• Published 6th Mar 2020
  • 1,368 Views, 32 Comments

ULTRA LIVE! Of Demons and Aliens - Cojo5536



Sunset and Ultraman Ginga's adventures continue as they face of against Fall, Alien Baltan, and Equestria's entire rogues gallery.

  • ...
4
 32
 1,368

To Be Moral

At Fall’s lair, two men lounged around a low-quality television, long since having stopped watching in favor of sleeping. One was white-skinned with matching white hair and wore a black tank top and black sweatpants. This man was the infamous Equestrian tyrant: the Storm King.

However, if one were to look upon him now, they would see very little that could be called “kingly”. Ever since arriving in the human world, all ambition seemed to have drained out of him and his body showed it. The formerly fit torso and arms that he once possessed had begun sagging from disuse. Copious amounts of cheap beer had wreaked havoc on his waistline and his beard had grown long and unkempt, and various stains marked his clothes. Indeed, he had completely let himself go in this world, a far cry from the feared monster of Equestria.

Someone was about to reawaken the monster.

The Staff of Sacanas suddenly landed on Storm King’s chest awakening him with a start.

“Hey, what the fu-!” He was cut off by a Spark Doll and Dark Dummy Spark also landing in his lap.

“Get up, you’re on. I’ve attached your geode to the Staff of Sacanas to give you enough power to affect the weather,” Fall explained. “Baltan will take you to the highest point in Canterlot.
Once you’re there, you’re going to charge up the shower out there into the single biggest storm in this city’s history. And you better not let me down lard-ass or you may find your life getting very short. Dismissed.”

“Now just wait a mo-!” Storm King never got a chance to finish what he was saying as Baltan grabbed him and teleported away.

A groan from the couch announced the other man in the room joining the conversation, “Do you think he can do it?”

This man had short jet black hair gelled into a slicked-back business style. It used to be a mullet style but Fall had forced him to get rid of it due to “making him stand out and old”, though she had, begrudgingly, allowed him to keep the sideburns. His skin was grey and, unlike Storm King, he actually made an attempt to maintain a degree of fitness as shown by his shirtless chest, though he still insisted on wearing his kingly red and white cape. This was the, until recently, late tyrant of the Crystal Empire: King Sombra.

"No clue. He had motivation and a new world to conquer, yet when he discovered all the distractions the humans had, he allowed himself to slip off the wagon,” Fall replied.

“Perhaps then it would have been more prudent to collect us only after you were fully prepared?”

Heat began radiating from Fall’s hair, “Careful Sombra. My kind has been around long before you were born, and I intend to be around long after. And if I have to remove you from the picture to make that happen, I will.”

“Temper, temper, Fall. I wouldn’t dare act against you while you have that amulet and alien hanging off of you,” Sombra placated.

“Good,” Fall hissed then stormed out of the room.

Sombra, however, had been studying her throughout their brief exchange, ‘So, you’re in a hurry. Interesting. What could be so dire that you couldn’t wait to collect us?

*////*

Tempest remembered the day when her whole life took a turn. The day she lost her horn. It had started like any other, just her and a few little fillies playing with a ball. So then why? Why was it on that day did that damn ball end up in an Ursa Minor’s cave? Why was she dumb enough to volunteer herself to go fetch it? And why, of all possible outcomes, did it leave her with her wretched existence without her horn?

The sound of voices finally forced Tempest Shadow out of her unconscious state. Opening her eyes, she found herself not in the city but on a bed in an apartment of some kind. As she pushed herself upright, Tempest began taking note of her surroundings. It was a really nice apartment. Going by the railings that were wrapped with what appeared to be Hearthswarming lights, she appeared to be on a balcony-like second floor.

Picking herself up from the bed, Tempest made her way over to the railing to find that she could see the entire living room. She also saw that there was an awful lot of pink, though that might be due to the pink girl currently in her face. Wait...

“There’s the party girl!” The girl shrieked directly into Tempest’s face.

Now Tempest would never scream in fear, but she did sharply inhale and stumble back onto the bed.

“Damn it Pinkie, she can’t have a good time if she’s dead!” A voice coming up the stairs yelled, revealing itself to be Sunset Shimmer.

"Where have you taken me?" Tempest kept her guard up. These girls were enemies, after all. At least according to Fall.

“Welcome to my humble little abode,” Sunset answered.

"Am I your prisoner now?"

"No, silly! You're our special guest!" Pinkie dismissed.

“Your… Guest?” Tempest asked completely bewildered.

“Yeah! Now come on, everyone’s waiting for you!”

Tempest could only stammer as the girl, apparently named Pinkie, pulled her towards the stairs. Upon reaching the first step, she noticed that the living area below was absolutely packed with people that, upon seeing her began applauding her. Tempest burst into a furious blush from the attention these strangers were giving her and went ramrod stiff as she was guided down to the waiting girls.

Tempest expected some kind of interrogation,

“Darling, it is such a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” a beautiful indigo haired, white-skinned teen girl greeted as Tempest reached the group. The girl then reached her hand out to Tempest who retreated away from it, “Come now, don’t be a stranger. This party is for you after all.”

“Me? Party?” Tempest asked.

