• Published 26th Nov 2019
  • 3,015 Views, 69 Comments

Final Fantasy Twilight - Mystic Sunrise



Five years after vanishing without a trace, Twilight Sparkle returns to Equestria with quite the tale to tell.

  • ...
23
 69
 3,015

Baaj Temple and Underwater Ruins

In the Main Library of the Castle of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle hummed happily as she set up the World Mirror. She had already sent word to Sunset and her friends she was coming over for a few days.

With the Friendship Games done, with no crisis currently going on in Equestria, Twilight thought it was high time she spends time with her human friends. And as weird as it still was, get to know her counterpart better.

Their first meeting had been strange, to say the least. Now Twilight wanted to try it with nothing hanging over either of their heads.

Spike was not going with her this time. With nothing going on at Canterlot High, he didn't feel like being stuck as a dog for however long Twilight decided to stay for.

For the rest of their Ponyville friends, they were used to this by now. But for Starlight Glimmer, this was her first time to actually see the portal in action. It had been explained to her of course. But seeing it work was another thing entirely. She had already promised to help Twilight in researching it when they had the chance. Now she couldn't wait.

The mirror soon hummed to life. Giving everyone a final glance and an "I'll be back in a few days." Twilight stepped through and was gone.

Even as she did though, all saw a wave of some kind come through the mirror. As it passed through them, they all saw something that would stay with them for a long time.

A city in ruins. Under attack by something they couldn't see, but they all felt it. Vast, powerful, and, something else they couldn't put a hoof on.

Starlight and Spike shared an uneasy look. It reminded them of the so-called Ashlands Timeline they had seen during their misadventures through time. But this felt like more than that. Far more.

Applejack finally broke the silence. "Y'all saw that, right?"

Everyone nodded. "What. What was it?" Fluttershy asked.

"I. I'm not sure. It felt like a wave of magic. But not like any magic I've ever felt before," Rarity replied.

Starlight nodded. "That was a kind of magic. I'm all for new magic, but this isn't like anything I've ever felt before either."

"So what are we supposed to do? Twilight went through the same time that thing did," Rainbow added.

"Not much we can do, unless you guys wanna go through after her?" Spike asked. Nopony volunteered. "Then I say we wait. Maybe it was nothing and Twilight's fine." He gave the mirror another look. "Besides if anything did happen, she has friends over there that'll help her."

Figuring Spike had a point, having done it several times himself, the girls decided to wait it out and hope for the best.

None of them knew it then, but that would be the last time any of them saw Twilight Sparkle for a long time.

***

Twilight knew something was wrong the moment she entered the portal. What it was she couldn't tell, but the feeling wouldn't leave her alone. She just hoped it was nothing.

When she finally stopped spinning and was spat out the other end, she noticed three things right off the bat.

"Wait. This isn't Canterlot High."

"Why am I still a pony?"

And last but certainly not least.

"Huh. I'm floating in mid-air." Right before gravity decided to reassert itself.

"Gahh!" Was all she could say before she fell to the ground with a resounding thump and splash. Picking herself up and giving herself a quick shake, she looked around and took stock of where exactly she was. Wherever it was, it was in rough shape.

Huge piles of rubble littered the ground. Farther up the walls, windows let in a steady stream of water. Several doors lead off into rooms or corridors that lead who knew where. The ceiling looked like it had intricately carved reliefs but from down here Twilight couldn't be sure.

Looking up to where she had first come from, she watched in horror as the portal shimmered before it vanished without a trace.

That finally drove home her new reality. She was in a strange world now, who knew where compared to whatever civilizations the world might have, and her only way home had just closed on her. How long before it would open again? Or would it ever open again?

Twilight hiccuped as her tears began to fall. She wiped them away after a moment. "No. Crying will not get me home or anywhere," she said aloud. It helped calm her nerves a bit. But not by much.

At this point, she finally noticed how cold it was in the room. Looking toward the middle of the room though, she found the remains of a bonfire that still smoldered and sent off smoke. With how wet it was, it was a miracle it was still lit at all. Next to it sat a small stack of firewood.

Nothing a little Heat Spell couldn't fix of course. Fire Magic was her natural element after all. Within a few short moments, Twilight had a nice little blaze going. She began to warm up immediately as she sighed and sat down next to it.

For a time she just sat there and let her mind wander while watching the flames dance and crackle. Occasionally she would look around the room, taking in all of the details she could of it. She admitted that whoever or whatever had built it had known their craft well. It reminded her of Canterlot in a way.

