• Published 18th Nov 2019
  • 407 Views, 12 Comments

Twilight and the Jewel of Life - King Ice



An unspeakable evil threathen to destroy the entirity of Equestria. Luna, Twilight and her friends must find the only item able to save them: The Jewel of Life. However, they are not the only ones seeking it. Can Equestria be saved on time?

  • ...
0
 12
 407

Celestia's call

“Something isn’t right…” Twilight mumbled as she looked out of the windows, observing multiple unknown unicorns she had ne'er seen until now.

“What do you mean?” Starlight asked, raising an eyebrow.

“For some reason, there has been many unicorns passing through Ponyville these last few days,” She answered while scratching the back of her head. "I would have understood if they were coming visiting, but they’re all leaving as fast as they came! Do you think there’s something wrong?”

Twilight looked worried as she closed the book she was reading while Starlight, who was organizing the library, stopped to think about her question.

“I-I don’t know. There wasn’t anything unusual on the news and…” She started before getting interrupted by the young dragon assistant coming in.

“And Princess Celestia would have contacted you if your help was needed,” Spike added while yawning.“You worry too much sometimes. Do like me! Take a good nap, and you’ll feel way better!”

Twilight giggled as if his words were only a joke, then used her magic to place the book back where she took it. “You know I can’t do that, Spike. Although you’re right, Princess Celestia would have written me if I was demanded,”

Just as those words escaped her mouth, her assistant burped green flames from which a scroll was formed. Twilight used her magic to snatch it before it could fall on the floor. It looked like it was a letter from Princess Celestia, what a inconvenient timing! It couldn’t be a coincidence, could it? Well, at least she’ll obtain an explanation to what is going on right now. She unrolled the scroll and started reading the extremely brief letter she received.

Princess Twilight Sparkle,

Come to Canterlot as quickly as you can and bring your friends. This is an emergency.

Princess Celestia

It was unusual for the princess to write something that short, but that only proved further Equestria could be in danger again.

“I have to go to Canterlot! I’ll seek the others, and you two take care of the castle!” Twilight said to Spike and Starlight as she teleported away.

The dragon and the unicorn looked at each other in silence until Spike broke. “So… want to go to my room?”

“No,” She replied bluntly while sighing.

Twilight quickly gathered the remaining elements' bearer thanks to her teleportation spell. Although some of them were busy; they didn’t have any other choice than to follow the princess anyway. The only really worried during their train ride was Twilight, which was no surprise at all to her friends.

Twilight had an eerie feeling for a few days; a feeling of dread. She disregarded it at first, but it could never leave the back of mind, the devouring fear. She thought it was due to stress and all the threats she’s faced before returning as nightmares, waking the remnants of fear that lived in her head. Maybe that fear and dread had something to do with why was Princess Celestia calling her. She knew the Princess of the sun had powers to see the future at rare times; could it be possible she was gaining the same powers as time passed? Or was it just an uneasy feeling because of the overflow of stress.

“Are you alright, darling?” Rarity asked as she sat beside her alicorn friend.

“I… I’m not really certain. I have an unpleasant feeling about this, Princess Celestia looked bothered in her letter… and impatient?” She answered with a question, unsure of what to think of the letter she received.

“I don’t know how the Princess usually is in her letters. But it wouldn’t be the first time we had to face a dangerous enemy,” Rarity reassured her while their friends joined them.

“Yeah, we’ll kick their butt like we always do! I bet the Princess is worrying again for no reason at all! She should put more trust into us!” Rainbow Dash added while crossing her legs.

“Now, Rainbow Dash, Princess Celestia has many duties! She has the right to fear for the safety of her subjects!” Applejack scolded the rainbow-maned pegasus. Rainbow groaned and rolled her eyes at the farm pony.

“I just hope we’ll get it done quickly. I have a massage to give to Harry this evening,” Fluttershy mumbled before Pinkie jumped beside her.

“I couldn’t wait to come back in Canterlot! I prepared so many cupcakes!” The pink mare yelled while jumping back and forth.

