• Published 8th Nov 2019
  • 878 Views, 27 Comments

Diamond Tiara saves Scootaloo's Life - lytlethelemur



Disaster at a class field trip links Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara into a tentative friendship.

  • ...
2
 27
 878

Chapter 9_Show Time!

The concert venue was a glorious open air amphitheater, perched in a natural bowl in the plateau. The spires of Canterlot Castle made for a spectacular backdrop towering above the stage, the cream orange hue of dusk’s light bathing the massive turrets that hung over the cliff face. The natural stone made for the perfect audible experience with the comforts and amenities of a modern venue. Even with will call ticketing, the sheer number of attendees forced the fillies to lose precious time on the way to their box seats. Their arrangements were comfortable but unlike the train car they were surrounded by ponies and other creatures, standing room only for late comers. Ponies were still packing the amphitheater to capacity even as the last of the opening acts performed on stage.

Screaming through a microphone a mint green pegasus blurted out a barely discernible, anti- establishment ballad. Thankfully the massive crowd only had to endure a few more minutes of the punkish assortment of a rock band called ‘Lock, Stalk, and Barrel’, at least that’s what Scootaloo could discern before a cacophony of boos descended upon the unfortunate band. The foul mouthed pegasus and her motley crew were soon off the stage with not a few bits of produce being hurled their direction. The singer making a clumsy exit with a single feather extended on each wing toward the crowd, a gesture that Rainbow Dash cautioned Scootaloo never to repeat.

Time passed as stage hooves swept up the debris and Feather Bangs was announced to a thunderous applause from the audience. Sweat beaded from Scootaloo’s forehead and her well-traveled sandwich was dripping grease underneath her dress. She hesitated, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were giddy with excitement, Scootaloo found it hard to ruin that moment. Even though she couldn’t stand the adventure from the start, wanting so badly for it to end, her heart kept holding her back. Diamond Tiara was trying so hard to be her friend and Scootaloo was struggling to bring herself to end the whole ordeal.

‘Come on…’ Scootaloo’s mind raced ‘hold out that sandwich in front of her face, all she has to do is ‘save you’ and boom! You’re free! Even steven, she no longer owes you anything Scootaloo! Don’t miss another chance, do it now! Do it now!’

Scootaloo’s shaking hoof reached down her dress to retrieve the sandwich… this was her chance.

‘ Nerves don’t fail me now.’ thought Scootaloo.

Yo Girl….

Bright lights came on, Scootaloo froze in place, a steady rumble of enthusiastic screams started gushing from the crowd…

“Oh no…”, Scootaloo began to sweat…

Yo Girl, you must be a parking ticket…” the unseen, all too familiar ,sanguine voice reverberated through the amphitheater.

The sun had just set, a blue fog rolled across the stage…

“Why’d you wait so long?…” ,moaned Scootaloo under her breath.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon held their breath, their pupils dilating to the size of dinner plates, sparkling in anticipation.

…CAUSE YOU GOT FINE WRITTEN ALL OVER YOU!

A roar from the crowd, Scootaloo felt a rush of wind from behind, just a few feet above her… WOOSH! She just made out a glittery pony glide above her, she was lost amongst a sea of failing limbs, pink and silver cannons clasped around her tightly. Her hoof squished into her sandwich, she felt a noodle slide into her navel.

“ FEATHERBANGS!” screamed Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

Scootaloo felt sick to her stomach. The devil himself had gilded on a cable so close overhead and now the glittering spectacle was dancing on the stage in front of her, complete with perfectly synchronized back up dancers. As the blonde and frosted tip teenage monstrosity retched out a song about getting a parking ticket and wooing the issuing policemare, gross. Only Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon’s excited embrace kept Scootaloo from losing the contents of her stomach. It was too late, she missed at least three opportunities to execute her plan, and was now in the belly of the beast. Scootaloo gulped, she knew that she would have to literally face the music and see Featherbangs face to face once intermission rolled around. She closed her purple eyes trying to purge the drum machine, the sappy lyrics, the bellows of the masses. Here brow furrowed in frustration

‘I gotta eat that sandwich… if it’s the last thing I do.’