But way wetter. She chuckled at the thought as she looked back at the fire. Right now she needed a plan. Assuming she could find a way out of here, then what? This was a world she had no knowledge of and unlike the Human World, she seriously doubted she would find local versions of her friends and Sunset. That would be too easy. If the fact that she was still a pony was an indication, so then what?

For a time she lost track of the world outside her vision. How long she was like this she didn't know. At some point, Twilight nodded off. When she came to, the fire had gone out and the cold had returned with a vengeance. Groaning at her inability to pay attention, she ignited her horn and prepared to add another log and restart the blaze.

Before she had a chance to though, an almighty boom shook the room, causing her to yelp and jump five feet in the air in shock. Twilight looked around the room as the echos faded, waiting to see if it came again. A moment later, another boom sounded throughout the room, along with the sound of falling rubble.

Coming back down to the ground, Twilight waited nervously, hoping that whatever had caused that was gone now. After a few minutes of nothing, she sighed in relief and turned back to the fire.

Just before she could apply the spell though, she heard the rubble in front of one of the doors begin to move. Looking around, she could see that something was trying to move it out of the way.

As she watched, the last thing she expected to see here pushed his way into view. But he didn't look like the humans she knew. His skin was lighter in tone and his clothes looked like nothing she had ever seen before. When he saw her though, his eyes grew larger, before he pulled what seemed to be a red-hued sword from his back.

Twilight threw her hooves up, hoping to show she wasn't a threat. "Wait! I'm not a threat."

He blinked in surprise. "You. You can talk?"

Twilight huffed. "Of course I can talk. Why? Can't ponies here?"

"I don't even know what a pony is," he replied.

Twilight gulped but stored that little bit of information away for later. One look at his blade showed he knew how to use it. "Look. Can you please put that down? I think we got off on the wrong hoof here. I'm Twilight Sparkle."

Still looking fully convinced, the youth put his sword down nonetheless. "Tidus. Don't suppose you know where we are?"

Twilight shook her head, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry. I don't even know how I get here myself. Wherever here is."

Tidus did smile a bit at that. "That makes two of us then." Walking over to her, he gave the woodpile a look. "I don't suppose you have a way to get this started?"

Twilight smiled. Igniting her horn, she added a few more logs and lit them ablaze. Immediately the room began to warm up once more. Sitting down with a triumphant grin, she saw the look on Tidus's face. He seemed to know the magic in some way, but not like her own it seemed.

His next question proved it. "How did you do that?"

Twilight's grin grew. "Magic."

Tidus just shook his head in disbelief as he sat down next to her. "That wasn't like any magic I've ever seen before. But thanks. This place is freezing."

For a while, the two just sat there in silence, deep in their own thoughts. Twilight was still trying to digest all she now knew of this world. It wasn't much, but it was still enough to get her mind working.

Tidus meanwhile was trying to make heads or tails of his new companion. She was strange for sure, but the longer they sat, the more he began to think otherwise. He was a stranger in this world too. No thanks to Auron and Sin that is.

After a time he dozed off into a strange dream. Twilight watched him as he did. Shaking her head, she turned back to the fire and her own swirling thoughts. Eventually, she too fell asleep again.

Neither of them ever noticed the pair of eyes that watched them from an upper story balcony.

***

Sometime later, Twilight woke with a start. Looking around, she noticed the fire had gone out. Tidus wasn't looking at though, but something above them.

Before she could ask what was going on, he whispered. "We're not alone," and pointed upwards. Looking in the same direction, Twilight felt her stomach drop. Vaguely, the creature resembled a stick insect, but much larger. Details were lost with distance, but its eyes seemed to glow.

Before either of them had a chance to react, to began skittering around the balcony before launching itself directly at them. Just in time, they jumped out of the way as it landed between them and rose up in an obvious attack posture.

At this range, Twilight could see that it was definitely a predator. It radiated an aura of menace that few she had met ever had. Which also made reasoning with seemingly out of the question. With that thought, she took stock of what they had.

The good news was that they had it surrounded front and back. The bad news was that she didn't know if any of her spells would work on it. None of them were designed for combat, on top of a new world and she had no idea of how it's magic worked.

Levitation and teleportation were all that she could think of that might be able to do something as she ducked a swipe from one of its pincers. And that laser blast she had used during the failed Changeling Invasion of Canterlot.

Any other thoughts were put on hold as the thing attacked them in earnest now. Tidus managed to dodge most of the swipes while getting in a few blows of his own, but the thing just shrugged them off.

