• Published 3rd Dec 2019
  • 426 Views, 5 Comments

Twilight Sparkle: Witchfinder (in training) - an semi-gothic AU - Gamiel



Witchfinders Zenith and Twilight Sparkle are sent to the town of Ponyville after an unnaturally localised earthquake create rumours about witchcraft. Leading to anxiety for the innocent vampire Fluttershy and her allies.

  • ...
1
 5
 426

2 Finding a rainbow in the mist?

The morning mist lay heavy between the houses and the land beyond when the duo left Ponyville’s inn. The mist made it hard even for people familiar with Ponyville to find their way and monsieur Zenith and Twilight Sparkle who was out-of-towners which meant that they quickly where lost.

“What do you think”, asked Twilight as she looked at the map.

“I think we should ask that weather pony”, answered Zenith as he pointed at a black pegasus that was herding part of the fog before them into a tick little cloud.

“Can I help you”, wondered the black Pegasus as the approached him.

“I hope so; we are looking for Rainbow Dash house.”

“Oh, yea. I can show you there, if you just allow me to finish up with the work on this soon-to-be number 3 cloud.”

Some quick spins to fully put the cloud together, followed by a hard kick that sent it up 20 m in the air and the pegasus landed before the pair.

“Follow me. It’s easier than giving directions. I’m Thunderlane, by the way.”

After passing what Twilight thought was seven houses, changing direction three times and walking up a hill did they stopped.

“Here it’s, it’s a bit hard to see in the fog but if you just go forward some meters an’ look up you’ll see it.”

“Thanks for your help master Thunderlane, we would not have gotten her until the fog was cleared if it was not for you.”

“Think nothing of it”, the Pegasus rose up into the air and had turned back toward the village when he stopped, “I just remembered, if you’re looking for Dash, an’ not just her house, so will you not find her there.”

“What do you mean?”

“She has been taking a sabbatical for the last days, to help Fluttershy. You heard about the spa, right. Well Fluttershy, who’s Dash best friend, was in it an’ had has been unwilling to leave her house since then. So Dash has been helping her an’ all that.”

“Thanks for the information, can you help us to Fluttershy’s?”

“Well, yea, but not right now. I’ve to finish my job first, Fluttershy don’t live in the town so it would take too much of my time right now. But after that I’m available.”

“Thanks for the offer but I think we can find Fluttershy’s house ourselves once the mist have been lifted.”

“Suit yourself, have a good day.”

Zodiac turned to Twilight, “Well what do we do now?”

“Ehm, let me see”, Twilight levitated her notebook and the papers on the involved and the map they had been given by Mayor Mare. “Let’s see, RD has been gone from work for five days, to take care of FS”, her quill moved as she wrote, “this fit with what the mayor informed us about their relationship and FS’s disposition. That means that two of the involved have left their houses in Ponyville. Going by the map, the closest witness are now the madams Lotus Blossom and Aloe, currently staying with master Davenport, over his Quills and Sofas store. We go and question them!”


-x-x-x-x-x-


“It was horrible”, began Lotus Blossom.

“Absolutely terrible”, added Aloe.

“We had just begun the treatment of Rarity and Fluttershy when the shakes started.”

“Poor Fluttershy, this most have been horrifying for her. She’s such an sensitive soul.”

“She is a sensitive one, poor girl.

“That’s probably why she was the first to notice the quack.”

“Most likely. Oh, you said that you would talk to all involved, pleas be careful with Fluttershy, she must be so traumatized by this.”

“We will have that in mind”, said Twilight, “do you remember anything more?”

“No, not really.”

“We are sorry that we can’t be of more help.”

“We can’t even remember our spa falling down.”

“Only the fear when it begun to shake and then walking up in the infirmary.”

“You mention Fluttershy but don’t seem that concerned about Rarity. Why that?”

“Oh, it is not because we dislike Rarity.”

“But you have to understand that Rarity may be a drama queen and like to think of herself as a fragile flower.”

“But she’s not really a week-blooded noblemare”, Twilight raised an eyebrow at that but keep quiet, unlike what the gossip-papers and bits dreadful often said so was there few noblemares that was week-blooded, “and a lot hardier then she present herself. She may act like she’s a frail flower but in reality she’s oak.”

“If she’s capable to fix everything needed to take a ten day vacation away from Ponyville to have her dramatic meltdown, she’s not that badly shaken. She will come back and make a drama over what happened, feel extremely bad that she was not here helping Fluttershy and us.”

“She will make a martyr off herself while trying to do anything to help us.”

“I see”, said Twilight, “do you have anything else to ad?”

“No.”

“Not really.”

“Good. Now, there have been talks in the township about witchcraft and that’s the main reason we’re here: to find out the truth and act upon it. Whichever that means: apprehending a witch, clearing an innocent from accusation or something else”, as Twilight spoke Zenith was thankful that that she gave the memorized standard speech instead of going into all variables and duties of the job, “With that said I have to ask you if you know of anybody that would dislike you or your guests so much that they were willing to destroy a building and all in it just to get to that pony they dislike.”

For a short time it was quiet.

“Well”, begun Lotion, “I can’t think of anybody who would do that.”

“There’s the Everfree Eremite”, suggested Aloe.

“Why do you think that”, inquired Twilight, “has she done anything like this before or shown animosity toward you?”

“… Not really.”

“On both points.”

“Understood, I suggest having a bit more on your back before accusing somebody. Another question I have to ask is if you know of any whom would economically profit from your spa being destroyed or you dying.”

“No.”

“Not at all.”

“Good. I would say that’s all. We hope this interview has not been harrowing for you and wish you a speedy recovery from you’re ordeal. And thanks for the cockiest and tea.”

-x-x-x-x-x-

As the two police ponies left the Quills and Sofas store Zenith directed his junior toward the nearest ally, in which shadows Twilight allowed the tightly kept mask of self-control to drop and begin to hyperventilate. She relived every mistake she had done during the interview: she had asked the questions in the wrong order! She had been to blunt! She had not asked enough follow up questions! She had asked follow up questions that was not needed! She had nearly asked leading question! Had she asked leading questions and not realized it?! Ahhhh! Maybe she had done mistakes she had not realized?! This could lead to the case falling apart! And it would be her fault! She would be a disappointment to Zenith, to her father, to her whole family, to her teachers, to the Princess! They would demote her for her incompetence! Or worse, throw her out and she would have to go back to Magic Kindergarten!

All the while Twilight was panicking was Zenith by her side, stroking her calmly and talking calmly in Prench (speaking any language Twiligth fully understood would only lead to her panicking more as her mind worked overtime with coming up reasons to why the things said to her was wrong or meant that she was in even deeper trouble).

When her breading had returned to normal Twilight looked at her instructor and asked with a weak voice, “I failed. Didn’t I?”

“No mon cher Twilight. You did good,” by those words Twilight visibly become less tense, “With that said, what do we do now?”

Twilight took a deep breath, steadied herself and answered, “Rainbow Dash is supposedly at Fluttershy’s, helping her recover. Logically we go to Fluttershy’s and interview them both.”