“Damn right!” The blue-skinned, rainbow-haired girl cheered.

“Um girls, perhaps we should introduce ourselves first so we don’t overwhelm her?” A yellow-skinned girl softly asked.

“Oh, yes! Where are my manners? Ahem, my name is Rarity Belle. I’m one of the designers at the Canterlot Carousel,” the white girl now identified as Rarity said.

“You say that as if it’s supposed to mean something to me,” Tempest awkwardly said, feeling very uncomfortable in her current situation.

Rarity sighed, “No, I suppose it wouldn’t. Anyhow, you’ve already met Sunset and Pinkie Pie.”

“That’s me!” Pinkie chirped with a giggle.

“As for the others… Actually, why don’t I let them introduce themselves?” Rarity said as she led Tempest further into the group.

Seemingly taking this as her cue a muscular orange-skinned girl with blonde hair grabbed Tempest’s hand and viciously shook it, “Well howdy! Name’s Applejack. Ah hope we become real good friends.”

A cyan-skinned girl with rainbow hair quickly threw in with a shit-eating grin, “Rainbow Dash, and I hope we become even better friends!”

As Applejack and Rainbow began getting into a bizarre argument, the adorable yellow-skinned girl softly said, “I’m Fluttershy. I hope you have fun.”

Now an entirely green girl approached her, “Hello, my name’s Wallflower Blush, though I guess I’m not much of a wallflower now am I?”

“Indeed you’re not, and we love you for it. As forrr,” a white-haired girl began before noticing Sunset’s glare, “I am the Great and Totally Not A Pyromaniac Trixie.”

A Spark Doll suddenly flew into Tempest’s vision, “And I am Taro! Ultraman Taro!”

“You can talk?’ Tempest asked.

The bravado that the little Ultra had shown instantly deflated as he floated off to sulk.

“Hey, where’s Twilight?” Sunset asked.

“She just went to the bathroom “ Pinkie answered, “She’ll be out in a moment.”

As if her very name was able to summon her, the faint sound of a toilet flushing and a door opening announced the appearance of the last member of Sunset’s group. Once Tempest could actually see her, her eyes widened and she froze with a slight tremor. While Sunset did pick up on this, she opted to not press her on the subject in the interest of maintaining the friendly atmosphere.

“Twilight, your hands,” Sunset warned.

“What? Oh!” The purple girl turned back into the bathroom followed by the sound of the sink running before reemerging. “Sorry. Oh, you’re awake. I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle, I’m from Equestria like you.”

Tempest let out a relieved sigh for some reason but didn’t allow the tension to leave her shoulders. After all, she was in the spider’s web at this very moment.

"Is this some kind of strange interrogation technique? You have me drop my guard and I just say whatever you want?” Tempest asked, still unsure what to make of this situation.

“Nope!” Pinkie chirped, “Well, I mean, we wouldn’t be opposed to some oversharing, but that’s not what we’re here for.”

“Yeah!” Rainbow cheered, “We’re here to show ya a fun time.”

“All you have to do is let us,” Twilight finished.

Tempest continued to fidget. These people were trying so damn hard to make her feel welcome and here she was making it harder on them to do so. It may have just been the Equestrian in her currently human body, but the thought of all that effort going to waste put a horrible, gnawing sensation in the pit of her stomach that ground away at her resolve.

“I suppose, I can try,” Tempest finally relented to the uproarious cheering of the room.

*////*

“Make a big storm she says. Make it the biggest the city has ever had she says. But does she ask if I know how? No. Now I’m on this big ass tower, in the freezing fricken’ rain, trying to make a glorified magic twig do a thing.”

Storm King was not pleased. Months of lethargy had eroded his skill with the Staff of Sacanas to the point that he struggled to even create so much as a spark from it.

“Come on, do something!” He fumed, “I did not take all those lands in Equestria just to lose to a stick!”

With growing frustration Storm King began violently shaking his staff which began sparking intermittently.

“Grrraaaahhhh! Start damn you!” He said with a mighty cry and swung the Staff of Sacanas into the antenna that crowned the skyscraper.

The moment the staff came into contact with the metal, magical electricity lept from it into the antenna and arced throughout the structure. With a sound akin to a tesla coil firing off, the energy coalesced into a ball at the top of the antenna.

“Wha-?” Storm King began before the ball of lightning shot off into the clouds with a sharp crack.

For a moment it seemed that this unintentional spell had done nothing but then the clouds began to flash with lightning and the wind started picking up speed.

“Well look at that. Who says getting angry never solved anything,” Storm said with a shit-eating grin before several cracks of thunder forced him to seek shelter.

*////*

Since Tempest had agreed to the slumber party, the Gang had wasted no time bringing up the party to full speed. However, despite this, Tempest had spent most of her time hiding away in a corner, and only occasionally joining in on whatever conversation was happening at any given time.

From her position watching Applejack and Rainbow compete in the fighting game Super Backstreet Fighter IV, Sunset finally had enough and approached Tempest.

“Hey, you okay?” Sunset asked.

Tempest flinched as if she had been suddenly woken up from a nap, “What? Y-yeah. Why-why would you think I wasn’t?”