It was a terrible and agonizing ordeal, even the gum and popcorn kernels Scootaloo found the floor made for poor ear plugs, but could one blame a desperate filly? The songs just kept coming, straight from Tartarus, those wailing songs just kept coming. Special gems like; Baby are you hurting? Cause you fell from heaven’ and the familiarI lost your number can I have your’s ?’ song. Scootaloo was biting her lip and squeezing her sandwich tightly by then. Diamond Tiara and SilverSpoon were dancing and having the time of their lives, not noticing that Scootloo had a hoof down the front of her dress , contracted pupils, and a twitching eyelid.

“Stay strong”, whispered Scootaloo to herself.

At the end of the Song Girl can you be the tape to fix my broken heart?’ Scootaloo could hear a familiar voice from up above.

“ Whoo Hooo, Encore! Encore!” ,

A bicycle powered gyrocopter with candy cane railings hovered overhead, the pilot’s pink hoof was tossing about a mixture of confetti and cheese puffs in approval.

‘Pinkie Pie’? though Scootaloo.

She caught a stray cheese puff and judging by its fragrance Pinkie had a little too much cider this evening. Scootaloo remember the cupcakes she was denied yesterday and debated eating the cheese puff or using it as a better ear plug. The night wore on, at one time Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon did manage to get Scootaloo to do a half-hearted bopping dance with them.

“Oh Celestia this is awkward”, said Scootaloo aloud.

But no one could hear her as she reluctantly bobbed back and forth over the grating, carnival- like music of Girl you’re so cute, are you related to a baby?.’ On stage the background dancers were in sparkling diapers and Feather Bangs was being wheeled around in an oversized, baby crib to a five minute chorus of Goo-Goo, Wha-ha, Goo-goo, Gaa-Gaa, Waa- Ha’. It would be a funny spectacle save for the insipid anguish of the ordeal.

‘how could so many ponies and creatures love this filth?,’ thought an irritated Scootaloo

Scootaloo’s ears hurt, she closed her eyes, she began to sob, ‘… when will this stop?’

“Whoo hoo, Canterlot!…”, a sultry,youthful, microphone amplified voice proclaimed, to a throng of cheers and encore.

A pause in the music, Scootaloo caught her breath, the makeup carefully applied by Diamond Tiara for last minute touch ups enroute ran down her cheeks. She watched droplets of sweat, tears, and masquera drop in inky blots on the pavement before her hooves. Pinkies pie’s cheese puff fell to the floor from her left ear and she could hear the devil himself speak in between blown kisses.

“ Oh oh Canterlotians… canterloters…whatever! Mooah! Mooah! Mooah ! I love you all!”

More Cheering.

“ We are gonna take a little break …”

There was a brief silence followed by not a few boos and cries of disappointment peppering forth from the masses.

“ No worries... no worries, my fair feathered friends…” chucked Feather bangs with flick of his sweaty mane.

Fair Feathered Friends, or triple-Fs, was a coined term for his fans. Scootaloo noted with a suppressed gag, Diamond Tiara had dutifully informed her of that cursed phrase.

“ Cause when the big hand is half-way or something on the clock, you’ll be hear’n a sampling of my latest songs for my upcoming album… ‘Girl, do you have a special some pony? Cause if you do, that’s cool, cause that don’t bother me.’

Before he could finish the idiotically, long album name the crowd erupted once again in excitement. Scootaloo was barely coherent, just happy her ears and sanity had survived the lyrical onslaught, but just barely, she couldn’t do it again.

“Scootaloo, let’s go! Let’s go!”, an exuberant Diamond Tiara beckoned.

Scootaloo shifted two bloodshot eyes in Diamond Tiara’s direction. A large, well dressed stallion, Feather Bang’s security detail, was waiting patiently.

“Please follow me, miss.” his deep voice called to her. Scootaloo could only nod but was quickly whisked forward in the giddy embrace of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon who cajoled and cheered in delight. The Stallion spoke into his ear piece as he parted the crowd with his imposing presence.

“V.I.P’s accounted for, enroute”.

“We're gonna see Feather Bangs!” hollered Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in almost synchronized jubilation.

They almost lifted Scootaloo off the ground as they followed security through the masses. Scootaloo felt more like a wrongly convicted prisoner emerging from her cell to be led to the gallows. Using her wing, her feathers stroke the greasy wax paper that held the key to her escape.

“It is time,” she said to herself, no pony could hear her promise over the commotion.

She missed her moment too many times, there would be no more hesitations.


