• Published 3rd Dec 2019
  • 673 Views, 8 Comments

A Song Worth Singing... - LoveandEdify



An ex-Dazzling pines to know whether or not if she could ever truly be accepted. Turns out, he was wondering the same thing.

  • ...
2
 8
 673

Chapter 1: A Road Worth Traveling...

A Song Worth Singing

Chapter 1: A Road Worth Traveling...


Normal POV


“Oh my Celestia, you have to tell me more!!!” Sonata shrieked and cheered out like the schoolgirl she was. A few months ago, she was reluctantly a part of the group of musical villainesses known as The Dazzlings, until she realized that what she was doing, along with her being pushed around by her sisters, was something she could no longer stand for. Now, in the present moment, she was taking this opportunity of redemption and milking it the best possible way she knew how.

Be yourself, only better.

Each day: this was grounded into her heart and soul as her mantra, proverb and song; and even though a good majority of the people at her new school at Canterlot High either shunned, mocked, or ignored her, she continued to persevere with said mantra in mind. This new mindset, combined with her already bubbly optimistic personality and attitude, helped her carry on through what most people would consider as the most trying time of their lives.

Even Sonata herself had admitted that it was tedious to get back in everyone’s good graces, and that at times, she also considered giving up. But it was also during said times, that she remembered who she did it all for in the first place. Herself. This didn’t mean or imply that Sonata didn’t want to make friends at all, which she did, very much so in fact. She wasn’t at all picky with who she would attempt to befriend, and try to impact for the better as well. From the school janitor, to the Rainbooms themselves; there was no one sonata considered less than, or greater than to be worthy of love, friendship and acceptance.


However, just because Sonata wasn’t picky about who she would want to make friends with; didn’t mean she didn’t have her favorite people, or (in this case) her favorite person. She first heard of Rapid Crest, right after the Battle Of The Bands she was forced to take place in; and quickly heard tidbits of information about him from other students, including the Rainbooms. From what she had heard, he was very confident, humble, relatable, compassionate and loyal to his friends (even when times were difficult). After careful observation (or a crazy amount of stalking, take your pick), she confirmed that they were true.

Right after realizing this, something happened in her heart that she had always heard others discuss, experience, or even exaggerate. But after her first close-up encounter with him; everything within her confirmed the rumors floating on in her mind.


She was in love with Rapid Crest, and there was no denying it.


After realizing that, she became determined to not merely include herself in his life; but to become a constant source of light and positivity in his life for the better. Such things included small things: like following him on Pictagram, learning more about him from other students, becoming his personal cheerleader at every event he was in (no, literally, one time, she even cheered for him while he was in debate club. Do debate clubs even have cheerleaders? :applejackconfused::applejackconfused::applejackconfused:). While other things were much bigger: such as walking up to him to offer encouragement after a tough game, walking into his conversations to give him reassurance about how awesome he was, DMing him to see if he needed extra help in certain areas of study, going above and beyond helping him at whatever events he had set up, and especially making sure that the door was open for him in every aspect of her life.

Every aspect. Every door, was open for him. She would always be there for him when he felt like talking to her, or if he needed her. No matter what.

Maybe that’s why she finally felt overjoyed that she was going to transition from fan to (hopefully) friend, as Rapid invited her to come along with him and Pinkie to Sugarcube Corner for a hangout. It wasn’t that long of a walk to his house, so Sonata spent the better part of the trip chatting with Pinkie about their favorite Rapid moments, as well as things to know about him.


“So Sonata, I heard you got your new concert coming up...” Pinkie-Pie commented, briefly changing the subject matter as they were approaching the last mile of the road. “Have you considered inviting Rapid?” she asked, wondering how into her best friend Sonata would be. Sonata laughed.

“I’d love to see him at my concert next week,” she affirmed, “Although if I could do a concert for just Rapid, that would be even better.” Pinkie-Pie happily gasped at her new friend’s reply.

“Like a private concert?!” Pinkie asked. Sonata simply nodded in response, not knowing what else to say that she either hadn’t already said before or how to not go into another gushing session over her crush. Pinkie happily shrieked, “Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh!!! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: You wanna know what would be even better?!?” Pinkie asked enthusiastically. Sonata was about to respond, but turned back and noticed that Rapid stopped walking about 30 paces behind them. She wondered what would have been going on inside his head that would make him stop walking with his friend, especially Pinkie-Pie, because (from what she heard and observed) he was the closest to this member of the Rainbooms out of all of them.

“OneofthosemovietheaterswherethemanagerreservesatheaterJUSTforyoutwo, andthenthemoviestartsandyoutwoarekissingandhuggingandeatingpopcorn...” Pinkie paused her rambling when she noticed that Sonata had waled back to check up on Rapid. Pinkie mentally facepalmed for not thinking about checking on him herself.

“Are you alright, Rapid?” Sonata asked, concerned that something she did or didn’t do, might have been causing some of this anguish he must have been feeling inside. She wiped the sweat that was inevitably going to be forming from her brow; yet chose to put her feelings and concerns for Rapid first, so she wouldn’t be thinking solely of her own nervousness.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Hey, can you let me be for a while so that I could finish this phone call first? I’ll get back to you as soon as I’m done.” Rapid politely explained. While she did see him sitting down on the sidewalk with his head bowed down from a distance, she didn’t notice that he had his cell-phone in his hand.

