• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 1,104 Views, 36 Comments

The Severed Dimension - StarPrism



Three heroes ripped from their own reality to be imprisoned in... Equestria?

  • ...
2
 36
 1,104

Chapter 13 - Time for a Rest

**Author's note**

Hi everyone! Star Prism here! Sorry for the wait. Work and school are keeping me from writing as much as I'd want to. This chapter is shorter and to the point, I hope no one minds too much. Chapter 14 will have plenty of meat, don't you worry. Thank you for reading, and Enjoy!

Chapter 13: Time for a Rest
Glacious & Regal

I trotted towards the forest. I cursed to myself when it began to rain. I looked down as I continued. The dirt road was flat and free of obstacles, and the rain was getting in my eye. I was always sensitive with things getting in my eyes, and my spectacles getting wet was also a pet peeve for me.

I’ve been with those two for almost six years now, and as always it is always me who takes responsibility of their somewhat incompetent actions. I thought. I looked up a little to see a large tree off the road a little ways. The tree seemed to be a type of willow tree, and the ground underneath was pretty much completely dry. I decided to head over to the tree and wait out the rain, as the downpour began to pick up. I cursed loudly after nearly falling face first on the ground upon stepping in a large puddle. Finally making it to the willow-like tree, I sat down and began to think.

This downpour… I want to ask how they determine the weather here. How do they measure how much rain they need for the week? Is it wise for me to be this curious about this strange land? We are on a mission, but I can’t help but admire this peaceful utopic place. Every creature we’ve encountered have showed very little self-interest. I remembered a train conductor telling us about pony culture, about the different types of ponies and how the only conflict between ponies were before the founding of this land, Equestria. This is the kind of peace humans strive for, but we always let petty things get in the way, like pride, self-interest, or religion.

I blinked. I thought about my own past. I had no real friends, no life other than serving Xion and his father, the soon-to-be-Emperor Lyon Windsbane, simply because he chose to spare my life and use my intelligence to aid in his own conquest. I was foster born, so I had no family to relate to or get close with. I was alone, and here I am in a new world with a new body, somewhere to start new. To start a new life? Where would I start? Now that I’m in this place, do I really owe my loyalties to this incompetent prince? We left Xinon and Durandel behind, simply by… My thoughts trailed off as I heard galloping hooves coming from the road. I looked to see a large red stallion and a large dog-like creature charging after him on all fours. Someone in need of help? Here’s my chance, I’ll help out ponies in need with my magic! Without any more thinking, I got up and galloped after them.

I soon realized I was much slower than both of them, which caused me to mentally slap my forehead with an imaginary palm; I am still not used to being a pony, and my physique was never the athletic type anyway. I focused my reserves of mana into my horn as I learned was the only way to cast spells, and I vanished and reappeared a good 55 paces in front of them. I proceeded to freeze the road around the large stallion, making sure to leave an unfrozen path in front of him, while completely solidifying the large creature pursuing him in a huge block of ice. I saw the stallion stopped galloping and looked from the frozen creature then to me.

“Don’t worry, sir, I saved you from that creature chasing you! It’s something called ‘Magic’ and that was a freezing spell see?” I said as he trotted towards me.

“Please unfreeze him. He’s a good diamond dog, and I was leadin’ him outta town before ponies wrongfully accuse him of harming the ponies inside of the stage near town hall…” He said, with a strong southern accent.

“Oh, I apologize, I didn’t know.” I said, and proceeded to unfreeze the diamond dog. The ice around it turned to water and slid off his body.

“Thank you. We are in a hurry to get to the Everfree Forest, so if you excuse us. Rush, we can continue.” The stallion said.

“Ehh, thank you, Big Mac. We are sorry for the confusion yet again. Our kind is usually shunned by ponies and we understand why.” The diamond dog, Rush, said.

“I’m sorry. I was heading to the forest as well, do you mind if I tag along with you two?” I said, feeling a little judgmental towards the diamond dog. Figures he wasn’t attacking him. I can probably go for a sympathy vote for trying to make up for the mistake I made.

“The forest is full of dangerous monsters, we are not sure if we can protect both of you.” Rush said, looking worried.

“It shouldn’t be a problem, besides, he could’ve easily taken ya’ll out Rush. With strong magic like that, we can probably fight off a dragon with our combined strength.” The stallion, Big Mac, said.

They don’t seem to alienate magic as I thought they would. Interesting… it seems magic does exist here after all. But why can’t I feel any mana besides my own reserves? This is strange.

Rush began to walk as we started into a brisk trot as Big Mac asked “What’s yer name stranger?"

“I am Glacious, nice to meet you, Big Mac and Rush.” I said.

“Methinks you have very good listening skills for a pony. We hadn’t introduced ourselves yet you heard our names in context of our conversation with Big Mac.” Rush observed.

“I agree. Where ya’ll from, Glacious?” Big Mac asked.

“A far away land called Xinon. I have a few… friends… around here. One of them got lost in the Everfree Forest, and I am looking for him.” I said, trying to keep up with Big Mac’s long strides.

“Another foreigner? Ya’ll are popping out of the woodwork aren’t ya? Are ya also friends with Edel and Lorane?”

“Yes, I’ve been looking for them.” I said casually. Interesting… So they are here. This might prove to lead to information I can use to my advantage. I thought before continuing “Are they in Ponyville?”

“Eeyup. We just left them, they were chasing down a rouge prince. Good riddance, I can’t deal with royalty without offending somepony with my awkward… err, I shouldn’t be talkin’ ya ear off about my problems.”

“Not a problem.” I said, “Where are they staying?”

“The library with Twilight Sparkle last I checked.”

