• Published 17th Nov 2019
  • 417 Views, 48 Comments

Guarded Emotions: The Final Season - Alabenson



A collection of vignettes concerning what Captain Moonwhisper was doing during the episodes of Season 9.

  • ...
1
 48
 417

A Trivial Problem

Running fashion boutiques in three separate cities necessitated many things of Rarity. An inventory management system rivalling any filing system concocted by Twilight or Pinkie Pie, for example. Or a carefully curated set of store managers able to keep the stores running in her absence. What it required most of all, however, was travel, and a sense of when traveling to visit a given show was needed. And, with another bout of Trivia Trot ensuing, one where Twilight was be attempting to accomplish her coveted ‘three-peat’ no less, Rarity determined that this was the perfect time to visit Canterlot Boutique. Or anywhere that wasn’t in Ponyville, really.


Unfortunately, as was increasingly the case, the Friendship Express was absolutely packed. Rarity passed through three of the cars without seeing a single open seat, and not even her poutiest eyelash flutter could convince anypony to vacate their seats.

“Thank Celestia I decided against wearing my boots today,” Rarity muttered to herself as she made her to the next car up. “They may be fashionable, but they are not something I’d want to have to stand in all the way to Canterlot.” Thankfully, as Rarity stepped into the latest train car, she finally spotted a single empty seat. Knowing better than to question a bit of good fortune, Rarity swiftly hurried over and addressed the stallion next to the vacant seat. “Pardon me, would you mind if I sat here?” Rarity asked, more as a courtesy than anything else.

“I don’t mind, go right – Miss Rarity?” The stallion turned from the window revealing himself to be Moonwhisper.

“Moonwhisper, what a delightful surprise,” Rarity said as she seated herself. “Headed off to Canterlot on official royal business, I presume.” While Rarity wouldn’t have necessarily classified Moonwhisper a friend, or at least not a particularly close one, she still knew him well enough to feel compelled to make at least a token effort at small talk.

“Strictly speaking, its official guard business,” Moonwhisper replied. “I have some final paperwork that needs to be filed regarding the establishment of Fort Everfree. To be honest, I could have had Lieutenant Silver Streak deliver them, but I felt it might be prudent to distance myself from Ponyville for today, given the…circumstances.”

“Trivia Trot?” Rarity asked in a knowing tone.

“As much as I’d like to support Twilight’s efforts…” Moonwhisper began before Rarity waved a hoof to silence him.

“No need to sugarcoat things, I know how Twilight can be when it come to these silly trivia games. Honestly, she gets as bad as Applejack and Rainbow Dash do when they start competing with each other, and those two are involved in the game as well. Fluttershy is too, now that I think about it, and even she can be a bit overbearing when she’s playing that thing. Really, if you ask me, something about that game just seems to bring out the absolute worst in ponies.”

“That was the general impression I received from Miss Starlight as well,” Moonwhisper said. “Should I assume, then, that you’ve also timed this trip to avoid any possible trivia contest-related fallout as well?”

“It’s not as though I didn’t have business that needs attending to in Canterlot, anyway,” Rarity said defensively. “Today just happened to be particularly convenient.” A few seconds of slightly awkward silence ticked by before Rarity spoke up again. “So, how are things going between you and Twilight?”

“…they’re fine. Everything’s fine,” Moonwhisper quickly replied.

Rarity knew very well, of course, that there were many potential meanings when a stallion replied that things in their relationship were ‘fine’. In this particular case, Moonwhisper’s slight blush and the way he was suddenly avoiding eye contact told Rarity that ‘fine’ was likely something of a substantial understatement. And that Applejack likely owed Rainbow Dash about ten bits.

“Well, I’m certainly glad to hear that things are going fine between you and Twilight. Twilight is one of my closest friends, after all,” Rarity said. Another uncomfortable silence followed before Rarity spoke up again. “I must admit, this is a tad awkward. It feels like we really know each other better, given how close we both are to Twilight, but in all honesty I think this might be the most we’ve ever spoken to one another.”

“It’s not all that surprising. We both have responsibilities that keep us quite busy. I’m in charge of Twilight’s personal security as well as the protection of Ponyville as a whole. Meanwhile, you manage three separate stores in entirely different cities on top of the work you do at Twilight’s school. Given that our respective duties tend not to have much in the way of overlap, it’s not all that surprising that we don’t interact all that often. Plus, given what I know about mare’s fashion –”

“What exactly do you know about mare’s fashion?” Rarity asked in a bemused tone.

“Mostly that it changes with sufficient frequency that keeping track of it would require a greater investment in time and energy than I could afford,” Moonwhisper replied. “I’ve more or less come to the conclusion that if the subject does even become relevant, it would be more efficient to consult with somepony who’s already an expert rather than maintaining knowledge of the subject myself.”

“And I suppose I would be the ‘expert’ in question?” Rarity asked, to which Moonwhisper shrugged.

“Assuming you were available and the circumstances permitted consultation with a civilian, then yes, you would be somepony I’d likely speak with if I had questions on that topic. Under different circumstances I’d most likely consult Lieutenant Silver Streak,” Moonwhisper replied.

“Lieutenant Silver Streak?” Rarity asked somewhat surprised. “I admit I believe I can recall seeing her in my boutique from time to time, but I never thought much of it. You’re saying that she’s particularly interested in fashion?”

“As I understand it, the lieutenant is something of a…I believe the term is ‘clothes horse’,” Moonwhisper replied. “While I try not to pry too much into my subordinates personal affairs, I do maintain a working knowledge of any areas of expertise they may possess on the chance they may become your duties.”

“That does raise one other question, though,” Rarity said. “I’m usually the first one to point out the importance of fashion, but even I have a little trouble seeing how it could be relevant to your usual duties.”

Moonwhisper simply shrugged in response. “It’s admittedly unlikely to come up, but I’ve always felt that it’s better to be prepared for an eventuality that never come than to be caught off guard.”

“I suppose that does make a certain amount of sense,” Rarity replied as she thought back to what Fluttershy had told her about Twilight’s preparations for their first Friendship mission. “If not thing else, that’s exactly what I’d expect from Twilight’s special somepony.”

Moonwhisper pulled himself up a little straighter at that. “Thank you, Miss Rarity.”

*********