“Because you’re sitting here in the corner avoiding everyone?” Sunset said plainly.

Tempest’s face fell, “I’m that obvious huh?”

Sunset sucked in a breath, “Yeah.”

“Ugh, I’m sorry. I know you all tried so hard to make me feel welcome, and here I am, ruining the mood,” Tempest said with a sigh.

“Well I wouldn’t say that you’re bringing the mood down, but it doesn’t really feel like you’re putting forth much of an effort to involve yourself in it.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. Everyone has their own pace after all. I just wish you would insert yourself more freely.”

“Okay, I’ll try.”

While Tempest said that, Sunset wasn’t convinced that she would actually take the suggestion to heart, so she changed up her approach.

"So, what is my evil twin planning?" Sunset asked.

"I'll answer your questions if you answer mine," Tempest replied.

"Sounds fair," Sunset shrugged.

"How did you become chosen?"

"To be Ginga?"

"Fall described you as someone who did terrible things for the sake of ambition."

Sunset became uncomfortable at that particular statement. It wasn’t that Fall was wrong strictly speaking, but… “I… I don’t know.”

By this point, the rest of the apartment had taken an interest in Sunset and Tempest’s conversation.

“What!?” Rainbow exclaimed, “How could you not know if you were a bad guy?”

“I wasn’t saying I wasn’t Rainbow,” Sunset said placatingly, “Everything up to Princess Celestia catching me in the restricted section of the Royal Archives? I know for a fact that was all me. I thought that everything leading up to the Fall Formal was also me, but now? That I know Fall was there?”

“You’re wondering how much of it was you and how much of it was just Fall pulling your strings,” Twilight concluded.

“Hm, yes. That would give a girl a bit of a complex,” Rarity conceded.

“Yeah, didn’t think of it like that, sorry,” Rainbow winced.

“It’s okay, you didn’t know,” Sunset said.

Tempest cleared her throat, “While that’s all interesting stuff, it doesn’t answer my actual question. Why did Ginga choose you to wield him, even though he had so many better options native to this world?”

Sunset scratched her head, “I still don’t know, I think he wants me to figure that out naturally rather than just telling me. Maybe it’s because he saw something in me.”

“What though? What was so special about you that he couldn’t find among the native humans?”

“If I knew that, don’t you think I would’ve told you. Now your turn, tell us what Fall’s up to.”

“Very well. Fall’s plan is… that I can’t tell you.”

“WHAT!? COME ON!” Rainbow shrieked in frustration.

“Yeah! That meanie pants can’t touch you here,” Pinkie said.

“It’s not her that I’m keeping quiet over, it’s…” Tempest’s eyes quickly darted around the apartment.

“Ah. Well even then you should still be safe here,” Sunset attempted.

“Seeing as how he was capable of telekinetically grabbing my heart and preventing it from beating for the longest minute of my life. And knows what we’re doing at all times, like when he nearly killed Storm King for attempting to escape, I would rather not risk saying anything that would draw his wrath,” Tempest replied.

The Gang was in shock. To think that Dark Lugiel was that paranoid about his secrets that he would kill for them? It suddenly put the whole incident with the Aliens Icarus and Metron in perspective. Lugiel didn’t care if they were exposed, to him they were expendable. He only cared if it was his plans on the line and if Tempest started oversharing while talking about Fall...

Well, they would rather not be responsible for someone dying today.

“Well, what about you then?” Pinkie asked.

“Huh?”

“Well if telling us about Fall is too big an order, just tell us about yourself,” Pinkie said to Tempest.

As Tempest began stammering the rest of the Gang began joining in.

“An excellent idea Pinkie Pie,” Taro praised.

“I’m not sure I’m comfortable with this,” Tempest attempted, but the storm had begun and could not be stopped.

“What is there to be uncomfortable about, Darling? We’re just some girls and Taro, trying to learn about a new friend,” Rarity tittered.

“So what, I’m not entitled to have my secrets?”

“Shucks, girl, we’re all family here. You don’t got to hide anythin’ from us,” Applejack said, pointedly ignoring a cough from Sunset.

“I’m not your family,” Tempest’s hissed, her patience starting to strain.

“That’s just Applejack, don’t take her so seriously,” Rainbow handwaved.

“Yeah, what she said!” Trixie said. "But AJ has a point. Friends are like family."

"'Friends are like family'? Are you serious?" Tempest snapped. "Let me tell you about my friends! Glitter Drops and Spring Rain were my best friends! We did everything together! Then one day they just turned their backs on me! And why? Because my horn broke! They did not want to be associated with a cripple since it would look bad for them! If friends are like family, then they were a terrible one!"

Sunset’s eyes widened, “Wait, wait, wait! I know of those ponies! They were at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns! I had classes with them!”

“Tisch, I knew it. They forgot all about me,” Tempest scoffed.

“Tempest, they dropped out!”

Tempest’s eyes widened, “What?”

“They dropped out partway through the school year.”

“LIAR!”

“It’s true! It was like, one day everything was normal, then our teacher just comes out and says that we’re losing two classmates. My bratty ass of course didn’t understand how they could do that at the time, but I think they didn’t want to make you feel worse than you already did.”