“Thanks for the info. I need to find my other friend now…” I trailed off as we got to the tree line of the Everfree Forest. It looked very forbidding, probably because it was getting dark and the wind and rain weren’t making it any more welcoming.

“Ya’ll alright? Let’s go find your friend!” Big Mac said as I had stopped.

“We smell fear from Glacious. We don’t think he’s up to entering the forest.” Rush said.

“No, I’m fine. Let’s go.” I said.


I shuddered as I walked through the strange portal. I wasn’t expecting that feeling, as it was my first time physically going through one. I was in the library’s kitchen area with Lorane and Twilight, who was rummaging through a drawer full of papers and small books. Edel shortly appeared behind me.

“Daring is missing!” He said suddenly.

It hit me. I had forgotten that Kael had a strong feeling that one of the girls were not who they claimed. It must have been Daring after all. I thought.

“What? When did she disappear?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know, I just noticed right before I entered the portal. I think we should look for her.” Edel said with urgency.

“Why would she just leave?” Twilight questioned.

“I thought something was strange. She smelled… wrong,” Edel started, before glancing at Lorane and adding, “Her scent was different when she was carrying me around the town square earlier.”

“What do you mean? What does her scent have to do with her missing?” Lorane asked.

“Because of what Kael said,” I answered before Edel, “he mentioned one of you were not who you said you were.”

“What? Me and Daring?”

“Yes, Lorane,” I said, “Something happened to Daring Do, we need to find her.”

“What do you mean something happened to Daring Do?” A smooth and deep voice asked from the entrance of the kitchen. I turned to see a young pegasus with a sky-blue coat, and a dark, navy shade of blue mane that was slicked back. Remembering what Lorane told me about the marks on a pony’s flank, I noticed his cutie mark, or emblem as the males seemed to call it, depicted a bunch of clouds meshed together with wings outstretched on either side of the mark. Mounted on his back was a saddlebag on his right side, and what looked like a sheathed sword on his left side instead of a second saddlebag.

“Can I help you? When did you let yourself into the Library?” Twilight asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I let him in, Twilight. Don’t worry he’s a friend of Daring Do’s,” Spike said as he walked into the kitchen from behind the blue pegasus, “I saw him when I was out earlier, he said he was looking for Daring Do, so I brought him back here.”

“Oh. Well then, yes, it seems Daring Do has disappeared, mister…?” Twilight started.

“I’m sorry. My name is Strato Sky, please tell me what happened to my teacher.” He said.

“We don’t know,” Edel said, “one second she was with us under the stadium, and the next thing I knew, she was gone. I hesitated to take in the surroundings of the room before I walked through the portal – ”

“Portal?” Strato Sky said, raising an eyebrow.

“Should we fill him in?” Lorane asked.

Twilight nodded and began to explain about the modified Scrying spell being a portal that covers a large distance instantaneously. I looked at Edel who was also staring at me. “Are you close to her?” I asked.

“No, well, okay a little. We had a moment in the labyrinth before you saved us from that creature, but that was it. I’m worried about her, even though she’s a skilled adventurer. This place is affecting me, Regal, I feel more compassionate and… trusting. The thought of these ponies being hurt or in danger really agitates and enrages me. I mean, these ponies; they aren’t animals, Regal, they’re people. People!” Edel cried at the last sentence, interrupting Twilight’s explanation, and signaling Lorane to trot over to us. Edel’s eyes began to turn watery. Twilight seemed to have noticed this, and proceeded into the other wing of the library with Strato and Spike, to finish the explanation.

“Edel, I understand.” I started, thinking back on the past. I remembered a village we were passing through, a night where Edel and Lorane both drank too much, and to pass time I helped a girl and her family through a terrible ordeal involving the village mob. I never wanted to see the girl hurt, and from that day after I fought to save them, I felt the same to every civilian we passed from then on. “You’re going through a change, much for the better.”

Lorane reached a hoof to Edel’s cheek and turned his head towards hers. After whispering something, the two locked lips. I saw it coming, and held in a chuckle. The two started to talk, and I moved towards the other wing, where Twilight was still talking to Strato. Upon me entering the room, Twilight and Strato looked at me. “Is he okay?” Twilight asked.

“He’ll be fine. What do you think we should do?” I asked. I knew I could trust her input; after all she always had a thirst for knowledge and a knack for thinking ahead. Come on, surprise me, give me an answer to sink my teeth into. I blinked. What did I just think?

“I think we should rest. I need to take all of you to see Princess Celestia, first thing tomorrow morning, and I’d be banished if you all were not in peak condition.” She replied adamantly.

“In the meantime, I will look for Daring Do. I will meet up with you guys later then, since it appears my teacher is involved in this, I am too by extension.” Strato Sky said, and turned to leave the Library.

“Right, and what about Trixie? Isn’t she coming here tonight?” I found myself asking.

“If she does, I’ll tell her what is going on. She seems like a changed mare now since I last saw her. Go and get some sleep, Regal.”

“Good night, Twilight Sparkle.” I said with a smile. I trotted inside the kitchen to see Edel and Lorane asleep, snuggled together on a small quilt. I almost let out a noise, the sight was humorous as well as adorable. Spike walked in, noticing the two, and fetched a blanked to cover them.

“You can sleep in the guest bed. I’m sure Twilight is preparing one now.” Spike said, as he left the kitchen.

So the journey of the elements starts tomorrow. Trixie will be here soon, and I can finally learn why she exhibits our mana. I yawned. For now, I’ll just get some sleep. The kick that mortal dealt to me really hurt, and I need to be careful if I’m to meet the other omnipotent princess of this land.


End of Chapter 13