• Published 22nd Dec 2019
  • 865 Views, 28 Comments

Can You See Me Now - Marezinger Z



Zephyr Breeze, Marble Pie and Snips set themselves on their friends and family after receiving greatly enhanced abilities from an unknown Unicorn.

  • ...
1
 28
 865

Chapter 1

Rainbow Dash hurried through Ponyville, trying to finish some shopping before heading to the Wonderbolt Compound back in Cloudsdale. Her rapid pace was brought to a grinding halt at the sound of an unwelcomed voice.

"Hey there, RD." Zephyr Breeze stepped from the doorway of the barbershop.

"Ugh, hey... Zephyr." Rainbow Dash let out a long sigh as he walked in front of her, impeding her path.

"What's up?" He asked cheerfully. "Haven't seen you in a while." His hoof motioned back towards the barbershop. "Got a little part time gig here now; you know... putting those styling skills to use."

"That's great, Zephyr." She tried to sidestep but he followed her over.

"Wanna little snip snip?" He tried to reach out to her mane but she backed her head away. "First ones' free." He leaned in. "Just for you though, don't go spreading that around."

"Can't, in a hurry." She stepped to the opposite side, but again he followed.

"You're always in a hurry, Dash." He swam his foreleg in a wave motion. "You need to slow down and enjoy the ride of life every once in a while. Maybe... grab a bite to eat?" He grinned with a not so subtle wink. "I can take a little break."

"Tell you what." Rainbow Dash flew up over his head. "Grab one for both of us, I need to get back; really busy today." She sped off and left him in her dust cloud.

"Ha ha… okay, RD." He waved with a disheartened sigh. "Maybe next time."

"Excuse me?" A rich voice came from behind him.

Zephyr whipped around, taken by the striking Unicorn before him. "Oh, hello there." He laughed nervously. "Can I... help you?"

"You style manes, correct?" She asked.

"Absolutely." He smiled. "Uh... did you overhear that free thing? Because that's not..."

"I assure you I can pay." She stepped inside.

"Awesome." He followed after her. "So, what kind of magic can I work for you today, miss...?"

"Renaissance." She tipped her head. "And you are?"

"Zephyr Breeze, at your service." He gestured to an open chair. "How can I craft your coif today?"

"Hmm, surprise me." Renaissance sat in the chair and stared into his eyes through the reflection of the mirror.

"No problem." He chuckled, a bit unnerved at the intensity of her gaze.

"I couldn't help but notice your exchange outside." She began as he started his work. "That was Rainbow Dash of the Wonderbolts, correct?"

"Sure was." He confirmed.

"Are you two close?"

Her questioned staggered him inside. "Well... I'd like to think so. We've known each other for years, she's like best friends with my sis." His mind wandered throughout the years. "I've watched her go from a plucky filly to hero of Equestria; she's... really amazing."

"Your tone suggests you care for her greatly." She smiled. "She must be important to you, although... she seemed rather dismissive of you."

"Well." He let out a dry laugh. "You know, all part of the... strategy." He shimmied his shoulders. "The dance of love, as they say."

The smile faded from Renaissance's face and her tone darkened. "Is it fun lying to yourself?"

"Huh?" He paused, his eyes returning to her piecing stare in the glass. "I'm not..."

"Stop." She shook her head. "You are like many others I have seen; you cling to hope as if somehow fate will swoop in and alter the world to give you what you desire."

"Look." He backed away from the chair. "No offense, but you're creeping me out; can we not talk about me anymore?"

"That right there, that instinct to accept that you are not worth discussion is what the world has given you." She magically fixed her mane and stood from the chair, turning to him with the same burning gaze. "Let me tell you something; the world does not notice the meek and mild."

"My sister would beg to differ." He muttered, looking away from her.

"Really?" She cocked her head. "Why is that?"

He looked back into her eyes, seeing that they had softened. In spite of the topic, looking into her eyes made him feel like he could trust her; even with his deepest thoughts."Be… because she's always been quiet and shy but everypony always loves her." A hint of bitterness manifested in his voice. "She doesn't even try... I try my tail off to stand out and all it ever gets me is pushed aside."

Her smile returned. "There, finally some truth." She commended. "Doesn't that feel better?"

"No." He huffed. "Why would it be fun to admit that I'm…"

"What?"

"Ju... just a loser." His eyes went downcast.

"Why do you think that?" She continued.

"Because it's true!" He finally answered with a strong stamp of his hoof. "My parents always help me, but I know deep down they're embarrassed of me... even my sister." He tossed his hoof out to the side. "And Rainbow Dash just thinks I'm a joke; I've thought the world of her since we were young and she treats me like dirt. She doesn't even give me a chance."

"It's easy to wind up playing a part that is repeatedly thrust upon us." She went to him, setting her hoof under his chin and holding his head up. "Listen, I did not come here for mane care. I live to help ponies like you, ponies that have so much to say and yet no voice to say it with; and my magic led me to you which means that you need my help."

"You... you can help?" He asked timidly. "How?"