“That’s not true! If it was, they would have spoken to me before they left.”

“What could they say!? Tell me, Tempest, what they could possibly say to make your situation better!?” Sunset was beginning to lose patience with Tempest’s self-loathing.

Tempest stammered for a moment before settling on the worst answer she could have given, “Well maybe Glitter should’ve gotten her own ball out of that ursa minor’s cave!”

“So you would rather have let one of your friends go into that cave and lose their horn instead, or worse?” Sunset asked.

CRACK!!!

Tempest’s mind shattered. Every excuse she made, every horrid deed she committed, left utterly pointless.

CRACK!!!

Her foalhood friends left heartbroken and wondering where she had gone.

CRACK!!!

And none of it would ever have happened if she hadn’t got hung up on her damn horn.

“Glitter, I’m so sorry,” Tempest whimpered then covered her face as she began sobbing.

“I… I think we broke her,” Pinkie said sadly.

CRACK!!!

“Okay, what the hell is up with the lightning!?” Rainbow snarled.

“It’s not just the lightning. The storm itself is gaining strength too quickly,” Sunset said.

“You mean-?” Twilight started.

“It has to be magically charged,” Sunset concluded.

Just as Sunset said that every phone in the apartment began blaring a hurricane alert.

“Why now?” Fluttershy moaned, “Can’t we just have a moment to comfort the crying girl?”

“Afraid not,” Sunset said then kneeled in front of Tempest, “Tempest?” Tempest didn’t respond so Sunset placed her hands on the sides of her face, “Tempest listen to me. I know that you’re going through a crisis right now, but I need your help now. Do you know of anyone who can magically charge a storm?” Tempest stammered and gasped through her tears, still feeling terrible, “Tempest, breathe! If I don’t figure out how to stop this storm a lot of people are going to get hurt or worse.”

That seemed to finally break through to Tempest as she closed her eyes and focused on her breathing. When she opened her eyes she calmly said, “Storm King. That lying yeti bastard was obsessed with storms, even claimed, ‘I’m a storm that is a king.’ If anyone was going to make a superstorm, it would be him.”

Sunset gave a thankful smile, “Thank you. Do you know where I can find him?”

Tempest shook her head, “I’m sorry, I don’t. In our time here the only thing he’s done is vegetate in front of the TV. If he’s not doing that, it means he was forced out.”

“Then perhaps I can help,” Taro said.

“How?” Sunset asked.

“Ultraman Jack was powerful enough to turn back a tsunami and destroyed a tornado generated by a mated pair of monsters by spinning against the wind. If you turn into Ginga, then go straight to Ginga Harmony, Storm King might think you’re going to use a counterspell, forcing him to stop you.”

How is it that I still manage to be surprised by these guys?’ Sunset thought, filing away that particular bit of information for later, “Well, it’s not like I have any other ideas. Keep the party going, I’ll be right back.”

Without another word, Sunset ran out of her apartment into the rain before being consumed by light.

*////*

At Storm King’s perch, the former yeti had worked up the nerve to step back out onto the roof and was now performing an old yeti jig. Suddenly, a flash of light and distant crash drew his attention to Ultraman Ginga, who now stood above the city.

“Haha! You think you do anything about this storm Ultraman!? Go ahead and try! All the power you can muster cannot budge this storm,” Storm proudly boasted.

He couldn’t tell whether or not Ginga heard him, but all the same, the Ultra flashed a second time enhancing himself to Ginga Harmony. Storm King didn’t know how much more powerful this form was, but he was unwilling to give Ginga a chance to find out.

“No,” Storm King hissed, “This is my storm Ultraman. And I will not let you take it from me!”

In a single smooth motion Storm King brandished his Spark Doll and touched its foot to the Dark Dummy Spark.

DARK LIVE! ELEKING!

The monster launched itself out of the dark cloud it was spawned from and tackled the surprised Ginga Harmony partway into a building. Eleking stood back up and slapped Ginga across the face with its right hand but Ginga blocked the following left slap, punched the monster in the collar bone, kneed it in the side, then braced his foot against its chest and pushed it off.

Eleking stumbled back but in an instant, it charged again but the Ultra hopped to the side while delivering a chop to its head, sending it completely through the partially destroyed building. With the monster now down, Ginga bent over, grabbed its absurdly long tail, and lifted while spinning for a few revolutions before throwing Eleking across several blocks.

Now having some distance, Sunset was finally able to take stock of her opponent, “This thing feels like trying to punch out a rubber chicken crossed with a basset hound.”

Explain?” Ginga asked.

“Saggy and rubbery.”

Ah, I see. The monster is called Eleking, the weapon of choice of the Alien Pitt. Do not allow Storm King to get its tail around us, it carries a powerful electric charge.

“Explains the rubber then. Hold on here he comes again,” Sunset said as Eleking stood back up.

Eleking shook its fists while screeching in rage then fired out a trio of Light Blades at Ginga, but the Ultra easily destroyed them with precise strikes then charged. The alien monster matched Ginga’s charge but was stopped by the Ultra’s hand bracing against its head, then the Warrior of Light followed up with a couple of chops and an elbow to the back of its head before finishing with a vertical suplex.