Twilight finally took aim and fired a spell blast at the back of its head. It got its attention at least as it turned on her, allowing Tidus time to land another blow. This went on for what felt like hours but was only maybe ten, fifteen minutes, the two alternating between Twilight's magic and Tidus's sword skills.

Eventually though, Twilight felt her magic begin to run low, and this thing was still not slowing down. "This isn't working," she yelled as she dodged another pincer swipe by barely an inch. "We need a new plan."

Before Tidus could respond, another set of doors was blown off their hinges. Looking behind them, Twilight watched as six figures entered the room, all of them heavily armed and pointing their weapons at the three of them.

One stepped forward, gesturing with her hand. Twilight didn't know what she meant, but she seemed willing to help. And they could use all the help they could at the moment.

"You're on how side? Cool," Tidus said with a grin before returning his attention to their bug problem. The newcomer nodded before taking something from her belt and tossed it at the creature. The resulting explosion rocked the room.

When the smoke cleared, the thing was still standing, but all could see it was on its last legs. Charging her horn, Twilight put all of her magic in one last shot and fired. This time it worked. The creature screeched in pain as it collapsed, finally dead, before breaking into several balls of light that quickly faded away.

Letting out a breath she hadn't known she had been holding, Twilight looked up in time to see Tidus grabbed and held at knifepoint by one of the figures.

"Fryd ec drec?" One said in a strange language.

"Y fiend! Eh rishy tekieca! Oac! Ed ec cu!" Another added.

"Fa gem ed?" The first asked.

"Fyed. Frydev ech rishy?" The who had helped them finally stepped in.

"Dra yna dra cysa eh tadyr," one replied.

"E vunpet ed! Fa pnehk ed fedr ic," their friend replied before she walked over to Tidus. Whispering something Twilight couldn't hear, she punched him in the stomach. He was out before he hit the ground.

Now Twilight was annoyed. "Hey!" She yelled as she ran over. She stopped dead in her tracks when the group turned their weapons on her.

They turned to what she assumed was their leader. "Fryd ypuid drec?" One asked.

By now, Twilight was shaking in her hooves, all that had happened to her finally coming back with a vengeance as she looked down their barrels. It must have shown too for their friend's gaze softened considerably before replying in perfect Equish.

"She comes too."

The others only nodded before gesturing for Twilight to follow them. She could only nod as she fell in line with them. Just what had she got herself into now?

***

Sometime later, Twilight found herself on the deck of some kind of ship. Tidus had been dumped next to her, still out cold. For the next long while, they were left alone. All she could do was just sit and admire the sea as it passed by. Her thoughts were still a jumble over everything, and the ship wasn't helping that. But she knew one thing, however.

Twilight Sparkle and the sea did not mix. Her stomach was doing flipflops all the time. Eventually, though, Tidus began to stir. The guards must have heard him for they turned and shoved him back down rather rudely.

"Ced iybedja!" One said.

"Hey, that hurts!" Tidus grumbled.

"Hu sujhek rayn?" The other asked.

Tidus put up his hands. "Whoa... okay."

Just as Twilight was about to step in, a door opened behind the guards and out stepped two figures. One she knew from earlier, but the other was new. But by the way the other bowed to him, he was most likely their leader.

"Caynir res!" He commanded as they came before them. Both guards pulled Tidus up, and Twilight stood on her own. The man began to make an odd series of gestures with his hands, one's Twilight or Tidus didn't understand.

"Right, whatever," Tidus said, summing it all up for both of them.

"Tu oui hud cybayg," the man replied with obvious confusion before pulling out a necklace and repeating the gestures.

"I said I don't understand," Tidus shot back.

"Ehcumala!" One of the guards replied as he pointed his weapon at Tidus's chest.

Their friend stepped in at this point. "Fyed!" She commanded before she turned to the two of them. "He said you guys can stay if you make yourselves useful."

Tidus gave her a shocked look. "You, you understand us?" One of the guards hit him in the back of the head. "Alright, I'll work!"

Twilight took a few seconds longer to decide. "Me too."

That seemed to calm them down as the girls explained exactly what they were looking for. "We found some ancient ruins right beneath us. It's not active now, but there should still be some power left. We're gonna go down there and activate it... and then we should be able to salvage the big prize!"

Twilight and Tidus could only murmur in agreement. Twilight though was interested for sure. Ancient or not, any chance to study more of this world was something she wouldn't pass up.

'Okay, let's get to work!" The girl exclaimed with an enthusiasm that reminded Twilight of Pinkie Pie.

Tidus smiled. "Roger!" And ran over to the side of the ship. Giving a thumbs up, he jumped in while everyone gave him a deadpan look.