"I can remake you, give you what you need to not only have that voice that you lack but ensure that the world finally sees you."

Zephyr's mind struggled with such an offer, but could not deny how enticing it sounded. "That sounds cool, but what do you..."

"Nothing." Renaissance smiled. "As I said, I live to help ponies like you." Her horn began to glow. "Now, let me work my magic on you."


Morning saw Limestone and Marble engaged in the same lockstep routine that every morning brought with it; although lately the pair had been working more than usual since their father had broken his leg following an accident the week prior. The sisters ate their breakfast and headed out to begin the day's work, although Marble had a noticeable pep in her trot. They labored until noon, when they returned to the house for the lunch their mother had prepared. The duo ate by themselves while their mother returned to the upstairs to feed their father.

"Eat fast." Limestone grumbled. "Still got a lot to get done before the sun goes down."

"Mm, hm." Marble nodded. Doing as instructed, she was quick to leave the table and hurry to her room when finished. She retuned with a flyer held in her mouth, offering it to Limestone with smiling eyes.

"Huh, what's this?" Limestone took the paper and laid it on the table. "Harvest Faire?"

"Mm, hm." Marble nodded again.

"Come on, Marble." Limestone let out a hard sigh. "You know there's no time for stuff like this, especially now." She grimaced as Marble's smile faded. "With mom taking care of pop it's down to just you and me, the farm needs us at 120%." Marble's eyes soured in response. "Don't give me that look, you know I'm right."

"B...bu..." Marble began.

"No buts." Limestone stood. "Look, let's just get through this month. When pop is back up on his feet I'll find some time to let you go do whatever, but right now it's just out of the question."

Marble sulked as Limestone headed back outside, calling for her to follow. She quietly obeyed and finished out the day, having lost the pep she had started it with. Limestone offered her more logic to defend her position and as always Marble simply nodded, accepting her elder sister's will. After another quiet dinner, Marble returned to the field to be alone and think; she sat atop a cold rock with the chilled night air rolling over her.

"Hello, child." A mysterious new voice called. Marble whipped her head up to see an unfamiliar Unicorn and a Pegasus she vaguely recalled. "I am sorry to have startled you." Marble shook her head to signify that it was alright. "My, you are quite the silent one, aren't you? Why is that, I wonder." She sat beside Marble. "Do you not like to speak?"

"Um..." Marble mumbled, ultimately shaking her head.

"Why ever not?" Renaissance asked. "Surely you have things you wish to say."

Marble looked into the stranger's eyes and felt an overwhelming comfort wash over her, more comfort than she found in even her own mother's typically stern gaze. "Mm, hm." She slowly nodded in response.

"Not much of a conversationalist." Zephyr noted.

"That is not her fault." Renaissance reached up and petted her cheek. "This is what the world has done to her, she suffers as you do; such suffering can manifest in all manner of ways." She smiled reassuringly. "Since you are short on words, allow me my own; my name is Renaissance and my magic has led me to you." She explained. "My life's work is to help ponies like you, ones that have their identity and voice suppressed by the world around them because they are seen as lesser." Marble's eyes belied her timid nature, great uncertainty at the Unicorn's words swirling within them. "It is true." Renaissance assured. "You may feel alone in the world, but I promise you there are so many like you; I aid them by giving them what they need to make their voices heard." A light laugh left her. "Something you seem to need more than any other I've come across."

"It's true." Zephyr stepped over with a confident smile. "She's helped me already and I feel like a new pony." His eyes suddenly began to glow blue. "When the time is right, I'm going to make my grand entrance and things are going to change."

"Don't you want to be heard?" Renaissance continued. "Are you happy remaining silent and at the behest of all around you?"

Marble shook her head. "N..n...no..." She finally uttered.

"Then will you allow me to help you?"

"Y... yes." Marble answered with a bit more volume.

"You have made the first and most important step in ensuring that the world will finally see the full potential of..." She looked at her expectantly.

"M..Marble." She answered, her lips forming a small smile. "Marble Pie."


Outside the Buckball Stadium, Snips had quietly set up his merchandise display, looking to make some quick bits while he waited for Snails to wrap up his practice game. His bored mind wandered as he dealt with the occasional customer until he jumped at the sharp call of one of the stadium's security. He looked over to see Applebloom pointing at him, the officer quickly heading over.

"You again." The stallion groaned. "How many times do I have to chase you off? I told you, no soliciting on the stadium grounds."

"Hey, all my merchandise is in support of the team with fifty... well, forty percent being donated." Snips defended, staring up at the stallion. "I'm doing you a favor here."

"You want to do me a favor?" He asked in return. "Quit causing trouble before I have to haul you in and have all this stuff confiscated."

"Fine." Snips began packing up. "Always trying to keep a business pony down." He muttered.

"Don't let me catch you out here again." The officer headed off as Applebloom approached.

"Why'd you rat me out?" Snips eyed her.

"Because you're little business schemes just ain't honest." She shook her head. "My family operates a business and we don't take kindly to stuff like this; it's just so... Flim and Flam. Seriously, when did you become such a bit hungry grifter?"