“Cupcakes? Why?” Twilight raised an eyebrow, slightly forgetting her worry.

“Oh, for no reason at all! I just thought it’d be fun!” She replied before devouring an entire cupcake in one bite.

“What? But that doesn’t make any sense…” Twilight started only to be interrupted by laughter. She glanced around and saw her friends laughing or chuckling in some cases. “Did I miss something?”

“See? You already forgot you were worried in the first place!” Rainbow Dash replied, followed by a chuckle.

“As long as we’re together, nothing can stop us. So don’t start Twilighting now,” Applejack added with a wink.

Twilight stared at them dumbfounded, then smiled warmly. “Thanks, girls. You always know how to cheer me up,” She said as they all gathered in a group hug.

“Besides, we’ve already fought the terriblest enemies in Equestria! There couldn’t be anything worse than Discord or Tirek!” Pinkie Pie said cheerfully.

***

“This is without a doubt the worst threat you have and will ever face,” Princess Celestia said in a cold tone.

Twilight stepped back and accordingly did her friends.

“I’m sorry, but could you repeat that please?” Applejack hesitantly and fearfully.

“Yeah, I think we didn’t hear you right,” Rainbow Dash added while scratching the back of her head.

However, Celestia kept her calm and cold demeanor. She merely stared at them in silence, showing little to no emotion. She focused her eyes on Twilight and did so several seconds during which everyone in the throne room didn’t say a thing nor move; astonishingly, even Pinkie didn’t make a single sound. Luna glanced at her sister, waiting for her to continue. Twilight lowered her eyes until Celestia spoke again.

“There is a serious emergency. A threat older than any of us,” Celestia said, making Twilight look up again. Rare were the creatures as old as the Princesses. “Several orbs made of shadows appeared throughout our world. They are expanding, spreading and eating away everything that it comes in contact with,” She explained in front of the mane 6’s puzzled expressions.

“Is it a living being?” Twilight asked, her interest aroused.

“What do you mean by eating?” Rainbow Dash asked, feeling her stomach growling.

“It is unknown whether it is sentient or not. Everything that gets absorbed never comes out, it completely disappears in darkness. Regrettably, several creatures weren’t fortunate enough to escape…” Celestia answered as the elements’ bearers gasped.“If it’s unstopped, then the world will get erased,”

“What?!” Twilight screamed in shock. How something that dangerous could exist? And why they never heard about it before? She read so much and knew everything about Equestria history, but never read anything about a mass of shadows trying to destroy the world!

“They must be terribly hungry…” Pinkie mumbled before swallowing another cupcake.

“I requested the help of the best unicorns in Equestria, and they are casting a gigantic magic barrier surrounding our borders to defend it from this darkness; moreover, many of them also surrounded the black orbs and imprisoned them inside magical barriers. It seemed to be enough to remain them from spreading,”

“That’s excellent news! If their barriers can stop them, then that means our magic can destroy them. If it doesn’t work, we can use the elements!” Twilight said in delight. Considering the magic of the elements was now residing inside them, and was connected to her castle, they were certainly easier to use.

“Unfortunately, the magic barriers are weakening. Whatever this is, it is getting stronger and will break through our spells. It will spread very quickly to Equestria’s borders and the barriers there won’t do much to stop it…” Celestia replied in a dreadful tone.“I did some research, and found what we are against in this book,” She said as she grabbed the book with a magic hold. “The elements won’t be able to stop it,”

“What?! Then, what do we do?!” Rainbow Dash screamed, dumbfounded.

“That means it’s Equestria’s doom…” Applejack muttered dreadfully, thinking about her family and her home.

Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie did the same while Twilight sat on the floor, trying to think of something. It couldn’t be possible! They always had a way to defeat evil! However, magic nor the elements of Harmony couldn’t do anything now!