The girl turned back to Twilight. "You can swim, right?"

Twilight nodded as she ignited her horn and cast a Water Breathing Spell on herself before she joined her companion in jumping after Tidus. Together they began the long swim down to the ruins. Even from this distance, Twilight could see that they had been down here for a long time. Centuries for sure. Up close, she could see whole sections were missing.

Swimming in through one such hole, they found their way blocked by some kind of door. Not for long as Tidus swam up and began pounding on what looked like the control panel. It soon opened into a circular chamber with another corridor on the other side.

This one had no blockage as they swam through it. In the center of the next room was what looked like some kind of generator that the girl pointed to. Seeing this as her chance to prove she could pull her weight, Twilight shot a bolt of electricity into it. Sure enough, after a few shakes, lights began to wink on all over the structure.

Getting a nod of approval from the girl, the trio returned the way they came. Twilight was just beginning to wonder what was next when something massive entered the room with them.

Up close it looked like a giant squid or octopus. It too had that same glow in its eyes that Twilight had seen in the stick creature, showing it wasn't natural in some way, and it was also blocking the exit.

This one had Twilight worried. She had no idea how effective her spells would be underwater for she had never tested it. The one bit of good news at least, as she dodged a tentacle, was that they had it outnumbered three to one.

Figuring they were getting nowhere like this, she charged her horn and fired. The beam hit it dead center but did no more than annoy the creature it seemed. Tidus followed this up with a sword slash and the girl with an explosive. Both also seemed to have no effect. It did cause the thing to swim to the other side of the room though.

While this did give them so much needed breathing space, Twilight didn't think it would be that easy. Sure enough, a moment later the thing charged back at them. None were hit, but all were sent spinning wildly.

This gave it time to launch another series of tentacle attacks. This time on hit Twilight dead center in her chest and sent her crashing against the wall behind her. How she wasn't coughing up blood she didn't know, but that had taken the wind right out of her.

The girl saw this and winced before looking through her belt and tossing a capsule of some kind of liquid to Twilight, motioning that she should drink it. Twilight took it as her companion threw another bomb at the squid. It wasn't the most pleasant thing she had ever drunk, but the effect was amazing. She hadn't felt this good in a long time and all her pain was gone as well.

Mad now, Twilight fired another beam at the creature when there was an opening. This time she saw that they were indeed hurting it, as it again retreated to the other side of the room. Figuring it was better than nothing, Tidus motioned a pincer movement with his hands. Both girls nodded as he swam around to the front while they swam around behind it, confusing the creature.

A few more minutes, and the thing again dissolved into the same light show as the other creature had. Twilight finally relaxed. That had been as much work as her fight against Starlight had been. Hopefully, they wouldn't have to do it again anytime soon.

Neither of her companions was hurt that badly, and another round of the same drink had them all back to normal again. Swimming out a nearby hole in the wall, a series of lights began to activate all along the structure, giving some much-needed brightness to the underwater world.

Swimming down with the others, Twilight finally saw what they had presumably been after. From up here, it looked like an airship. But not like any Twilight had ever seen in Equestria. But she chalked that up to this being a completely different world.

***

When they returned to the ship again a while later, there was an exciting buzz to everyone. Some had already gotten back by the time Tidus and Twilight did.

"Fa vuiht dra airship!" One said.

"Dra naluntic fana nejrd!" Another said as Tidus and Twilight followed them to the door.

"Huf, ruf du tymyk ed ib?" The first said again as the door opened. As it did, one turned and pushed Tidus back out.

"Oui, uidecta!"

"Hey!" He replied with an annoyed tone as the door began to close. "Hey we helped out didn't we?"

No one seemed to care as the door closed, locking them both out.

***

Again, the two of them lay on the deck not really doing anything. Twilight tried to admire the night sky passing by. It was a beautiful sight for sure, but nothing was the same here. The stars, the constellations, everything. It just didn't have the same effect as Equestria.

"Uhh... hungry," Tidus grumbled again as Twilight shot him an annoyed look. It was driving her nuts having to listen to it over and over again. She was hungry too, but you didn't hear her complaining about now did you?

She was just about to tell as much when the door opened again and the girl from before returned, carrying what looked like a tray of food. She gave Tidus a good kick to get his attention.

When he did see it, his eyes lit up. "Whoa! Right on!" He said before digging in. Pretty soon though he began to choke on it. Luckily the girl had brought a water jug, one he happily accepted with a contented sigh.