Both fighters sprung back onto their feet and went at each other for another engagement. Eleking swung wildly with its right arm but Ginga blocked the swing while punching it away at the same time, ducked under the left swipe while punching it in the gut, then launched into a blindingly fast series of punches to the monster’s chest. Eleking managed to catch Ginga’s wrists but the Giant just kicked the alien titan in the side twice then used a push kick to escape the grapple.

Eleking staggered back then spun around to bring its tail to bear but Ginga gracefully jumped backwards over it, flipped around, and delivered a flying dropkick to the bioweapon’s head, knocking it over. The Ultra then performed a couple of cartwheels before ending with a backflip, mockingly dusted off his shoulder, and resumed his fighting stance.

Storm pulled Eleking’s head out of the ground and rubbed the back of his own with a wince. “Damn, that hurts a lot more than I thought it would.”

“Does that mean you’re ready to give up Storm King?” Sunset asked, already knowing the answer.

“Figures that a pony would run her mouth off, but no. I still have something to even the odds,” Storm King said while brandishing his enhanced Staff of Sacanas.

Sunset could only utter, “Crap,” as the former yeti stabbed his Dummy Spark into the geode.

Unlike the previous geode wielders, the dark clouds exploded out of Eleking and turned into a tornado tall enough to reach the clouds above and powerful enough to rip chunks out of the surrounding buildings. When the black twister finally burst a very different beast stood before Ginga.

In place of the 53-meter tall Eleking stood an 80-meter tall colossus. Eleking’s body had turned completely snow-white covered in black markings resembling lightning bolts. The monster had also grown hair on its head which trailed down its spine and also covered its tail. Its body also became covered in the Storm King’s armor with its antennae changed to resemble the horns of the Storm King’s crown/helmet. The gem from the Staff of Sacanas had also appeared in the middle of Eleking’s face, like a weird cyclops’ eye. As lightning arced across the abomination’s horns, Elestorm roared into the sky with a sound akin to nails on a chalkboard mixed with a drum roll.

Elestorm

Fused Thunder Titan

Sunset was frozen in shock. Not even the largest dragons in Equestria could match the beast’s size. Just before Sunset could shake off the fear, the situation became even worse.

“Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh! Yeow, that was weird. Huh, wh- Hey, I got muscles again,” Elestorm said while performing various flexes.

“Oh no,” Sunset said, realizing that she was up against another lucid fusion monster, and this one had his heart set on killing her.

“Oh yeah, you’re still here. I'm gonna kill you now." Electricity crackled between Elestorm's horns and a sphere of energy expanded between them. With a roar, Elestorm fired a lethal bolt of lightning at Ginga who quickly leaped backwards to avoid the blast which left a deep trench in the ground.

Sunset, snap out of it,” Ginga pleaded, “I know that this foe seems daunting, but we’re the only ones standing between him and the city. Remember who we’re fighting for.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Sunset nodded.

ELEMENT OF MAGIC! POWER TO GINGA!

Twilight Slugger!

Reaching up to his forehead, Ginga summoned his Twilight Slugger just as Elestorm fired another lightning blast. Swinging quickly, Ginga countered the blast with his Harmony Slugger before he cut the distance between them. Lunging at Elestorm, Ginga slashed at the monster’s chest repeatedly but it seemed immune to the strikes. Elestorm smacked Ginga to the ground. He rolled out of the way from a stomp and held up the Twilight Slugger.

“Alright, let’s heat things up!” Sunset declared as she willed Ginga’s Zenshin Crystals to glow red, as they did when setting up the Ginga Fireball attack. “Ginga Firestorm!

Ginga pointed the Twilight Slugger at Elestorm and unleashed a spiraling pillar of fire at the monster. For a moment it seemed to be effective, but then Elestorm’s tail shot out of the flames like an arrow and coiled around the blade, then shot an electric current through it. Ginga was launched backward as his muscles tensed from the shock, landing multiple blocks away. As Sunset willed Ginga into a kneeling position, her breathing was suddenly cut off as Elestorm grabbed hold of the Ultra’s throat.

“No swords this time Ultraman,” Storm said dangling the Twilight Slugger in Ginga’s face from his tail.

Elestorm flung the Twilight Slugger away, then lifted Ginga up, spun around, smashed him into the street, and adjusted his grip before dragging Ginga across the pavement. In desperation, Sunset began scrolling through the Harmony Bracer for options before settling on:

ELEMENT OF LAUGHTER! POWER TO GINGA!

GINGA FIREWORKS SHOWER!”

Elestorm was not impressed by dazzling detonations in his face, “This form doesn’t have eyes retard.”

Elestorm lifted Ginga up again and smashed him down onto a building. Now the fused monster began pounding the Ultra in a manner akin to a rampaging gorilla, then stomped on him twice before kicking Ginga away.

Ginga staggered back onto his feet as his color timer turned red and began to blink. Sunset was running out of time.

Like some horrid faceless snake, Elestorm slithered his tail forward and coiled around Ginga Harmony and pumped him full of electricity for just a moment.