“Hear me out; the book I am holding is the key to our victory,” Celestia said, bringing everyone’s mood up. “Millions years ago, the very same darkness came in our world. It spread and destroyed so much life. The Equestrians thought it was their doom; however, the three races out of desperation united for the first time and made a powerful artifact,”

“An artifact?” Twilight repeated in wonder while her friends leaned forwards.

Concurrently, the guard keeping the door narrowed his eyes, listening attentively to what the Princess of the sun was announcing.

“Yes, they created “The Jewel of Life”, a powerful gem that destroyed all darkness. I called you and your friends to find and use it,” Celestia continued.

“Of course, we’ll do it!” The mane 6 said simultaneously with no hesitation.

“Where is it, Princess?” Twilight asked hurryingly.

“Its location is unknown, the book provides some clues, a place you could go to start your investigation to its location,” Celestia answered as her ex-student nodded.“There is another reason for why I selected you to find it, Twilight. Only a powerful and experienced unicorn or alicorn, in this case, can employ the Jewel.”

“I-I won’t let you down, Princess!” Twilight stuttered, her stress level rising. She hated when the fate of the world depended on upon her. While she was trying to keep calm and be relaxed, which failed completely unlike her friends.

“Another adventure! I missed those!” Rainbow Dash jumped in the air and flew around.

“Darn it; I hope it won’t last too long! I have to help my family at the farm! It's the best season for apples.”

“If we are to travel, then it would be a real pleasure! I may find new ways of making clothes! There are little geniuses everywhere in Equestria!” Rarity said while clapping her hooves.

“It’s been so long since I threw a “We saved the world” party!”

“Well, now I sure won’t be able to give Harry his massage,” Fluttershy whispered.

Twilight grumbled, stopping herself to remain serious while the two princesses kept their cold looks. “Why are you so calm about this?” The Princess of Friendship asked of her friends.

“We save the world at least once a month! We’re getting used to it,” Rainbow Dash replied whiles Twilight facehoofed. Then again, she wasn’t totally mistaken.

“Your target would be Appleloosa,” Celestia instructed.

“That’s close to my family’s rock farm!” Pinkie Pie screamed in happiness.

“Luna will also accompany you,” Celestia added as Luna nodded in agreement.

Twilight raised an eyebrow, surprised by their decision. Usually, neither of them ever came with her friends and her when they fought against Equestria’s many threats. When her surprise wore off, it was replaced by happiness and relief.

“We’ll gladly accept your help, Princess Luna!” Twilight replied happily; someone as experienced and strong as Luna was always welcome to help! “We’ll go immediately and find that jewel as quick as we can!” Twilight added before turning her back, ready to go. Her friends turned around as quick as her, going to the doors.

“Wait, Twilight,” Celestia stopped the lavender alicorn in her tracks.“I still have to tell you something else, privately with Luna. Your friends will wait outside,”

Twilight looked at her teacher, then at her friends, and finally nodded; curious of what could Celestia want to say to her in private.

Meantime, as the mane 5 walk through the doors; the guard shifted subtly. “I’m sorry, Princess, but I’m not feeling well. Can I go to rest a little bit, please?” He asked in a pleading tone.

“You may, but call a replacement,” Luna answered dismissively.

The guard smirked, then calmly exited the room. As soon as he was out, he sprinted in the corridors, barely bumping into Fluttershy.

“Wow, pay attention to where you’re going, jerk!” Rainbow Dash shouted at him, but was ignored by the distant guard.

“It’s fine, Rainbow,” Fluttershy calmed the wonderbolt, disliking her friend's short temper.

They didn’t have to wait too long for Twilight and Luna to come out of the throne room, only a few minutes later. However, the lavender alicorn looked shaken, way more than she was before. This was unusual. Even if the Princess stressed and scared Twilight multiple times in the past, this was the first time the bookworm looked so pale and terrified.

“Are you alright, Twi?” Rainbow Dash asked, raising an eyebrow. “You look pale. What did the Princess told you?”

Twilight glanced at Luna, who looked away. “Nothing serious. Let’s go, we don’t have any time to lose,” She answered in a hurry.