“Yeah, sure thing.” Sonata politely responded, turning and stepping away as Rapid continued his conversation.


“Have you ever considered that this Sonata Dusk really likes you?” the voice on the other end of the line questioned. Rapid huffed out in frustration, holding his phone up to his left ear with his left hand, and tapping the fingers of his right hand on his right kneecap.

“Yeah, she really likes me alright.” Rapid said, sarcastically. “Really likes me enough to try and take over the whole school with her sisters the first month I move in, then pops up with this bubbly fangirl person, then pretty much worships me for no reason whatsoever.”

“Ok, sounds like somebody needs to do another one of Uncle Stalwart’s Perspective Shift Challenges.” Stalwart Avalanche insisted over the line. Rapid shrugged, as if to openly question his butler and friend’s advice. “Now don’t you dare interrupt me and say another word, Rapid.” he went on. “I know you don’t really like all the hard things I do for you sometimes, but you gotta know that when I do them for you...”

“I/You do it to strengthen your/my character.” they both said simultaneously.

“Yes, you catch on quick, boy.” Stalwart remarked, impressed with the bright intellect of his friend and protege, “But none of those things you learn or things aren’t gonna do you any good if you don’t apply them. And sometimes the best way to see if what you have is any good is to test it. And to test it, you’re gonna have to challenge it; no matter how insane it is to do it.” the butler affirmed with a pure balance of 100% sternness and authority that one could expect from a father figure, but also 100% of the love, care and respect of a true friend.

“I understand, Master Stalwart.” Rapid reverently concurred, after taking a few seconds to process everything he had just heard and for catching his breath. “So, what challenges are there this time?” he asked, so he could at least have a grasp on what his friend was trying to teach him.

“So here’s what you’re gonna do,” his butler/father-figure replied, “I’m gonna give you 3 challenges. Now, they’re not easy, son. That’s why they’re called ‘challenges’, but they’re pretty simple compared to what you had to go through with...”

“Please, let’s not talk about that right now.” Rapid pleaded, respectfully yet vulnerably. Even though it had been a couple of years since his immediate family died in a terrible accident, and through the help of his loving butler and newfound friends, he had coped with it well. It was still an emotional and touching subject for him nonetheless.

“Right, sorry I went a bit too far there.” Stalwart apologized, knowing that he can sometimes take his well-intentioned barbs too far. Rapid simply nodded in forgiveness and understanding.


Challenge Number One: Accept Sonata for Who She Is


“Now that means always accepting her for her. No matter what. And from what you’re telling me, all these things she’s trying to do is because she really likes you for some reason. She wants to prove to you that she’s not the same person who wanted to take over the world. She wants friends now, I know it. And you know that you’re the best option for her too. Deep down, you feel it.” Stalwart affirmed, in a matter of fact tone of voice.

“But what about when she starts to go all Anime fangirl on me?!” Rapid questioned, somewhat confused at this whole idea.

“Well obviously she’s doing all of this to show you that you’re her number 1. And I'm surprised that out of all the years I’ve known you, you seem to be too modest. Shunting all those times people bring up your name, deflecting all of the good things people do and say about you. But if you stay too humble, then it’ll only just hurt the people who just wanna help you in the first place.” the butler clarified.

Rapid looked up from the ground quickly, “I haven’t really thought of it that way.” he admitted, finally grasping the point his friend was attempting to gently pound in.

“Mhm.” Stalwart concurred, “Now I know that it’s gonna get to be overkill at times, so if you do feel a little uncomfortable; tell her, but do it lovingly. You want to make your point, but don’t ever lose that friendship.

“I understand.” Rapid agreed, “What’s the next challenge?”

Author's Note:

I’m gonna leave this here, mainly because the algorithm is seeing some problem about having a lot of paragraphs being spaced out (which, ironically enough, was what I needed to do to solve the last two problems I had). Unlike last time however, it wouldn’t let me fix the issue, so this is being cut short. :facehoof::facehoof::fluttercry::fluttercry:

Now, about Rapid Crest. As promised.

He’s a Freshman at Canterlot High, he’s an athlete extraordinary with the determination and grit to match. He’s 5’11 with the dunking ability and athletic prowess of someone 6’5. Unlike Rainbow-Dash, he’s proud of his accomplishments but doesn’t brag highly of his abilities or anything else he does. He’s also very bright when it comes to social norms and is very dependable when it comes to problem solving. When he’s not at school, you can find him hanging out with/helping out friends, working on whatever sport he needs to work on (primarily basketball), tinkering with his car, or organizing community benefit events.

That’s all I’ll leave for now, you’re all gonna look forward to getting to know Rapid Crest.

Next chapter, the other two challenges will be abbreviated because one, they will be shown more in action than in word. And also, we’ll also be seeing Sonata, Rapid and The Rainbooms having fun at Sugarcube Corner.

As always...

Keep Loving, Keep Edifying, Keep LoveandEdifying :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

See ya next chapter!!!