“You’re out of time Ultraman. You were doomed the moment you decided that a little girl was your best choice to fight for you,” Storm said, now dangling Ginga upside down in front of his face as he ran an even stronger current through his tail. “But don’t worry about it, you won’t regret it for much longer.”

Sunset could feel a tingle run through Ginga, Elestorm was gearing up for a lethal charge of electricity.

From inside the Ultra, Sunset could only despair, “Ginga, girls, I’m sorry. I tried my best.” Sunset closed her eyes and waited for the pain to come.

Instead of pain, however, the sound of bombs detonating against Elestorm’s hide and the feeling of the monster’s tail slacking greeted her. Upon opening her eyes, Sunset could see that several military jets had entered the fray.

“Gweh, bug out you flying scrap. This ain’t your fight,” Storm said while firing on them with a lightning beam from his gem.

The planes nimbly shifted out of the way and fired their guns, but Sunset knew it was only a matter of time before Elestorm caught one of them. “No. I won’t let you harm them!

With a mighty push, Ginga escaped from Elestorm’s coils, landed on his feet, then sprung back up to catch the monster with a spinning butterfly kick as it turned to face him. The blow spun Elestorm around allowing Ginga to jump up onto the monster’s head. The Ultra wrapped his legs around the beast’s neck, punched it twice in the head, then twisted his body, throwing Elestorm off balance and toppling it.

Ginga jumped off shortly before Elestorm hit the ground, but quickly lept upon it again with a grip akin to a rancher wrestling a bull as the fused monster attempted to rise. The Ultra kneed the monster in the face and smashed it into the pavement twice before Elestorm bucked its head to throw him off. Ginga landed on his feet, turned around, dodged a straight punch from Elestorm, countered with a right hook and left uppercut, ducked under a wild swing, struck back with a backflip kick to the chin, then jumped back from the monster’s double hammer fist. With a technique resembling a wire-fu hero, Ginga kicked off a building behind him and slogged Elestorm with a flying haymaker, but as the monster fell, he flipped over its head, took hold of its horns while tucking its head into his shoulder, and threw the titanic terror with a mighty heave. Elestorm landed on his stomach a distance away.

“Grrr, now you’re pissing me off!” Storm hissed as he lifted its massive form into a kneeling posture.

Elestorm shot its tail forward, attempting to coil around Ginga again, but Sunset was ready this time and compelled the Ultra to jump, then went to the Harmony Bracer.

ELEMENT OF GENEROSITY! POWER TO GINGA!

GINGA DIAMOND SLASH!

Ginga threw his hands up to the Zenshin Crystal on his head, summoning a cloud of diamond dust around him, then threw them forward as the dust coalesced into a pair of disks that cut Elestorm’s tail to ribbons. The sudden loss of weight behind the titan unbalanced it, sending it back to all fours.

“OW! Okay, enough is enough! Die now!” Storm roared as his horns began arcing with electricity.

Elestorm blasted lightning in all directions in an attempt to overwhelm Ginga with sheer volume of fire, destroying multiple jets in the effort. The Ultra bobbed and weaved to the best of his ability but he was growing ever closer to timing out.

“How is this possible? He shouldn’t be able to generate this level of a charge,” Sunset said.

We need a weak point. Some vulnerability we can exploit to cripple if not destroy him outright,” Ginga continued.

“Sunset!” A new voice cried.

“Taro? What are you-?” Sunset began.

“There’s no time! Tempest sent me to tell you, to break the crystal embedded in Eleking’s head,” the tiny Ultra urged.

“Whuh? R-right,” Sunset stammered, then went to the Harmony Bracer.

ELEMENT OF LOYALTY! POWER TO GINGA!

"GINGA! RAINBOOM KICK!"

Ginga rocketed down from the sky with one leg outstretched as a rainbow-colored trail and shockwave burst out from behind him. Elestorm answered with a directed lightning beam but the Ultra’s attack broke through and ground down the length of the ray. Finally, Ginga struck the gem to the sound of a cry from Storm, and a tremendous crack and shower of sparks heralding a massive shockwave that completely dispelled the building storm.

Ginga skidded to a stop several blocks away and twisted his body so he could face his opponent. Elestorm was wailing while clutching its burned face, its horns shattered, and purple blood ran down from the wound that once housed its gem.

“Huh, not so tough now, are you?” Sunset taunted.

We don’t have enough time for gloating, Sunset,” Ginga reminded sternly.

“S-sorry,” Sunset said, then turned the dial to the symbol of the Book of Harmony.

ELEMENTS OF HARMONY! POWER TO GINGA!

Ginga brought his hands together as if in prayer as a matching symbol appeared behind him. He then moved his hands up and in a circular motion. As his hands passed a gem it dissolved into light and gathered into his arms until they finally met around his color timer.

HARMONY MIRACLE RAY!

Ginga threw his hands into a cross formation firing a beam of pulsating rainbow light straight into Elestorm’s chest. The attack seemed to have no effect for the briefest of moments after the ray cut off, but then the titan slumped to its knees, petrified, and then detonated in a brilliant display of fire and light. From within the flames, a pair of lights emerged and entered Ginga’s color timer. Before Sunset could get a chance to see what she collected, however, Ginga forced her to transform back.

