and reached out with his hoof.

"Spitfire, give me your wing."

"No, it's fine Soar, I already looked it over, I must just be tired." Spitfire started to say.

"Spit, there might be something you missed. We're both trained in first aid, come on." Soarin urged.

"Wait, why are you? I'm not." Rainbow asked.

"It's a part of the extra training we had to go through to become Captain and Co-Captain. Now come on Spit." Soarin kept his eyes focused directly on Spitfire. Rainbow reached and scrawled a quick note on her paper.

In all the time I've known Soarin, I've only seen him so determined about something once. When he ordered Wind Rider to tell us where he sent Spitfire. Now, he's even more determined, glaring at her eye-to-eye. Again, because of Spitfire.

Spitfire sighed and extended her wing. Soarin sat by her and looked to Fleetfoot.

"Keep her calm Fleet, if I touch a sensitive part she might jump."

"I'm right here!" Spitfire snapped, and Fleetfoot touched her nose to Spitfire's.

"Calm down Thpitty, he'th jutht trying to help." Fleetfoot soothed. She sat at Spitfire's other side, leaning into her.

"Rainbow, c'mere." Soarin said, and Rainbow obeyed.

"What is it?" Rainbow asked

"I need you to back me up. I have a pretty good idea what it is, but Spit's not gonna like it. So, I need you to confirm that we're both seeing the same thing."

"Okay...what are we seeing?" Rainbow asked, and Soarin shifted Spitfire's wing, showing Rainbow the underside.

There were a few missing feathers, and blood was trickling down the gaps. In a few places lacerations covered her wings.

"Soarin, what-"

"It's been scraped against something repeatedly. Fleet, is her other wing bleeding?"

"Neither of them are." Spitfire replied

"I wasn't asking you Spit." Soarin retorted, and Fleetfoot lifted Spitfire's other wing. The look on her face answered his question.

"What did you do Thpitty?!" Fleetfoot cried, touching her muzzle to Spitfire's cheek.

"I..." Spitfire sighed and brought her wings back to her sides. "I...went a little too far while I was working out in the gym. And I forgot to rub some of that chalk powder on my wings when I started using the pull-up bar."

"Spit, you're always the one telling us to do that." Rainbow said

"Don't remind me." Spitfire muttered through gritted teeth. "I was distracted, because Rapid and Fire Streak were fighting, and I didn't stop to think. Then I was too embarrassed to admit I'd forgotten the rule I made, and decided...nopony had to know."

"Spit, you should have told us. Now they'll take longer to heal." Soarin said, eyes softening.

"I know Soar. I'm sorry, really." Spitfire sighed

"Come on, let'th get you back down to HQ, we should probably get your wingth looked at." Fleetfoot said, lifting Spitfire up to carry her down.

"You don't need to carry me."

"No, but I want to." Fleetfoot shifted her hold on the bigger mare, so she was holding her bridal style.

"Fleet!" Spitfire protested when she realized the position Fleetfoot had her in.

"Just enjoy it Spit." Rainbow teased, grinning.

"Shut up Crash." Spitfire's face was bright red. She buried her head in Fleetfoot's neck, clearly embarrassed. Fleetfoot smiled at the mare, then flew off.

"Now that that's taken care of, we can go back to planning out my chapter." Soarin said, and Rainbow cocked her head.

"What are you talking about? You just gave me the chapter." Rainbow said

"I did?"

"Yes silly. I can write it about how you helped Spitfire. You know, you're a softy too, just like her. Only cuter." Rainbow replied

"Y-You think I'm cute?" Soarin asked. Rainbow gasped, covering her mouth with her wing.

"D-did I say that out loud?"

Soarin laughed and moved her wing with his own, smiling at her.

"I think you're cute too Dashie."

"Y-you do?" Rainbow asked, looking away.

"Yeah." Soarin admitted, blushing.

Rainbow leaned forward and kissed him swiftly, then backed away. Soarin stared at her, then pulled Rainbow into his forelegs. He hugged her close, then they let go of each other.

"Do you want to help me write your chapter of the book?" Rainbow asked shyly.

"I would love to." Soarin replied, taking her by the hoof and lifting off. Rainbow followed him, smiling.

---------------------------------------------

Without Soarin, I'm sure Spitfire would never have admitted she was hurt. I know Fleetfoot would have figured it out eventually, but Spitfire would have been grounded for a long time.

Rainbow broke off, and Soarin put his muzzle to hers.

"What's wrong?"

"Something's missing from the first part..." Rainbow moved back up to the top of the paper and wrote some more depth into the first note she took.

...glaring at her eye-to-eye, which is no easy feat when we're talking about Spitfire. Again, it was because she was in trouble. And this time, his eyes...they stopped being the kind, gentle eyes everypony's used to. It was like they changed from leaf green to emerald green, the kind that can slice somepony down with a single glare.

"You seem really focused on my eyes." Soarin teased gently, and Rainbow shoved him with her wing.

"Shush you." Rainbow retorted, then returned to the last paragraph.

I think that as the Co-Captain, Soarin becomes the protector of his friends when Spitfire can't be. The only time I've ever seen him so determined is when something happens to Spitfire or Fleetfoot.

"Hey Soar, do you know what it's like to have siblings?"

"Not really. My parents only had me. But Fleet, Spit, and I were inseparable as foals, does that count?"

"I think it does. I mean, the CMCs would probably consider each other sisters. And that's the perfect ending for your chapter." Rainbow said

"What?"

"Just watch." Rainbow added a few more lines to the paragraph.

As Soarin is an only child, he obviously developed a close bond with his only friends. He loves them like they were his sisters. And would do anything to make sure they're safe.

"Huh. That actually just about sums it up." Soarin nuzzled her, and Rainbow smiled at him. "Good job Dashie."

"Well of course I did a good job. I'm Rainbow Dash." Rainbow replied, and Soarin laughed, kissing her cheek.

"Yes, you are. So, who's next?"

"Well..."