"It's cause you eat to fast," she said, kneeling down next to them. Tidus nodded, stood, and walked around a bit while stretching before he turned back to her.

"Hello there. What is your name?" He asked.

The girl gave him a look. "Rikku."

"Whoa, you really do understand me!" He replied before doing a little victory dance and chuckling. He was a lot like Rainbow Dash Twilight thought with an eye roll.

"Why didn't you say so earlier?" She asked.

"I didn't get a chance to. Everyone thought oui were a fiend."

"Uh "We?" Tidus asked.

"Oh. Oui means you," Rikku replied.

That didn't clear much up, but it was a start. "Who are you guys anyway?" Twilight asked.

"We're Al Bhed, can't you tell?" Rikku asked, before giving them a hard look. "Wait. You're not Al Bhed haters are you?"

"I don't even know what an Al Bhed is," Tidus replied, and Twilight couldn't agree more. She knew of different ethnicities from her time at Canterlot High. Maybe this was the same thing?

"We're you from?" Rikku asked.

"Zanarkand. I'm a Blitzball player. Star player for the Zanarkand Abes," Tidus replied with obvious pride.

Rikku though looked confused. "Did you, hit your head or something?"

Tidus gave her an annoyed look. "Um you guys hit me."

Rikku had the sense at least to look sheepish at that. "Oh right. Do you remember anything before that?"

So Tidus told them his life story up till then. Life in Zanarkand, Blitzball, and an attack by something called Sin. He ended by saying how he and a friend had been engulfed by a light before waking up outside of where Twilight had entered the world.

Partway through though, Rikku had gained a solemn expression, one that Tidus saw as soon as he finished. "Did I, say something funny?"

"You were near Sin," Rikku replied with obvious shock. This set off all kinds of alarm bells in Twilight's head. Something was up. Tidus nodded. "Don't worry, you'll be better in no time. They say your head gets funny when Sin is near. Maybe you had some kind of dream?"

Tidus was lost. "You mean I'm sick?"

Rikku nodded. "Because of Sin's toxin, yeah."

"You sure?" He asked.

Rikku nodded. "Yeah. There is no Zanarkand anymore. Sin destroyed it a thousand years ago. So no one plays Blitzball there."

Tidus was visibly shocked. "Wha, what do you mean a thousand years ago? But I saw Sin attack Zanarkand! You're saying that happened a thousand years ago? No way!"

***

No one said anything for a time after that. Rikku looked thoughtful whole Tidus was more annoyed than could remember being for some time now.

Twilight though was deep in thought. Something about this didn't feel right. She didn't think either was lying, but something wasn't adding up. Whatever it was, she felt this, Sin, had something more to it.

"You said, you play Bliztball?" Rikku asked suddenly. Tidus nodded. "You know, you should go to Luca. Someone might know who you are, or you find someone you recognize."

Tidus didn't look convinced. "Luca?"

Rikku groaned in exasperation before tapping him on the shoulder after a moment. "Okay. Leave it to me. I'll get you to Luca promise!" Tidus gave a surprised look. "You'd rather stay here?" He shook his head. "Okay. I'll go tell the others. Wait right here."

As she left though, she paused and turned back at the door. "Oh, and one thing. Don't tell anyone you're from Zanarkand okay? Yevon says it's a holy place. You might upset someone."

Both he and Twilight nodded as she left. For a time, neither spoke, both trying to digest all they had been told. Twilight was worried about what the reaction to her would be. Tidus would fit in fine while she stuck out like a sore hoof.

And assuming this, Yevon, was as powerful as Rikku made it sound, she didn't know what that would mean for her. She hoped that they could be reasonable.

Tidus though looked even more annoyed now about something. "No way!" He finally grumbled as he kicked something. Whatever it was, it seemed to rock the whole ship and sent them both falling to the deck with a thud. Off in the distance, something blasted out of the water as two guards came out on deck as whatever the spout had been came rushing toward the ship.

"Sin!" One shouted.

"Sin ec lusa!" The other replied.

"Ihtan ic! Ihtan ic!"

Whatever it was, it sent a wave of water over the deck. Twilight had no time to react as she washed overboard. The last thing she saw before everything went black was Tidus jumping in after her.

And Twilight Sparkle knew no more.

Author's Note:

Okay, I admit that describing anything to new people is not my strong suit. Tidus and Rikku are a good example of that. The rest of the gang will probably be the same.

And yes I did go with Tidus's default name. When I play Final Fantasy X, I never change the names if given the chance to. I don't see the point.

That will change dialogue going forward because everyone will know his name now. Instead of going nameless every time someone brings him up.