• Published 26th Nov 2019
  • 3,023 Views, 69 Comments

Final Fantasy Twilight - Mystic Sunrise



Five years after vanishing without a trace, Twilight Sparkle returns to Equestria with quite the tale to tell.

  • ...
23
 69
 3,023

Dreams and Memories

Twilight chuckled as she shut off the screen. "Looking back at it now, I'd say that was one heck of an introduction to maybe the most dangerous thing I've ever had to face."

Shining though didn't look very convinced. "It didn't look that bad. If that was all this, Sin could do, it sounds more annoying than anything else."

Twilight waved a hoof. "Oh please. That was just him coming to the surface. He wasn't even trying. Wait till you see all of him."

"And?" Rainbow asked. She actually looked like she was enjoying the show. "Come on, don't leave us hanging. This is just getting good."

Twilight shook her head. "Sorry Rainbow, but I think that's a good place to stop for tonight. The real adventure is just beginning. But it can wait till the morning. I'm beat."

Only now did everyone notice how late it was. All looked to be dead tired. Celestia herself looked to be half asleep on legs at the moment, and Luna still had her nightly duties to attend to.

Starlight though had a burning question, one that couldn't wait. "Twilight. I'm finding something very fishy with Tidus's story. Sure this is a different world we are talking about, but how can someone be thrown into the future a thousand years like that?"

Twilight's ears drooped as her gaze fell. "It's, not that simple Starlight. It was never that simple."

Everyone shared a confused look. They could feel that Twilight wasn't telling them something, but her look said she wasn't going to tell them. Not yet anyway.

Pinkie still had a question though. "So how come Rikku never asked about you?"

Twilight giggled as she looked back up. "She told me later that she had kinda forgotten about me once Tidus started his story. And then she didn't have a chance once we were washed overboard."

That made sense, everyone thought. They probably would have had the same reaction in her shoes.

Twilight stretched as she ignited her horn. "You can all spend the night here if you want. Me? I'm going to bed." And with that, she vanished in a flash of teleportation.

Seeing no reason not to, Spike and Starlight directed everyone to a spare bedroom, before turning in themselves. Starlight though could not sleep. Her mind was still wandering over details in Twilight's story that didn't make any sense.

Hopefully, it would all make sense in time.

***

Princess Luna, for the first time in a very long time, was at a loss for words at what she was looking at.

Her nightly patrol of the Dream Realm had just begun and tonight, like so many before it, she started with the Elements of Harmony. Before, with Twilight Sparkle gone, all had been sad and gloomy.

Now with her return, they were happy and glad and filled with the things Luna expected of them. But they were also filled with many questions over Twilight's story.

Luna herself had many questions, so when she finally came around to Twilight herself, she wasn't sure what she would find. What she saw though was beyond anything she had ever seen or heard of.

In the distance, by the shoes of the sea, a city lay in ruins. What was more incredible was their size. They were huge! To the right, a river of light flowed into the ruins. What it was Luna couldn't tell, but it was beautiful nonetheless.

To her immediate right, a small hill rose above the plain, topped with more rusted pieces of debris. At the bottom, in front of a small campfire, sat Twilight Sparkle, who was humming something as Luna walked up.

Twilight smiled as she saw her fellow princess join her. "Hey, Luna. Enjoying the view?"

Luna nodded with a smile. "Very much so Twilight. But what is all this?" She asked as she gestured at all before them.

Twilight looked out into the ruins. "The ruins of a city destroyed a thousand years ago. Many a world view was shattered here."

Luna was confused. "But there is no city, or ruins of one, like this in Equestria or our world."

Twilight smirked. "Who said this was Equus?"

Now it began to click for Luna. "You mean?"

Twilight nodded as gestured to the dead city. "This is, was, Zanarkand. The last stop on the Pilgrimage, where we learned the truth, and it destroyed a thousand years of lies."

She chuckled after a moment. "But I'm getting ahead of my story. So please don't tell anyone about this?"

Luna could only nod, knowing all of this would make more sense when Twilight came to this part of her story. Right now, none of it made any sense to her. Bidding her a good night, she retreated from the dream. But for the rest of the night, her mind was filled with many more questions.

And she would often think of the ruins of the city by the sea.

***

Twilight watched Luna go with a smile. She didn't worry about her telling everyone about this. Even for her, it still took her breath away now, even having seen it multiple times.

And she had also seen Zanarkand in its prime in Guadosalam, even if it had been built from the memories of those on the Farplane.

But for now, Twilight turned her gaze back to the fire, her mind filled with friends both old and new.

Author's Note:

Okay, so now I am stuck in a bit of a bind. I must confess this is the second version of this story. I went back and redid quite a bit from the first one.

The biggest changes were that Starlight Glimmer and Flurry Heart didn't exist at all when I first did it. So now they both exist here.

Trouble is, I have no idea how to properly have Twilight and Flurry finally meet. It's going to be the start of the next chapter before we go to Besaid. Past that won't be a problem.