*////*

A dirty hand reached out of a nondescript trash bin pulling the thoroughly thrashed Storm King into the trash-filled backlot.

“Oh,” he hissed out with a long groan.

He turned his head to his right and couldn’t help but smile slightly. For just out of his reach, was the intact though geodeless Staff of Sacanas. Storm rolled himself over to reach his left hand out for his staff only to have the unmistakable pincer tipped foot of the Alien Baltan.

“Oh, for-. What do you want?” Storm growled.

“Oh, it doesn’t want anything,” a feminine voice said, drawing Storm’s attention over to Fall. “The same can’t be said for me. Baltan, if you would?”

The alien insect moved its foot off of Storm’s hand, allowing him to reclaim the Staff of Sacanas.

“What the hell? I fought Ultraman and lost. As far as I’m concerned, my obligations are fulfilled here and I’m going home whether you like it or not,” Storm declared and attempted to walk away.

“You’re not going anywhere. In this world or Equestria,” Fall said.

Storm King paused, ‘I do not like that phrasing.

“You see, I never liked you Storm,” Fall continued, “Always complaining but never contributing to the plans. I’m not alone in my opinions, none of the others can stand you either, and wish you were dead. Now that is something I can arrange in an instant, but I’m nothing if not sporting, so I’m going to give you a chance.”

Now Fall produced a Dark Dummy Spark and accompanying Spark Doll.

"Let's play," Fall grinned as she activated the Spark Doll.

DARK LIVE! DARK ZAGI!

Standing before the defeated Storm King in Fall’s place, was now a figure akin to an Ultraman with armor black as the night around them and red eyes.

Storm King could see this for what it was, “I see. You intend to kill me. WELL, TOUGH SHIT! I’M NOT PLANNING ON DYING TONIGHT!”

With a mighty cry, he grabbed hold of the Staff of Sacanas and fired a lightning bolt at Dark Zagi drawing a grunt from Fall. Closing the distance, Storm ducked under a right hook and jabbed Zagi in the gut with the gem of the Staff, causing a concussive blast that sent Zagi kneeling. Sensing that he had the advantage, Storm lept upon Zagi and began repeatedly striking him with his staff.

I’MNOTDYINGI’MNOTDYINGI’MNOTDYINGI’MNOTDYINGI’MNOTDYINGI’MNOT-!” The Staff of Sacanas suddenly stopped and couldn’t move any longer. Standing up with the Staff in his hand, was Dark Zagi, no worse for the wear.

“My turn,” Fall said and drove Zagi’s fist into Storm King’s stomach with a meaty crack.

Now Storm wasn’t a doctor, but with the growing sensation in his guts, he was pretty sure he didn’t need to be. Nor did he need an x-ray or ultrasound to know that he had massive internal bleeding and trauma. Spitting up blood Storm’s grip on the Staff of Sacanas weakened and he stumbled back to the ground clutching his stomach.

“Shit. Shitshitshitshit!” Storm King choked out as he crawled backward.

Zagi tossed away the staff and stalked towards Storm.

“What do you think this is going to achieve, huh? Even if you manage to beat Sunset and her merry band of sluts, you’re still going to be under Lugiel’s heel. Hahaha! YOU ARE, AND WILL ALWAYS BE LUGIEL’S BI-!” Storm was cut off by Fall’s Zagi Lightning completely atomizing him.

“Thank whoever exists that he’s shut up,” Fall said, changing out of Dark Zagi. “Of course, now I need to come up with a new plan, but I can roll with that.” She then walked over and picked up the discarded Staff of Sacanas, “No geode. Figures. No matter, the staff itself still has enough magic to keep me going.”

Fall opened her amulet and drained the legendary artifact dry, turning it into little more than the stick it resembled. With the Staff now useless to all, Fall cast it aside only for it to land before a very familiar pair of shoes.

“Oh, joy,” Fall quietly hissed, then went into a sarcastic bow. “What does my esteemed taskmaster want with me tonight?”

Mind your tone, lest I strike you down where you stand,” Dark Lugiel threatened then began pacing. “One of my Spark Dolls has gone missing. An immensely powerful monster called Doragory. You wouldn’t happen to know where it is, would you?

“As much as I would love to piss you off and say yes, no.”

I thought not.

“Gk! Then why did you even ask!?” Fall raged but was ignored by Lugiel.

I suspect that the thief is otherworldly in origin.

“There are no other Equestrians in this world that know about you if that’s what you’re getting at.”

Oh the suspect is extradimensional, but they are no Equestrian. Keep a very close watch on those geodes of yours, they are very likely to come after them,” Lugiel said then disappeared without another word.

Fall’s mouth hung open, having been cut off from pressing Lugiel. When she finally did speak, it was with a mighty cry of:

“MOTHERFUCKING OMINOUS SAY NOTHING BULLSHIT!”

*////*

The door of Sunset’s apartment swung open allowing its owner to stumble in from the still slick Canterlot streets.

“Rough night?” Rainbow joked, earning glares from the entire apartment, “Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood.”

Pinkie Pie of all people clapped Rainbow over the back of her head hard and hissed, “Not. Funny.”