This was the best day in Diamond Tiara’s life, in retrospect it made getting her Cutie Mark seem so childish, this felt like the pinnacle of her life. She was just moments away from meeting the boldest, most talented, and most handsome stallion of the Equestrian pop music scene. They made their way to the dressing rooms, the light blue, heavy built stallion from security escorting them briskly through the frenzied corridors. Stage hoofs, gaffers, makeup artists, and a few dancers were hurrying about trying to get everything ready for the second part of the show. Diamond Tiara was in awe of the whole operation, rivaling the ceremonies of the alicorn princesses themselves. She was brimming with happiness, her steps were light as a feather. They were the only special guests admitted for this concert and best of all she was among friends. Diamond Tiara was on top of the world. But in lieu of all the bounty of privilege and master planning, Diamond Tiara could feel something was off, particularly in her friend Scootaloo.

‘Poor Scootaloo, she is having a rough night’ , she thought in between excited chatter with Silver Spoon over meeting Feather Bangs.

She remembered her apprehension for meeting Feather Bangs from the day before. Diamond Tiara was sure his live performance, which was amazing, would convince Scootaloo she had gotten a bad first impression. But Diamond Tiara’s heart ached a bit to see ponyville’s new junior elite, her new best friend, looking so stressed and frazzled. Her orange face was perfect, her mane immaculately styled into wisps complementing her daring demeanor, her party dress and her leggings stunning and brilliant.

‘Oh, Scootaloo’, thought Diamond Tiara ‘If only you realize how special you are, how few ponies are as kind, brave, and passionate as you.’

Diamond Tiara just couldn’t understand, she gave Scootaloo a social standing that very few ponies would acquire or have the capacity to execute. She was rewarding Scootaloo for her heroism, not just from that monstrous bumble bee but from helping her move on from being a bratty, school yard bully. Scootaloo saved her and here was her gratitude… but why was Scootaloo so… uncomfortable? Diamond Tiara bit her lip in thought.

‘Was she shy around crowds?’ she wondered.

Diamond Tiara was beginning to think that Scootaloo didn’t know how to dance. She was like a statue throughout all those amazing songs. Diamond Tiara didn’t have long to dwell on thoughts of having to schedule a future dance lesson when the security guard's deep commanding voice interrupted her train of thought.

“Please wait here.”

They paused just outside a dressing room door with an enormous monogrammed star reading ‘Feather Bangs’ , the guard entered leaving the fillies for a moment. Diamond Tiara could hear her own heart pounding against her rib cage in anticipation. She made a cute little jump in sync with Silver Spoon, reciprocating grins. She glanced back at her friend Scootaloo who was barely keeping up, it was such a conflicting moment. On one hoof euphoria, the stallion whose beautiful music graced her ears would soon grace her presence one on one. Then there was Scootaloo dragging behind, her face in a thousand yard stare like she had been peering into the very depths of Tartarus.

‘Oh…no is that… is that junkfood?… in her ear?’ though Diamond Tiara, the frantic pace of current events and the trip had ebbed and her acute observation was returning. Diamond Tiara turned quickly to Scootaloo.

“ Are you okay Scootaloo?”, she approached, tenderly plucking out the gum from her ear.

“Awhh….yah, just a little tired from all the excitement”, said Scootaloo with a forced smile.

“Did someone drop food on you?” ,pressed Diamond Tiara, “… hmm… what is this?”

She didn’t remember Scootaloo having such a pronounced and boxy chest, it was stretching the fabric. Diamond Tiara remarked at the curious protrusion.

“ Scootaloo what is under your dress?…”

Scootaloo broke out in minor panic and made an abrupt step back.

“Ah…”, her mouth search for the words

“Miss Diamond Tiara and guests?”, came a haughty voice and a fortunate distraction for Scootaloo.

Another stallion had appeared in the doorway of the dressing room. He was in business attire covering a pale coat, his main styled in a messy pompadour, and a pair of spectacles focused his rather unsympathetic face.

“Yes?”, Diamond Tiara turned her attention to him.

“Sven Gallop, Feather Bang’s official manager, a pleasure to meet you all” he replied more out of protocol than politeness, “He is ready.”

Diamond Tiara’s fluttering heart jumped into her throat, her breath nearly taken away. Silver Spoon could not help herself but give the most adorable little squee, shaking with excitement. Scootaloo remained steely eye and just clutched at the odd protrusion at her chest. The moment had arrived.