"What else is there?" He asked back, folding up his table. "We can't all be famous and popular."

"I ain't all those things."

"Sister to a hero of Equestria." Snips began. "Part of the famous CMC and tutor at Twilight's school of friendship." He shook his head in frustration. "Go be perfect somewhere else and leave me alone."

"Hey." She huffed. "Don't get mad at me because you got caught doing something you weren't supposed to be doing."

"Whoa there." Scootaloo halted them as she raced up on her scooter, Sweetie Belle right behind her. "What's going on?"

"Snips is hawking this junk again." Applebloom explained.

"Really?" Sweetie Belle raised her brow at him.

"It isn't junk." Snips grumbled. "I make quality souvenirs." He whipped a pennet out of his pack, unfortunately with so much speed it snapped in half.

"Uh huh." Applebloom toned judgmentally.

"Alright now." Scootaloo waved them down. "Let's not fight about this."

"Snips." Sweetie Belle looked at him with concern. "I have to admit, you've been taking these business plans a little far lately. You never used to be like this."

Snips genuinely angered at that. "You know, it's bad enough that I barely see my only real friend anymore; I don't need a lecture from you three." He pushed through them and started off.

"Maybe you do." Applebloom continued. "You..."

"Yeah, I suck! I get it!" He glared back at them.

"Snips, that's not what we're saying." Scootaloo assured.

"Just leave me alone!" He barked, heading off again.

"Whoa." Sweetie Belle looked to her friends. "Where did that come from?"

Snips stewed in his anger until the game ended, as ponies began to file out he cheered at the sight of Snails as he emerged with his basket. "Finally." He galloped over to meet him.

"Oh, hey Snips." Snails smiled. "How'd the sale go?"

"Could have been better." Snips walked along side him. "So, what do you want to do today?"

"Sorry, Snips." Snails apologized. "I have an actual meeting to go to."

"What?"

"Yeah, how about that?" Snails laughed. "A pony from an athletics club came to see me and offered me a job coaching their junior Buckball program for the rest of the season. I need to go there and meet with the program director." A wide smile crossed him. "Who'd have thought, huh?"

"B...but we were supposed to hang out today." Snips whined. "We haven't hung out in over a week."

"I'm sorry." Snails rubbed the back of his head. "This whole Buckball thing has been a real rollercoaster, I never thought it would get this big but... I really like it, you know." He set his hoof to Snip's shoulder. "Once I'm done with the season we'll catch up."

"The whole season?" Snips asked with disheartened eyes.

"It's only three months till off-season." Snails casually detailed. "It'll fly by." He quickened his pace. "See you later, buddy!" He called back.

"Yeah... later." Snips sighed as he watched him off.

Snips sat in the empty bleachers, his pack of souvenirs at his side as he stared down at the field. Between his argument with the CMC and the knowledge that he would be without his best friend for another three months his mind and heart were heavy.

"The game is over." An elegant voice noted. "Why do you continue to sit here?"

Snips glanced over to see a Unicorn seated beside him. "Where the heck did you come from?"

"I am here because I need to be." She answered. "Why are you?"

"Nowhere else to be." He answered sullenly.

"I see." She nodded. "I am sorry to hear that, even more so that you feel that way."

"Who are you, lady?" He asked.

"Oh, forgive me." She chortled. "My name is Renaissance, and my magic led me here... to you."

"To me?" Snips eyed her suspiciously.

"Yes, you see I am drawn to ponies whom the world brushes aside; so I already know that you suffer inside." She looked into his eyes.

Snips found himself transfixed by her gaze. "I don't know about suffer."

"The world moves on outside and yet you sit here, alone in this empty stadium." She pointed out. "Is it happiness that led you to this moment?"

"Well... no." He admitted.

"I cannot help unless you speak." She smiled comfortingly. "Tell me what is the matter? What has this world done to lead you to this spot at this time?"

Snips felt a wall crumble within him as he continued to look into her eyes, in a mere instant he felt as if this stranger was closer to him than any pony else. "It's just... I feel like I'm losing my friend."

"To what?"

"To... to this!" He gestured down to the field. "This stupid game! We used to be together all the time because we didn't have any pony else; but ever since he discovered he was good at Buckball we've been spending less and less time together." He picked up a cap from his pack. "I even started selling this stuff so we could stay close." He threw the cap out over the seats. "But now... this stuff is all I have." His body slumped. "I just sell it to make bits because bits are the only friend I've got."

"You poor dear." Renaissance laid her hoof to his head. "You deserve to have your feelings made clear and your voice heard. I can remake you, give you what you need to make that happen."

"You can?" He looked up at her.

"Yes, if that is your wish."

Snips took little time to consider, quickly nodding. "Yeah, it is."

"Very well, then come with us." She stood.

"Us?" Snips looked beyond her, seeing Zephyr and Marble down the row of seats.

"Hey there, short stack." Zephyr waved. "Welcome to the party."

"Don't worry." Marble said, her voice as clear as the sky. "You won't have to feel alone anymore."