“Sunset!” Twilight gasped, fretting over her friend, “Are you okay? Any injuries?”

“I’m fine,” Sunset replied but the disbelieving glare of the princess forced her to amend her claim. “Well, I’m not great, but I am in one piece.”

“And thank goodness for that! I thought that brute was going to kill you for sure this time,” Rarity fussed.

“Aw, I knew she had it covered,” Pinkie said with a dismissive handwave.

“Liar!” Trixie barked, “You were freaking out more than anyone here!”

(Flashback)

*Unintelligible sounds of Pinkie completely losing her damn mind.*

(Flashback end)

“Yeah, but she didn’t need to know that,” Pinkie said.

“Don’t give Sunset all the credit,” Taro chimed in, “It was Tempest that discovered Eleking’s weakness after all.”

Tempest withdrew a bit at the sudden attention.

“Speaking of,” Wallflower said,” How did you know to go after that gem?”

Tempest went quiet as if in thought, then said, “His horns. The entire fight he had been pulling lightning towards them. Why would he do that if they weren’t important?”

The room met her statement with a collection of nods, then she added, “Also it was a really obvious target that I’m shocked you didn’t go after immediately.”

“Hey, you try remaining calm when the guy you’re in a punchup with suddenly gains a few meters on you,” Sunset with a pout.

“How did he do that anyway? Adagio became weird, Tempest… did a thing. But they never grew in size,” Rainbow asked.

“While true, that is a gross oversimplification of the facts,” Twilight corrected, “Adagio’s geode was still a work in progress, while Tempest didn’t have her heart in the fight. Storm King, however, had his heart dead set on killing Sunset, on top of having an improved geode. Those factors fed into each other, allowing him to tap into even greater power. Speaking of which, where is he? He needs to be returned so he can stand trial in Equestria.”

“I don’t know. Ginga didn’t have enough time to allow me to look for him,” Sunset said.

“If the lyin’ murderin’ snake is even still alive,” Applejack hissed.

Sunset’s stomach dropped, “What do mean?”

“Storm King destroyed a lot of jets with that light show at the end there, and Ah didn’t see no parachutes.”

“You think the Elements of Harmony have a limit to what they’re willing to put up with?” Twilight asked.

“Ah’m just sayin’, tryin’ to kill someone and failing is one thing, but tryin’ and succeeding is another,” Applejack said.

Sunset, to say the least, did not take the news well.

People had died!

People had died and she had been unable to save them!

Those pilots had friends, families, and now they would not be going home.

And it was all her fault.

“I should’ve been more careful!” Sunset cried out.

“Sunset...?” Twilight reached out to her but the girl backed away.

“I was too careless! I was too focused on trying to beat the Storm King, I didn’t even notice there were jets! I let those pilots down! I let them die!” Sunset took out the Ginga Spark, looking at it. She began to question herself. “If I can’t save anyone...do I even deserve this power?”

As a young filly, and as Celestia’s students, Sunset used to believe she was entitled to power. Things like guilt never registered. Now, though, she had grown up and discovered the Magic of Friendship. As Ginga’s host, she now had a responsibility.

But how could she carry out the responsibility if she couldn’t save those pilots?

“Then quit,” Tempest said, plainly.

“Huh?” Sunset choked out.

“If you can’t handle this one setback, how can you carry the fate of two worlds on your shoulders.”

“Tempest,” Twilight warned, but the former Storm Guard continued unperturbed.

“No, she needs to hear this. Those pilots made their choice. They knew the odds. They knew they likely weren’t going to make it, but they still did it, and do you know why? Because they believed in Ultraman. They believed, that even if they died, at least you would have a chance to pull through a win. Yet here you are, freaking out and squandering their sacrifice. How DARE you! Does it suck that they died? Of course, it does. It’s perfectly reasonable to feel what you’re feeling. But a hell of a lot more people are going to die if you don’t nut up. You’re not up against a bunch of teenagers anymore, Sunset, you’re in the big leagues now, and it’s only going to get harder from here.”

Tempest concluded her speech with an angry huff and stern glare to the silence of the apartment.

“Holy shit,” Rainbow whispered.

“I mean… I get that. But-,” Sunset started but Tempest spoke again.

“You can’t do anything for them now Sunset. The only thing you can do is make sure that the people they left behind have a future to remember them in,” Tempest advised.

"She's right," Taro agreed. "We cannot save everyone. But we cannot let such failures stop us."

Sunset looked silently at everyone. Her failure still weighed on her shoulders but she was the only one standing between Lugiel and Multiversal destruction. She could not let one failure stop her but she still needed to clear her head.

“Okay,” Sunset sniffed, “Just, could I have some time to process this?”

“I don’t think that’s our choice to make. That’s on Fall and Lugiel, and they aren’t going to wait for you to get over your guilt complex,” Tempest said.

Sunset looked away from Tempest with a downcast expression on her face.

“I do know one way you can start though,” Tempest said.

“What’s that?” Sunset asked.

Tempest bashfully looked down, then held out a controller and said, “Could you show me how to play these games?”

The entire apartment went into a shocked silence save a growing squeal from Pinkie Pie. For, at last, the party truly began.